Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Iago wrote: »
    That's not completely true, there are a number of factors that dictate what speed your line is capable of.

It's entirely possible that if your line is capable of around 4Mbps on adsl, it will only be capable of around 4Mbps on adsl2+ as well.

However if your line was capable of receiving 14Mbps you would only ever get a maximum of 8Mbps on an adsl1 service, whereas with adsl2+ you could get the full 14Mbps.

Yes it is true. I don't think there is a single person in the entire world that can get 8Mbps on adsl1 because you would have to be literally right beside the exchange and have a perfect line to get that speed.

The speed your line is capable of on adsl1 and adsl2 are completely different things. Just because I can get 14Mbps on adsl2 doesn't mean I can get the full 8Mbps on adsl1. I can only get around the 4Mbps mark. Also, just because my line is limited to only 4Mbps on adsl1 doesn't mean it's limited to 4Mbps on adsl2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Yes it is true. I don't think there is a single person in the entire world that can get 8Mbps on adsl1 because you would have to be literally right beside the exchange and have a perfect line to get that speed.

The speed your line is capable of on adsl1 and adsl2 are completely different things. Just because I can get 14Mbps on adsl2 doesn't mean I can get the full 8Mbps on adsl1. I can only get around the 4Mbps mark.

The predominant infrastructure in Ireland is unfortunately copper based, iand poor copper at that, f you upgrade every exchange in the country with adsl2+ equipment that doesn't change the underlying quality of the copper leaving the exchange and going into your home.

If you have line attenuation of say 50dB on your copper line, you are never getting 14Mbps through adsl2+ equipment at the local exchange. Regardless of being able to get 4Mbps or higher on adsl1. Changing the local exchange equipment will increase the highest attainable speed for lines within a certain distance of the exchange with a given attenuation level, that's it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The predominant infrastructure in Ireland is unfortunately copper based, iand poor copper at that, f you upgrade every exchange in the country with adsl2+ equipment that doesn't change the underlying quality of the copper leaving the exchange and going into your home.

True, I never denied that.
    If you have line attenuation of say 50dB on your copper line, you are never getting 14Mbps through adsl2+ equipment at the local exchange. Regardless of being able to get 4Mbps or higher on adsl1. Changing the local exchange equipment will increase the highest attainable speed for lines within a certain distance of the exchange with a given attenuation level, that's it.

Yes I know the snr and your attenuation determine your speed. But moving from adsl1 to adsl2 gives better speeds with the same attenuation and snr. It doesn't affect your attenuation or snr it just gives you better speeds with that attenuation and snr.
    I seriously doubt they'll be offering people the 7Mbps package on anything but adsl2 exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dan99989

Sorry if this is a double post, but just found this on eircom.ie -

http://business.eircom.net/broadband/packages/12Mb/11943340

Interesting, I'm in Bray so plan to call in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

dan99989 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a double post, but just found this on eircom.ie -

http://business.eircom.net/broadband/packages/12Mb/11943340

Interesting, I'm in Bray so plan to call in the morning!

Did you read the price tag ??:D :

12Mb Business Enhanced

€169.00

per month (ex VAT)

Are you interested? Please contact your account manager or call 1800 242 558

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

If you have line attenuation of say 50dB on your copper line...

It is likely that you will be able to get and maintain substantially better throughput with adsl2 (when compared to legacy adsl) while using the same phone line. The adsl2 standard simply uses more of the frequency band than adsl (afaik, adsl2 algorithms also handle attenuation in the phone line better).

Can we put this one to bed now?

supervixen wrote: »
    Did you read the price tag ??:D :

12Mb Business Enhanced

€169.00

per month (ex VAT)

Are you interested? Please contact your account manager or call 1800 242 558

Uh oh - didn't see that part... Still, I share with 3 others so split, thats not TOOOOO bad. Dammit, I'm just trying to justify getting a 12meg! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

free upgrades for the win! I'm a lowly 2Mb user but 3 will be nice. Going from 3 to 7.6 looks to be the sweet spot for value for money!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Im still amused at the 7.6 figure, why did tey not go for 7 or 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Spear wrote: »
    Yes you will need one, but all the Eircom modems for the last few years have included ADSL2+ support anyway. Only the older ones will need swapping.
    Mine's simply a modem, not a combined router/modem. It's A Zyxel Prestige 645 which was Eircom standard issue at the time (June 2003!).

Considering they're giving away wireless adsl routers at the moment, and I've been a customer of theirs for 5 years in the meantime, I'd hope they'd be forthcoming with a free replacement then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Hmmm UPC are really going to have to get the finger out now. I am interested to see what kind of speeds they will offer as I am assuming they are going to try and do something to counter this . I would imagine it will be something slightly worse then Smarts package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Alun wrote: »
    Mine's simply a modem, not a combined router/modem. It's A Zyxel Prestige 645 which was Eircom standard issue at the time (June 2003!).

The 645 is a Router too, not wireless, but still a router. It's not ADSL2+ compatible though, so you'll need a newer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Eircoms upgrade timetable.

Eircom.JPG

kaizersoze wrote: »

Eircom.JPG

Thanks for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

jor el wrote: »
    The 645 is a Router too, not wireless, but still a router.
    No it isn't. It's a modem. There were two ZyXel 645's a 645M and a 645R, this is a 645M ... three guesses what the M stands for :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

june is a long way off!!!! however im really liking the sounds of that 672k upload! could be helpfull to gamers maybe shaving another miliisecond or 2 off the pings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Alun wrote: »
    three guesses what the M stands for :)

Muppet, Mope, Miserable shower of feckers in eircom giving you a crap modem? My money's on the last one.

Since the upgrade is not going to be implemented till June, you have plenty of time to harass eircom into giving you a new one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Gonzo wrote: »
    Im still amused at the 7.6 figure, why did tey not go for 7 or 8?
    I'm wondering that too...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Great news indeed for everyone WITH Broadband already; I'm pleased for all yiz....... genuinely I am!

But, not putting a damper on things or anything, this does increase yet further the discrepancy between the "Haves" and the "Have-Nots". It is dispiriting and soul-destroying for those still condemned to the hell of dial-up to realise that the chasm in speed difference is to be further increased.

Agreed - it bugs me the way even the media are coming out with statements like " the issue has now moved on from that of access to that of speed and price". Ah ..no it hasnt. I suppose at least these upgrades do mean that when my exchange eventually gets enabled I will be able to avail of the 100mb speed that will be available then (prob around the year 2020)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

TheBazman wrote: »
    Agreed - it bugs me the way even the media are coming out with statements like " the issue has now moved on from that of access to that of speed and price". Ah ..no it hasnt. I suppose at least these upgrades do mean that when my exchange eventually gets enabled I will be able to avail of the 100mb speed that will be available then (prob around the year 2020)

Also agree with that. Up till a month ago I couldn't get DSL. Had tried everything - wireless, 3, Vodafone etc. The day the exchange went DSL live I ordered a 2mbit bundle which is more than enough for tele-working, and in due course it will be 3mbit. I live in a rural area and there will still be plenty of people around here who won't be able to get DSL either because they're too far from the exchange or on a carrier line. It’s a totally unfair situation, especially given the fact that many state/public bodies are encouraging people/businesses to use e-services like motor tax online, planning online, revenue online and so on the one hand, and yet on the other are doing very little by way of solid work in making the service available to all.

Zug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Gonzo wrote: »
    june is a long way off!!!! however im really liking the sounds of that 672k upload! could be helpfull to gamers maybe shaving another miliisecond or 2 off the pings.

that's kind of misinformed information tbh, sure the upload speed might lower ping in some cases but generally people get confused over the two of them.

i'm happy to hear about this upgrade

just looking at my line stats through my router and i'm a bit puzzled my downstream margin was never 1db. what are the rest of my stats like as i've done this stuff in college and i know about it but i don't know how high of a figure reflects on connection speed.

Probably about 14/15Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

so my line could take 14/15Mbps?

sweet! june is too too long away, i'll have to rape college/work broadband until then so :p

4 long months of waiting at the earliest.... 5 months if its end of june:( Ah well at least we know its coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It's too far away, why did they bother telling us so early :( lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Any word on if Smart are following this, there was a mention earlier in the thread.

Looks like Smart are going to give people whatever their lines are capable of if they are on the top package. So possibly 20m/bit if your lucky enough to be near your exchange. Apparently they are going to make an announcment soon enough. But so few people can take advantage and their rollout will take 100 years at their present speed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Praetorian wrote: »
    Looks like Smart are going to give people whatever their lines are capable of if they are on the top package. So possibly 20m/bit if your lucky enough to be near your exchange. Apparently they are going to make an announcment soon enough. But so few people can take advantage and their rollout will take 100 years at their present speed.

There's been no actual speed increases yet or even announced. What they've done is allow everyones modem to sync at the maximum rate possible, but still kept the allowed bandwidth to whatever the subscribed package is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

kaizersoze wrote: »

Eircom.JPG

Upload speeds are still shìt!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Kenny 5 wrote: »
    Upload speeds are still shìt!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I don't think so, they are pretty close to the maximum and they have to have some difference between the different packages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement