Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Gizo

Im suffering from huge contention problems to which they wont admit, dropping to between 500-800kbs from early evening to late at nite.
    Maybe they should sort out these king of problems first:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Liquidus

Excellent news, well i have a business package, and i used to have a 2mb line with 20gb cap, then it was upgraded 2 years ago, to 3mb with 40gb cap so I would expect my cap to go up to 80gb with the speed increase.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Liquidus wrote: »
    Excellent news, well i have a business package, and i used to have a 2mb line with 20gb cap, then it was upgraded 2 years ago, to 3mb with 40gb cap so I would expect my cap to go up to 80gb with the speed increase.:)

80gb is a nice number, I would be happy with that for the 8mb connection....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

8mb connection i'd need at least a 250GB cap :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

wizard1 wrote: »
    On the Subject of taking the PI$$, I live out in the sticks, not a hope in hell of our exchange (Ballygar, Galway) being upgraded. Only alternative is wireless provider, 2mb supposed to be unlimited, yeah right!) €120.99 per month!!!!!, now thats taking the pi$$. In france I could get 20mb, 40 odd tv stations and free internal phone calls , all for €30.00 per month. this is price gouging, whats our regulator doing about this????, nothing. I`ll take your 2 and 3 mb service anyday (Rant over!!)

Cheers!
    I've a house in France, out in the sticks, and I don't even have a telephone line, so, eh, point is moot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I have noticed the 4mb package goes to 10mb.

Thats weird as Eircom dont have a 4mb package.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Wait they do. Business package.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Yes it is true. I don't think there is a single person in the entire world that can get 8Mbps on adsl1 because you would have to be literally right beside the exchange and have a perfect line to get that speed.
    Just to follow up on this: I'm running ADSL1 on a Magnet line in Dublin 2, about 4,000 feet from Crown Alley, and training up about 7.7 Mbps downstream. Stats indicate the line would support 8.7 Mbps if the head-end was configured for it.

This is using Google Maps to plot the most direct route back to the exchange. In reality, with trips up and down poles, through manholes, up the sides of buildings, etc, it could be closer to 5,000 feet (1 mile).

Two Eircom ADSL lines in the same building are running at 4 MB/s and 6 MB/s respectively, but stats indicate a maximum possible speed (on those particular phone lines) of 7.6 Mbps and 8.7 Mbps respectively.

So I'd be confident that a good chunk of ADSL1 users, at least those in the city and suburbs, will be able to benefit from the increased speeds, equipment upgrade or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Dr.Mark

i've noticed that my Eircom speed has been really slow since early Janaury (I'm on home business) Worse times are between 5pm and midnight. Line keeps going down also.

If this is not an Eircom problem, could it be that my router (4-5 yrs old) should be replaced?
    Could it be that I have exceeded my download (and I have bigtime) and I am on some negative priority rating?

Thanks for any info!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Tenshot wrote: »
    Just to follow up on this: I'm running ADSL1 on a Magnet line in Dublin 2, about 4,000 feet from Crown Alley, and training up about 7.7 Mbps downstream. Stats indicate the line would support 8.7 Mbps if the head-end was configured for it.

This is using Google Maps to plot the most direct route back to the exchange. In reality, with trips up and down poles, through manholes, up the sides of buildings, etc, it could be closer to 5,000 feet (1 mile).

Two Eircom ADSL lines in the same building are running at 4 MB/s and 6 MB/s respectively, but stats indicate a maximum possible speed (on those particular phone lines) of 7.6 Mbps and 8.7 Mbps respectively.

So I'd be confident that a good chunk of ADSL1 users, at least those in the city and suburbs, will be able to benefit from the increased speeds, equipment upgrade or not.

Surely your on ADSL2+ for 7.7 m/bit. Perhaps it's just syncing at this speed but not actually giving you all that bandwidth. I have an ADSL line 150 metres from an exchange and can only get 7.5m/bit max.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

OK, Follow up on this, Dad rang eircom earlier asking could we upgrade our line to 4 meg to avail of the 10 meg offer, this was rejected saying it wasnt possible?! Then the lady said that our 3 meg package will NOT be upgraded to 7.6meg as its only happening "special business customers"?!
    Customers currently availing of a 3Mb, 4Mb or a 6Mb product will see significant increases in downloads speeds which will at least double.
    I'm a 3 meg eircom.net broadband customer but is all this is total bullsh!t? I don't know but dad was talking to a lady and she said only very few will get upgraded, absolute joke!

Anybody know:
    A.) I can avail of upgrading to 4 meg and at what fee?
    B.) This lady hasnt a clue what shes on about which is what I'm thinking

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

yoyo wrote: »
    OK, Follow up on this, Dad rang eircom earlier asking could we upgrade our line to 4 meg to avail of the 10 meg offer, this was rejected saying it wasnt possible?! Then the lady said that our 3 meg package will NOT be upgraded to 7.6meg as its only happening "special business customers"?!

I'm a 3 meg eircom.net broadband customer but is all this is total bullsh!t? I don't know but dad was talking to a lady and she said only very few will get upgraded, absolute joke!

Anybody know:
    A.) I can avail of upgrading to 4 meg and at what fee?
    B.) This lady hasnt a clue what shes on about which is what I'm thinking

Nick

1. 4meg is a business package so that upgrade won't be allowed for residential customers (although some have got it in the past)
    2. She's talking through her ar$e. Everyone currently on a qualifying package, business & residential, will get the upgrade.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    1. 4meg is a business package so that upgrade won't be allowed for residential customers (although some have got it in the past)
    2. She's talking through her ar$e. Everyone currently on a qualifying package, business & residential, will get the upgrade.
    Thanks for clearing that up! My Dad has a business working from home, would he not qualify as a business? Its actually a seperate phone line he has installed for his business its on

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭emmet14

if i changed from a 1mb to 2 mb now would i still get upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

emmet14 wrote: »
    if i changed from a 1mb to 2 mb now would i still get upgraded?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭SeanW

The last upgrades were straight 1Mb/128k additions, i.e. it used to be just 1024/128 and 2048/256, at that time all existing users were bumped up by a 1024/128 increment, and a new 1024/128 package was introduced.

It looks like the 1024/128 is a value package and will stay at that rate long term for people who just surf, use E-Mail etc.

If you want to get one of the upgrades in June, you will first need to upgrade from the value package.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

It's nearly March! :)

When's this happening? End of May?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

were (home broadband) not getting out upgrades till sometime in June, only the business customers of currently 4meg+ will get their upgrades before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

kaizersoze wrote: »

Eircom resellers will be get it too?

Im on bt 3mb, do you know if I will get the upgrade from 3mb to 7.6mb?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Eircom resellers will be get it too?

Im on bt 3mb, do you know if I will get the upgrade from 3mb to 7.6mb?

They will be getting it too. All they do is re-sell the eircom packages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I haven't read much of this thread as I'm a happy NTL customer. The advertised Eircom speed increase is to 12Mb, yes?

I've just had an Eircom guy knock on my door to tell me Eircom is releasing 25Mb broadband & TV service in the autumn. He said they're covering the area changing the phone sockets in the area to install new boxes that can handle the new service.

Anyone know about this? Sorry if it's covered already in the thread but a quick scan didn't show anything.

I'm in the Palmerstown exchange area btw.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

BendiBus wrote: »
    I haven't read much of this thread as I'm a happy NTL customer. The advertised Eircom speed increase is to 12Mb, yes?

I've just had an Eircom guy knock on my door to tell me Eircom is releasing 25Mb broadband & TV service in the autumn. He said they're covering the area changing the phone sockets in the area to install new boxes that can handle the new service.

Anyone know about this? Sorry if it's covered already in the thread but a quick scan didn't show anything.

I don't think it's been posted and I haven't seen anything about this (not that I've been looking). Hopefully it's true.

I don't think it's been posted and I haven't seen anything about this (not that I've been looking). Hopefully it's true.
    Lmao I think that would be expecting too much from eircon!

Nick

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

25 meg from Eircom of course its gonna happen....... sometime around November 2015 for nationwide rollout:)

yoyo wrote: »
    Lmao I think that would be expecting too much from eircon!

Nick

What can I say, I'm an optimist. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i wouldn't hold your breath tbh, i was told that 8Mbit speeds would be available in the spring by an eircom rep.

crap forgot to mention that was about 5 years ago :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Spoke to an Eircom worker today, he said all Eircom were trying to do at the moment was try and extend Broadband further out from the Exchanges than is currently available.At least that's the case in County Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Make sure you see ID and check out the info with a phone call to Eircom before you let anyone in to upgrade anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

kleefarr wrote: »
    Make sure you see ID and check out the info with a phone call to Eircom before you let anyone in to upgrade anything.

Or else you could get bugged...

Not going to happen. Its simply because we have not seen any upgrades to our exchange since it was first enabled. Its not even unbundled so its obviously not high on their list!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

kleefarr wrote: »

That thought occurred to me too, but I wasn't interested in letting anyone in anyway. As I said, I'm a happy NTL customer.

Maybe he was a spook looking to install a listening device in my home? :eek: (my guilty conscience getting to me again :p )

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement