Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T4 Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Arnie would have been in no shape to make a real cameo. Plus I think the CGI kind of worked. It's good that the T-800 didn't say anything as it makes it all the more menacing. Plus, if they actually used any lines that Arnie possibly recorded, it would have just looked weird and cringeworthy. Xavier in Wolverine weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Thought it was good

who thinks Sarah Connor was a lot cuter in part one with a little fat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

MooseJam wrote: »
    who thinks Sarah Connor was a lot cuter in part one with a little fat

Everyone. But that wasn't the point of her character in T2 and it was a great choice to have her stripped of any girlyness after what she had seen in T1. She was lean and built like a female commando and was extremely self sufficient. Moon Bloodgood did NOT look like a woman in a post apocalyptic future with her perfect white teeth, manicured eyebrows and shiny hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

The Termaintor is starting right now on BBC1 btw :)

CC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CombatCow wrote: »

CC
    Indeed. Dear god I forgot how ... 80s that movie is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

CC
    Just watched it there after coming home from salvation, T2 is being watched in my dvd player as I type too.

Overall, I thought so so so many things in Salvation were terrible. The fact the terminators really love to push people over, the HUGELY unlikable and suprisingly terible acting of bale, the unnesisary characters(the white haird woman, and the little kid anyone) and of course those terminator bikes.

HOWEVER I still enjoyed the film as what it was, a popcorn film. Gets a 7/10 in my book and it was miles better than rise of the machines which is also a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

They allowed the film be directed by someone called 'McG.'

Of course it was awful.

If I'm going to catch some mice in my house I'm not going to run about the place trying to pick them up in my hands.

so you'd fall for a really big mouse trap then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

i thought it was good, had load of fanboy references,
    like you could be mine by guns n roses, the chase down the los angeles sewer with the good guys now in the tanker and the terminators on the bikes.. and john conner saying ill be back!!
    was a great popcorn flick, wasnt exactly another batman begins but could be interesting were they take the sequals..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Does anyone know if the BluRay T2 Skynet edition is gonna be released in europe, as the US version is region locked :(

CC

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Saw it last night and thought it was alright, but nothing amazing and certainly not a particularly interesting revamp of a franchise. The first hour was much better than the second, and I found the wider-perspective "this is how the world is now" bits better than the skynet stuff. Once
    John Connor got into the skynet facility
    it turned into a really boring film for me, rubbish character moments and a bunch of action scenes that were bad references to bits of the previous films. Also, at the end when
    John Connor is injured and his wife/partner says "it's his heart", they might as well have just held a sign up saying "Guess which renegade cyborg is going to become an organ donor today?" rather than the feeble attempt at a character moment they put in

That being said, it was a passable action film. Good special effects, some great action sequences along the way, and big robot action of the kind that Transformers singularly failed to provide. Plus, as someone else said, it's a nice change to see a bad-ass John Connor.

All in all, I was entertained for the most part. I wouldn't be fussed about watching a sequel to this (whereas I would definitely be onboard for a Star Trek 2, or Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 for that matter) so how good a reinvigoration of the franchise it will be has yet to be determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I haven't seen the movie yet but the three reviewers on newsnight last night slated it to pieces. Bale in particular came in for a lot of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Reasonable film. Putting aside the gaping plot holes and pointless references to other films, it had enough entertaining action scenes and good special effects to pass a couple of hours.

If I'm going to catch some mice in my house I'm not going to run about the place trying to pick them up in my hands.

You probably would though if the mice were really slow and you had huge metal hands which meant their bites wouldn't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Does anyone know if the BluRay T2 Skynet edition is gonna be released in europe, as the US version is region locked :(

CC

It's out, I got a copy in HMV Limerick last Sunday, for €22.99. It's purty, now they need to release a sexy Blu-Ray of the first film!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ah i thaught it was a fun popcorn movie, nothing spectacular by any means, but still an enjoyable 2 hour action movie! there were a few rediculous "mcG" moments though like
    the small terminator bike attached to the truck destroying the giant ship thing :rolleyes:
    but overall i liked it! now roll on transformers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

transformers! roll out :)

fyp imo tia itt

it was a lot better than star trek which was a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FatBeard

MooseJam wrote: »
    it was a lot better than star trek which was a joke

Star Trek was fantastic. Only movie in the last ten years that I went to see in the cinema twice. Second time wasn't as good i'll admit. And I only went a second time cause my friend and I couldn't agree on anything else but still a very good movie if you're not a trekie.

Terminator on the other hand wasn't that great at all. It had a few moments but that was about it. And I agree, Bale is just in too much stuff at the moment.

FatBeard wrote: »
    Terminator on the other hand wasn't that great at all. It had a few moments but that was about it. And I agree, Bale is just in too much stuff at the moment.

This is the first film he has done since TDK, so he hasn't been in anything in basically a year.

All of this negative overreaction towards Bale's performance makes me smile, as I know that come July people will be fawning over him again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

FatBeard wrote: »
    Star Trek was fantastic.
    I wouldn't say fantastic. Good. Plotholes so big you could drive a bus through them. The acting was good though. Watchmen is still the best film I've seen so far this year. I suspect Avatar in December may top it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FatBeard

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    This is the first film he has done since TDK, so he hasn't been in anything in basically a year.

All of this negative overreaction towards Bale's performance makes me smile, as I know that come July people will be fawning over him again.

Never said I didn't like his performance but from a quick glance on IMDB it seems your right about him not being anything for the past year. Probably just seemed that way as I watched a lot of his other movies at home lately.

On the other hand, if it's Public Enemies your talking about in your comment, I never really reacted to it upon seeing the trailers. Didn't seem to me like it's going to be anything special at all. But then I haven't read up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭lukin

Aidric wrote: »
    I haven't seen the movie yet but the three reviewers on newsnight last night slated it to pieces. Bale in particular came in for a lot of heat.

Yeah I saw that. That guy who was slagging off Bale said that he had been overshadowed in every film he was ever in! he has obviously never seen Rescue Dawn or Harsh Times. Feckin tool.

lukin wrote: »
    Yeah I saw that. That guy who was slagging off Bale said that he had been overshadowed in every film he was ever in! he has obviously never seen Rescue Dawn or Harsh Times. Feckin tool.

Or American Psycho, Batman Begins and The Machinist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Like your ever gonna get a good review on newsnight for a movie like this. The Bale comment just highlighted their pompousness.

he has obviously never seen Rescue Dawn or Harsh Times..
    Or American Psycho, Batman Begins and The Machinist.

or the prestige (held his own with hugh jackman brilliantly),or 3:10 to yuma (held his own with russell crowe), or shaft (yes shaft, he held his own there with sam jackson!)

my god bale is an amazing actor!! :D

...and i do mean that he is one of my favs the problem is he was never going to show off his acting prowess in a movie with loads of machines now was he?!

or the prestige (held his own with hugh jackman brilliantly),or 3:10 to yuma (held his own with russell crowe), or shaft (yes shaft, he held his own there with sam jackson!)

my god bale is an amazing actor!! :D

...and i do mean that he is one of my favs the problem is he was never going to show off his acting prowess in a movie with loads of machines now was he?!

I really do think that it was simply just of case of Bale not having much to do. He didn't really have any scenes where he could show his ability and the lack of dialogue really puts him at a disadvantage too.

That being said, I've been expecting this backlash against Bale for a while. For his own good I think he really needs to break the mould and take on a role that would be alien to him. He needs to show his range basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sligome

it was a bit "where is this going" of a movie, not impressed at all

I really do think that it was simply just of case of Bale not having much to do. He didn't really have any scenes where he could show his ability and the lack of dialogue really puts him at a disadvantage too.

That being said, I've been expecting this backlash against Bale for a while. For his own good I think he really needs to break the mould and take on a role that would be alien to him. He needs to show his range basically.

oh ur spot on man! ive got high hopes for the next one, i think him and jonny depp will work well together!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

You know, I prepared myself. I really really really tried. I knew all the elements I was going to hate, the bits we discussed here (transforminator) again and again.

I sat down with the lowest expectation, with two friends one was an action popcorn sort of person the other a sci fi fan.

It was really bad.

The action popcorn goer came out disapointed because the action was so unbelievable bland and I couldnt help but agree with him, none of the set pieces stuck out as anything remotely interesting.

The Sci Fi fan by about halfway through started asking when it was over, she was bored out of her mind.

And thats what sums the film up, it is unbelievable pointless. Easily the most pointless of the franchise.

Though in pure nerd fashion I did crack up when Micheal Ironside was on the comm with John Connor and my friend whispers to me *Prep the Ion Cannon We are taking NOD down!* the film was comparable to the fmv sequences of c&c tiberium wars...

*sigh* I wouldnt call it one of the worse film, but it is one of the most pointless. Nothing added, nothing changed.

Even little things from the offset bugged me. Why they showed the film's title twice, ok so the second time was a nod to the first film but why the first time?

And Christian Bale was f*cking awful in it and what makes it funnier is if I was to give the film a positive mention, it would have been that the lighting was good. The director of photography, the guy Christian Bale absolutely ripped to pieces, did a much better f*cking job then Bale (though the scene around the fire was a bit off)

Advertisement