Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photograph Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

andyS8 wrote: »
    Image142.jpg

The opening scene from Little House on the Praire

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Deerings Field at the back of the old Church in Bannow Island.

or

Somewhere over in St Leonards lookin towards Tintern

or

probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

I didn't know the edge of the world was in Wexford!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ah Now, its been over a Week, Are we gonna get an answer to this one???

I Has ta know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭vedwards

As no one guessed the correct answer to this post here it is: Ballyellis, North Wexford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

I don't think we're going to get that one. By now the crop is bailed and the field is bare. Here's an easy on to get this thread kick started again....
    WEXFORD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Is it the Lobster Pot - Lady's Island / Carne?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Yep, that's the Lobster Pot. Lovely looking pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

Yeap! The Lobster Pot. I told you it was going to be a simple one to guess :D

Try this one
    DSC00960.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

RKQ wrote: »
    Try this one
    DSC00960.JPG

is it the pier in carne?

foolelle wrote: »
    is it the pier in carne?

Yes, on a cold January day!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Try this one. Should be easy enough.

4972816612_3c5804c25b_b.jpg

The Green, new paved area to new playground from Petites Car park, Enniscothy ( Duffry - Nunery Road- St. Aidan's Villas )

The Green, new paved area to new playground from Petites Car park, Enniscorthy ( Duffry - Nunery Road- St. Aidan's Villas )

The Green, new paved area to new playground from Petites Car park, Enniscothy ( Duffry - Nunery Road- St. Aidan's Villas )

Yep! Too easy ;)

Good - Jay feel free to post another. I don't seem to have many landscape photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

1798003.jpg

*Snip*]

Market Square Enniscorthy, And some spa with a marker.

How about this?.

4951999864_d93f77b291_b.jpg

Where I'll end up if not careful - St.Senan's? :D

• Advertisement

Where I'll end up if not careful - St.Senan's? :D

Ah but taken from where?

From the top of Davis' Mill at St.Johns or the middle of the Slaney? :D

From the top of Davis' Mill at St.Johns or the middle of the Slaney? :D

Nope! The end of the prom!

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Market Square Enniscorthy, And some spa with a marker.

What sort of sad brain dead individual would write such rubbish on the 1798 Monument?
    Its hard to believe the Author thinks they are clever. If I was the Author, I'd hide... all Republicans of all shades, will be disgusted and may want blood.

Come on Town Council - clean it off, its right outside your Office - its a disgrace.

What sort of sad brain dead individual would write such rubbish on the 1798 Monument?
    Its hard to believe the Author thinks they are clever. If I was the Author, I'd hide... all Republicans of all shades, will be disgusted and may want blood.

Come on Town Council - clean it off, its right outside your Office - its a disgrace.
    Not sure if that's the connotation...I think it's the lyrics from Lady Gaga's Bad Romance. At least that's sprung to mind when I saw it first. And if they want blood they need look no closer than Lady Gaga's latest fasion accessory...a costume made out of flesh.
    But I totally agree...this is a sad case of vandalism. My Great-grandfather was one of the men employed to assist in the erecting of this statue. My Grandmother use to tell me a story of how it almost toppled over onto the workers but her Father using superhuman strength held in steady until it could be secured properly. Probably a family fable. She also related to me that during it's erection, the business people of the town, threw coins into the base for good luck. It must have worked because they're the same people that still own half the town today!
    I'm open to correction but I think it one of only two commissions on public display by Sheppard. The other being the 'Death of Cúchulainn' in the GPO.
    What about this....127790.jpg

The Battle of Tubberneering memorial on the old N11 at Clough near Gorey.

Slightly off topic - an account of the interesting battle below from a forthcoming South East Guide that I'm working on.

Clough

On June 4th 1798 Gorey was still under the control of Crown forces and some 1,500 men and five cannons had been gathered together there under the command of a Major General Loftus. On the morning of the 4th, General Loftus proceeded south from Gorey to engage rebel forces gathered in the vicinity of Carrigrew Hill. At the south end of Gorey he divided his forces, with Colonel Walpole proceeding along the present main road to Clough where he turned off left (immediately beyond the present filling station) in the direction of Ballymore. In the meantime General Loftus, his second- in -command Colonel Scott and the main contingent took the left turn outside Gorey and headed for Ballycanew.

Colonel Walpole, who some historians maintain may have held his commission due to friends in Dublin Castle rather than military prowess was keen to make a name for himself, ignored the advice of his staff officers regarding the sighting of rebel scouts and this sealed his column’s fate. Rounding a bend in the road little more than two miles from Clough, at a place called Tubberneering, his company ran into a hastily prepared rebel ambush. The terrain was ideal for an ambush, high mud banks covered with bushes on each side of the narrow road made the use of Walpoles’ cannon impossible and his soldiers were caught in a vicious crossfire. Walpole himself was one of the first to fall but his force rallied and the battle raged on for almost two hours before the crown forces fell back in some disarray on Clough. Their retreat/rout continued on back into Gorey and didn’t stop until the safety of Arklow was reached. A relief column sent by General Loftus arrived at Clough too late to save the day and was in fact itself annihilated with only 2 out of 100 men escaping with their lives! By the time General Loftus and the main column reached Tubberneering and then Clough it was all over. The General led his column back towards Gorey but when he came in sight of Gorey Hill, at the southern approach to the town, he realised the size of the Rebel force gathered there and the danger he was in and turned back retreating to the relative safety of Carnew. That night almost all of Co.Wexford save for the isolated fort at Duncannon and the town of New Ross were under Rebel control. However, the Rebels failed to press home their advantage in the following days and Tubberneering was in some ways the turning point of the whole rebellion in the south east, culminating in the defeats at Arklow, New Ross and Vinegar Hill. It now seems probable that the hesitation of the Rebel leadership to press on to Arklow and then Dublin was due to news of the failure of the rebellion in Dublin extracted from Lord Kingsborough captured on the June 2nd 1798 on a ship in Wexford Harbour. But this is speculation and we will probably never know why the rebellion faltered.

There’s not much today to remind the traveller of the bloody events of that day save for, a Celtic Cross memorial at the junction with the N11.

The Battle of Tuberneering memorial on the old N11 at Clough near Gorey.
    Full marks Judgement Day. I commented to one of the locals how well this area was maintained. A little praise goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

The Battle of Tubberneering memorial on the old N11 at Clough near Gorey.

Slightly off topic - an account of the interesting battle below from a forthcoming South East Guide that I'm working on.

Clough

On June 4th 1798 Gorey was still under the control of Crown forces and some 1,500 men and five cannons had been gathered together there under the command of a Major General Loftus. On the morning of the 4th, General Loftus proceeded south from Gorey to engage rebel forces gathered in the vicinity of Carrigrew Hill. At the south end of Gorey he divided his forces, with Colonel Walpole proceeding along the present main road to Clough where he turned off left (immediately beyond the present filling station) in the direction of Ballymore. In the meantime General Loftus, his second- in -command Colonel Scott and the main contingent took the left turn outside Gorey and headed for Ballycanew.

Colonel Walpole, who some historians maintain may have held his commission due to friends in Dublin Castle rather than military prowess was keen to make a name for himself, ignored the advice of his staff officers regarding the sighting of rebel scouts and this sealed his column’s fate. Rounding a bend in the road little more than two miles from Clough, at a place called Tubberneering, his company ran into a hastily prepared rebel ambush. The terrain was ideal for an ambush, high mud banks covered with bushes on each side of the narrow road made the use of Walpoles’ cannon impossible and his soldiers were caught in a vicious crossfire. Walpole himself was one of the first to fall but his force rallied and the battle raged on for almost two hours before the crown forces fell back in some disarray on Clough. Their retreat/rout continued on back into Gorey and didn’t stop until the safety of Arklow was reached. A relief column sent by General Loftus arrived at Clough too late to save the day and was in fact itself annihilated with only 2 out of 100 men escaping with their lives! By the time General Loftus and the main column reached Tubberneering and then Clough it was all over. The General led his column back towards Gorey but when he came in sight of Gorey Hill, at the southern approach to the town, he realised the size of the Rebel force gathered there and the danger he was in and turned back retreating to the relative safety of Carnew. That night almost all of Co.Wexford save for the isolated fort at Duncannon and the town of New Ross were under Rebel control. However, the Rebels failed to press home their advantage in the following days and Tubberneering was in some ways the turning point of the whole rebellion in the south east, culminating in the defeats at Arklow, New Ross and Vinegar Hill. It now seems probable that the hesitation of the Rebel leadership to press on to Arklow and then Dublin was due to news of the failure of the rebellion in Dublin extracted from Lord Kingsborough captured on the June 2nd 1798 on a ship in Wexford Harbour. But this is speculation and we will probably never know why the rebellion faltered.

There’s not much today to remind the traveller of the bloody events of that day save for, a Celtic Cross memorial at the junction with the N11.

Ref the bold...hardly a surprise, all military commissions could be bought and sold back then. The practice didn't cease until the 1870s.

I feel a NEW STICKY in the the air :DHistory of Wexford.
    Sometime ago I posted the memorial monument at Ballyellis to another engagement but no one guessed it :-(
    It surprises me how many people build houses on the sites of these battles. I'm not overly superstitious, but I would not build a house on the scene of such terrible carnage as was the case in many of these engagements.
    Here is a photo of a memorial stone barely visible by passing motorists. Sorry for the quality of the hastily taken photograph as it was taken from a stationary vehicle :eek:

It would be advantageous Judgement Day if a map of the engagements accompanied the very information description you gave ;).

• Advertisement

128685.JPG

Advertisement