Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T4 Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Sure the DoP made a mistake and it cost the production money

depends if he made a mistake.

Bale cant see the lighting scheme, the DP can, if the lighting scheme got bolloxed before that take and its knocked out of sync with the other takes then its the DP in the right to have it repaired as that take is pretty much useless and the sooner its fixed the sooner they can shoot again.

You cant tell alot from the audio, from what I can put together the DP didnt walk into the shot itself or anything similar, he just moved around to where one of the lights were located and it distracted Bale, while I can fully understand Bale getting distracted and being peeved about it, he wasnt in the right to throw a ****storm, he is even less in the right if the DP was fixing an error and that take was useless anyway.

THe question would be should the director have called cut to fix the error? Did the DP even tell the director before deciding to fix it?

The scenario I can put together (from how everyone interacted) is that the DP was in the right to fix the error, the director knew of the error and let Bale play out his scene all the same (it can be better for actors, even if the scene is a sudden bust to let them run it out), judging how most people focused on calming Bale down it sounds like they knew the scene was a bust before he flipped, if the DP had gone and done something unnecesary he would have been asked to step out to let Bale calm down, but seeing he was doing essential work its clear the rest of the crew came to a rather timid defence of him.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    depends if he made a mistake.

Bale cant see the lighting scheme, the DP can, if the lighting scheme got bolloxed before that take and its knocked out of sync with the other takes then its the DP in the right to have it repaired as that take is pretty much useless and the sooner its fixed the sooner they can shoot again.

You cant tell alot from the audio, from what I can put together the DP didnt walk into the shot itself or anything similar, he just moved around to where one of the lights were located and it distracted Bale, while I can fully understand Bale getting distracted and being peeved about it, he wasnt in the right to throw a ****storm, he is even less in the right if the DP was fixing an error and that take was useless anyway.

THe question would be should the director have called cut to fix the error? Did the DP even tell the director before deciding to fix it?

The scenario I can put together (from how everyone interacted) is that the DP was in the right to fix the error, the director knew of the error and let Bale play out his scene all the same (it can be better for actors, even if the scene is a sudden bust to let them run it out), judging how most people focused on calming Bale down it sounds like they knew the scene was a bust before he flipped, if the DP had gone and done something unnecesary he would have been asked to step out to let Bale calm down, but seeing he was doing essential work its clear the rest of the crew came to a rather timid defence of him.

I should have phrased that better, I was'nt blaming the DP for inciting Bale, just that if he had infact ruined a take then some of Bale's anger may be justified. That said there's still no excuse for his reaction.

Listening to it again, I get the impression that it's not Bale's first out burst on set. McG's lack of involvement in the arguement and his reactions seem to be those of a man whose seen it all before and realises that it's best to just let Bale go at it.

I worked on a set which I can't name where there was a particulary nasty Assistant Director who would relish screaming at everyone below him and on one ocassion threw a cup of coffee in my face. The director happened to see the coffee incident and calmly walked over and sacked the assistant. From what I've been told he has yet to work again in any serious production.

The sheer number of stories involving actors or crew members acting like complete assholes is amazing, I've even on ocassion seen it on student films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

go bale, love it

completely off topic...

Darko why did your sig disapear for your post #180 yet its present in all the other ones...thats just weird.

But yeah there are always strained emotions on productions, assistant directors tend to be the source or the victim of the most of it (but it is a really sh*tty job to be honest), think i've been lucky so far with the crews I have dealt with (only 1 producer who was fine most of the time but tends to be a complete d*ck in other situations)

If it wasnt Bales first outburst then its even less the chance of DP putting his foot wrong to be the cause of the outburst.

The disappearing sig is odd, more than likely just a glitch in the Matrix.

It's always nice to work on a set where people get along but that's rarely the case. I remember reading all the horror stories involving Val Kilmer and his abuse of crew members. There's the famous John Frankenheimer quote about how he will never climb Mount Everst and never again work with Kilmer as there is'nt enough money in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha, yikes, Bale goes off on one. Well I suppose that's what happens when you're a method actor who plays one too many glowering moody types, it all just comes out one day.

I recommend as a cure a few screwball romantic comedies for the next 2 years, perhaps involving Vince Vaughan. Or how about Accidental Husband 2: Even More Accidental? A perfect antidote to a furrowed brow! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Great actor, but he's ****ing nuts. Where's the authority McG? Sounds like McG was too scared to open his mouth, which is not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Actors are known to go effing nuts from time to time. Especially the ones who take their roles as seriously as Bale. That's no excuse though. For someone ranting about professionalism, he showed a great lack of it there himself. However, McG completely pussied out. He is the director, he should have taken control. But he hopped on the fence and cashed in his spine. Awesome clip though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Even more proof of how much of a prick Christian Bale is.

I like his films, but he's always come across as a dick head in interviews and that whole thing where he was arrested for verbally assaulting his Mother and Sister, well this gives you an idea of why they called the cops, sounds like they were holding him back from throwing a punch in that audio.

His films are great and all, but I think he'll lose a lot of respect over this. He should make a public apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

robby^5 wrote: »
    Even more proof of how much of a prick Christian Bale is.

I like his films, but he's always come across as a dick head in interviews and that whole thing where he was arrested for verbally assaulting his Mother and Sister, well this gives you an idea of why they called the cops, sounds like they were holding him back from throwing a punch in that audio.

His films are great and all, but I think he'll lose a lot of respect over this. He should make a public apology.

Eh,wasn't it the fact his mother and sister hate his wife. I don't see what that incident has to do with a film that hasn't been released yet. But thats just me,i don't get wound up,and barely care,what celebrities do off screen or out of the studio.

• Advertisement

I'm not too overly concerned about the behaviour of an actor once they produce the goods on screen. I mean if actors blowing their top lost them respect I think Russell Crowe would be in the gutter right now.:pac:

What I'm concerned about is McG. From everything that has been reported on in regards to this film I get the feeling that

a) McG is desperate to please the fans even to the extent of claiming James Cameron gave him and the film his blessing (Cameron said he did no such thing, but in truth, Cameron himself is a prick apparently). And

b) It sounded like he made the earth move to get Bale on board, even to the extent of drafting in Jonah Nolan to do a complete rewrite.

Taking both of these factors into account, it sounds as if in McG's desperation to please the fans by saying the right things and getting Bale on board (and content) that he has lost control of the ship. I think we might get a mess on screen consisting of McG's vision heavily influenced by Bale. Bale is a great actor, but he's not a director.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Dam method actors, so emotional!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I'm not too overly concerned about the behaviour of an actor once they produce the goods on screen. I mean if actors blowing their top lost them respect I think Russell Crowe would be in the gutter right now.:pac:

What I'm concerned about is McG. From everything that has been reported on in regards to this film I get the feeling that

a) McG is desperate to please the fans even to the extent of claiming James Cameron gave him and the film his blessing (Cameron said he did no such thing, but in truth, Cameron himself is a prick apparently). And

b) It sounded like he made the earth move to get Bale on board, even to the extent of drafting in Jonah Nolan to do a complete rewrite.

Taking both of these factors into account, it sounds as if in McG's desperation to please the fans by saying the right things and getting Bale on board (and content) that he has lost control of the ship. I think we might get a mess on screen consisting of McG's vision heavily influenced by Bale. Bale is a great actor, but he's not a director.

I've little faith in McG, but lets stick to what he actually said:

Calming James Cameron's Skepticism: "I didn't want to feel like the guy who gave birth to the Terminator is against what we're doing, so I go to see James Cameron to kiss the ring and tell him what I was trying to do," McG said. "He's cordial but says, 'I'm not going to endorse your movie. I reserve the right to hate it. But I wish you well, and if you're going to make a Terminator I'd prefer you make a good one to a bad one.'"

Everyone came of badly in that exchange. McG seems to have zero control over his set.

LOL I just listened to it again. "Walking past Bryce". I'd say she was horrified and probably even a little scared. "No lets not take a minute lets GO AGAIN!!". I'd say she was really ready to be "in the scene" as he puts it after that rant. What a dickhead, seriously.

I've little faith in McG, but lets stick to what he actually said:

Calming James Cameron's Skepticism: "I didn't want to feel like the guy who gave birth to the Terminator is against what we're doing, so I go to see James Cameron to kiss the ring and tell him what I was trying to do," McG said. "He's cordial but says, 'I'm not going to endorse your movie. I reserve the right to hate it. But I wish you well, and if you're going to make a Terminator I'd prefer you make a good one to a bad one.'"

Everyone came of badly in that exchange. McG seems to have zero control over his set.

That was his revised answer after JC said he didn't give a blessing to the film.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

im actually looking forward to this as the idea of 3 films chronicling johns war againsts skynet brings a nice sense of completion to the franchise.

i hope they stick in things like the first terminators with the rubber skin that stood out a mile. be a nice nod to the first film :)

so is this a prequel or a sequel?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

Audio clip of Bale freaking out at lighting guy on T4 set. Warning, Contains a lot of "colourful" language:

Sound clip

Sorry, just realised its already mentioned earlier.

(Cameron said he did no such thing, but in truth, Cameron himself is a prick apparently)

well directors being dicks is nothing new, its usually something expected from good directors.

well directors being dicks is nothing new, its usually something expected from good directors.

True dat. Some of the biggeest dicks I have ever met have also been the best directors. I've also found that off set they can be far nicer but when you're a director on set you're responsiable for millions of dollars and hundreds of peoples jobs so being nice and accomadating everyone won't work.

If a director is too nice people will take advantage and generally walk all over them. I've had it happen to me, on a project last November my cameraman was being a complete ass, showing up hours late, not taking the shots I asked for and then talking about me behind my back. In the end I just told him to take a walk and ended up shooting the entire piece myself. The same guy was put with me a second time and spent the entire time sitting in his car outside calling me an "complete di*k" amongst other things. In fact I'm faitly sure I offended someone as I was then put on his project which completely fell apart and he then blamed me for it all only to be told by our head that my camera work was the only thing good about it. Thought I'd never have to work with him again but oh no, I've he's been assigned to my group again. :(

sucks to be you.

Are you doing a course?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

That clip is priceless. "McG you got something to say to this prick..." McG's reply "Fair enough".

Bale should be ashamed of himself, there's no need to treat anyone on a film set in that manner. Sure the DoP made a mistake and it cost the production money but there's no need for Bale to flip out so easily and in such a nasty manner. Someone of authority should have stepped in at some point and ended it a lot sooner.

I do like Bale and having met him twice can testify that he's a really nice guy but after hearing that clip I've lost a lot of respect for him.

You know, listening to that I actually felt a bit angry on behalf of the DP.
    Christ, at one stage I wanted to smack Bale on his behalf!! When Bale came very close to threatening him, physically

I always wonder what size the guys how get this abuse are? I always get the feeling that they are way smaller than the actor in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

How did Russell Crowe and Bale ever manage to co-exist and survive on the same set (3:10 to Yuma)? :pac:

He could have just been going through a bad patch. The incident with his mother and sister in London happened just a few days after this. These are the only two blow ups I've heard about. Not saying there haven't been more just pointing out that the two incidents occurred near the same time.

sucks to be you.

Are you doing a course?

I'm doing film and tv in gmit. Have to say that I'm enjoying it, well apart from the constant abuse that some people seem to enjoy piling on while were shooting pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

mmmm maybe Bale realised on set that he made a major career mistake signing up for this, listen to him freak out on the DP for walking while filming and putting him off bit ott
    http://perezhilton.com/2009-02-02-bales-verbal-barrage-christian-will-eff-a-bitch-up

'Roid rage imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

:D Very cool re-mix of the clip :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Anytime I'm really stressed and angry I can listen to that. It'll help take me down a few notches and give me some release. ;)

Don't know why they had to include Babs towards the end though. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I remember watching a documentary on the making of "Empire of the Sun", and even as a 10 year old boy, Christian Bale struck me as a stuck-up, slightly humourless fecker. Even back then in the throws of youth he came across as a bit of knob. Between this and the family spat during the opening of Batman, he'll get a reputation as a fighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Have to say that the guy has went way down in my opinion. Have a shout and a moan by all means but this is basically a star who is abusing is position and bullying the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

man that is mad, I'm a fan of Bale, but this over the top behaviour sucks. You're making a movie man, it's all pretend at the end of the day!

maybe he should take Scarecrow's advice as suggested here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw0fTmnIVKQ

• Advertisement

I await with excitement for his spin off tv show :D

Advertisement