Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

47" Philips LCD €500 in Tescos from Monday 24th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dont agree at all. I can notice the difference (not much) but I can still tell the diff on my 40" 1080p.

And I have seen this set (I sell them for a living) and the full HD counterpart, and I see a reasonable difference. 47" is a very large tv.

so what are you saying , This is a good/bad choice of TV. Would love to see a 32" SAMSUNG

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭cassette50

It's a 42" Philips TV.

It costs €1099 and it's 50% back in clubcard points/vouchers.

The offer is in todays Ireland on sunday or whatever name it goes by now.

There is also a 32" Mirai for €500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

The Panel resolution is 1366 x 768p yet it says it can do 1080p, I would not be too sure about that.

Its a 720p/1080i screen thats why its a good price, its not full HD.

But still a 47'' screen for €500.

It's true what you say about it not being able to display a full HD picture, it will accept the full HD signal but will scale it down. However, 1366 x 768 isn't a 1080i screen. 1080i uses the same resolution as 1080p. It's the frames/fields that are different and where the i/p becomes relevant. A 1080i signal needs a full HD screen to display fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

That's a bit different to 50% off.
    Still good value but you have to wait 2 month for the rebate.
    Don't forget you can get 4 x the value of the clubcard points in deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

cassette50 wrote: »
    It's a 42" Philips TV.

It costs €1099 and it's 50% back in clubcard points/vouchers.

Cheers for the info. I remember seeing a philips 42 inch for that price in Tesco, but it was a plasma? dont suppose it mentioned it in the ad?

• Advertisement

It's LCD

The model is listed as Philips 42" LCD TV 42PFL5322.

Komplett have a good offer a 37" Samsung 1080p for €799

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333298

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Today's papers are running it as a 50% back in clubcard points on all audio visual items for the week.

So you pay the full price for the tv and the 50% of the price back in Tesco vouchers a few months later.

The Philips is €1099 with €549 coming back in Tesco vouchers.

You can view the specs for the Philips TV at the following link:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl5322_10/42pfl5322_10_pss_aen.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 20,798 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What's the cheapest tv on offer does anyone know? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,564 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Is that €250 after vouchers so ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Dont agree at all. I can notice the difference (not much) but I can still tell the diff on my 40" 1080p.

It's a fact based on the resolving capabilities of the human eye, and the angle subtended by different screen sizes at different distances. The full benefit of HD varies depending on screen size and viewing distance.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

This chart is calculated assuming 20/20 vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

the 5000:1 contrast is very low aswell, the new tv's all start at 15000:1 the response time 8 ms is very low aswell, too low to use with a computer but then 500 euro is really cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The picture on the 42" philips is very poor, I'd avoid it, unless you want a big cheap tv and aren't too bothered by the picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

What time would you say tesco opens since its normally 24/7

Dundrum will be open but make sure you buy it after 12.00am.
    Doesn't matter whether the staff know about the reabte or not, it's HQ
    that give them, not the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Just a recap guys:
    50% back on Audio Visual, Tomorrow only. You will receive the vouchers in your may mailing.

Examples given in newspaper are:
    Phillips 42" lcd tv 42pfl5322 - E1099 (get 549.50 back)
    Mirai 32" lcd tv lcdtv-332m201b - E499 (get 249.50 back)
    Bush 19" lcd/dvd combi hd xlcd19w08dvdhd- E299(get 149.50 back)
    Apple ipod shuffle 1GB range - E45 (get 22.50 back)
    Goodmans dvd recordergdvdr319 -E99.99 (get 49.99 back)
    Technika cd/cassette boombox bb207 - E28.99 (get 14.49 back)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Thanks for the recap chasm, is ipod Nano and touch included?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

It's a fact based on the resolving capabilities of the human eye, and the angle subtended by different screen sizes at different distances. The full benefit of HD varies depending on screen size and viewing distance.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

This chart is calculated assuming 20/20 vision.

So your telling me my eyes are b0rked? :rolleyes: I can see a difference that's all I am saying. Along with the fact if I can notice a subtle diff on a 40" I personally, would see a diff on a 47"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Canonfan wrote: »
    Thanks for the recap chasm, is ipod Nano and touch included?

The advert states "TVs, SOUND SYSTEMS,DVD PLAYERS, iPODS" so it seems they are included.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Is there a 47" TV for €500 ? ,or are they all tesco voucher tvs ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

So your telling me my eyes are b0rked? :rolleyes: I can see a difference that's all I am saying. Along with the fact if I can notice a subtle diff on a 40" I personally, would see a diff on a 47"

Nope, im not making a comment on your setup. Im saying the difference between 720p and 1080p 47" screen becomes 'appreciable' (ie more than subtly noticeable) at around 6 feet or closer. The only way you can argue that is by disputing the assumptions used to generate that chart (resolving power of the eye etc) - and you're completely welcome to do so, but it's beyond the scope of this thread.

My main point is that this notion that often crops up - 'oh that TV sucks it's not full HD' is flawed without considering other factors such as viewing distance and 'how much' of a difference you'll see. A super expensive full HD set might look great when you're browsing the aisles 2 feet away in Dixons, but plonk it on the other side of the room and you may have been just as happy with a 720p set and a big wad of cash in your pocket. So to get back on topic, this TV might represent fantastic value for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gip

Spocker wrote: »
    The 50% part was what I heard as well, let's see if it's true.

Yeah all TVs, sound systems. dvd players and ipods 50% discount with your club card, great offer,I have already bought an lcd and a ps3 on previous offers with 25% and 30% discounts. Personally I have had no problems with the club card discounts but it seems from other posts people have, my advice would be to store your receipt in your safe if you have one (or nail it to the wall!) just in case their is a problem when you are issued with your club card points in May. Oooooh! 'tis goin to be cold in the sleeping bag tonight outside Tesco's!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,564 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

My cousin bought one of those TV's in Xtravision last Friday.
    He will be disgusted when I tell him he could have got it for 250 as he shops in Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

what the vouchers like?, Are they like 20c off a tin or soup or what?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

DingDong wrote: »
    what the vouchers like?, Are they like 20c off a tin or soup or what?
    Thanks

No. They are actual money-off vouchers eg €25 off the total of your shopping.

Aside: I wish I hadn't bought thet Philips DVD Recorder before christmas for €125. with this offer I could get the same model for €65.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

anyone know what time tesco in wilton opens??? is it midnight or tomoro morning??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

christo82 wrote: »
    No. They are actual money-off vouchers eg €25 off the total of your shopping.

Aside: I wish I hadn't bought thet Philips DVD Recorder before christmas for €125. with this offer I could get the same model for €65.
    So are they like you have to spend 100 to get 25 off or you or spend 30 and only have to pay a fiver?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brophy

No DingDong they are like 500euro's worth of vouchers and you get them say in 25euro vouchers and you use them as you see fit.

If your shopping comes to €101 you can use 4 x €25 vouchers and then stick €1 outa your own pocket to it. Or when you get your €500 worth of vouchers you could head straight down and buy a 32" TV for the €500 worth of vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

My main point is that this notion that often crops up - 'oh that TV sucks it's not full HD' is flawed without considering other factors such as viewing distance and 'how much' of a difference you'll see.

I didn't say it, or mean it like that. Simply that I personally wouldnt buy a 47" set that's not full HD as atm I watch alot of blu ray/hd etc...

Otherwise it represents excellent value for such a large set if it is indeed €500

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

DingDong wrote: »
    So are they like you have to spend 100 to get 25 off or you or spend 30 and only have to pay a fiver?
    Thanks

they're as good as cash in-store. you can also exchange them for deal tokens and get 4 times their value (eg €10 clubcard vouchers can be exchanged for €40 Irish Ferries or Insomnia vouchers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

robinph wrote: »
    I wondered why there was so many pallets of 42" TV's in the isles when I went to the one in Lucan earlier, was expecting to see it full of easter eggs and not tellys.

Not sure how you're supposed to fit them in your shopping basket though?

was any of the branches open today??

Advertisement