Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Should be a refund if no AF appears & hpt is negative! Do u count from the 1st day of your last period or the last day of your last period?if from 1st day, I'm on day 43. Tempted to take another test this wknd but might have the willpower to hold out until the following wknd. Might!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

It's ridiculous isn't it!! The price of the fecking things kills me. I got loads of the cheapies online before but because I had 30 in the house I went mad and was testing every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

It's ridiculous isn't it!! The price of the fecking things kills me. I got loads of the cheapies online before but because I had 30 in the house I went mad and was testing every day!

Me too and I had to stop.
    I bought a shed load of OPKs and pregnancy tests. I drove myself nuts taking them, in the morning, in the evening of the same day I'd already gotten a negative in............I was being really silly and getting myself worked up about it all of the time.
    At the end of June when I still had no BFP I was heading off on holidays and decided to give up with the mental testing and leave my first pee of the day alone. :D
    I came home, we had done the deed at the right times and still no BFP. Decided on acupuncture with a guy I've attended many times in the past for various things and have felt great about it and more relaxed since I started with that.
    I've had two fertility acupuncture sessions and this month was the first in which there was a window of opportunity to conceive. We'll find out by the end of next week if it was successful or not. If not then its ok. I'll be disappointed of course but oddly enough I'm fairly relaxed about the whole thing now for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭carlyam2

oh penny how do you find the accupunture i had looked into it but never done it as the thoughts of being stabbed with lots of needles freaks me out im not a needle fan.
    oh i read into every symptom even if i know there is no chance of a BFP i think maybe ive had to stop as when i got a negative it devestated me.

carlyam2 wrote: »
    oh penny how do you find the accupunture i had looked into it but never done it as the thoughts of being stabbed with lots of needles freaks me out im not a needle fan.
    oh i read into every symptom even if i know there is no chance of a BFP i think maybe ive had to stop as when i got a negative it devestated me.

I love my acupuncture. I have had it in the past for chronic knee pain when nothing else was helping at all. A friend who'd injured her knee while skiing recommended this man to me and I never looked back. My knees are fabulous now thankfully.
    I also had it for relaxation/ stress management when doing my MSc and working full time and found it great.
    Injured my shoulder a while back and it just wouldn't heal properly so went back for more needles and its brilliant. While chatting away to the man I mentioned about trying for a baby and he suggested trying this if I wanted. I thought whats the harm and now I have it at around 5:30 on a Friday evening and its just the nicest most relaxing way to finish the week off.
    A needle is put into the ring finger on your left hand and two into the side of each thumb and two into the ring finger on your right hand. One in your forehead and one into each shin near the knee cap. You really and truly don't feel them going in and then they have to be wiggled a little just until a tingling sensation is felt and then thats it. Nice relaxing music, dimmed lights, lie back and just chill out.
    An hour late he comes back, needles are out and off you go. Its remarkable how high I am after each session, big endorphine release, its brilliant.
    The acupuncturist showed me the stats he keeps on the number of women who have attended for this treatment, age profile, etc (all anonymous of course) and the positive results rate is inspiring.
    I'm very happy with it this far and like the fact that I've taken positive steps towards getting pregnant without it costing an absolute fortune (€50 per session- recoupable on VHI/Laya/ whatever), is relaxing, doesn't involve additional hormones, etc.
    Naturally when I get pregnant I'll be super happy with it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    Should be a refund if no AF appears & hpt is negative! Do u count from the 1st day of your last period or the last day of your last period?if from 1st day, I'm on day 43. Tempted to take another test this wknd but might have the willpower to hold out until the following wknd. Might!
    You only came off the pill in July didn't you? My first six months off the pill my cycle was bonkers. I had a 45 day cycle actually. (it's from the first day of your period). It's a very frustrating time as you're waiting for your cycle to settle down into some sort of routine. Have you been introduced to the wonderful world of opks yet?!

Lucuma wrote: »
    You only came off the pill in July didn't you? My first six months off the pill my cycle was bonkers. I had a 45 day cycle actually. (it's from the first day of your period). It's a very frustrating time as you're waiting for your cycle to settle down into some sort of routine. Have you been introduced to the wonderful world of opks yet?!

Yes July, maybe i'll hold out a couple more weeks then rather than just waste a test. No haven't used opks yet, presume I'd only start using them after I get my AF, whenever that happens?!

ETA: got AF this morning but only v small amount & nothing since.is this to be expected on first real AF since the pill?after your 45 day cycle did you have similar experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Also love my acupuncture!!i go ever 2-3 weeks,it really is relaxing!!I have reflexology done at the same time too,its quite nice!!The needles don't hurt either you would forget hey are even there!Last few time she has been tryin to jump start my ovaries,literally!Needles in my abdomen and she connects a little box with minature jump lead things attached to the needles,it looks very funny1but i did feel movement in the the last time she did it so something was workin :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Roustabout

I also have acupuncture. My acupuncturist prefers to do it in the first 14 days of my cycle, as she said she doesn't want to interfere with nature in the second 14 days! Like another poster mentioned, she too has had numerous success stories, but she also admitted that there have been failures too. She's very focussed on the nutritional aspect and reckons proper nutrition compliments the acupuncture. My first session left me quite bruised (but not sore) at one of the needle sites. She put this down to weak blood vessels. I bruise very easily anyway so I wasn't surprised.
    I find it relaxing and for the first time in ages I had a lot of ewcm after acupuncture (sorry if tmi!) It's €50 a pop but when you start looking in to surgical procedures etc. it's a very cheap option (especially when you go to a private fertility clinic with no health insurance! :eek: )

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭carlyam2

right after them glowing reviews on accupuncture im going to look into who is near by me in work (dublin city centre)
    and home (portlaosie) and do a few if it does nothing more than relax me ill be happy.

• Advertisement

carlyam2 wrote: »
    right after them glowing reviews on accupuncture im going to look into who is near by me in work (dublin city centre)
    and home (portlaosie) and do a few if it does nothing more than relax me ill be happy.

A girl I used to work with until recently had acupuncture too. She is now due her baby in early October. She attended someone in the city centre, if you want I can try to get their name from her for you?

FFS:eek: I know I've been doing the positive thoughts business of late but bloody hell EVERYONE seems to be having a baby.
    Daithi O'Shea and his wife, Gwen Stefani is supposedly pregnant with her 3, Emily Blunt (who I love mostly because of the Devil Wears Prada- silly I know), Halle Berry, annoying Michelle Heaton, bloody Simon Cowell (who'd have ever thought:pac:), and on and on and on.
    I was at a Christening at the weekend too and surrounded by kids which was very hard.................and then came the "when are you two going to give us good news". Telling the inlaws that we both had good news, both had new jobs was funny. Serves them right.
    Silly I know but still gotta get your kicks where you can.
    Period due this week so a little on edge I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 broody_kitten

I'm only a few weeks off the pill now and i'm amazed at the difference in my mood, and libido! would seriously consider never going on it again, didn't realise how much it had suppressed me. My spark is back! Amazing how casually were expected to do this to our bodies.

I had a few twinges down below this morning so hopefully thats my ovarys waking up after so many years :)

Yes July, maybe i'll hold out a couple more weeks then rather than just waste a test. No haven't used opks yet, presume I'd only start using them after I get my AF, whenever that happens?!

ETA: got AF this morning but only v small amount & nothing since.is this to be expected on first real AF since the pill?after your 45 day cycle did you have similar experience?

Anyone any idea of usual first AF after coming off the pill? Did have normal "pill period" a few days after finishing the pack,then nothing for 43 days. Day 44 had small amount of dark red/brown AF, thought it was normal AF returning. But then only tiniest amount of brown spotting & nothing since. Did another hpt 3 days after that & still negative. Was that AF & should I consider this a new cycle or am I still on same cycle & now on day 48?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Anyone any idea of usual first AF after coming off the pill? Did have normal "pill period" a few days after finishing the pack,then nothing for 43 days. Day 44 had small amount of dark red/brown AF, thought it was normal AF returning. But then only tiniest amount of brown spotting & nothing since. Did another hpt 3 days after that & still negative. Was that AF & should I consider this a new cycle or am I still on same cycle & now on day 48?

I wouldn't class that as a period, but everyone is different....

I came off the pill and my cycle returned to normal immediately. I have a cycle you can set your watch by, yet we've been trying 3 years.

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I wouldn't class that as a period, but everyone is different....

I came off the pill and my cycle returned to normal immediately. I have a cycle you can set your watch by, yet we've been trying 3 years.

8 months for us and my cycle was really normal very quickly. I'd been on the pill (Lognyon/Yasmin/Dianette) for 15 years or so.
    My period, while regular, is only 2 days long and is quite light. My acupuncturist thinks that not enough oxygen is in the blood and not enough blood is making its way to my uterus. The treatment he is giving me (have only had 3 sessions so far) is to increase both of these and also to clear away any hint of PCOs there might be, fibroids, etc.
    I've never had any issue with the latter but its a holistic approach and feels really lovely too so I'm not going to say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

I'm only a few weeks off the pill now and i'm amazed at the difference in my mood, and libido! would seriously consider never going on it again, didn't realise how much it had suppressed me. My spark is back! Amazing how casually were expected to do this to our bodies.

I had a few twinges down below this morning so hopefully thats my ovarys waking up after so many years :)

Isn't it just mad the difference ot makes to your mood coming off contraception!!I can honestly say i will never use a hormone based contraceptive ever agin(if i ever manage to get pregnant that is)

I'm always sayin to y husband i must have been a complete nightmare to live with whilst i was usin contraception!!Cleverly he never answers :D

So it seems like today is one of those days.
    Got my period this morning which didn't really come as a surprise. It is tougher in some ways this time though because I spent the weekend with my sister in law and her two little girls (2 years old and 3 months). It puts such a longing on you, particularly because the 3 month old is a really chilled out little girl and the 2 year old seems to think I'm the bomb.
    Trying to take the positives out of all of this though is that I have regular periods since coming off the pill which is great.
    I've taking positive steps towards assistance with conception by starting acupuncture and I've had 3 sessions of that. This is my first period since starting so (and this sounds very odd) hopefully this will be a longer heavier one that normal so I'll be able to see that the needles used to improve the blood flow and oxygen levels are helping.
    Also I've had a massive cup of tea and Malteasers bar of chocolate and that was just yum!:o

Mastiff I feel your confusion, I really do. The first 6 months after coming off the pill were such a difficult time looking back. the truth is no-one can answer your question above. you don't really have a cycle that can be compared to the text book ones yet. you won't have one for a while maybe, so you just have to be patient and take it as it comes. One thing you can do is buy a big box of cheapie opks on inhealth.ie and then start using one every single morning. That was how I realised that I didn't ovulate for the first 6 months (I'm sure that won't happen to you though!) if you see any kind of a second line on the opk at all, that's a really positive sign.

My period, while regular, is only 2 days long and is quite light. My acupuncturist thinks that not enough oxygen is in the blood and not enough blood is making its way to my uterus. QUOTE]

My acupuncturist said something similar to me: that a ''healthy'' period is one that lasts at least 5 days, with good strong flow for the first few days, and bright red blood throughout.

During my first 6 months off the pill while my cycle was sorting itself out, I had a lot of brown blood and clots, but now I have bright red blood for 5-7 days and flow isn't a problem unfortunately! ;o)

Funny how we're all different....but we have one thing in common - no babas as of yet! Here's wishing us all luck for the next cycle girls :-)

• Advertisement

Lucuma wrote: »
    My period, while regular, is only 2 days long and is quite light. My acupuncturist thinks that not enough oxygen is in the blood and not enough blood is making its way to my uterus. QUOTE]

My acupuncturist said something similar to me: that a ''healthy'' period is one that lasts at least 5 days, with good strong flow for the first few days, and bright red blood throughout.

