Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Eagle (Clothing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Not sure davton... was hoping some of the seasoned shoppers on here might be able to tell me:confused:

From what I can tell elsewhere it seems everything goes through customs... but what gets charged is hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

davton wrote: »
    does this defo mean you will be charged customs and not just checking process instead of checking at the airport? or does it go to the portlaoise after being flagged at the airport?

My stuff was sent to these locations (Portlaoise) last week and I didn't have to pay customs. My actual delivery point is very near Dublin Airport which seems mad if it flew in through there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭abcxyz123

Not sure davton... was hoping some of the seasoned shoppers on here might be able to tell me:confused:

From what I can tell elsewhere it seems everything goes through customs... but what gets charged is hit and miss.

Wrong, everyones does not go through customs, its quite clear when you track your order with USPS.

Order not flagged by customs;
    Arrived Abroad, February 29, 2008, 3:01 pm, IRELAND
    International Dispatch, February 28, 2008, 2:14 pm, O'HARE APT/CHICAGO
    Processed, February 28, 2008, 2:12 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60666
    Processed, February 27, 2008, 3:01 pm, KANSAS CITY, MO 64121
    Electronic Shipping Info Received, February 27, 2008

Order went through Customs, and charged well before Portlaoise

Out of Foreign Customs, February 08, 2008, 4:37 pm, IRELAND
    Into Foreign Customs, February 06, 2008, 3:17 pm, IRELAND

Arrived Abroad, February 06, 2008, 3:16 pm, IRELAND
    International Dispatch, February 05, 2008, 2:11 pm, O'HARE APT/CHICAGO
    Processed, February 05, 2008, 2:08 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60666
    Processed, February 04, 2008, 2:45 pm, KANSAS CITY, MO 64121
    Electronic Shipping Info Received, February 04, 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

I've been trying to track my order since it was sent March 31st but the Ae site keeps coming back with, 'we are updating the site' so have no idea where exactly in the world it is!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭dor83

samo wrote: »
    I've been trying to track my order since it was sent March 31st but the Ae site keeps coming back with, 'we are updating the site' so have no idea where exactly in the world it is!!!

You can track it on the USPS site if its still in the US and the An Post site once it arrives in Ireland. Just put the tracking no. into those sites and you should have a better idea of where it is. I had the same problem with the AE site myself and checked on the sites I gave you to find out that both orders are with ustoms in Portlaoise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

bigslick wrote: »
    Any have a link to where i might find custom rates for the duties added on as it seems bit much that they added on nearly 50% onto my order value!! :mad:

21% VAT on total order (shipping + your items)

$158 = roughly €100.

So 21% is €21.

Post Office charge €5 handling fee, so €26.

Customs, I don't know how it's worked out but anything around the $150 to $170 mark seems to come in for charges of about €17 to €20.

So let's say €19, there's your €45.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I think it's worked like this.

order of 100euro.
    duty 0%-14% = possibly 14euro = 114euro
    By 21%vat = 137euro + 5euro delivery

total - 142euro.

I think :rolleyes:

k

dor83 wrote: »
    You can track it on the USPS site if its still in the US and the An Post site once it arrives in Ireland. Just put the tracking no. into those sites and you should have a better idea of where it is. I had the same problem with the AE site myself and checked on the sites I gave you to find out that both orders are with ustoms in Portlaoise.

Excellent, thanks for that - mine was apparently en route to customer as of 5th April in Navan!

Cheers, hopefully will have a bit of American Eagle stuff by tomorrow so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SQDD

I'm afraid customs is worked out like so... (For AE)

Say you're order total (BEFORE sale price) is $200
    and so you pay around $170 factoring in the discount PLUS $50 shipping.

Well customs take you Order total Before sale price - $200, and they take 30% of that, giving $60.

Now they do the classic Apple job of changing the dollar sign to a euro sign (I'm serious) and so you $60 customs becomes E60.

Voila... the shipping price is generally not factored in.

And so that is how you pay E60 customs on E110 worth of clothes. (Nearly 60%)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

Once you have the clothes are you likely to get a letter to say you owe customs after that like Fedex??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Possibly, but I think it's more UPS than USPS (via An Post) that do that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Does any one have a fax number for this lot?

I've emailed them and rang them and nothing so one last attempt is a fax but cant find it

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭joeswatch

If it's the customs you are looking for then the following is a direct link (taken from Anpost.ie) and the guy that answers is a customs guy who told me recently that I pay on anything new or secondhand (i previously thought that charges were only on new goods). Much to my dismay when I had to fork out 85 euro to them. I'll know the next time.

'Customs have a statutory right to examine all parcels coming from outside the EU. It is the Revenue Commissioners who raise these charges and An Post collect them on their behalf. For further details you can contact them directly on 01 7059737.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

my stuff arrived today, very happy with it all, sizes all seem european-ish so they fit perfectly, all in all the delivery probably took 7-8 days, but that includes a weekend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

weemcd wrote: »
    my stuff arrived today, very happy with it all, sizes all seem european-ish so they fit perfectly, all in all the delivery probably took 7-8 days, but that includes a weekend. :D

I sent off for mine 12 days ago and still no sign of it ... :(
    How long did anyone else have to wait for their deliveries?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

kgiller wrote: »
    I sent off for mine 12 days ago and still no sign of it ... :(
    How long did anyone else have to wait for their deliveries?

Did you check your status? I ordered mine on the 23rd of March and still no sign of it being updated. Sent off passport and credit card statement to them and still nothing.

kearnsr wrote: »
    Did you check your status? I ordered mine on the 23rd of March and still no sign of it being updated. Sent off passport and credit card statement to them and still nothing.

I just checked the website and the tracking order tab. It says that the order has been shipped, but nothing about where it is at the moment... I ordered mine on the 27th March. Anyone else in the same boat? Just want to know how long it took others to receive theirs.

I ordered end of March too and no sign yet - it was last in Portlaoise but now it seems the an post tracking site is down.... great.

My order made on March 28th was sent March 31st and arrived yesterday....

customs free, unlike my threadless tshirts which incurred a charge of 15 euro (for a 45 euro order :eek:)

samo wrote: »
    My order made on March 28th was sent March 31st and arrived yesterday....

customs free, unlike my threadless tshirts which incurred a charge of 15 euro (for a 45 euro order :eek:)

What! Thats annoying. Im still waiting for mine and it only took 3 days for your order, which was made after mine. I must say i am quite jealous. Everytime the door bell rings i think its my clothes, but just jehovah's witness' :confused:

• Advertisement

yeah, I guess An Posts 5 euro customs collectton fee has bumped that price up a bit for the Threadless order :(

The shipping on the order was $17usd and the goods $60 so €15 is a bit crap for customs, but its only the 2nd ever thing after countless orders the last few years from different places thats gotten hit with customs so I'll live with this one.

Hate to think how much they would have me for for the American Eagle stuff :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭SEORG

agentgreen wrote: »
    Once you have the clothes are you likely to get a letter to say you owe customs after that like Fedex??

Has this happened to you?

SEORG wrote: »
    Has this happened to you?
    It's happened to my sister with Abercrombie clothes through Fedex, was just wondering if this happened with an post...

Has anybody returned clothes here? Was it expensive, much hassle and was there a long wait and did they recharge you postage?

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

j14 wrote: »
    Got mine today too, $148 (including shipping) no customs. I think the lads may be onto something as this time it was a plastic bag whereas last time I was hit for customs it was delivered in a cardboard box. Although last time I did order $215 worth of clothes.

a lot of truth in this! only ones i have ever paid customs on, cardboard box came today was stung for €45

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

agentgreen wrote: »
    Has anybody returned clothes here? Was it expensive, much hassle and was there a long wait and did they recharge you postage?

Thanks

I returned clothes but I just returned them for a refund, not an exchange. it cost me ~€21 registered post and took them about 3 weeks or so to refund the money back into my account.

no hassle at all. all the instructions you'll need come on the invoice docket thingy.

EDIT: I don't think they charge you for posting if they are sending you out clothes as part of an exchange.

Result (So Far) - Postie in his van (Call him Pat;-)) just dropped my stuff off this morning and whilst it had a charges label of €53 on front of the bag - he did not collect!

Maybe its cause I came down half dressed and he got an eye full....

Not sure what happens now and I would hope they will not come a calling again.

Result (So Far) - Postie in his van (Call him Pat;-)) just dropped my stuff off this morning and whilst it had a charges label of €53 on front of the bag - he did not collect!

Maybe its cause I came down half dressed and he got an eye full....

Not sure what happens now and I would hope they will not come a calling again.

Paddy, how much did your order cost and when did u order? Im still waiting on my order and am preparing myself for some customs charges...:(

My stuff finally arrived this morning. 14 days it took. Which isnt too long i suppose. BUT. There was a hefty customs charge on it. €57.78!!! The order total was $222 including shipping of $50. The postman said that it was such a big package that they must have noticed it, and in future to keep it to under €100 or $100, im not sure which. In future i think i will make a number of smaller orders at the same time, instead of one big one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭death1234567

kgiller wrote: »
    My stuff finally arrived this morning. 14 days it took. Which isnt too long i suppose. BUT. There was a hefty customs charge on it. €57.78!!! The order total was $222 including shipping of $50. The postman said that it was such a big package that they must have noticed it, and in future to keep it to under €100 or $100, im not sure which. In future i think i will make a number of smaller orders at the same time, instead of one big one...

I think if you buy somthing worth under €40 then you won't have to pay customs for definite, anything > €40 and you run the risk of being caught. AFAIK.

Advertisement