Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom & Resellers..BT, UTV etc] ADSL Speed upgrade to 8MB discussion...ongoing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Praetorian wrote: »
    I can't believe believe people still mention the word cap. It's really very silly because Eircom have been phenomenally good over the years for not charging people when they could have. SO LET ME SAY IT AGAIN, EIRCOM DO NOT CHARGE FOR GOING OVER CAPS, UNLESS YOU REALLY TAKE THE PI$$. It has been mentioned probably 50 times over the last two years.

No it doesn't because we were talking about Eircom.

And they've always said they reserve the right to charge, without warning in advance too. So, if you go over the cap, you'll never be 100% sure you won't be penalised, unless eircom actually state that the limits have been scrapped.

A fair use policy would normally mean the ISP contacts you if they feel you're download too much. Then at least you know what your actual limit is, and you've been warned before being penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Limits are not what Eircom have in place, they are guidelines in reality. I have heard of one case of Eircom charging and that was because a smart$$ polish bloke got a residential 3m/bit package in for his internet cafe and was pulling 80 to 100 gigs down a month. He deserved to be charged because he was taking the pi$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

My line seems better today

15.5 ATT

19.4 SNR

Which gives me 8128Kbps

I'm going to reset my modem now and see if it goes back to

48 att
    13 snr

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Bingo 48 att
    and 13 snr

4311Kbps

i must have bad cables in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,871 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Reading back through this thread I think my modem will need to be replaced for the upgrade. I have Eircom Broadband since May 2003 when it was 512k/128k and my modem is a ZyXEL Prestige 630 capable of 8 Meg. I am now on the 3 Meg service and on the positive side the 3 Meg is cheaper now than the 512 in 2003. Before that I had ISDN for a while which cost me a fortune and I never qualified for any of the special deals over the years. However I have to say that in general I am happy with the service except for the exorbitant cost.

I know it isnt happening until June but I wonder if Eircom realise that some modems will need replacement since I think this is the first upgrade where this is the case. I dont want to finish up in June with the wrong modem.

For a laugh I rang Broadband Support on 1st Feb but predictably they knew nothing about any upgrade, put me on to Sales who said upgrades were for Business only and they had no knowledge of any Eircom press release. I wonder does anyone listen to the recordings of these calls to see the nonsense people get when they ring up.

Does anyone know is there an e mail address I can message Eircom about this, I cant seem to find one? I dont want to waste another half an hour on the phone so maybe I will just write.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

Does anyone know is there an e mail address I can message Eircom about this, I cant seem to find one? I dont want to waste another half an hour on the phone so maybe I will just write.

bbcustsupport@eircom.net used to work.

Thanks Fred, I will give it a go to see what happens.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at eircom.net.
    I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
    This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<bbcustsupport@eircom.net>:
    Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. vpopmail (#5.1.1)

--- Enclosed is a copy of the message.

E mail to Eircom failed. Maybe I will wait for about a month and ring them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Limits are not what Eircom have in place, they are guidelines in reality. I have heard of one case of Eircom charging and that was because a smart$$ polish bloke got a residential 3m/bit package in for his internet cafe and was pulling 80 to 100 gigs down a month. He deserved to be charged because he was taking the pi$$.

I've hit 100gbs a month on a few occasions and was never charged, ESAT BT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I've hit 100gbs a month on a few occasions and was never charged, ESAT BT :D

Me too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Unfortunately eircom don't do 3gb in a bundle so it would probably mean an extra €23.50 a month to upgrade from 2gb :(

But in June i'll be more than doubling my speed (3gb to 7.6gb) so I'm not sure what to do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think they'll only charge you if you repeatedly download huge amounts month after month. They'll let you away with 1 or 2 months here and there of larger downloads once most of your months are within the specified download limit for your package. Most people tend to do a download spree for whatever reason every once in a while, particularly around christmas or holiday times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I have just upgraded to 3Mb. I rang up last night and the upgrade should be available sometime today they say.

So am I eligible for this free upgrade to 7.6MB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I have just upgraded to 3Mb. I rang up last night and the upgrade should be available sometime today they say.

So am I eligible for this free upgrade to 7.6MB?

Yes, you should be I would think

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Praetorian, I don't think it matters if the person is/was Polish in relation to this story, any person could do the same.

At the end of the day anybody who gets a home package with the intention of business use in this manner deserves anything they get if their this stupid regardless of what nationality they are.

and in the end when it comes to the usage caps in generally, anybody who goes over and gets charged has nobody to blame but them selfs as they agreed to the cap in the T&C's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I shouldn't have mentioned the persons nationality. Maybe I should have mentioned his name and the cafe he owns :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭bren50c

so does this mean the speed increases will be passed on to the providers who resell eircom bb too. I'm on gaelic telecom/Imagine 3MB. Anyone know if i'd be looking at a bump up in speed in June??? ... fingers crossed ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

bren50c wrote: »
    so does this mean the speed increases will be passed on to the providers who resell eircom bb too. I'm on gaelic telecom/Imagine 3MB. Anyone know if i'd be looking at a bump up in speed in June??? ... fingers crossed ...

Technically yes you should. Although some providers use a speed increase or price decrease as excuse to try to rope you into a new contract. UTV were notorious for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

We estimate that if using a rate adaptive up to 8Mbps service your maximum line speed will be: 8128Kbps

If you are on a Max product, that uses the IP Profile system (sometimes called BRAS Data Rate) if you maintain the above line speed for 3 days or more your IP Profile would be set to: 7.15Mbps

If your service provider uses ADSL2+ we estimate you may manage line speeds of: 10311Kbps
    With ADSL2+ the maximum IP throughput is likely to be around:9125Kbps

3mb line and half a mile or so from the exchange.
    I'm happy enough to wait until June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Will Eircom be dropping the €48.40 charge for the 3MB package before June?

I am on the 2MB package and up to now it wasn't really worth paying an extra €18.41 a month to go from 2MB to 3MB. However if going from 3MB to 7.6Mb it is definitely worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 wizard1

On the Subject of taking the PI$$, I live out in the sticks, not a hope in hell of our exchange (Ballygar, Galway) being upgraded. Only alternative is wireless provider, 2mb supposed to be unlimited, yeah right!) €120.99 per month!!!!!, now thats taking the pi$$. In france I could get 20mb, 40 odd tv stations and free internal phone calls , all for €30.00 per month. this is price gouging, whats our regulator doing about this????, nothing. I`ll take your 2 and 3 mb service anyday (Rant over!!)

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

jor el wrote: »
    The 645 is a Router too, not wireless, but still a router. It's not ADSL2+ compatible though, so you'll need a newer one.
    I've a 623R - so I guess that's not ADSL2 compatible either then :(

And recommendations? One of the Linksys ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

wizard1 wrote: »
    On the Subject of taking the PI$$, I live out in the sticks, not a hope in hell of our exchange (Ballygar, Galway) being upgraded. Only alternative is wireless provider, 2mb supposed to be unlimited, yeah right!) €120.99 per month!!!!!, now thats taking the pi$$. In france I could get 20mb, 40 odd tv stations and free internal phone calls , all for €30.00 per month. this is price gouging, whats our regulator doing about this????, nothing. I`ll take your 2 and 3 mb service anyday (Rant over!!)

Cheers!

Have you contacted the regulator?

Try CCing your local news paper or something on the issue and sending them an email to let them know what its about.

At the end of the day, you always have the choice of not using this service if it costs this much. Not saying that's a realistic solution but your not being forced to pay the prices. Have you looked for alternatives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

ElNino wrote: »
    Will Eircom be dropping the €48.40 charge for the 3MB package before June?

I am on the 2MB package and up to now it wasn't really worth paying an extra €18.41 a month to go from 2MB to 3MB. However if going from 3MB to 7.6Mb it is definitely worth it.

I'm upgrading from 2Mb to 3Mb soon. I'm with UTV paying €20.99 pm and will be paying €32.99. Why are you staying with Eircom when they are clearly ripping you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Skyuser wrote: »
    I'm upgrading from 2Mb to 3Mb soon. I'm with UTV paying €20.99 pm and will be paying €32.99. Why are you staying with Eircom when they are clearly ripping you off.

I am only with Eircom because I regularly exceed my cap and they have never charged me extra. If they did then I would move to another provider straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Why does the press release say 240,000 customers will see there speed increase when there are 800,000 broadband customers in Ireland ?? Is this increase just for Business customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Why does the press release say 240,000 customers will see there speed increase when there are 800,000 broadband customers in Ireland ?? Is this increase just for Business customers?

Everyone eligible, home and business, will be getting the upgrade.

Their latest update for DSL customers is 547,934. I'd say the bulk of that is home users on the 1meg packages who won't be getting a speed increase. The remainder would be the 240,000 on 2meg and higher getting the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Everyone eligible, home and business, will be getting the upgrade.

Their latest update for DSL customers is 547,934. I'd say the bulk of that is home users on the 1meg packages who won't be getting a speed increase. The remainder would be the 240,000 on 2meg and higher getting the upgrade.

Any news on the download cap?

I know they dont enforce it, but its still allways on the back of your mind that they will charge you some day when you go over it...

You could eat through the 30gb cap in 9 hours on the 7.6mb connection

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

It was be silly of them to expect people going from a 3MB to 7MB connection to still restrict themselves to 30 Gigs a month.
    In theory it should go to 70 Gig but more likely will go to 50 Gigs I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why are you staying with Eircom when they are clearly ripping you off.

This is the eternal question.
    Why would eircom bother improving anything when they know people will stay with them, even on exchanges where there are much better and cheaper alternatives?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement