Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I can't make head nor tail of those calculations but according to the press release:

I figured it out, it actually means lower wholesale prices (the price that someone reselling the product has to pay eircom).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Not many people will be able to get the Higher speeds unless eircom are rolling out adsl2+?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Not many people will be able to get the Higher speeds unless eircom are rolling out adsl2+?

Eircom's ADSL2+ rollout is the basis of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Spear wrote: »
    Eircom's ADSL2+ rollout is the basis of all this.
    Will we need ADSL2+ modems to avail of these higher speeds then? I've still got the ZyXel modem I got when I first signed up years ago, before they were giving away the current Netopia wireless routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

i have the original netopia modem they used ....might ask them for a new one for a laugh lol see if i can get something for nothing off eircom...not bloody likely

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

circos wrote: »
    i have the original netopia modem they used ....might ask them for a new one for a laugh lol see if i can get something for nothing off eircom...not bloody likely
    LOL. Expect to pay €90 for the new one! Power Surge killed my older netopia silver box, had to buy a new one! Is that ZyXel the stingray greeny modem, old skool stuff :D . Only supports USB iirc lol, if so think you'd also need a upgrade :)

Nick

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Alun wrote: »
    Will we need ADSL2+ modems to avail of these higher speeds then? I've still got the ZyXel modem I got when I first signed up years ago, before they were giving away the current Netopia wireless routers.

Yes you will need one, but all the Eircom modems for the last few years have included ADSL2+ support anyway. Only the older ones will need swapping.

Spear wrote: »
    Yes you will need one, but all the Eircom modems for the last few years have included ADSL2+ support anyway. Only the older ones will need swapping.

which was the first one to support adsl2?

which was the first one to support adsl2?

The Netopia 2247 does at least. What model Zyxel do you have?

i have netopia.......cant think of the model number think its a 3300 series....

oh im not at home right now thats why i cant check the model number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

i have netopia.......cant think of the model number think its a 3300 series....

oh im not at home right now thats why i cant check the model number

It's most likely the 3341 (USB/Ethernet) which is not adsl2+ compliant.

There is a firmware update on the Netopia website but it doesn't say what changes it makes to the modem. It may make it adsl2+ ready.
    http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/firmware/download_pages/jump_3341ent.html

http://www.netopia.com/equipment/products/3000/3300_bus_ds.pdf

http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/3341ent.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

June for the speed increase on the 3m/bit packages, is that right! It's a long time away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

this is definitely some of the biggest speed increases in ireland since digiweb metro came out 2 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

If the new 3Meg line is gonna be 7.6Meg then every exchange will have to be upgraded. How will that be done by June?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Great news indeed for everyone WITH Broadband already; I'm pleased for all yiz....... genuinely I am!

But, not putting a damper on things or anything, this does increase yet further the discrepancy between the "Haves" and the "Have-Nots". It is dispiriting and soul-destroying for those still condemned to the hell of dial-up to realise that the chasm in speed difference is to be further increased.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think adsl2 increases the distance from the exchange in which you can get broadband. So people who were to far from the exchange on adsl may be able to get broadband now. People on a non-broadband enabled exchange are still getting screwed over, though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Skyuser wrote: »
    If the new 3Meg line is gonna be 7.6Meg then every exchange will have to be upgraded. How will that be done by June?
    Eircom were fast with their last "upgrades" belive it or not, this one will probably require more work though

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Off topic >

Im with bt, 3mb connection.If I change back to eircom will I be able to avail of these new speeds or is it just for current customers....

Any news of bt following suit?

Im in newcastle west btw....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I think adsl2 increases the distance from the exchange in which you can get broadband. So people who were to far from the exchange on adsl may be able to get broadband now. People on a non-broadband enabled exchange are still getting screwed over, though.

Exactly

yoyo wrote: »
    Eircom were fast with their last "upgrades" belive it or not, this one will probably require more work though

Nick

The last upgrade was different though. This requires an upgrade at the exchanges whereas the last upgrade didn't.
    Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Off topic >

Im with bt, 3mb connection.If I change back to eircom will I be able to avail of these new speeds or is it just for current customers....

Any news of bt following suit?

Im in newcastle west btw....

Bt resell eircoms broadband so they along with all other bitstream resellers will be offering these speeds too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

For the purposed speed increases, Eircom does not need to upgrade to Adsl 2 for the majority of customers. Shamelessly taken from Wiki

50618.jpg

Hopefully we will be upgraded soon.

Bodan wrote: »
    For the purposed speed increases, Eircom does not need to upgrade to Adsl 2 for the majority of customers. Shamelessly taken from Wiki

50618.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the max for adsl is 8Mbps and for that you'd have to be right next to the exchange to get. The further you go from the exchange the lower the max speed you'll be able to get. I'd say the 7Mbps and above packages will be on adsl2.

50618.jpg

Technically you are correct, but I have it on good authority now that they are doing the upgrades with ADSL2+ technology accross the country. In the majority of cases the line quality isn't sufficient for these upgrades via adsl1 tech. We have a lot of very old copper. Hope my sources aren't wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Skyuser wrote: »

This wasn't just decided today. The upgrade work has been going on for a couple of months already. In the majority of exchanges, the upgrade to adsl2+ only requires a firmware upgrade to existing equipment rather than replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

I suspect both of you are right. If the price changes in March, supposedly the speed increases will begin around then! What’s the point in making a speed increase announcement 5 months ahead of schedule if not only to torture us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Praetorian wrote: »
    Technically you are correct, but I have it on good authority now that they are doing the upgrades with ADSL2+ technology accross the country. In the majority of cases the line quality isn't sufficient for these upgrades via adsl1 tech. We have a lot of very old copper. Hope my sources aren't wrong :)

this won't change with adsl2+, the new adsl2+ platform will upgrade the network connections, it won't change anything on the line to your home. If the copper quality is bad adsl2+ is not going to resolve that for you.

the limitation of adsl1 is a maximum downstream of 8Mbps as mentioned earlier in the thread, if you can get that speed on your line it doesn't matter whether it's on the adsl1 or adsl2+ equipment. So my guess is that adsl2+ will be for the speeds above 8Mbps, and anything from 8Mbps down will stay on the existing platforms.

Iago wrote: »
    this won't change with adsl2+, the new adsl2+ platform will upgrade the network connections, it won't change anything on the line to your home. If the copper quality is bad adsl2+ is not going to resolve that for you.

the limitation of adsl1 is a maximum downstream of 8Mbps as mentioned earlier in the thread, if you can get that speed on your line it doesn't matter whether it's on the adsl1 or adsl2+ equipment. So my guess is that adsl2+ will be for the speeds above 8Mbps, and anything from 8Mbps down will stay on the existing platforms.

Yes but because the line is using adsl2 it will be able to get higher speeds. For example my line is capable of around 4Mbps on adsl, on adsl2 it's capable of around 14Mbps.

Yes but because the line is using adsl2 it will be able to get higher speeds. For example my line is capable of around 4Mbps on adsl, on adsl2 it's capable of around 14Mbps.

Exactly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

That's not completely true, there are a number of factors that dictate what speed your line is capable of.

It's entirely possible that if your line is capable of around 4Mbps on adsl, it will only be capable of around 4Mbps on adsl2+ as well.

However if your line was capable of receiving 14Mbps you would only ever get a maximum of 8Mbps on an adsl1 service, whereas with adsl2+ you could get the full 14Mbps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I suspect both of you are right. If the price changes in March, supposedly the speed increases will begin around then! What’s the point in making a speed increase announcement 5 months ahead of schedule if not only to torture us!!

Yep it sounds like they will be rolled out during the next 4 weeks, if the prices change from the start of March, you would expect that it would be mostly done by then.

Also like you say, publicly announcing an upgrade and then not implementing it quickly would annoy the punters quite a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement