Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

oh so sorry to hear it Playbunny. Was the blood red or brown hon? How far along are you? Did you previously get a positive on a digital test? xoxo

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Playbunny, I am so sorry to hear that - I really hope that its not anything to worry about - the bleeding can be quite common and not mean that anything is wrong, especially since you dont have any cramps, but the negative test is a concern. :(
    Big hugs to you and your hubby...

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

oh so sorry to hear it Playbunny. Was the blood red or brown hon? How far along are you? Did you previously get a positive on a digital test? xoxo

thanks girls, it was reddish slimy , but nothing directly on my knickers only when i use a tissue but no cramps etc, i would have been 5wks and got a positive just on tue on a clearblue and faint lines last sun.mon on the stick tests...

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

Play Bunny wrote: »
    thanks girls, it was reddish slimy , but nothing directly on my knickers only when i use a tissue but no cramps etc, i would have been 5wks and got a positive just on tue on a clearblue and faint lines last sun.mon on the stick tests...
    try not to worry too much about it I got that too and i was actually pregnant ;););)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi ladies. I recently had a miscarriage at 4 weeks. I thought I was having my usual period but I passed what was clearly an embryo. It was tiny but perfect. I am currently breastfeeding a 5 month old and I've heard that bfing can lower your progesterone levels and low progesterone levels can cause a mis. Does anyone know if this is true? Thanks.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hadnt heard this before until I read your post and had a google, and the quick look I had seems to be conflicted - I have seen some doctors say that it is true, others that its not the cause. You would probably need to discuss it with your doctor I guess to be sure.

What I do know is that the raised levels of prolactin in breastfeeding can be up to 90% effective against pregnancy, hence why women rarely get pregnant while breastfeeding. There does seem to be a link between low progesterone and early miscarriage, but it is possible that breastfeeding would not cause a miscarriage alone, that there may have been other contributary factors. The problem is that they just do not know all the reasons that a miscarriage can occur. I would not necessarily pin it on breastfeeding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Hi play bunny, any change today? Have fingers crossed for you x

Sorry to hear about your miss Advice Welcomed, hope you're doing ok. How's everyone else?

I'm just into my two week wait. I feel it's my first real wait in six months as this is the only cycle where I know I did ovulate. Am really hopeful :) I also stopped taking agnus castus just in case I am. I might also pick up vit b12 on i think neyites recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Hope it was just a bad test play bunny!

I am out this month! And I was so good at the wedding at the weekend :mad: barely even sipped the champers during the toasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Hi guys, sorry to hear about your worries Play Bunny, and Wolfpawn there's always this month, at least that's my mantra.

Well I bought my Maca at the weekend, and yersterday tried it on my porridge, I gagged. This I put down to the feed of drinks after the match yesterday and just thought right we'll try again tomorrow, and this morning it was just worse and in fact I can still taste it. The lady in the shop said the powder absorbed better but well nothing will get absoprbed if I can't take it.
    I would point out I'm not a gaggy person. I can deal with the most minging things, but this was just a step too far. Hubbie going to see can he get tablet form today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

So sorry to hear the news Playbunny :(

Got a BFN on a Clearblue this morning :( Boo!

Period was due yesterday, on CD32 now, no sign of AF yet. Would like it to start just so I can get started on the next month and get going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭carlyam2

ok ive what mite be a stupid question ive decided to start charting me cycle and i went and bought my thermometer now can i just take me temp from the mouth rather than doing it any other way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

carlyam2 wrote: »
    ok ive what mite be a stupid question ive decided to start charting me cycle and i went and bought my thermometer now can i just take me temp from the mouth rather than doing it any other way?

there are a few ways to take it, your mouth, your arm pit, your ear (electronic) or down south, whatever suits yourself :)

thanks a million wolfpat, wasnt too sure on what way to do it. now me only hassle is i hope i remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

Oh god Playbunny hope its just a false alarm, did you go to Doctor yet?, fingers crossed for you.
    Carlyam2 ive started temping since m/c so when my alarm goes i hit the switch and stick the thermometer in my mouth, I manage 5 outta 7 mornings to get it right, some mornings I wake up bursting to go to the loo and those 10 secs are an eternity!!
    :)
    My husband and myself have started this Maca (in juice)so hopefully we`re in the mood for this fertile time which might be this weekend as I`m on CD 9.
    I`ve booked myself in for some Acupuncture this week, consultation first and we`ll see from there. It can`t be any harm can it? Anyone else try it?
    I`m hoping it will help with my emotional state, stress and hormones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

thanks a million wolfpat, wasnt too sure on what way to do it. now me only hassle is i hope i remember.

Also remember it's best to temp at the same time each morning before you get out of bed and your body has time to start warming up from you moving about. Best of luck with it I found it a great help :)

I found the best way to get consistent temps is vaginally. It's dead simple, just insert it about an inch. I usually fall back asleep after for a few mins! When temping via your mouth you have to keep it still and don't let any air in/out - pain in the ass. Also, if you suffer from open mouth during sleep (which many people do) this can affect your temperature in your mouth in the morning, hence vaginal is better :)

Newbie, best of luck, fingers and toes crossed for you ;)

As for me, I'm on day 15. Ovulation is taking it's sweet old time as usual. Also I'm not in the humour of doing the deed but OH says we MUSt do it tonight :rolleyes: think the Maca must be kicking in :p

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

HI everyone.

I find it hard to temp as do shift work so can never do it the same time everyday.

You all say great things about this Maca. Can anyone give me some more info though?

HOw long should you take it for? is it capsule? tablet? liquid? whats its benefits etc....

cheers guys.

playbunny- hope it was just a scare and everything is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Well I bought my Maca at the weekend, and yersterday tried it on my porridge, I gagged. This I put down to the feed of drinks after the match yesterday and just thought right we'll try again tomorrow, and this morning it was just worse and in fact I can still taste it. The lady in the shop said the powder absorbed better but well nothing will get absoprbed if I can't take it.
    I would point out I'm not a gaggy person. I can deal with the most minging things, but this was just a step too far. Hubbie going to see can he get tablet form today :D

I can only imagine how vile the powder must taste. I got the capsules, but if you put them in your mouth first then drank water to wash them down, you'd get the rotten taste from them. I had to throw them down the hatch fast!

Detectiv, good to see they're working for your other half :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Nicky987 wrote: »
    HI everyone.

I find it hard to temp as do shift work so can never do it the same time everyday.

You all say great things about this Maca. Can anyone give me some more info though?

HOw long should you take it for? is it capsule? tablet? liquid? whats its benefits etc....

cheers guys.

playbunny- hope it was just a scare and everything is ok

They don't give you any info on the tub of capsules, it just says take 'between 1-6' per day. I took 3 per day and found it very effective within 10 days.

It both increased the amount & consistency of cervical mucus, but also worked wonders from my TTC weary libido (previously non existant!)

I'd definitely recommend capsule, if only because the alternatives taste absolutely disgusting. However Iguana has previously posted interesting links about it & I think the powder is supposed to be that bit more effective.

My GP recommended I stopped taking it once I found out I was pregnant.That said I think that's just the precautionary standard whereby they tell you to take nothing bar folic acid when pregnant.
    Where it originally derives from (Peru) they appear to take it throughout their pregnancies without any ill effect.

To be on the safe side, you're probably as well taking it from day 1 of your cycle til you ovulate then abstain for the 2 week wait.

Here's a link to a site with more info about it......http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/maca.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Perfect thank you.
    Also just wondering where it can be brought from?
    Also do the men take it?

Nicky987 wrote: »
    Perfect thank you.
    Also just wondering where it can be brought from?
    Also do the men take it?

I got it in the health food shop, I would say lots of them stock it. My fella went on it and is still taking it. He went on it after I ovulated as I didnt get it in time, and then I happened to get lucky that month.

• Advertisement

As for me, I'm on day 15. Ovulation is taking it's sweet old time as usual. Also I'm not in the humour of doing the deed but OH says we MUSt do it tonight :rolleyes: think the Maca must be kicking in :p

Can totally sympathise with this. We did the sperm meets egg plan last cycle and by the time we got positive on the opk stick, we were both just fed up of sex. We only managed the first two consecutive days when we got the positive. Neither of us could muster the enthusiasm for a third day ;( if this cycle isn't successful I think I'll check out maca too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'd definitely recommend capsule, if only because the alternatives taste absolutely disgusting. However Iguana has previously posted interesting links about it & I think the powder is supposed to be that bit more effective.

I think the capsules can be just as effective for the benefits to sperm but from personal experience the powder was much more effective for my husband's libido. We bought 2 bags of the powder while we were on our month off and he started taking it in smoothies while I didn't as I didn't want it to influence my hormone tests. From 2 days after starting to drink the smoothies he was like a teenager in terms of libido.

In the mean time as the maca was disgusting I ordered a job lot of capsules on ebay as I didn't want to take it in smoothies. My husband, in a rare money saving move, said he'd stay on the powder until it was gone, though I had offered to throw it out. Once that was finished he switched to the capsules and his libido just wasn't the same (this was at the time of his tummy bug too, so I'm sure that, and the disappointment at missing my ovulation, was also having an effect). He decided to go back on the powder and within two days he was back to having the libido of a horny teenager.

What's supposed to be the very best for sperm is black maca. Apparently most maca on the market is 15% black, 15% red and 70% yellow. The red maca has no effect on sperm, the yellow a pretty good effect and the black a super effect. I've ordered a kilo of the black maca powder from the states to see if that has a different effect. In the mean time he'll have his sperm test tomorrow. The at home kit I used at the weekend turned bright pink which suggests he's well into the normal range in quantity and motility, though I was a bit disappointed by the volume which seemed a lot less than usual.

I got my period on Sunday afternoon, so I started with the fertility monitor on Monday morning. At the moment I just have to switch it on in the mornings. I think on Saturday it should start asking me to pee on a stick. At the moment I'm expecting to ovulate on the Monday after next which is a bit annoying as we'll be in London for the weekend and coming home early on Monday morning so we'll have to set a very early alarm, have sex, do a half hour with my legs in the air and then race for our train.:o

newbie! wrote: »
    Can totally sympathise with this. We did the sperm meets egg plan last cycle and by the time we got positive on the opk stick, we were both just fed up of sex. We only managed the first two consecutive days when we got the positive. Neither of us could muster the enthusiasm for a third day ;( if this cycle isn't successful I think I'll check out maca too.

We were like that too - the stress really affects your libido.

I had to bring out the big guns after I took my august trigger shot, the pre-ovulation shag was such hard work and it was nearly like we were dreading the second night. It felt more pressurised and stressed because we were paying about €350 per cycle for ovulation induction so that was ticking away at the back of my mind too. So the following day I went into an adult shop and got myself a sexy little outfit ;) and surprised him in time for our post ovulation shag. Both of us thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and nearly forgot there was a baby to be made :D. We have convinced ourselves it was the fun one not the boring one that baby was concieved :p

thanks guys i do have a habit of the open mouthed sleep at times im so glad my oh loves me even with that :o

i will try by the mouth for the first month see how that goes but i know id have an issue remembering monday to friday id be fine its the sat and sundays.
    thanks again for all your help and good luck to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

On day 34 now and still no sign of AF :mad:
    I doubt I'm preg as it would surely have come up positive on a clearblue on day 33!

I'm raging as I thought I'd gotten away with having regular periods after coming off pill seeing as my first cycle after coming off was 31 days. I'm dreading having really long unpredictable cycles!

Woke up with total headcold and achy body today. so glad it's post-ovulation because I just wouldnt feel up to doing the deed right now. Feel like crap. Must be the start of the cold/flu season.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

Got a sore throat myself and a very runny nose so hopefully it`s gone by the time I ovulate this weekend. It`s hard enough getting in the mood as it is...
    When I was pregnant I got a scan at 7 weeks but they had no film so rescheduled me for 2 weeks later when I`d have more details (heartbeat)to look at but micarried before that. So no scan picture available now so they`re sending me a refund. I thought they might have had something "on file" even if there was no film on the day, I was well pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Came off pill this month.. EEK nervous!!
    God knows when my period will show up but when it does we will start properly trying.
    Feel great after stopping pill,perfect skin, increased libido(Mine had gone altogethere with pill)
    exciting times

So I didn't have sex last night as I really wasn't arsed. OH nagged me about it but I was just too tired. Woke up this morn, took my OPK, and low and behold - positive. Cue very quick shower and then jumped back into bed to get him in the mood. Didn't take long at all! - Maca is working a treat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Hi Ladies,

Have been keeping an eye on this thread for a while now, you are so supportive of each other it's great. I had to set up a new username as friends know my other one and didn't want them knowing what me and the hubby are up to :P

Got married in July and we have decided to "go for it"!!! Am very nervous of the whole TTC area as I have PCOS but fingers crossed it won't be an issue.

I just wanted to say I had my first accupuncture session two weeks ago with my next one tomorrow and I found it so beneficial already! I can suffer with anxiety and stress gets to me very easily so I wanted to try it to preempt any TTC stress that might be coming my way ;) I can't really explain it but things didn't seem so worrying afterwards if that makes sense :) The lady was lovely and discussed temping etc so I feel like I have a bit of support there too!!

I have a question about the maca though. Bought some this week and myself and the hubby have been taking it, bought it in the powder form in Holland and Barrett, he gulps it back in a glass of water where I have to forcibly throw it down my throat through yoghurt :o On the packaging it says to take 1-2 tablespoons but online some stockists recommend starting off on a 1/4 teaspoon.....I wonder is my brand a lesser strength or something although I googled it and it's certified?? Also there's no indication of when during the month to take it???

Sorry for the long first post.....I am rambling. But nice to meet you all and best wishes :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement