Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

47" Philips LCD €500 in Tescos from Monday 24th

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

daheff wrote: »
    its not a fault.

TV is a bit too big for my sitting room...plus the picture quality isnt always as good as my old tv (crt !)
    some returns info here
    http://www.tesco.com/termsandconditions/termsconditionsElec.htm#returns

probably applicable to Ireland too, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭daheff

So basically if i have unwrapped the tv..plugged it in and used the remote i cant return the tv?

or can i return it if i can put it back into the box? (with batteries in remote)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

So basically if i have unwrapped the tv..plugged it in and used the remote i cant return the tv?

or can i return it if i can put it back into the box? (with batteries in remote)

No you most certainly can return it. I think you got mixed up with the bit about Audio Video Recordings? They are referring to CD's & DVD's when they mention that.

Non-faulty items

If there is no fault, please return the goods within 14 days of receipt. If the goods are returned un-damaged in their original and undamaged packaging, we will exchange them or offer a refund based on your original payment method.

Please note that we cannot return non-faulty items to the manufacturer, so please return the goods in its original and undamaged packaging with all of their components as follows:

TV's and Video's - remote controls, instruction booklet, aerial lead, scart leads and power cables.

You should have no problem

They're basically saying that they can't return the item to the manufacturer if it's not faulty so you must give it back to Tesco in a state that they can resell it.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I'm not sure you will have success returning it.
    Size of your room or the TV is not a fault with the TV and picture not as good as your crt wouldn't mean there's anything actually wrong with it.
    I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

As far as I know, unless there is a fault with the tv, they have no obligation to take it back. Although they may take it back anyway as a goodwill gesture to a customer but it is at the store's descretion. I could be wrong though, so it could be worth your while trying to bring it back. Let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭cormie

its not a fault.

TV is a bit too big for my sitting room...plus the picture quality isnt always as good as my old tv (crt !)

Would you sell it and the vouchers for the price you paid? Might be interested ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

The vouchers can only be used with the original club card, they have the name of the registered card holder printed on them and can only be used when that registered club card is scanned. So if someones sells their tv with the vouchers they would have to give you their club card too.

Not if they ordered something off the clubcard deals and then gave them to the purchaser.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You'd also have to trust that person to give you the vouchers when they arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

Can I ask, is there anywhere in Dublin where these tellys are still around?
    Or has this offer finished?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Offer was for monday only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭green123

the picture quality isnt always as good as my old tv (crt !)

surprise surprise :rolleyes:
    its just a pity more people wont admit this,
    you still cant beat a crt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

green123 wrote: »

Not true, I've got a Philips 32" LCD and its a million times better than ANY CRT I've ever seen. I had a very expensive Philips CRT before this one and agree that it was better than most LCD's but you get what you pay for. Don't expect good picture quality from a cheap TV, be it CRT or LCD. My current 32" LCD was €1100 a few months back, could have got a different 32" for less than half that but picture quality was rubbish.

Also, most LCD's need a lot of tweaking of the various picture settings to get a good picture. Most seem to arrive with all setting set to max and this gives awful quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Have to agree on your last point. I got a Philips 32" from Tesco on Monday and the picture wasn't great and the sound was desperate. Did a load of adjusting of the settings last night and this has made a huge improvement.

As for being much better than CRT, the jury is still out. My Philips 30" CRT has a great picture and sound is it was only 300 yoyos last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

green123 wrote: »

Don't get me started.

Watch soccer on RTE <aerial> then watch it on sky. RTE has far higher quality. Is a complete scam about digital.

It depends what you are watching. Stuff where theres a lot of movement like football is way better on analogue aerial. But normal shows have a clearer picture on digital. The problem with analogue is there's usually some interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Is this offer DEFINITELY over now? There's no secret progression of it or anything? I want them 4x the value vouchers, should have just bought a tv on the day. Didn't know if the vouchers could be used for transit sized vans, just rang up and they can be! Do these deals happen often?

You can get clubcard vouchers doing your shopping there but you would need to spend a bit to make it worth your while.
    Also on Tesco credit card and petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

cormie wrote: »
    Is this offer DEFINITELY over now? There's no secret progression of it or anything? I want them 4x the value vouchers, should have just bought a tv on the day. Didn't know if the vouchers could be used for transit sized vans, just rang up and they can be! Do these deals happen often?

if you do your weekly shopping there then the points quickly add up. they often have offers of this type (I believe there is one currently on for games and consoles of 30% back) though rarely this generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dahamster

pommers wrote: »
    there is a choice of what you can spend your vouchers on, for eg:hotels and book for a couple of months time and ya stay for free great deals great hotels, its what we have done before:D

any issue doing this. the wifes bday coming up and a trip to a carlton hotel and a bit of spaing looks good. Do they take the vouchers no problem? can you pay for meals with them as well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭PADDYPOKER

http://www.tesco.ie/clubcard/

Check the deals and conditions on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

DigiDec wrote: »
    The vouchers can only be used with the original club card, they have the name of the registered card holder printed on them and can only be used when that registered club card is scanned. So if someones sells their tv with the vouchers they would have to give you their club card too.

This is technically true but I find they never check when I hand in my vouchers, I've never been asked for my Clubcard when using the vouchers either. They just take them and scan them in like money off coupons, I've never had any problems, with or without the Clubcard. I'd say you could probably hand in any old Clubcard and anyone's vouchers and they'd take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Have to agree on your last point. I got a Philips 32" from Tesco on Monday and the picture wasn't great and the sound was desperate. Did a load of adjusting of the settings last night and this has made a huge improvement.

As for being much better than CRT, the jury is still out. My Philips 30" CRT has a great picture and sound is it was only 300 yoyos last year.

any chance you would share the settings? Mine is ok (lovely for the price) but any improvements gladly plagurised!

The sound was the biggest problem as it seemed that voice was hard to hear and background noise was drowning it out. I tried each of the built in sound settings and none of them were any good. So I changed the graphic equaliser settings to something like -21, -14, 0, 47, 50, 50, going from top to bottom on screen. So far this has helped a lot. Also for mono sound, I leave as mono and don't use spatial.

For the picture, I am getting a calibration DVD to try improve the picture. Heard these are great. But I think the picture is fairly good using the personal or rich settings that came with the set. Haven't watched too much since getting it. Maybe over the weekend I'll have a better idea of the best settings for me.

I'm still a bit concerned about the sound as I shouldn't have to mess around with settings to get reasonable sound. Philips aren't a cheap brand. My other Philips CRT is great and never had to change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I got a philips 32" LCD on Stpehen's day from power city for €399 and the sound was also dreadful. What I did was use the rgb slot on the side of the TV instead of the scart and it seemed to help. It still doesnt sound right though, I have a 42" philips downstairs and its crystal clear. I agree with the previous poster the voices are really hard to hear and the background sounds seem really high?
    Would love to bring it back but don't want the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭daheff

i'd agree with Bazwaldo and Sham69...the sound is dreadful...i've found the same problem...low voices and high background...i've tried to fiddle around with the sound..but no luck

seems like there is too much bass in the sound...but cant find the right setting to take it out.

Before this i had an old sony (about 15years old)...only problems we really had was that the sound went a bit funny when there were graphics on the screen (eg opening credits)

The other thing I noticed (previously said the picture was bad) is that the older tv shows seem to have worse quality pictures than newer ones (bit of a duh moment!)...but that was never so noticeable on the old CRT...probably because it wasnt as clear as the lcd.

What are the options if the sound can't be improved?

I want to keep my lovely 32" LCD telly and get my 350 worth of vouchers, so can I get Philips to sort it, or do I need to go to Tesco and see if they can replace it with a different model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Woods

bazwaldo wrote: »
    What are the options if the sound can't be improved?

I want to keep my lovely 32" LCD telly and get my 350 worth of vouchers, so can I get Philips to sort it, or do I need to go to Tesco and see if they can replace it with a different model?

In exactly the same boat myself. I picked up a goodmans 26" for the bedroom, but unfortunately it switches off when it's moved even a fraction, sound also went once, obviously some loose connections inside.

Rang Tesco, lady extremely helpful, she checked with GM, but due to the whole club card refund etc etc, and the fact they we're sold out of LCDs (or so they say :) )all they could offer me was a full refund with my clubcard vouchers taken back. Explained I wanted to hold on to TV, Tesco said I'd have to ring Goodmans directly,who deal with customers after 28 days of purchase and see if they could replace it for me.

Rang Goodmans, long story short they we're EXTREMELY unhelpful contradicting everything in their guarantee, and basically said they NEVER deal with the customer direct, all repairs etc are through the retailer i.e Tesco ;thus conflicting what Tesco said, ( well then WTF do they have a helpline no. for repairs in the Goodmans manual if this is the case :mad:)

Hopefully Philips are a bit more helpful :)

Advertisement