Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB apprenticeship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

should be up here when they open the application process (whenever that is, should be soon) http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/about-us/careers.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Hi, I'm a recent university graduate and thinking of applying for the apprenticeship. Is it suitable for people like me? Or is it only aimed at younger people leaving school? I'm 24 and hold an honours degree in civil engineering.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi, I'm a recent university graduate and thinking of applying for the apprenticeship. Is it suitable for people like me? Or is it only aimed at younger people leaving school? I'm 24 and hold an honours degree in civil engineering.

Civil engineering and working as an electrician have almost nothing in common, so I can't see anything in your post to suggest that you are particularly suited to this role.

However the transition from civil engineer to electrical engineer would be far easier. In addition the employment prospects and pay are far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

2011 wrote: »
    Civil engineering and working as an electrician have almost nothing in common, so I can't see anything in your post to suggest that you are particularly suited to this role.

However the transition from civil engineer to electrical engineer would be far easier. In addition the employment prospects and pay are far better.

Its just as an alternative career as my engineering degree is useless at thye moment, can't get a job for love or money.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Its just as an alternative career as my engineering degree is useless at thye moment, can't get a job for love or money.

The only (limited) demand that I see for electricians is for experienced industrial electricians.

Electrical engineering would be a better alternative in my opinion. Also easier for someone with your qualifications to attain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Sorry for butting in but what are the Job opportunities like with a level 7 Electronic engineering degree as compared to L8 Electrical Engineering?

I mean obviously the L8 will have more but does the L7 still have a sufficient amount?

BrianG23 wrote: »
    Sorry for butting in but what are the Job opportunities like with a level 7 Electronic engineering degree as compared to L8 Electrical Engineering?

I mean obviously the L8 will have more but does the L7 still have a sufficient amount?

I am no authority on this, but from what I have seen:
    In general accredited level 8 degrees will offer more opportunities and are likely to achieve a higher pay grade. However, I have seen quite a few with a level 7 do very well particularly when they are also a qualified electrician or instrumentation technician.

From what I have seen employers simply do not rate some level 7 and level 8 courses, particularly those that are not accredited. I know people that have completed level 7 courses and ended up working with great companies such as ESBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Just to let people know, the application is up http://www.esb.ie/main/careers/current-vacancies.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

Just applied there,is it me or are applications open for a very short period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭user12

Has anyone heard back from them yet this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 guemac

think u will hear something next month

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

user12 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard back from them yet this year?

Yeh, I got an email just there, didnt click the link yet to see the available dates/times for interviews. Anyone know what options are available?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 slammed

gline wrote: »
    Yeh, I got an email just there, didnt click the link yet to see the available dates/times for interviews. Anyone know what options are available?

i got an email saying i was on to the next stage also (interview) click the link to confime dates but then got an email to say that times and dates had not being set yet and wait until further notice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Does anyone know the pay rates for the ESB apprentiship? Specifically the starting rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Standard apprentice rates, first year around 9989 from what I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dafliper

Anyone heard anything bout an interview??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fatman115

Anyone hear anything after medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hooch36

hi i was wondering i done my interview on the 25th of june and heard nothing back since did anyone get called for the medical yet

Ya I got d job

what are they still calling people back for medicals or deciding on more people any info helps thanks

• Advertisement

hooch36 wrote: »
    what are they still calling people back for medicals or deciding on more people any info helps thanks

I had d medical two weeks ago, I suppose if someone turns down the job they'll call others for a medical

ok thanks do they contact by post or email

hooch36 wrote: »
    ok thanks do they contact by post or email

Phone call buddy

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 the46gang

Hello,

Does anyone know how much apprentices recieive per weel in year 1,2,3 and 4 ??

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

the46gang wrote: »
    Hello,

Does anyone know how much apprentices recieive per weel in year 1,2,3 and 4 ??

thanks.

1st year hourly rate €6.24
    2nd €9.22
    3rd €13
    4th €16

thats off the top of my head

zega wrote: »
    1st year hourly rate €6.24
    2nd €9.22
    3rd €13
    4th €16

thats off the top of my head

That's the union rate I think, doesn't apply to ESB, I was getting <€5 an hour in first year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Is it possible to start both the apprentiship and do a separate college course too?

No, well, in theory you could do a night time/distance course, but not full time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Bobby8819

Iv applyed to te 2014 apprenticeship. Did the applitude test and was wondering has any1 got any info back from them yet or wen do they normally call forward for interviews??

Advertisement