Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photograph Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Well done Dougal. (lovely day in the snow)
    Went for a walk up Shrule Rock today and took first picture looking east over Raheen, Ballyduff, Camolin and sea in the distance.
    2nd Picture taken from the front of my house sunset behind Sliabh Bui

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

ok im goina jump in here as its been so quiet.............

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Tibet.

scaller wrote: »
    Tibet.

nope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

Slieve Coillte looking towards Bannow Bay?

• Advertisement

patff wrote: »
    Slieve Coillte looking towards Bannow Bay?

afraid not, the budda was there when i got there

anyone...................??

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

Forth Mountain:confused:

'scorthy wrote: »
    Forth Mountain:confused:

:D:Dwayhey:D:D summit of forth mountain is correct

Whoopee! Do I get to keep the Buddha? :D

How about this location? Can you name the Mansion or area? I think the hill on the right covered in gorse gives it away ;).

• Advertisement

is it mohurry mills

I'm afraid not Scaller. A lot closure to Scallerland than Kiltealy ;)

Looking across at the Daphne with Doyle's pub at the still pond, Monart house and Raynears factory in the background.
    The house is dentist McCarthy's.

Spot on there Scaller :D.
    Originally, I think it was Bloomfield House or the Farmar Estate or maybe Colclough's, or all three. But maybe Judgement Day, our local historian on boards, could fill us in. When I was a lad we called it Maher's Mansion (as a child I thought it had some Astrological connotation as I picked it up as "MARS" Mansion :o). I think there is reference to it during 1798 when the Crown Forces encamped near the 17th fairway at Enniscorthy Golf Club which is not far from where I took the photo.
    The Daphne is famous because of Marconi and the Jameson connection. Shame to see there is nothing left, not even the semblance of a ruin - not even a plaque :(.

here's a photo taken inside a well known Wexford pub. Don't mind the joker in the pic, just the pub.

th_sod.jpg?t=1298468093

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I know the bloke, but not the Pub

I know the bloke, but not the Pub

I suppose there's not much to go by in the photo. But its an old style pub......close to Legendary in fact. ;)

Antique Tavern Enniscorthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

God bless your eyesight but it could be anywhere.

no, it's a rural pub, south Wexford............

clue from earlier
    close to Legendary

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Oh Jaysus, rackin me brains tryin to remember the name of that little pub in Duncormick.
    Sinnots???

Oh Jaysus, rackin me brains tryin to remember the name of that little pub in Duncormick.
    Sinnots???

Correct, here's a "critique" of Sinnott's, as printed in the Wexford Echo lately....:cool:

Sinnott’s pub Duncormick: Still open after 216 years

by David Looby

The Sinnott’s of Duncormick know how to do business.
    How else have they survived the vicissitudes of keeping their door open every day for 211 years.
    Stepping inside Sinnott’s is like stepping back in time. More like a living room than a modern pub, what makes Sinnott’s tick is the personality of the owner Sammy, who has time for everybody, the only problem is nobody wants to leave once they get inside.
    “It’s still here,” Sammy tells The Echo with a smile when we call to him. “Not bad considering we’ve been open since 1795.”
    Located on the corner of Duncormick village, this thatched pub, with its four windows peeking out, has been the hub of the community ever since Mary Murphy opened it in 1795.
    Stop in any morning and you’ll find six hardy local men drinking tea and chatting with Sammy, and John Kenny who has worked on the farm and in the pub over five decades.
    “I have lads who had their first drink here 50 years ago who are retired now and who come in for a chat every morning,” Sammy says.
    Pull up a stool and by the time you’ve taken a sup of your drink you’ll feel as relaxed as you’ve been in ages.
    The TV is seldom on, there are no pub promotions. The only rules are be in early (for tea). If you want something stronger Sinnott’s opens at 10p.m. and stays open.
    He gets mini-buses of people coming from Wexford town some weekends, but it is the regulars which keep Sinnott’s open.
    Along the aged walls are photos of locals, hundreds of them, stretching back through the decades. The faces of those who worked and frequented Sinnott’s have come and gone and yet the pub remains.
    There is a preservation order on the premises which can claim to be one of the oldest shebeens in the country. Fighters in the battles of Horetown and Ross quenched their thirst here, as did the hundreds of men who built the Bridgetown Canal and the Rosslare to Waterford railway in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
    Generations of Wexfordians have knocked on the door knocker at the side of the pub to gain entry to Sinnott’s down through the centuries. The same people have left the pub, faces red from drink and laughter in the early hours of the morning, waved farewell by Sammy.
    Now 81, he is always around the pub, but spends a lot of his time in the kitchen behind leaving the work to his trusty friend John.
    Sinnott’s was originally a grocery shop, carried on by generations of Sinnotts. His grandfather John used to sell coal there which he got in through nearby lake, Bar of Lough, from Newport in Wales. He also sold bottles of whiskey from Devereux’s Distillery in Bishopswater at a time when a gallon cost 17 shillings.
    Sammy produces a well-worn ledger from this period, containing the names of hundreds of locals who relied on Sinnott’s for their supplies
    “It was the computer of those days,” he says.
    Sammy tells me of all the characters who have visited his pub through the years.
    On busy nights, the tap room, located at the back, is full, as is the kitchen, but you never get the impression there is any hassle or stress in getting a pint. The former manager of the Rolling Stones certainly didn’t think so anyway, staying with Sammy for a time every year for 25 years. The band’s drummer Charlie Watts also visited the pub and invited Sammy up to their Slane Castle gig in 1983.
    “I was on the stage with them with Mick Berry from the Wren’s Nest,” he adds.
    The secret to Sinnott’s success lies in looking after your neighbours, even at short notice and before we go Sammy passes on this pearl of wisdom: “We have been through a lot of recessions and a Famine. It’s easier to keep a small place like this open. This is not a great business to be greedy in, because the greedy pig is the first to the slaughter!”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 effemall

help me out here someone. how do you get a picture to here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

was it sinnotts?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭delsutton2008

As it's been ages since anyone posted a pic I thought I'd upload one to get the brain going early in the week. Don't think it's particularly difficult, but then I know exactly where I was when I took it biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10 convoymusic

here's one i found on facebook :D
    photo.php?fbid=200283333388587&set=a.200283283388592.51286.187081844708736&type=1&theater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

here's one i found on facebook :D
    photo.php?fbid=200283333388587&set=a.200283283388592.51286.187081844708736&type=1&theater

Epic fail! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 convoymusic

better? :D
    [IMG][/img]11ramnc.jpg

That Wexford City by any chance? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

New Ross - 2002
    NewRossskyview.jpg

Advertisement