Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Dublin in 1915.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Recognise anyone in the pictures of Dublin crowds at what's now Connolly Station (then Amiens Street Station) joyously greeting the prisoners released from what's now Portlaoise, (then Maryboro)? Recognise the man who brought home the prison mascot, a cat called Spike, in his coat pocket in 1922?

http://ia601501.us.archive.org/3/items/Mid-weekPictorialJan.51922/MidWeek010522.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1 willow finder

Hello wishbone ash, A while back I think you posted a photo of a funeral on lambay island someone said it was May Dineens funeral. 25-11-2008, was when you posted...The funeral was 1988. My mother-inlaw was at the funeral and in the picture actually. I would love to know where I could find this picture? The link to the pic is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

There are some photos from the International Exhibition held in Dublin in 1907 on www.ireland.anglican.org/about/128

6.jpg

23.jpg

collage5.jpg

More on the Picasa
    album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,252 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

263099.jpg

Ah… the hidden layers of a city. The Gigs Place, the late night eatery on Richmond Street South closed down to some dismay recently. A contender for one of Dublin’s longest running restaurants it was 42 years young when it closed, having opened in 1970. But before the Gigs Place sat Molly Tansey’s “Mayfair Café” which occupied the spot from 1956 -1969. The building work being done on the building has led to the facade to be recently stripped back, revealing a shopfront from a different era.

Source

Anyone remember the place as Mayfair Café ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anyone growing up in Ballymun in the early 80's will be transported back in this with this little gem.

Some great clips of the city center too.

Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 billya

it,s the side of butt bridge and georges quay across from tara dart station there british troops

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Just seen this on Facebook, Here's what it says about he photo: 'College Green in the snow, featuring King Billy. The King William of Orange statue on College Green was eventually removed in 1929, following an explosion in the early hours of Armistice Day that year, but was one of the most vandalised monuments in Dublin prior to that.'

58597_10151215816991693_1052835198_n.jpg

The explosion happened in 1928, the head of the King William III statue is on display now at the "Art under attack exhibition! at Tate Britain gallery , London.

And that statue appears in the relics-of-aul-dacency anecdote in James Joyce's Dubliners, in the last story, The Dead:
    —We used to have a very good horse and trap at home, said Aunt Julia sadly.

—The never-to-be-forgotten Johnny, said Mary Jane, laughing.

Aunt Kate and Gabriel laughed too.

—Why, what was wonderful about Johnny? asked Mr Browne.

—The late lamented Patrick Morkan, our grandfather, that is, explained Gabriel, commonly known in his later years as the old gentleman, was a glue-boiler.

—O, now, Gabriel, said Aunt Kate, laughing, he had a starch mill.

—Well, glue or starch, said Gabriel, the old gentleman had a horse by the name of Johnny. And Johnny used to work in the old gentleman's mill, walking round and round in order to drive the mill. That was all very well; but now comes the tragic part about Johnny. One fine day the old gentleman thought he'd like to drive out with the quality to a military review in the park.

—The Lord have mercy on his soul, said Aunt Kate compassionately.

—Amen, said Gabriel. So the old gentleman, as I said, harnessed Johnny and put on his very best tall hat and his very best stock collar and drove out in grand style from his ancestral mansion somewhere near Back Lane, I think.

Everyone laughed, even Mrs Malins, at Gabriel's manner and Aunt Kate said:

—O now, Gabriel, he didn't live in Back Lane, really. Only the mill was there.

—Out from the mansion of his forefathers, continued Gabriel, he drove with Johnny. And everything went on beautifully until Johnny came in sight of King Billy's statue: and whether he fell in love with the horse King Billy sits on or whether he thought he was back again in the mill, anyhow he began to walk round the statue.

Gabriel paced in a circle round the hall in his goloshes amid the laughter of the others.

—Round and round he went, said Gabriel, and the old gentleman, who was a very pompous old gentleman, was highly indignant. Go on, sir! What do you mean, sir? Johnny! Johnny! Most extraordinary conduct! Can't understand the horse!

The background of the story: Dublin's well-off unionists used to drive their carriages along Dame Street (where they'd salute the statue of William of Orange) from City Hall once a year before heading out to a ball in the Viceregal mansion in the Phoenix Park.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Guy's here are a few photos of powerboat racing on the Liffey Boxing day 1963 if anyone has more photos or info on the racing I'd love to see/hear it.
    Thanks.

Slides-002_zpsf9d0c81c.jpg

Slides-021_zps15c1b9c5.jpg

Slides-038_zpsb53c19ae.jpg

I'm not sure where these are ?

Photos-010_zps461f1d5c.jpg

Photos-011_zpsd7f5dc45.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

fergal.b wrote: »
    Hi Guy's here are a few photos of powerboat racing on the Liffey Boxing day 1963 if anyone has more photos or info on the racing I'd love to see/hear it.
    Thanks.

Nice pics, but 'Boxing Day'???? Were we still part of the British Empire in 1963?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

RainyDay wrote: »
    Nice pics, but 'Boxing Day'???? Were we still part of the British Empire in 1963?

Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone the guy looking for the info is on an english boating site http://www.cmba-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7343 his father was in the race but he has no photos of him so I just thought someone here might have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone the guy looking for the info is on an english boating site http://www.cmba-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7343 his father was in the race but he has no photos of him so I just thought someone here might have one.

Why would anyone take offence over something so harmless? I've lived here most of my life, still call it Boxing Day and know plenty of others who do. It's better than calling it Stephen's Day or Stephens's - as in 'how did ye get on over Stephens's'....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

RainyDay wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone
    Why would anyone take offence over something so harmless? I've lived here most of my life, still call it Boxing Day and know plenty of others who do. It's better than calling it Stephen's Day or Stephens's - as in 'how did ye get on over Stephens's'....:rolleyes:

Mod note: It's not a black and white issue, but it's off topic for this forum, so let's just leave it at that. Tia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Well. It is St Stephen's day. As in it is the feast day of saint Stephen. Have never boxed seen boxing or heard of anyone going boxing on this day so I think it makes sense to refer to it as St Stephens day.

I usually refer to St Sylvester's day as new year's eve because Derek Mooney and Miriam o Callaghan count down to the end of the year rather than the end of St Sylvester's day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Quit with the off topic please, there has been a warning already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭highdef

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Well. It is St Stephen's day. As in it is the feast day of saint Stephen. Have never boxed seen boxing or heard of anyone going boxing on this day so I think it makes sense to refer to it as St Stephens day.

In fairness, Boxing Day has nothing to do with boxing as a sport. Originally it was the day when when servants and tradesmen would receive gifts, known as a "Christmas box", from their bosses or employers. So I don't think there is any need to be so xenophobic :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

highdef wrote: »
    In fairness, Boxing Day has nothing to do with boxing as a sport. Originally it was the day when when servants and tradesmen would receive gifts, known as a "Christmas box", from their bosses or employers. So I don't think there is any need to be so xenophobic :p

Please do not ignore a mod instruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

2qxq1ba.jpg

• Advertisement

Olympic cyclist Michael Walker, who fought under Thomas MacDonagh in Jacob's in 1916:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=15068

Photo showing Annesley Bridge Road in 1898, alongside what is now Fairview Park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Great Pic

How it looks today

299495.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I was saddened this morning to learn of the passing of Shane MacThomais - in my opinion a great historian who ran the tours of Glasnevin Cemetery, and also had a small article from time to time in the Northside People (that's what I knew him for anyway).

Myself and my wife took the Glasnevin Tour with Shane on two occasions, and both times found him interesting, engaging and a humourous guide who's stories and tales brought life to the residents of the graveyard.

Rest In Peace.

1350761420_Shane.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7 neady31

RIP Shane MacThomais - I'm actually reading Dead Interesting at the moment... Fabulous book.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dead interesting is a great read, very sorry to hear he died

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Dead Interesting is well, dead interesting.

he will be a huge loss to Glasnevin.

RIP Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 2 StickGuy

Hi all noticed something on page 24 of this thread and have not had reply to pm.
    I am looking for information/photos on Gings of Dame Street as I believe I am related to family who owned it . I would welcome any information whatsoever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

StickGuy wrote: »
    Hi all noticed something on page 24 of this thread and have not had reply to pm.
    I am looking for information/photos on Gings of Dame Street as I believe I am related to family who owned it . I would welcome any information whatsoever.

You probably have this:
    7112056435_fbedca326e_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 StickGuy

Thanks Spurious , had viewed that photo before, but hadn't saved it. My mother Maureen Doyle lived at 29 Parliament Street as a child in the 40's and I believe her Grandmother Elizabeth Matthews nee Ging ( Stafford Street ) is the family connection. Any information greatly appreciated, a previous poster some years ago. ( G locfk) seemed to also be related but has not posted since 2008

Advertisement