Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Anyone know who's behind or who's running the new (yet to be opened but soon by looks of interior) restaurant that was formerly Boardwalk Bistro/Cafe @ Riverdell?

Also re Willoughbys on the Parade in Kilkenny which closed down due to rates issues among other factors; at least one ex staff member of Pimentos is opening a Tiempo Tapas Bar & Restaurant there in next 2-3 days.

Also new Chinese Takeaway opening where there already was one before on L.H.S. @ road into where Carlow Castle is; opp. Weeping Thaiger on corner more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I haven't been on the town this week, but have been told that on Tullow street, Little Piggys, the book shop and Bon Appetit have all closed?

I haven't been on the town this week, but have been told that on Tullow street, Little Piggys, the book shop and Bon Appetit have all closed?

The Book Shop? You mean Book Station? Stand to be corrected but it was trading yesterday when I passed......and is today too.

Bon Appetit; sign in door/window but didn't look, just thought it was an annual leave thing....update to say sign says due to unforeseen circumstances they're closed until further notice and would like to thank all their customers past and present for the past 31 years.

Little Piggys Shoes is closing doors for sure though as per this Carlow Live article >
    https://www.carlowlive.ie/news/home/435269/breaking-little-piggys-shoes-for-kids-which-has-a-store-in-carlow-is-closing-down.html?fbclid=IwAR1CUUn5_-bOYfafKCI8r486htzFT1rtdC8VuopppPJ9AtnI6rIcYOhD0Zc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    The Book Shop? You mean Book Station? Stand to be corrected but it was trading yesterday when I passed......and is today too.

Bon Appetit; sign in door/window but didn't look, just thought it was an annual leave thing....update to say sign says due to unforeseen circumstances they're closed until further notice and would like to thank all their customers past and present for the past 31 years.

Little Piggys Shoes is closing doors for sure though as per this Carlow Live article >
    https://www.carlowlive.ie/news/home/435269/breaking-little-piggys-shoes-for-kids-which-has-a-store-in-carlow-is-closing-down.html?fbclid=IwAR1CUUn5_-bOYfafKCI8r486htzFT1rtdC8VuopppPJ9AtnI6rIcYOhD0Zc

It's the little Irish shop that closed, not the book shop.
    Coolanowle cafe opening soon. Staff in getting the place together ATM.

Lemongrass Cafe (may NOT be actual name but I can't think of what it was) has also shut its doors; think it used open upstairs from 8 or 9 in morning til 2 or 3 in the evening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Lemongrass Cafe (may NOT be actual name but I can't think of what it was) has also shut its doors; think it used open upstairs from 8 or 9 in morning til 2 or 3 in the evening?

Presume that the restaurant downstairs is still open? Because that’s a great restaurant with excellent staff. The cafe the odd place upstairs that you never really knew if it was part of lemongrass or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bon Appetit didn’t ever look too appealing to me. Looked very outdated and tired looking. A few plain tarts and buns on display

road_high wrote: »
    Presume that the restaurant downstairs is still open? Because that’s a great restaurant with excellent staff. The cafe the odd place upstairs that you never really knew if it was part of lemongrass or not?

Yes, just the cafe part of building on ground floor; Lemongrass Restaurant downstairs is doing just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Bon Appetit didn’t ever look too appealing to me. Looked very outdated and tired looking. A few plain tarts and buns on display

I saw on Facebook that it was open for 31 years was it in that same building for 31 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Owners had an accident which is why it's closed

• Advertisement

Plans for demolition & reconstruction of Unit 27 in Fairgreen're on hold; council've sought further information since 9th of July; Fairgreen now've 6 months or planning permission's considered withdrawn.

Four submissions made; Irish Water, Thompson Holdings, Aviva Life & Pensions DAC & some lad living on Tullow St.

Avivas issue (not sure where their commercial property interests are; the Lismard Centre/Barrack St. units?) boils down to two things in their submission: Retail Impact Assessment doesn't assess the vacant retail units within Carlow town centre adequately and omits a viable vacant unit (Med Bar according to Page 3 of the 5 page Aviva submission; it states it could accommodate the proposed Fairgreen development.....I can't fathom if Fairgreen actually own Med Bar though) from the assessment for unfounded reasons..... It then also goes on to say the development results in an overall reduction in amount of car parking spaces (think their 5 page file mentions it loses 64 spaces) and transport + traffic impact study should be prepared to assess traffic and car parking issues in town centre (would imagine this relates to quantity of spaces that're going to be lost; shoppers will have to park on Barrack St., in Bus Pk. etc. when Fairgreen reaches capacity (on the odd time it does like the last 2-3 days before Christmas; it's generally not that full even on Saturdays in my observations).

Here's the Aviva file > http://193.178.30.86/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=71514&format=jpeg

The guy living on Tullow St.'s bone of contention is that further retail will add to congestion on Barrack St. & the Fairgreen Roundabout at the other end.
    He goes on to say he'd object to new retail units on site when there's plenty of under utilized sites on Tullow St. which're sufficient + addition of new retailers there will further undermine Tullow St.
    Says impact of current car parking situation proves it's under pressure at weekends with people driving round looking for spaces, causing queuing at entrances which impacts on town traffic flow.

http://193.178.30.86/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=71515&format=jpeg

Thompsons issues relates to there being no indication as to what type of store will go there; with their announcement re TK Maxx & Home Sense I get where they're coming from.
    They also raise issue of 67 car parking spaces being lost; they state existing demand for 702 spaces (I **think** this is total of Fairgreen spaces?) means the now 633 (630?) spaces will have adverse traffic impacts & is contrary to requirements of the My Carlow plan to increase pedestrian permeability & safety (they needn't worry about that My Carlow plan; I'd wager it's another talking shop that's now closed....!).
    Raise the issue of no TIA being done despite the new unit going to be 12% bigger & overall states the traffic impact & car parking issues fly in face of making the area more sustainable.
    Their full file's here > http://193.178.30.86/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=71513&format=jpeg

Lot of boring s***e when they could've put it in laymans terms and fitted it all in in one or two pages instead of three or five but sure someone's getting paid to write the big words I guess.

Some of the submissions're overlapping too; three of them are with some more detailed than others.

Any idea what they want to put in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is that outside building behind abbra that they want to knock down and make bigger?

Any idea what they want to put in there?

No idea; Thompsons clearly want to know; they own Carlow S.C. & part/some of Hanover Retail Pk. where TK Maxx/Homesense is earmarked to go into so hence their interest in their submission.

Is that outside building behind abbra that they want to knock down and make bigger?

The redbrick one behind Abra on L/H/S as you come in from Barrack St.; current tenants incl. Diva Fashion, Marie Sue Lingerie, Mona Gymnastics (Upstairs), Baby Room (First Floor though they shut their doors as per a Facebook post yesterday; are changing location/s til a more permanent space is identified but will be using An Gairdin Beo buildings & the owner also does classes in Energie Fitness on Kennedy Ave.) and a Hairdressers/Barbers the name of which escapes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Since all the new housing went into Brownshill Wood I've seen so many people hop the wall and break through the barrier between Sandhills. I even seen a few people throw a buggy over the wall and then hand a baby over on more than one occasion. The barrier is there for a reason and I've noticed so much litter around it to of empty beer cans etc.

I've heard from a few people last night this morning that Carlow's aggressive begger that everyone knows was given a scratch card outside the post office yesterday and won a mid 5 figure sum.

Posted in Jobs thread too but this thread gains more traction so.......

Ploughing; Gate Mgt., Crowd Control, Wristbanders & Ticketing Staff all reqd. for the 3 days.

Recruitment Open Day THIS FRIDAY the 16th of August in the Seven Oaks from 10am to 6pm.

Text the number in the photo with Carlow & your FULL NAME & they'll fire back further details > https://www.facebook.com/events/372297170335180/ (should open even if not on Fake Book)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

https://www.facebook.com/OSSCompany....type=3&theater (should open even if not on Fake Book)

That link is dead

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That link is dead

My bad; correct link here (hopefully!) > https://www.facebook.com/events/372297170335180/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

I've heard from a few people last night this morning that Carlow's aggressive begger that everyone knows was given a scratch card outside the post office yesterday and won a mid 5 figure sum.
    I sincerely hope that this is not true, giving that scrote a cent is too much.

on something more pleasant, I am liking what is being done on many of the roundabouts around town, especially like what I think is a foxglove up at Braun

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

on something more pleasant, I am liking what is being done on many of the roundabouts around town, especially like what I think is a foxglove up at Braun

It seems to be the one thing they do well although it's hard to miss the irony of the loch gates and bicycles on the roundabout on the Dublin road. Carlow says no to any blueway :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Carlow has been chosen for the Entente Floral next year, I think, so this is probably part of the advance prep.

Can a town like Carlow ever have too many hairdressers or barbers? Another one's opening up soon; where Bradshaws Barbers used be at entrance to Carlow S.C. on Tullow St.

Subsequent to this it was a Plus Size Clothes Shop and most recently......another ******* barbers (only lasted a matter of months).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

Can a town like Carlow ever have too many hairdressers or barbers? Another one's opening up soon; where Bradshaws Barbers used be at entrance to Carlow S.C. on Tullow St.

Subsequent to this it was a Plus Size Clothes Shop and most recently......another ******* barbers (only lasted a matter of months).

there can't be that much demand really can there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

does anyone know why the two no right turns are not there anymore? the one coming onto Barrack street from fairgreen and the one on kennedy avenue across from the old penneys are back to turn both ways.

Another new one opened a couple of weeks ago up in Asca as well, near Closh Pump by the Gala

Most of these barbers are just lads with clippers i say most of them wouldn't no how to use a sissors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Cw85 wrote: »
    Since all the new housing went into Brownshill Wood I've seen so many people hop the wall and break through the barrier between Sandhills. I even seen a few people throw a buggy over the wall and then hand a baby over on more than one occasion. The barrier is there for a reason and I've noticed so much litter around it to of empty beer chose barrans etc.

Those barriers should be removed to improve pedestrian and cyclist permeability.

Advertisement