Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Options
  • 31-01-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

eircom Introduces Higher Broadband Speeds

Thursday, 31st January 2008) eircom today announced plans to significantly increase broadband speeds for broadband customers nationwide, through a combination of speed upgrades and new products. The changes also apply to all wholesale customers, enabling other operators to offer new broadband products to the Irish market. Retail broadband customers will continue to pay the same monthly fee and will receive the speed upgrades free of charge, while today’s announcement will provide lower wholesale broadband prices.

eircom will now offer broadband products with download speeds that range from 1Mb up to 12Mb per second. The speed upgrades and new products will be introduced on a phased basis over the coming months.

More than 240,000 wholesale and retail customers will now see their broadband download speeds increase. These speeds will range from 3Mb per second to up to 12Mb per second.

Customers currently availing of a 3Mb, 4Mb or a 6Mb product will see significant increases in downloads speeds which will at least double. They will be upgraded to 7.6Mb, 10Mb and 12Mb product respectively. Customers currently using a 2Mb product will be upgraded to a 3Mb product.

The dates for each of the changes are being finalised with rollout to customers between now and June.

Commenting on the announcement, Rex Comb, CEO, eircom said, "eircom is responding directly to customer needs and levels of broadband usage by introducing increased speeds. Customers are maximising the benefits of their broadband connection through the increased use of online applications such as video streaming, online gaming, music downloads and peer to peer applications. The introduction of these higher speeds benefits broadband users nationwide and is the next step in the rollout of eircom’s Next Generation Network".

http://home.eircom.net/about/press/2008/January/12107837?view=Standard&main=yes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

Does this mean that BTIreland will update accordingly as well?

mentions wholesale prices : http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single10162

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thats fantastic news, lets hope its sooner rather than later, im on the 3mb so that means im going up to 7.6meg? Bit of a weird number that, I wonder why not 8 meg.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

fantastic! its been so long waiting for an upgrade

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Eircom's upgrades are badly overshadowed by Smart upgrading their users to 20 meg yesterday though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

whats even more unfortunate is that Smarts wonderfull service is only available to a handfull of very lucky people:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Don't Eircom have much more than 240,000 when wholesale and retail are put together? Personally I think this press release might be misleading.
    Customers currently availing of a 3Mb, 4Mb or a 6Mb product will see significant increases in downloads speeds which will at least double. They will be upgraded to 7.6Mb, 10Mb and 12Mb product respectively. Customers currently using a 2Mb product will be upgraded to a 3Mb product.
    Isn't 12Mb only available in there handful of upgraded exchanges in and around Dublin? Seems to reason to avail of 7.6, 10, and 12 you would also need to be on one of those exchanges. Even if they have begun to roll adsl2 out in all their exchanges I highly doubt this would be completed by june, considering it took 5 years or so to get as far as they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

kaizersoze wrote: »
    They will be upgraded to 7.6Mb, 10Mb and 12Mb product respectively. Customers currently using a 2Mb product will be upgraded to a 3Mb product.

http://home.eircom.net/about/press/2008/January/12107837?view=Standard&main=yes

And what about ppl on the 1MB package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭newbusiness

Don't Eircom have much more than 240,000 when wholesale and retail are put together? Personally I think this press release might be misleading.

Sounds about right. Virtually nobody offers broadband in this country but Eircom, plenty re-sell it though.
    Even if they have begun to roll adsl2 out in all their exchanges I highly doubt this would be completed by june, considering it took 5 years or so to get as far as they are now.

I'd imagine it will be done well before this deadline. Eircom may be waankers but their techincal divisions are excellent. The last upgrade took no time at all.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Wonder will they fiddle the caps too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Sounds about right. Virtually nobody offers broadband in this country but Eircom, plenty re-sell it though.
    I think you misunderstand my point. It seems low to me. Which I why I think that this isn't as nationwide as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm on the Ballyboden exchange which is supposedly a pile of ****, I'll believe this when I receive my 12mb line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Spear wrote: »
    Eircom's upgrades are badly overshadowed by Smart upgrading their users to 20 meg yesterday though.

Is that permanent or was it a test?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Is that permanent or was it a test?

There's been no official announcement either way, but we're now happily syncing at up 20 megs. Though in many cases peoples line quality will be the deciding factor, not the choice of package.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Generally people on the 1 meg package because:

1. They don't need it to be any quicker or want BB as cheap as possible.
    or
    2 Their lines are too poor to handle anything faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

There's been no official announcement either way, but we're now happily syncing at up 20 megs. Though in many cases peoples line quality will be the deciding factor, not the choice of package.

I'm sync'ing at almost 11m down/1.1m up on Smart which is apparently the max my line can handle. Still not complaining for €50pm inc line rental :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What? I can't find any information about this. Hardly overshadowed if it's not on any news site or even on Smart's own site. Must check my

One thing about eircom's press release, they don't state if the upgrade will be carried out on all existing broadband enabled exchanges, or only on certain ones. They still make no mention of non-enabled exchanges too.

edit. Just used Logmein to check the home connection, now syncing at 10540k down and 846k up. Not bad at all, thankyou Smart. I'm assuming they're currently checking what lines are capable of before announcing to the Press. Let eircom have their minute of lime light I suppose.

jor el wrote: »
    What? I can't find any information about this. Hardly overshadowed if it's not on any news site or even on Smart's own site. Must check my

One thing about eircom's press release, they don't state if the upgrade will be carried out on all existing broadband enabled exchanges, or only on certain ones. They still make no mention of non-enabled exchanges too.

I'm not aware of any official statements so far from Smart. No idea why since this would nicely deflate Eircom's release. But peoples connections have been upgraded already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

well 2mb to 3mb is still ok,

and what about upload speeds? no mention of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

Just seen this on Enn
    A statement from ComReg on Thursday said that the new rates will come into effect on 1 March 2008. From March onwards, a 1Mbps connection with a 48:1 contention ratio will cost Eircom's rivals EUR4.09, while a 12.2Mbps connection will be priced at EUR34.06.

http://www.electricnews.net/article/10123820.html

I wonder will we get the upgrades in march.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Long overdue but I will welcome tbh, 3meg to 7.6meg its a decent update, well its not a standard double 6 meg, as others are saying I hope they sort out the diabolical upload speeds and do the upgrade promptly, and of course set a fair cap, although dont think caps are a issiue with eircom in the past... If smart have upgraded their customers to 20meg permanently though this is a absolute disgrace of a upgrade, but I'll settle for it none the less, its not as scabby as I anticipated...

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

yoyo wrote: »
    as others are saying I hope they sort out the diabolical upload speeds and do the upgrade promptly

At 7.6Mbps down, I'd imagine the upload will be something around 512k. Can't see them going much more than that.
    and of course set a fair cap

HA! A tenner says it'll be 60G :D

jor el wrote: »
    At 7.6Mbps down, I'd imagine the upload will be something around 512k. Can't see them going much more than that.

HA! A tenner says it'll be 60G :D
    Lol, possibly 60.6gig :D , I would hope to have nearer a meg upload, that isnt asking too much, is it?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

you are being downgraded to 56k for a punishment of being on the lowest possible package !:D:D

Lol, possibly 60.6gig :D , I would hope to have nearer a meg upload, that isnt asking too much, is it?

Nick

The 12meg package will have/has 1meg up so I doubt the lower packages will have it.

At a guess, I'd say it'll be 7.6/512, 10/768, 12/1meg.

Yeah, makes sense cheers man,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

Nick

Take a look at http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0812.pdf

Thanks for the link.

My guess wasn't too far away I suppose.:p

7600/672, 10240/832, 12288/1024.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That seems to indicate that someone not on the 4Mb or 6Mb package will face a price increase or at least that's the way I read it. Is that the case?

That seems to indicate that someone not on the 4Mb or 6Mb package will face a price increase or at least that's the way I read it. Is that the case?

I can't make head nor tail of those calculations but according to the press release:
    broadband customers will continue to pay the same monthly fee and will receive the speed upgrades free of charge

• Advertisement

Still got pathetic upload speeds, ahh well, its a increase after all, Eircom could probably have gotten away with not doing it so I'll just be happy its being done...

Nick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement