Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T4 Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

A possible explanation for his outburst.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39984
    Why AICN Doesn't Post Links To Stories Like This Christian Bale thing that's everywhere!

Hey folks, Harry here... I'm getting slammed with assloads of people angry at me for not posting the Bale explosion from the set of McG's TERMINATOR: SALVATION. Well, first off - there's a real simple reason. It isn't news. And it certainly isn't cool news. It is a moment in a man's life taken completely out of context and most likely leaked to personally embarrass Christian Bale.

Now, I know what a lot of you are thinking... There's no excuse for a temper tantrum like that to ever occur and if you are going to act that way, you deserve to be embarrassed by your own actions.

Except, you want to hear the REALITY behind that clip?

I know this because I happen to be somewhere where someone that was there that day and for the shoot is. And this person isn't a publicist, nor are they invested in Bale's career. They're just someone that thinks it is absolute bull**** that this moment in Bale's life is being aired and that the real story should get out there.

The DP on TERMINATOR SALVATION, Shane Hurlbut, is a apparently a light tweaker. He's a fairly young DP and likes to fiddle with his lights on set during action, which is a big "NO NO" on most productions unless worked out in advance with performers. But apparently Shane was a pretty unrepentant light tweaker.

The scene in question, was a very emotional and tough scene between Christian Bale and Bryce Howard. A scene that required soul bearing and a deep level of immersive concentration. The sort of scene where everyone on set knows not to get in anyone's eye lines, and definitely not to move lights around while FILMING. You lock that **** down before the scene starts.

Bale had indeed warned the DP on multiple occasions about messing with lights while the cameras were rolling, and Bale was in the midst of a painful scene with Bryce, what was described to me as being the emotional center of the film and his character for the film.

Now, the reason I know all of this is because the person that was there, felt that it should be made perfectly clear that Christian Bale was the utmost gentleman and cool guy on set. And the DP really was doing something that professional DPs with experience just don't do. Not during a performance.

You don't need me to give you a link, it's all over the internet, I just felt that you should know what really went down - and that this particular outburst did indeed modify the DP's behavior - and for future DPs. **** with the lights before and after your actors are acting. Not during.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Am I only one reading most of these stories/threads/bitchfests and feel that the role of DP has been shrunk to the equivilent of a PA???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And so the viral marketing begins.

I have some land to sell you if you believed that clip.
    I can only sell it to you when the tide is out though.

McG or whoever is pulling the strings managed to pump this thread up and get a totally new one started in after hours, where it would normally be just moved to films.

Fan boy to fan boy: "Have you heard about Bale going crazy on the set of the new terminator movie. Man I'm so stoked, he must be really into character, I can't wait to see this movie"

Seriously, for all its good sometimes I hate the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Am I only one reading most of these stories/threads/bitchfests and feel that the role of DP has been shrunk to the equivilent of a PA???

yes

And so the viral marketing begins.

I have some land to sell you if you believed that clip.
    I can only sell it to you when the tide is out though.

McG or whoever is pulling the strings managed to pump this thread up and get a totally new one started in after hours, where it would normally be just moved to films.

Fan boy to fan boy: "Have you heard about Bale going crazy on the set of the new terminator movie. Man I'm so stoked, he must be really into character, I can't wait to see this movie"

Seriously, for all its good sometimes I hate the internet

Yeah McG really thought this marketing through, fanboys are flaming across forums because they all think i am too much of an incompetent director to handle this franchise so lets release an audio clip that somehow shows my actor running wild on set and me not being able to control him that will get the fanboys stoked about where i am taking the franchise.

Yeah... this is fantastic viral marketing, anyone who knows nothing about the franchise or filmmaking in general just had their goodwill to the film *because Bale was awesome as Batman* burnt up a bit by the Bale's a dick routine. The fanboys get their much ranted complaint that McG cant handle the franchise proven [see this very thread] Filmmakers and serious filmgoers are more annoyed at how the role of DP is now the same as some poor boy eating out of supermacs and pretty much anyone who listens to the clip itself doesnt have any interest to go *whats that I want to know more?*

The only good bit of marketing out of these is the cover story from Harry knowles above with all the talk that it was major *emotional* scene

Also another kicker to your its viral marketing campaign idea, this happened back in July, its been reported since july, only the audio got leaked out now.

which could be viral marketing except if you look through the thread, everything is leaking out of this film. Hell even the film itself has leaked out.

yes

hmm from the other thread on the same topic
    Kernal wrote:
    Bale is getting paid millions of dollars to do the movie, after that scene he retires to his giant trailer to be fed grapes by his model assistant, quaffing champagne and blue m&ms. Another assistant gives him a footrub while a naked midget gives him head.

At the end of the days work (around 2pm), he drives his Aston Martin Vanquish back to his multimillion dollar house in the hollywood hills, before throwing on some free Versace gear for a night on the town quaffing more free champagne in the company of the most beautiful women in the world.

The guy he shouted at eats Supermacs value meals most days and lives with his mother.

Yes, Bale was a dick to act that way to a co-worker/subordinate.

yeah this story really does paint a good picture of the role a DP actually has on set

• Advertisement

Yeah McG really thought this marketing through, fanboys are flaming across forums because they all think i am too much of an incompetent director to handle this franchise so lets release an audio clip that somehow shows my actor running wild on set and me not being able to control him that will get the fanboys stoked about where i am taking the franchise.

You should know then that fanboys were flaming McG across forums as soon as word hit that he was involved in the project.
    But now along with Bales other previous "rage" incidents, we have a firebrand of a man grabbing the reins and spearheading the movie.
    And secretly, deep down, a lot of Bale fans are thinking "Whoo go Bale, you the man"

There is no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary.
    Brendan Behan

You should know then that fanboys were flaming McG across forums as soon as word hit that he was involved in the project.

just take a look at this thread :D I'm pretty sure I am one of them.

But Bale freaking out at a DP sounds more like a man under pressure then a man taking control of the films direction. It screams difficult shoot which cannot mean good things for the end product.

And as I was saying on another thread, if the DP is doing something repeatable that p*ssess the actor off and the director does nothing, and that same DP has worked with the director before, then its not really the DP the actor is p*ssed at, its how the director is running the project.

And as I was saying on another thread, if the DP is doing something repeatable that p*ssess the actor off and the director does nothing, and that same DP has worked with the director before, then its not really the DP the actor is p*ssed at, its how the director is running the project.

I reckon I know less about the innards of a shoot than you BlitzKrieg, so I accept that.
    But there is a stink of bull**** off that audio clip that just will not leave my nostrils. time will tell I suppose.
    Now time for bed as I reckon I have added enough to todays Hollywood hot topic. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wow, Bale should have ran for US President!

I wonder just what Harry Knowles was promised to write that story? First class flights to the premier, a goody bag and a hooker willing to go down on him? The man is a whore who will do anythign to placate a studio willing to treat him like royalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I wonder just what Harry Knowles was promised to write that story? First class flights to the premier, a goody bag and a hooker willing to go down on him? The man is a whore who will do anythign to placate a studio willing to treat him like royalty.

To right man he loves all the special treatment seen it as far back as Armageddon where he nearly came in his pants when they flew him down to see the premier, he sold out big time, so haven't really taken him seriously since then.

As for Bale I suppose if you come off working with a top director like Chris Nolan who has a great film making team working with him and then go work on a McG production which there seems to be no control from the director then thats going to mess with your head and make you think why the hell did I get involved with this mess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Who's this McG fella, I looked him up on imdb and it says the only film he's done is Charlies Angels, Wat ? how did he get the job lol, I was looking forward to this but I'm not going to see it now, might get it on DVD if it isn't too bad, will have to read back through this thread

As for Bale I suppose if you come off working with a top director like Chris Nolan who has a great film making team working with him and then go work on a McG production which there seems to be no control from the director then thats going to mess with your head and make you think why the hell did I get involved with this mess!
    MooseJam wrote: »
    Who's this McG fella, I looked him up on imdb and it says the only film he's done is Charlies Angels, Wat ? how did he get the job lol, I was looking forward to this but I'm not going to see it now, might get it on DVD if it isn't too bad, will have to read back through this thread

I seem to be defending McG every where these days. While yes, the Charlie's Angels films were atrocious it's unfair to blame McG for that, the terrible scripts are the main culprits in both cases. Much like Schumacer and the Batman films, the vast majority of the blame lies in the writing.

Since the Charlie's Angels films McG ahs directed the excellent We Are Marshall and the very entertaining pilot episode fo Chuck. Like all directors all he needs is a chance to show what he can do. Did anyone think that Cameron would become one of the greatest directors of all time when he made Piranha 2?

So come on people lets cut the man some slack and wait till we see the film before we writeMcG off entirely.

Like all directors all he needs is a chance to show what he can do.

personnally I dont think any director should be given his chance to show what he can do by being given the reigns of a franchise. Not thats it unfair to the fans, its unfair to the director as he is given little or no freedom for his own abilities.

Maybe We Are Marshell was mcg's chance to show what he can do, I havnt seen it personnally so I cant comment, but if it is really good like you say then maybe there is hope. And I might go have a look for it tomorrow to see.

personnally though I felt there was alot more wrong with charlies angels then simply the script :D

personnally I dont think any director should be given his chance to show what he can do by being given the reigns of a franchise. Not thats it unfair to the fans, its unfair to the director as he is given little or no freedom for his own abilities.

Maybe We Are Marshell was mcg's chance to show what he can do, I havnt seen it personnally so I cant comment, but if it is really good like you say then maybe there is hope. And I might go have a look for it tomorrow to see.

personnally though I felt there was alot more wrong with charlies angels then simply the script :D

For me McG showed that he was a highly capeable and competent director who could tell a story without relying on snazzy visuals and elaborate set pieces with We Are Marshall. The T4 job is an odd choice for him, I would have prefered him to tackle one or two smaller picures before once again turning his attention to summer blockbusters but I do believe that he can pull it off, that is if certain members of his cast act in a professional manner.

When Mostow was given T3 people instantly began sharpening their knives but he managed to make a film which while never reaching the heights set by Cameron remained a lot of fun and perfect summer fodder. (off topic I know but if anyone has not seen Mostow's film Breakdown starring Kurt Russell then they are doing themselves a disservice. It's one of the great films of the 90s and well worth watching.)

thats where i'll disagree with you. Mostow was an awful director (I'm surprised T3 only turned out to be corny stupid fun with him at the helm) Breakdown was a film that was working for the first 30-40 minutes and then fell apart and U571 is an absolute mess of a film that I think never worked at any point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I seem to be defending McG every where these days. While yes, the Charlie's Angels films were atrocious it's unfair to blame McG for that, the terrible scripts are the main culprits in both cases. Much like Schumacer and the Batman films, the vast majority of the blame lies in the writing.

Well not really; in both those examples, the buck stops with the Director. It's not like a director is an unwitting passenger in these projects. In the case of Batman, the direction of turning the franchise into a camp, Neon nightmare can be squarely directed at Schumacher.

thats where i'll disagree with you. Mostow was an awful director (I'm surprised T3 only turned out to be corny stupid fun with him at the helm) Breakdown was a film that was working for the first 30-40 minutes and then fell apart and U571 is an absolute mess of a film that I think never worked at any point.

I'll give you U571 but I still thing Breakdown is a fantastic film. I rewatched it a few months back and enjoyed as much as I did when I first saw it. His new films looks good, kinda reminds me Wall-E, well apart fram the absence of adorable robots.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Well not really; in both those examples, the buck stops with the Director. It's not like a director is an unwitting passenger in these projects. In the case of Batman, the direction of turning the franchise into a camp, Neon nightmare can be squarely directed at Schumacher.

For Batman and Robin Schumacher had to bend to the whims of fast food companies and a studio who wanted a kids film. Batman Forever is quite a good film with possibly the best Batman ever but the one that came after it was a complete and utter disgrace. The Charlie's Angels films are trashy fun, no one is going to confuse them with high entertainment but watched with a few beers and fast food and it's strangely entertaining in a brain dead manner. But in both cases the director had to use a script that was for all intents and purposes woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Looking forward to T4..
    Ever since T2 I wanted the story to continue on where the war happens regardless of what Connor does to prevent it. Dump Arnie..just have the basic robots etc for the T4 and bring in the more advanced ones then for T5+T6.
    For T6 I'd envision that it takes place after T2 time line ( as in when Arnie is sent back) and more advanced robots and made an epic battle out of it..much like Lord Of the Rings battles but with robots v humans.

As a result I was pleased with the storyline in T3 and thought it was well done..I know Connor came across as a bit of a drip but as he thought,it was all over, his mother was dead, just keep the head down and not bring attention to himself..remember he was still on the wanted list for the T2 battles.

Amazing how these thoughts turn out..for Star Trek after DS9 I wanted it to go back to before Kirk to when humans first started out in space..was delighted it happened but they kinda screwed it up.
    My next call is for a remake of Star Wars...way darker, more killings and no stupid cuddly robots or aliens..if they are then they should all die agonizing deaths within mins of seeing them. And don't let Lucas near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

turns out that the guy bale was shouting at was actually peter griffin:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

haha quality, im guessing its from the new series, bale is one crazy man, but i do like him and think this film looks quite good

Viral wheel keep on turning
    Proud mary keep on burning
    And were rolling, rolling
    Rolling on the river .... (of knock on marketing)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No point making a new thread for this, but there is a brand-new trailer out for T4. Warning btw, it could be considered VERY, VERY spoilery (seriously, I mean the one big plot twist you'd think they would keep silent is broken so you have been warned):

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/terminator-salvation.html?showVideo=1

I dunno, I'm still not impressed & the more I see of the motorbike / giant Terminators, the more I think they're lame Transformer rip-offs & wished they weren't there. There's too much grey, too many explosions (even the Skynet farms have little Bladerunner flame-puffs), and I'm beginning to wonder if this won't be 90 minutes of continuous set-pieces.

Yeah yeah, it's a trailer so the usual caveats apply, but still ... can't help but feel that & that it's going to be more vapid than T3...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I think it looks very damn cool, looking well forward to May now.

yeah the giant harvester bot (which I didnt like in the first place) looked even worse in that trailer. Not sure about the bikes, they're slick, yes. but they have that *shiny* ott feel to them.

But I did like the sort of nod to the prior films with the terminators being the bikes and the big f*ck off truck being the humans, a nice role reversal from the 2nd film.

Well the plot twist they showed in that trailer isnt a huge surprise, thats been pretty much the rumour mill since the character was named. I got worried that they were gonna confirm the denied but still rumoured *dark* ending in the trailer, which would have been a really bad idea.

Happy that the hunter killers are still around.

edit: JESUS YAHOO VIDEO SUCKS!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I am personally a huge fan of the Terminator Franchise and have watched it all. T1,2,3. The Sarah Connors chronicles. Everything.

And the thing I love about it, is the ability for the story to change no matter what. nothing is set in stone except that Judgement day will happen. It's all a matter of when.

This film I can't wait for, but I can't see it being as good as Anything else in the whole franchise. They have Helicopters FFS, Skynet took over basically everything electronic. There shouldn't be helicopters!!!!

I still maintain it would have been better if T4 meshed with The Sarah Connors Chronicles more, even though I know it is an alternate timeline that Skynet adapted for.

Well the plot twist they showed in that trailer isnt a huge surprise, thats been pretty much the rumour mill since the character was named. I got worried that they were gonna confirm the denied but still rumoured *dark* ending in the trailer, which would have been a really bad idea.

It was rumoured yes, but to be honest, I didn't think it needed to be put into the main public trailer. It's like studios have just given up trying to keep stuff bottled.

Oh and something that bothered me about that trailer but couldn't initially put my finger on it; A10 Warthogs! I mean wtf? Skynet have the world in their control with super-tech & apparently humans are brazenly using aircraft. Uhhhh, hummity I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Marcus seems like a failed attempt at the perfect infiltrator by Skynet. He acts human. He looks human. He truly believes he's human until John shows him otherwise. As to what's wrong with Marcus that Skynet had to discard of him I don't know.

It looks good (no sign of lame dialogue which is my main concern).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Looks interesting. All it's missing is some Decepticons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I havent watched the new trailer in full yet but Im getting a AvP Requiem vibe off it. A kind of terminator lite flavour. Its the same terminators etc but it doesnt feel like its in the same series or class for that matter.

watch the original terminator film, look at how grim and gritty the movie is. It doesnt tie up with McG's effort, just judging by the trailer of course.

Advertisement