Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB apprenticeship

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I had an interview with the esb and was called bck for a medical last week which i also passed, do you reckon that means i have the job now or is there still a good chance of not getting it, also if i did get the job are the first 6 months training still down in portlaoise?

Doesn't mean you have it no, and no for the 6months.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

do you reckon that means i have the job now
    Yes, I would think you have it.
    Best of luck with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭clinchy

yep u have it once u passd the medical your just wait for a start date congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 whatsupyou

I have gone for an interview this year for the apprenticeship but have yet to hear back about a medical, should i have heard back by now if i will get one ? Or is it too late by now ? :confused:

if i was you id ring personel to ask them wat the story is then you will know for sure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FutureSparky

I had an interview with the esb and was called bck for a medical last week which i also passed, do you reckon that means i have the job now or is there still a good chance of not getting it, also if i did get the job are the first 6 months training still down in portlaoise?

Dear niallscully,
    I was also called for medical last week for the ESB and also waiting for Leaving Cert results next Wed. Can you tell me is the ESB also taking people for Fitter Apprenticeship and Electrical/Instrumentation Apprenticeship this year?
    When does Apprenticeship start?
    Where does the off-the-job training take place and when does the first one commence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 niallscully

havent got a clue, I think the apprenticeship starts in september but im still not 100%. I think the off the job training is done in port Laoise training centre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can you tell me is the ESB also taking people for Fitter Apprenticeship and Electrical/Instrumentation Apprenticeship this year?

Fitter jobs are generation i presume, not networks so that would be totally separate.

When does Apprenticeship start?

Sept, usually in the first 2 weeks.

Where does the off-the-job training take place and when does the first one commence?

Any fás centre nationwide. Internally training will take place in portloaise on and off with varying time lengths. Can be a few weeks at a time.

Thanks Davy and niallscully for that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I served my time with the ESB in the early 80's and I was let go after the apprenticship, after a short contract.

Although I moved into industrial automation and eventully IT and computer networking, I found it a great training.

The technical training was great and gave me a ground for a lot of the stuff I done afterwards.

Dealing with work colleagues and the public was great, as it gave me great experience and responsibility at a young age.

I would recommend an ESB apprenticship, and I would encourage you to look at it as a starting point rather than an ending point.

Most of my classmates done very well out of the apprenticship, but many of them would not be working directly as an electrician or with power electricity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

I had my medical for it last week and got it. Should get d contract in d post dis week dey said.:D

Id say its hard to get a start with any contractor at the moment best of lucky with your apprentiship guys

When we get our offers this week, will we be told who has been chosen to do the engineering degree in two years time? Where will the degree be held and will we be paid during that time. Will the college fees be paid by ESB?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tommyperkins17

Hey hey..I was told at the interview that after 2 yrs if they thought you were doing well you'd be offered the chance to study the engineering and be paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Just thought I'd throw it up here that the ESB are going to be taking on another batch of approx. 100 apprentices this year. The application form is on their site, needs to be in by March 9th.

https://www.candidatemanager.net/esb/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mrhappy1972

Are esb intersted in training adults 35+ or do they rather train youngun's in todays climate :rolleyes:

Dont think their is a max age to apply

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

To qualify for the Apprenticeship programme, candidates must be 16 years of age on or before 1st June 2010. If you are not 16 years of age by that date, you are ineligible to apply this year.

Last year (This years 1st years) there were a few adult apprentices who were over 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

I'm not arguing I've worked with the ESB's mature apprentices previously, but as it says on the form you must be 16 on or before June 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 WannabeSpark

I'm after sending in my application for the esb apprenticeship already. I'm 27yrs of age and have no work experience that would be relevant for an electrical apprenticeship. All of my work experience to date has been either office or retail based.
    I have thought a lot about getting into the electrical trade and am doing a city and guilds course in AC/DC Elementary Elec Eng and I have a decent leaving cert. I also did some casual farm labouring work a while back which I enjoyed so I know I would have no problems with the physical outdoor element of the job.
    Just wondering if the fact that i'm a bit older, along with the lack of experience, will work against me?

The lack of electrical knowledge wont matter, you will be going to fas if they take you on. Most other school leavers wont have an electrical backround either. Once your previous references are ok then you should have as good a chance as any. A lot of people wouldn't be able to go for the job due being on €200 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭germanicus

Does anyone know where the off the job training for this apprenticeship takes place?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

germanicus wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the off the job training for this apprenticeship takes place?

Is it not Portlaoise?

germanicus wrote: »

In takes place in the Fas centre you are assigned from fas as the places come available
    mal1 wrote: »
    Is it not Portlaoise?

Thats in-house training for esb works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

What if I cant remember my JC and LC results im 30 now

you will have to produce a copy of the cert at some stage, so may as well get one now if your serious about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

You can get replacements from the dept of education.

I started my apprenticeship when i was 31,Not working with the ESB unfortunately but heading towards my 4th year soon and its the best thing I ever did

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭germanicus

i wonder whether the esb keep many of the apprentices on full time afterwards?

• Advertisement

Of the 100 they are currently taking on they say they are going to keep on roughly about 20, but there's also the oppertunity to do electical engineering.

And there are ESB modules that have to be done in Portlaoise.

Advertisement