During my first 6 months off the pill while my cycle was sorting itself out, I had a lot of brown blood and clots, but now I have bright red blood for 5-7 days and flow isn't a problem unfortunately! ;o)

Funny how we're all different....but we have one thing in common - no babas as of yet! Here's wishing us all luck for the next cycle girls :-)

Mine this month was still short enough (3ish days instead of 2 so longer already) and the blood was redder so its an improvement.
    I'm quite broody this week. I blame it on where I spent the weekend (Christening, a 2 year old and an almost 3 month old). Last night I went to visit my parents and was playing with their new kittens and thought about bringing one of them home with me so I'd have something to play with:eek::o
    Didn't, the kittens have it made in my parents house, so spoiled with cuddles and a lovely garden to play with and sardines if they're having a tough day:rolleyes: They'd hate to live with me after their 5 star life there.

I'm all set to have 3 cycles of acupuncture (i.e. over 3 months) for some reason and I'm going to get quite a land if I'm not delighted with a BFP after that. I don't know why I decide some of these things in my head. I think its coming up to a year since I came off the pill and I was so sure that it would just happen straight away for us. :o
    The papers have been reporting on two very sad stories this week about two little boys who were treated horrifically by their mothers (and step parents) and died and I was so upset after reading them. I would be anyway, you'd have to be made of stone not to be moved but you just think about yourself and all the rest of us here who'd so love to have a baby and these people were so careless with their children.
    Anyhow, just gotta keep on going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Read those reports, they weer heart breaking, how anyone could mistreat another person, let alone a young child.

Can anyone recommend an acupuncturist in Dublin (North)?

I just got a positive OPK, so i'll be busy tonight - Lol!!! Day 12, looks like the chlomid worked this month, also loads of EWCM (TMI, sorry :o)

stickybean wrote: »
    Read those reports, they weer heart breaking, how anyone could mistreat another person, let alone a young child.

Can anyone recommend an acupuncturist in Dublin (North)?

I just got a positive OPK, so i'll be busy tonight - Lol!!! Day 12, looks like the chlomid worked this month, also loads of EWCM (TMI, sorry :o)

I go to the Oriental Medicine Clinic in Lucan and am very happy with it.

http://www.orientalmedicine.ie/abouttheclinic.htm

I am TERRIFIED on needles, so honestly, how bad it is? Trying to work out if I would be able for it

I am TERRIFIED on needles, so honestly, how bad it is? Trying to work out if I would be able for it

Its fine, honestly. It so very different to having an injection or blood drawn. The needle hardly goes into the skin at all and as there is no blood draw you don't have anything other than the needle there, no huge big plastic tubing or anything like that.
    The needles are inserted and you don't feel them. Then they are swiveled a little, really just a little to tingle the chakras or energy lines or whatever it is they're meant to awaken. Then once thats happened (takes a second or two) thats it. You lie back and enjoy the music and relax. I usually have a little nap.:o
    I find I'm buzzing after the treatment.
    The guy I go to is really really lovely and if you decide to try his clinic just explain how you are about needles and he'll take it from there. I find that if I know what someone is doing and why they're doing it I'm much happier with the situation, even if its one that I don't necessarily like.

I'm in the same boat Stickeybean, first faint line on the opk this morning. Day 8. Hubby doesn't know it yet but tonight's his lucky night :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 broody_kitten

Almighty ovulation pains and plenty of CM today... lucky night for OH is right!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭zoviea

Hi my husband and I are TTC for 4 years now even though we conceived quickly and naturally with our other children it is just not happening this time:( We had all the tests done and thank God I am fine but poor husband has seman antibodies which is the reason we are not conceiving and we were told IVF was our only option. We are not willing to give up and are trying fertilaid for men. After just i month on it seman antibodies went down 1%..I know not a lot but still something;) Id love to hear from people with seman antibodies as I dont know of any stories about people with this problem...You advice would be great or if anyone tried fertilaid?

Looks like its a BUSY weekend all around :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

I'm officially in the 2ww (two week wait). This is the part I hate, the what if's the will I have a drink of not, just to be on the safe side. The first 14 days fly by, but the last 14 drag.

I got 2 full days of OPK's this month, from day 12. So we managed to get loads of the good stuff in :p

For the first time I notice my CM almost completely stopped after ovulation. Not sure whether I was being overly sensitive this month, but I could feel pains on Saturday for about 2 hours all down my left side. They were sharp crammpy pains in short bursts. Then I felt fine. Did the deed once more for good luck :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement