Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

47" Philips LCD €500 in Tescos from Monday 24th

Options
  • 22-03-2008 10:00pm
    Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭

Just got wind of this from a relation who works in a Tesco's in Cork.

The following Philips will be on the shelf from Monday (they're closed Easter Sunday I believe): Philips 47PFL5522D/05 for €500

Better than the current Dunnes offer of a 42" for €799, info here

Important bits of the Spec, full details here:

Picture/Display
    Aspect ratio Widescreen 16:9
    Brightness 450 cd/m²
    Dynamic screen contrast 5000:1
    Response time (typical) 8 ms
    Panel resolution 1366 x 768p

Supported Display Resolution
    Computer formats 640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768
    Video formats 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p,

Sound
    Output power (RMS) 2 x 10 W

Tuner/Reception/Transmission
    Aerial Input 75 ohm coaxial (IEC75)
    TV system PAL I, PAL B/G, PAL D/K, SECAM B/G, SECAM D/K, SECAM L/L', DVB COFDM 2K/8K
    Video Playback NTSC, SECAM, PAL
    DVB DVB Terrestrial *

Connectivity
    Ext 1 Scart Audio L/R, CVBS in/out, RGB
    Ext 2 Scart Audio L/R, CVBS in/out, S-video in
    Ext 3 S-video in, CVBS in, Audio L/R in
    Ext 4 YPbPr, Audio L/R in
    Ext 5 HDMI
    Ext 6 HDMI
    Number of Scarts 2
    Other connections Headphone out, Common Interface

Power
    Mains power 220 - 240V, 50/60Hz
    Power consumption 300 W

I haven't committed just yet, I think I'd need to see it first; 47 inches would dominate even a reasonably sized room....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Wow. Thanks very much if this is true!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Sounds too good to be true.:rolleyes:

Same TV is €1332 on powercity.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The Panel resolution is 1366 x 768p yet it says it can do 1080p, I would not be too sure about that.

Its a 720p/1080i screen thats why its a good price, its not full HD.

But still a 47'' screen for €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

The Panel resolution is 1366 x 768p yet it says it can do 1080p, I would not be too sure about that.

Its a 720p/1080i screen thats why its a good price, its not full HD.

But still a 47'' screen for €500.

Little misleading alright. Simply means it will accept a 1080p input and scale it down. So yeah, not full HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

just wondering from the TV experts, would this be good when hooked up to a xbox 360

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Hmmmm.....is this a definate? I paid €1750 for my full HD 47" tv last year!!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

this would be amazing value if its true but wont be holding my breath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭pcolan

Spocker wrote: »
    47" Philips LCD €500 in Tescos from Monday 24th

Very funny, but it's not a fool's day yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

which tescos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

sounds suspicously like mickey taking to me:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

I know someone who works in the Celbridge store. I was told there is a 50% off sale on tv's on Monday..
    hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 amandalawlor

why would you say that its ok for the customer to know but i dont think you thought of your cous when you told everyone that, now for all you know your cous and evryone could be questioned when they go to work to find out who was spreading that around before they lcd screns went on display, ha ha ha funny though. poor cous!!!ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 amandalawlor

hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

There's an offer in Tesco on all televisions beginning Monday, not exactly sure what it is at the moment but It's likely to be another 25% back offer, Just giving you all the heads up. :) I work in the hardware department of a major store and was setting up the display today.

EDIT: Rumour is it's 50% off :eek:

Nforce wrote: »
    Hmmmm.....is this a definate? I paid €1750 for my full HD 47" tv last year!!!:(

Still got a decent price at the time for full HD.

This is not full HD. And personally, I dont see a point in buying a massive LCD that's only HD ready.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Still waiting on me bloody clubcard.
    Been a month now :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I wondered why there was so many pallets of 42" TV's in the isles when I went to the one in Lucan earlier, was expecting to see it full of easter eggs and not tellys.

Not sure how you're supposed to fit them in your shopping basket though?

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

trabpc wrote: »
    I know someone who works in the Celbridge store. I was told there is a 50% off sale on tv's on Monday..
    hope this helps.

The 50% part was what I heard as well, let's see if it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I don't have a clubcard thingy ,do you need one to avail of this offer lads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Still got a decent price at the time for full HD.

This is not full HD. And personally, I dont see a point in buying a massive LCD that's only HD ready.

Surely if it's only €500 its worth it, no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

I wouldn't think you'd need a Clubcard to buy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

And personally, I dont see a point in buying a massive LCD that's only HD ready.

If it's 500 squids it's such great value it wouldn't matter tbh. Though, like a lot of people posting here, i'll believe the deal when i see it.

You've got to be about 6 feet or closer to see an appreciable difference between a 1080p and 720p 47" screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I've a question for the TV experts here. Putting price aside. Is this TV any good? Or is it simply just a low quality 47" that will result in huge amount of blurirng and low quality in the dark and bright areas??

I know that for €500 its probably going to be a bargain anyways but I'm just wondering how good the set is. Price aside

I was just reading this on their website. It seems that this TV falls under the Pixel Plus HD category
    Pixel Plus is a digital picture processing technology that increases the number of lines and the number of pixels. The result is razor sharp pictures with incredible detail and depth from any HD source.
    So its not HD me thinks but might just be good enough for the moment.

So seriously, the TV experts (or those who just know a lot :)) Cash aside, is this a good TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I'ev really like some confirmation of this but ... they are talking about the same thing here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

If it was any othe model than Philips I would snap that offer up but myself and my family have had so many bad experiences with Philips (TV, DVD players, Hi-Fi's all breaking down after 6 months) that I wont buy any of their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

will this offer be going on all week? only getting paid friday:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

will this offer be going on all week?

If it's a straight 50% off, I'd say the chances of getting one on Monday will be very slim, Friday no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭halkar

Any shops open today? I wouldn't mind one or two of these for that price :D

• Advertisement

You've got to be about 6 feet or closer to see an appreciable difference between a 1080p and 720p 47" screen.

Dont agree at all. I can notice the difference (not much) but I can still tell the diff on my 40" 1080p.

And I have seen this set (I sell them for a living) and the full HD counterpart, and I see a reasonable difference. 47" is a very large tv.

Advertisement