Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Welcome Digs! Iguana could probably answer you about the maca, she's done a good bit of research on it. I don't know a whole lot about it, my OH is taking 3 capsules a day (bottle says 1-6 :rolleyes: )
    so acu is working for you. I'm really thinking of giving it a go. I had planned to go in Jan then got preggo but miscarried. Just couldn't bring myself to do it after that. My main worry is that it will release all of my stress and pain. I know that's not a bad thing but on the other hand I don't want to have a meltdown during the session - that's my biggest fear:o

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Digs wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

Have been keeping an eye on this thread for a while now, you are so supportive of each other it's great. I had to set up a new username as friends know my other one and didn't want them knowing what me and the hubby are up to :P

Got married in July and we have decided to "go for it"!!! Am very nervous of the whole TTC area as I have PCOS but fingers crossed it won't be an issue.

I just wanted to say I had my first accupuncture session two weeks ago with my next one tomorrow and I found it so beneficial already! I can suffer with anxiety and stress gets to me very easily so I wanted to try it to preempt any TTC stress that might be coming my way ;) I can't really explain it but things didn't seem so worrying afterwards if that makes sense :) The lady was lovely and discussed temping etc so I feel like I have a bit of support there too!!

I have a question about the maca though. Bought some this week and myself and the hubby have been taking it, bought it in the powder form in Holland and Barrett, he gulps it back in a glass of water where I have to forcibly throw it down my throat through yoghurt :o On the packaging it says to take 1-2 tablespoons but online some stockists recommend starting off on a 1/4 teaspoon.....I wonder is my brand a lesser strength or something although I googled it and it's certified?? Also there's no indication of when during the month to take it???

Sorry for the long first post.....I am rambling. But nice to meet you all and best wishes :-)

Welcome Digs! My sis got Acupuncture and swore by it, after her etopic, and I was certainly considering it before I got pregnant. Best of luck TTC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Oh I am sorry for your loss. I can completely understand your apprehension re acu, I was really nervous myself and didn't know what to expect. On the other hand maybe if you're not ready or are afraid of completely letting out all the stress and pain inside you may not be able to get the absolute most out of it. If anything I found initially (and the accupuncturist explained) if you are pysically tense It can be uncomfortable....

Personally I found it a big relief,to let everything out and to have someone say I can help you (obviously whether she can or not remains to be seen), but the sense of calm I left her office with was worth one session alone. I find it very hard to switch my brain off and not over analyse things especially now we are TTC and since my first apt with her I find things just don't get on top of me as easy and I can approach things alot more calmly! I really have been so impressed, hopefully this continues :) It could be a complete psychological thing, but hey it worked :)

Thanks for the welcome Neyite! Great to hear it helped someone else, hopefully I continue to benefit from it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Feel better Newbie & Fri.day!!

Welcome javagirl & Digs

I don't feel so much like the new girl on here anymore :p

I'm in my 2nd cycle of trying after coming off pill (on it for 10yrs or so). Although when I say 2nd cycle, I'm right at the tail end of it... I hope! On CD34.

All this maca talk has me interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

DF hadn`t thought of that but I`m having the meltdown already it might as well be in a confined/controlled space!!! :p
    The temperature (BBT) has come up a lot when I did a bit of googling on Acupuncture for fertility and having a low temp seems to be a problem with TTC, my temp monday morning was 35.7 :eek: The paranoia oh god :confused:

• Advertisement

Fri.day try not read too much into temps, you'll go crazy. All you're looking for is a sustained thermal shift after ovulation. Individual temps matter a jot, it's the pattern in the entire cycle that's important. I have more or less given up temping, it made me crazy. I temp for about 6 days only each cycle. I start a couple of days before I think I'm going to ovulate and I keep taking it till Fertility Friend chart pinpoints the day, then I lock my thermometer away. ;)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

javagal wrote: »
    Came off pill this month.. EEK nervous!!
    God knows when my period will show up but when it does we will start properly trying.
    Feel great after stopping pill,perfect skin, increased libido(Mine had gone altogethere with pill)
    exciting times

Welcome Javagirl! I was pretty regular after a month or two off the pill, hopefully it will be the same for you. Good job you got your libido back - you are gonna need it ;)

Fri.Day wrote: »
    DF hadn`t thought of that but I`m having the meltdown already it might as well be in a confined/controlled space!!! :p
    The temperature (BBT) has come up a lot when I did a bit of googling on Acupuncture for fertility and having a low temp seems to be a problem with TTC, my temp monday morning was 35.7 :eek: The paranoia oh god :confused:

I never got into the swing of temping. I was grand Monday to Friday, but the weekend I dont surface until lunchtime so was temping about 4 hrs later than the rest of the week. Also the chart was impossible to read in the morning when I couldnt get out of bed to switch on the light. I was lucky though that I had other ov signs -mittlesmertz and mucus, and my cycle was pretty regular so felt I could do without.

I think Detectives idea is a good one - test for a few days then lock it away and relax.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Digs wrote: »
    On the packaging it says to take 1-2 tablespoons but online some stockists recommend starting off on a 1/4 teaspoon.....I wonder is my brand a lesser strength or something although I googled it and it's certified?? Also there's no indication of when during the month to take it???

As far as I know the reason it some packs say to start lower is that some people find they have too much energy if they go straight to 2 tablespoons and prefer to build up to it in case they have trouble sleeping.

Maca is a foodstuff so it is supposedly safe to take all month but there are have been few specific studies done on it, so you might prefer to cut it back/out when you are at the stage where you might be pregnant. The thing is it helps lower progesterone, and high progesterone is a common cause of miscarriage, so if you are taking it and have a miscarriage history you run a risk of your progesterone suddenly shooting up if you stop taking it.

(I so wish I'd bought shares in maca before posting about it on this thread. :D )

iguana wrote: »
    As far as I know the reason it some packs say to start lower is that some people find they have too much energy if they go straight to 2 tablespoons and prefer to build up to it in case they have trouble sleeping.

Maca is a foodstuff so it is supposedly safe to take all month but there are have been few specific studies done on it, so you might prefer to cut it back/out when you are at the stage where you might be pregnant. The thing is it helps lower progesterone, and high progesterone is a common cause of miscarriage, so if you are taking it and have a miscarriage history you run a risk of your progesterone suddenly shooting up if you stop taking it.

(I so wish I'd bought shares in maca before posting about it on this thread. :D )

Thanks so much for the info iguana! Naughty boards isn't letting me thank you ladies posts but I appreciate all the help! My progesterone levels can be a bit higher then average due to pcos so I suppose it can only help in that respect :)

You should definitely consider shares haha you know your stuff :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Fri.Day wrote: »

Fri.Day I didn't have particularly high temps when I was using BBT and got alot of comments on another forum about how I should get my thyroid and stuff checked, really frightened me however I'd already had that checked so I knew I was fine. Turns out my temps were fine (for me, we are all individuals:)) as I got pregnant that cycle :).
    I've attached a copy of my chart so you can see what I mean, don't stress out too much, just use your temps as a guide and not a bible :)

chart136643-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 35 irishgal2012

Hi Ladies!

Im new here so bear with me if i dont know the meaning of all your abbreviations etc!!

I'm heading into my 3rd cycle off the pill, didnt really try the first month, this month tried a little harder-even thought for a second I might be pregnant but then BAM! my AF arrived bang on 28 days...the only thing im hapy about is that im having regular periods...I had read horror stories about being on the pill and not having a period for months after!

Anyway, I havent read all of this thread as its waaaaay too long..but just wondering if anyone can give me info on what this MACA is that you're all talking about? Is it something I should be taking? My doc just told me to take Folic Acid which I ve been taking for about 6 months now in preparation for TTC anyway! My husband is taking Zinc ....is there anything else we should be taking?

Or does anyone know of anything i should be taking to ensure im ovulating again? I assume I am as ive had changes in my discharge and my doc said this prob meant im ovulating but just to be sure? I dont think i could handle the pressure of temping and all that-im a bit of a stress monkey as it is and dont wanna become obsessed with TTC either...wanna have some fun while im doing it! ;)

Thanks Ladies! Baby dust to you all *****

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

Irishgal taking the folic acid and zinc for himself shold be fine, just general healthy living, less alcohol, no smoking and a bit of excercise.
    The Maca is a supplement (capsule/powder) for increasing libido, cervical mucus and helps with sperm quality. That what I gather from info on here and googling...

Thanks Fri.day! We're halfway there so, neither of us smokes, we drink only very rarely and try our best to get a bit of exercise in!!

Hopefully with some luck we wont be waiting too long! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

irishgirl good luck with the tic

Im Stil waiting for AF I'm beyond disappointed this month to not have got a positive :( oh away so glad not upset around him. Im starting to think we'll never get pregnant. Sorry for moaning maybe af on the way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

applesock wrote: »
    irishgirl good luck with the tic

Im Stil waiting for AF I'm beyond disappointed this month to not have got a positive :( oh away so glad not upset around him. Im starting to think we'll never get pregnant. Sorry for moaning maybe af on the way :D

I feel a bit like this today too bug I'm only 8 dpo so AF shouldnt be onthe way just yet.

Thanks applesock! Im sure it will happen for you, try not to stress too much. Im so afraid of becoming too stressed out over this-and surely stress wouldnt help! I have a friend who has been TTC for about 2 years now and ive seen how it has consumed her, its so hard to see her suffering like that but theres nothing i can say or do that will console her. I dont wanna end up like that so im trying to just take it easy and let nature take its course, but I can totally see how it would take over! Im not talking too much about it with my hubby as i dont wanna put pressure on him either! But its very early days for us, so i cant really say how ill feel if we've had no luck in months or years time...im sure id be just as upset every month!

Have a look at the Sperm meets Egg plan by Deanna (google it). She mentions stress and whether it affects TTC I think.

CD 36 here. :rolleyes: Sweet jesus come on AF!!

This maca stuff is something else! Been taking it a week and Mr Digs has the energy of a teenager :D

Mink wrote: »
    CD 36 here. :rolleyes: Sweet jesus come on AF!!
    And you definitely couldn't be....dare I say it....preggers????

I'm CD31....dying to test but I know its too early. If I'm honest, I dont feel pregnant. Sore boobs went away at the end of ovulation. I know I'll still be gutted though. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Hope34

Hi All,
    Hope you don't mind me joining in with you guys. Have been reading for a while & have really enjoyed all your posts. Have laughed and cried with you all! Has just taken a bit of courage to join in....

We haven't been TTC for too long, only since we got married in April of this year. It's incredible though how quickly it consumes you! plus the harder you try to 'chill out' about it all, the worse it gets. OH thinks i'm obsessing too much, you can't plan these things, it will happen when it happens blah blah. Yet I feel like i need to take some control....

I'm 34 (almost 35) and have a very irregular cycle, which swings from 32 to 47, so trying to pinpoint ovulation is really difficult. I have bought the cheapy OPKs & stocked up on Preseed. Find the pressed great ;) but the OPK's are really frustrating. Never seem to get a positive that i'm positive about (pun intended!).
    On CD18 of this cycle now (no OPK Positives, only a few faint lines & not getting progressively darker, they're faint one day, non existent the next), but have been DTD every 2nd day since CD13. Don't seem to get any symptoms, i [think] i may feel a twinge on one or the other side but OPK's are neg. Am terrified nothings happening at all & that why the OPK's don't seem to be working!

I was thinking of going to go and buy some more expensive clearblue OPKs and use them over the coming days alongside the cheapys? (if i take ave of last few cycles, then should ov CD22/23 Tues/Weds, but i really don't know!) Was also going to stock up on some maca too! & may try AC next month....

Any suggestions welcome. But mostly just nice to talk about it with peeps going through the same thing.

newbie! wrote: »
    And you definitely couldn't be....dare I say it....preggers????

I'm CD31....dying to test but I know its too early. If I'm honest, I dont feel pregnant. Sore boobs went away at the end of ovulation. I know I'll still be gutted though. :(

I really really doubt I am. AF was due due cd31, tested next day on clearblue with first wee of the day, BFN. If I was preg, it would have shown up on that. The really annoying thing was that I felt pregnant... but then I have absolutely nothing to base it on as I've never been preg before!

Having said all that I'll test Mon if nothing by then. But because I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm not up the pole, I just want AF to arrive.

I hope you get sore boobs again haha

Welcome Hope34!

There are others on here who are way more knowledgeable than I.
    I know one regular poster was saying that they invested in the Clearblue ov monitor thing. I think it's reasonably expensive, say 70 or 80. But if you're going to spend money on the ov test sticks, may as well go for something more reliable, especially as your cycle is irregular.

I didn't have any luck with the OPK sticks, never seemed to get a positive, but I know some others have. I've a feeling that you have to use them with a really undiluted urine sample at the same time every afternoon. I wasn't so disciplined re how much I drank prior to the test & sometimes I wouldn't get home til 9 or 10 & was testing then.

Best of luck though. It does help being on this thread as I don't really have anyone to talk to about it other than hubbie & I think he's sick of hearing about all the banal technicalities, he just likes the process :D.

Can't really talk to my sisters either as they absolutely hoover the stuff up & get pregnant straight away. Seriously, my older sister missed a pill, the condom broke, took the morning after pill & still got pregnant. They also both can tell exactly when they ovulate & have perfectly exact cycles. I think I am the milkman's child as I'm very irregular right now.

There are others on here who are way more knowledgeable than I.
    I know one regular poster was saying that they invested in the Clearblue ov monitor thing. I think it's reasonably expensive, say 70 or 80. But if you're going to spend money on the ov test sticks, may as well go for something more reliable, especially as your cycle is irregular.

I have a ClearBlue monitor, I think they are actually about €150 new and you still have to buy sticks each month. I got mine on ebay for a total of €72, incl postage, with 2 months worth of sticks. (The person I bought it from got knocked up after 2 months use, following a year of unsuccessful trying.) However it says on the instruction booklet that it's not always suitable for women with very irregular cycles. I've just checked and it says it's designed for women with cycles between 21 and 42 days.
    The Clearblue® Easy Fertility Monitor is suitable for you if your natural cycle normally lasts between 21 and 42 days. The majority of women will need 10 Test Sticks in each cycle. Women with irregular or long cycles may have to use 20 Test Sticks each cycle in order to detect their most fertile time.

Certain medical conditions and medications can adversely affect the performance of the Clearblue® Easy Fertility Monitor. If you have menopausal symptoms, polycystic ovarian syndrome, impaired liver or kidney function, or if you are pregnant or have recently been pregnant (even if not carried to full term), you may get misleading results.

You may also get misleading results if you are using antibiotics containing tetracycline, hormonal treatments (e.g. hormonal contraception, hormone replacement therapy), fertility treatments containing human Chorionic Gonadotrophin(hCG) or Luteinizing Hormone (LH), or any treatment that might affect your cycle.

If you’re taking clomiphene citrate, we advise you to consult your doctor for advice before using the Clearblue® Easy Fertility Monitor. Clomiphene citrate can raise estrogen levels and this may result in High Fertility being declared early in the cycle and more High Fertility days being displayed, and in some cases the Monitor may not show Peak Fertility even when ovulation occurs.

We recommend that you always read the manufacturers instructions for any medication you are taking before conducting a test.

If you’ve recently been breastfeeding, using hormonal treatments (e.g. hormonal contraception, including emergency contraception, fertility treatments, hormone replacement therapy), or any other treatment that might affect your cycle, you should wait until you’ve had at least two natural menstrual cycles in a row (each lasting 21-42 days), before using the Clearblue® Easy Fertility Monitor.

Similarly, if you have recently been pregnant (even if not carried to full term) we advise you to wait until you’ve had at least two natural menstrual cycles in a row (each lasting 21-42 days) before using the Clearblue® Easy Fertility Monitor. This is to ensure that the results are not affected by any hCG you may still have in your body just after pregnancy.

Please speak to your doctor if you need further advice.

Welsome to all the newbies :)

Hope34, I think you should go to your GP and get bloods done. Irregular cycles are fairly common but can also be the symptom of an underlying problem (PCOS etc.). Sounds like you're not ovulating. My cycles were as erratic as yours before I went on clomid. One was 73 days! Clomid hasn't really helped me (well I did get pg but had a mis) but it really sorted out my ovulation and cycle length.

Welsome to all the newbies :)

Hope34, I think you should go to your GP and get bloods done. Irregular cycles are fairly common but can also be the symptom of an underlying problem (PCOS etc.). Sounds like you're not ovulating. My cycles were as erratic as yours before I went on clomid. One was 73 days! Clomid hasn't really helped me (well I did get pg but had a mis) but it really sorted out my ovulation and cycle length.

Well I got my period full force today! That makes this cycle 36 days, the last one was 31. This would be quite an irregular cycle right?

Well I got my period full force today! That makes this cycle 36 days, the last one was 31. This would be quite an irregular cycle right?

I don't know if it does. Years back my cycle used to be anywhere from 27-36 days apart and I asked a couple of doctors about it who said that was considered regular as it was basically coming every 4-5 weeks. She said few women are bang on the same amount of days every month unless they are taking hormones.

I don't know if it does. Years back my cycle used to be anywhere from 27-36 days apart and I asked a couple of doctors about it who said that was considered regular as it was basically coming every 4-5 weeks. She said few women are bang on the same amount of days every month unless they are taking hormones.

I was like clockwork on the pill but in hindsight it is so false. I felt absolutely nothing. I feel so aware of my body now by comparison. I'm CD32 now and judging by ovulation dates, I think it should be a 37day cycle as per the previous 2 months. Am hoping against hope this month. Am smothered with headcold this week and was afraid to take too much much medication just in case :o

newbie! wrote: »
    Am smothered with headcold this week and was afraid to take too much much medication just in case :o

That's the worst isn't it. Spending the two week wait being so good that you don't take decent medication when you feel like crap but you don't know if you are being a good mummy or a delusional martyr. :o

• Advertisement

That's the worst isn't it. Spending the two week wait being so good that you don't take decent medication when you feel like crap but you don't know if you are being a good mummy or a delusional martyr. :o

Unfortunately I think it's delusional. I just gave in and did an early pregnancy test and it was negative. If I go to the doc this month what exactly will they begin by checking?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement