Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You still see it below all the posts. It's just gone from below the avatar.

Would there be a neater way of putting it in maybe the bar that has post number, timestamp etc? It might make the 'thread flow' easier to read instead of having it in a box of its own below the post.
    Still trying to see if there's a better way of doing this, I honestly don't think people will find it nearly as annoying once it's become a staple feature.

Hiding it or making it easy-to-overlook sort of defeats the purpose, so far just removing it from the people who are misusing it seems to be most effective. A vocal minority, as always :)

You may not recall the consternation that a small group of posters rose when Quick Reply was added. It was heralded as the end of boards.ie several years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

It certainly made the one line replies easier :p

Room down here (V) for plenty more buttons, bring 'em on I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I remember, and boards has been ****e ever since it was added

Anyway, the thanks feature is grand now as it is. People only see your thanks if they go looking or read the specific posts. Theres no benefit now to whoring them since its not a badge you can wear around the forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

CuLT wrote: »
    You may not recall the consternation that a small group of posters rose when Quick Reply was added. It was heralded as the end of boards.ie several years ago.

Ah yeah, I'm sure in the long run I'll get used to it. Just keeps taking me by surprise every time I nearly click it when going for quick reply.

I'm still gonna hold out on thanking people for a while, it loses that personal touch that comes from quoting and typing out a well-formed acknowledgement of someone's helpfulness. (Like this for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

The thanks option seems to make it easier to see the mutual appreciation of a good post.
    I think the box list gives a clearer picture of what boards users actually agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Boston wrote: »
    There is a thread rating system already which, when use, works fine.

Not to mention just saying thanks for good advice, as most of us have done up to now.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It also attracts my eye to the posts which someone else has considered of high enough quality to be "thankable".

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've seen it used on other forums. It works great once the initial novelty period has worn off and things have settled down. It makes things neater as instead of multiple posts saying "lol" or "thanks" with the original post quoted, you just have a bar below the once post with the list of grateful parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I use "Green Style" and I don't have an icon, just a link that looks like this

Thank This Poster

No thumbs up icon to be seen.

What gives?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Your thanks will be removed for that. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Hennessy

DeVore wrote: »
    It also attracts my eye to the posts which someone else has considered of high enough quality to be "thankable".

DeV.

Is that an Admin only view or can we see a highly thanked post?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hennessy wrote: »
    Is that an Admin only view or can we see a highly thanked post?
    I think he means that when viewing a thread posts that were thanked will stand out and draw attention to them because of the little "Thanked by" bar at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Hennessy

I think he means that when viewing a thread posts that were thanked will stand out and draw attention to them because of the little "Thanked by" bar at the bottom.

I get you. I was thinking Thread rather than posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I think that we need a way to stop people thanking for nothing though.

I've seen some pretty useless posts thanked so far, and if its overused then it loses all meaning.

That'll die off soon enough. Although I do think 10 per day is a bit too much, I'd have put it at 5 max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Please make an icon for the black theme, the box with a red x and "thank this poster" really screws up the "flow"

also

I believe you have my stapler.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I think that we need a way to stop people thanking for nothing though.

I've seen some pretty useless posts thanked so far, and if its overused then it loses all meaning.

Sitewide thanks moderator ftw! They could hop from forum to forum putting right what once went wrong and cut out any inappropriate thanking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I'd like to see the thanks button placed to the left of the quote button, especially if its not available in all posts/forums. In fact I'd like to see the buttons arranged from right to left in order of usage.

I still think that the word "thanks" should be replaced with "Great!" or "agree".

You are after all are agreeing with the poster in most fora and thanking on requesting info type fora.

"Thanks" just sounds wrong when you are agreeing with the post!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

On other fora I've seen the thanks feature but it just says 'This post was thanked by 2 users'.
    It's a bit more anonymous which I think is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Pythia wrote: »
    On other fora I've seen the thanks feature but it just says 'This post was thanked by 2 users'.
    It's a bit more anonymous which I think is good.

I would usually have more faith in a post thanked by people I already hold in high regard than a post thanked by someone else so I think the visible thanks should remain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Thanking people is appropriate on occasion (e.g. in PI or when someone starts a thread asking for info on something) but meh, can't you just write a thank you post?
    People are gonna abuse this system by using it to gloat - a way of saying "nice one for disagreeing with that other user" which is fairly moronic unless the other user is being a complete c**t and deserves it. Although even then it's fairly petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Dudess wrote: »
    Thanking people is appropriate on occasion (e.g. in PI or when someone starts a thread asking for info on something) but meh, can't you just write a thank you post?
    People are gonna abuse this system by using it to gloat - a way of saying "nice one for disagreeing with that other user" which is fairly moronic unless the other user is being a complete c**t and deserves it.
    There are different types of thanks. If I see that type of thanks used in an argument i'd just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I thank Bossarky every time he logs in.

Advertisement