Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB apprenticeship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mulhallpj

perch86 wrote: »
    Surely couldn't let us down at this stage. I'm the same. 7years working with company and finishing up tomorr.. I'm gonna ring them tomorr if I don't receive contract tomorr in post . They should have it sent out long go to be honest

Finally got word today perch so I'm at ease... Long story girl that initially told me I had got job has left esb as she was only there for summer after 2 phone calls in 2 days a girl finally replied that my stuff was posted yesterday 24th September and that we would be in portlaoise on 6th October for 2 weeks and then would start in our placements..... An awful debacle but got there in the end ! See you in portlaoise my name is pj by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 11 perch86

mulhallpj wrote: »
    Finally got word today perch so I'm at ease... Long story girl that initially told me I had got job has left esb as she was only there for summer after 2 phone calls in 2 days a girl finally replied that my stuff was posted yesterday 24th September and that we would be in portlaoise on 6th October for 2 weeks and then would start in our placements..... An awful debacle but got there in the end ! See you in portlaoise my name is pj by the way

good stuff pj. My name is Kevin. We'll see you on 6th so. Should be contract in post tomorr or Mon so I guess.. I'm just interested in seeing the contract and seeing is my placement arrangements on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mulhallpj

perch86 wrote: »
    good stuff pj. My name is Kevin. We'll see you on 6th so. Should be contract in post tomorr or Mon so I guess.. I'm just interested in seeing the contract and seeing is my placement arrangements on it

That's all I wanted to know too, I'm lucky placement not to that from me at all if you put into Google, esb map division you can see how Ireland is broken up into segments from what I can see nobody will be sent too far from their address...

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

You'd be surprised, depending on where the majority of the work is going to be on you can be based anywhere, when I started nearly everyone from Leinster was based in Inchicore or Leopardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Just noticed it is open to register interest on esb.ie for this years apprenticeship. Just wondering how likely are you to be kept on after completing it. Like 1 out of 5 or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ocallyger

well after studying this thread in detail over the past few weeks it looks like the amount of applications would be between 5 and 6000 each year, with only 100 places filled each year, then with only approx 20 out of the 100 are kept on after training!!! Anybody that has gone through it already like to confirm or deny maybe!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

ocallyger wrote: »
    well after studying this thread in detail over the past few weeks it looks like the amount of applications would be between 5 and 6000 each year, with only 100 places filled each year, then with only approx 20 out of the 100 are kept on after training!!! Anybody that has gone through it already like to confirm or deny maybe!!!

Served my time with them from 92-96. At the aptitude test they told us that something like 60,000 applied but alot wouldn't meet the qualifing criteria. Only 64 apprentices altogether both electrical and mechanical in my year. Only 4 out of 13 kept on in cork kerry region in my year. Actually some of those retained were Full time ESB employees who had opted to enter the Apprenticeship and would be guaranteed a job on completion. 6 or 8 in the country maybe.
    I was asked back on 3 month contract and extended for 3 more but had to give it up as i had a farm taken over and couldn't manage the 2. Was asked back again sept 97 but had to turn it down
    Great training and experience and would definitely recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Where can you fill in the appreniceship application or view it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bandoolicanz

Anyone know were you go for the fas/solas part of the apprenticeship?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Anyone know were you go for the fas/solas part of the apprenticeship?

Things have changed since my time but as far as i know, off the job training is now done in Port Laoise. I did mine in Lr Mount St in Dublin but thats closed now and they were planning on expanding the training school thats there. Apprentices would be sent down for 2-3 weeks to practice on mock ups of the networks. The linesmen were trained there originally. Usually 8-10 weeks and the same in the ITs for the theory end of it. The rest is spent on the job I'd be thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭liv1892

Is there an online aptitude test to start off does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Yes there is

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭liv1892

And have you any idea when we will be given that? Or does everyone qualify for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Are there any age restrictions for this?, also is all the training done in port laois or is it done close to where you live, im in west cork so would my training be in cork county?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NBCPass

I am 29 and just got an email telling me "can advise you that you are eligible for the next stage in the assessment process" with a link and login to the online assessment. I have an IT degree but I am looking for a change of careers.

Anybody else get this email?

Does anyone know what the current Apprentice rates are?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Davey 180

Hey, Yeah i got that mail too! But im not sure weather to proceed or to do a pereperation course first. Im not sure if there is an online test or if there is what the questions involve?? Any info greatly appreciated!!!

Sorry i just re read my email. I think you may be further along in the application process than me. My email begins with,

"Thank you for your expression of interest in ESB Electrical Apprenticeship 2015. You are now invited to formally apply online by clicking on the link below and choosing the apply here option".

Have you already passed this stage??

Davey 180 wrote: »
    Hey, Yeah i got that mail too! But im not sure weather to proceed or to do a pereperation course first. Im not sure if there is an online test or if there is what the questions involve?? Any info greatly appreciated!!!

I just did it. It is six different assessments. I found that the hardest one was the mechanical questions.

- Shapes (measurement of behavioural competencies) - measures preferred working style
    - untimed. (Starts easy but gets a bit more difficult)
    - Understanding of instructions (verbal comprehension) - measures verbal reasoning
    - timed for 8 minutes. (Simple as long as you can read!)
    - Mechanical & technical understanding - measures mechanical & technical understanding
    - timed for 15 minutes (Found this one to be very difficult but it depends on what you have studied before I guess)
    - Spatial reasoning - measures spatial reasoning ability
    - timed for 10 minutes (Simple)
    - Logical reasoning - measures logical reasoning ability
    - timed for 5 minutes (Simple)
    - Numeracy - measures numerical comprehension (Simple)
    - timed for 5 minutes

That was my experience with it. I am afraid I got a few questions wrong in the "Mechanical & technical understanding" assessment. Will just have to wait and see.

• Advertisement

Cheers man, thanks for your help. I read some where bout a preparation course that covers online assessment as well as interview assessment. It cost 70euro but i think you have put my mind at ease about the online part. I was afraid of it being some crazy calculus or something...Thanks again

I thought the Maths would be more difficult.

The questions go like this:

blank + blank = 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You have a choice of 9 digits use but you can only use each digit once. You just drag 4 and 3 into the blank spaces to make seven. There are also some simple multiplication and subtraction questions. They are all asked this way. If I had a chance to do it again, I would have done more preparation for the mechanical questions. Other than that, I am pretty happy with it.

You have me worried about the mechanical ones now!!!! I might do a few online somewhere first, just to get a feel for the type of q's to expect!??

Davey 180 wrote: »
    You have me worried about the mechanical ones now!!!! I might do a few online somewhere first, just to get a feel for the type of q's to expect!??

I found them difficult time but others might find them easy. There was a lot of diagrams and you have a choice of three answers. An example would be two diagrams of children's swings. There are four supports on one diagram and two on the other. The question was something along the lines of which swing would have a better chance on rocking and falling over? A, B OR NEITHER

They give a couple of examples at the start of each assessment so you have an idea of what to expect.

Thanks very much for your help again. I think ill have a look for some similar kinda tests online to practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 FranticDog96

I applied also and I got the invite to apply for real. Now this is where I'm stuck, I forgot my password for my account I got when doing the expression of interest. I couldn't reset it as the server was down or something they told me.
    Could I still apply without logging in do ye know? Or would that cancel out me with 2 profiles?
    Any help would be great!

I doubt it would make any difference if you have two profiles. I applied the first time and put down the wrong result for my JC and I got an error saying I was not eligible for the role. I went back and corrected it and got an email the next day inviting me to complete the online assessments.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 FranticDog96

So I'll just go into the link they sent me, click apply here and fill out the form? What happens after that?
    Thanks! :)

• Advertisement

If you are suitable for the role they will send you a login to complete the online assessments.

Advertisement