Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Inquitus wrote:
    Give Silk's in Malahide a miss, seems they have had a small fire that has caused some legal issues

Haven't eaten there in years, it was probably the best of its kind in Malahide during the 90's. Well past it's sell by date now, wouldn't even consider it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

rushfan wrote: »
    Haven't eaten there in years, it was probably the best of its kind in Malahide during the 90's. Well past it's sell by date now, wouldn't even consider it at this stage.

Aye times must be so tough they had to put a growhouse in the roof to get by, lol! And aye in the 90's was Silks or Wong's for the best Chinese in Dublin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I still love The Orchid in Malahide though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

In relation to Silks, to be fair, I haven’t been there in years but I heard the place had gone to pot. Their mushrooms were always magic though.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Let's not make a hash of this & stay on-topic.

tHB :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Homer wrote: »
    In relation to Silks, to be fair, I haven’t been there in years but I heard the place had gone to pot. Their mushrooms were always magic though.... :D

Someone I know was doing work there this weekend and apparently the kitchen is filthy.

Said he wouldnt eat there if you paid him

Someone I know was doing work there this weekend and apparently the kitchen is filthy.

Said he wouldnt eat there if you paid him

Its still open???????? :eek:

Went for an early bird with the missus in Shaker & Vine last night, I have to say the food was good, the early bird was good value and I would recommend a visit, definitely one of the better restaurants in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Homer wrote: »
    Its still open???????? :eek:

Seems to be a very loyal and older group who keep returning - probably those who gave it so much business during the 90s.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Had dinner tonight in bon appetit in malahide steak Sunday fillet steak for 15 euro.

Beautiful meal really enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Went to shaker and vine a few weeks ago for a Saturday evening meal - 4 people total.

I was very impressed with it.
    The menu is nice, albeit it is a little bit limited. That said I've eyed a few things for a follow up visit.
    3 of us ordered starters, which all arrived promptly and were very nice.

We had some cocktails and two members of the party got wine flights. Essentially 3 small glasses of wine served on special board, each wine a different one from their menu. You can get a white or a red version. The wines provided are preselected by the restaurant and can be found on their specials board. It's probably not great value for money compared to buying bigger glasses (most wines on the menu are available on a by the glass basis), but on the other hand, you do get to try three different wines.

We separately ordered a bottle of white.
    One thing to note about the venue, they don't have a full licence so no hard spirit's etc. Which may turn you off their cocktails or may not depending on your tastes. I had a "bill the butcher" (port, lemon, raspberry, rhubarb) cocktail which was lovely but lacked a real kick. I enjoy an after dinner whiskey, whiskey cocktail, or sambuca to aid digestion, so it is disappointing that you can't get that. I think they may have applied for a full licence though so it might change in the future.

A funny thing happened. We had our starters and were enjoying the wine and a chat etc. And then another bottle of wine was Brought to the table. The girl said it was from the owner, on the house, to apologise for the delay on the main courses. It was funny because tbh we hadn't noticed a delay at all. Now, there probably was looking back but it hadnt been an issue. Still it was a really lovely jesture and very customer focused. It was the same wine that we had been drinking, which was in the middle of the price list, so it wasn't even a case of sending down the house wine.

Mains did arrive and were delicious. I got lamb and it was cooked to perfection with a lovely coating. Everyone was delighted with their food. Portion sizes are probably a little on the smaller/fine dining size. They do serve sides but they aren't listed on the menu - you have to look out for the specials blackboard, where they are listed, we hadn't noticed, so didn't order any.

That said, the four of us shared a charcuterie platter for desert which was amazing. You can pick your own options (up to 4 items I think) between cheeses and meats etc. It came really well presented and had loads on it. More than enough for four people.

I'd highly recommend,and I will be back sooner rather than later.
    Manager/owner cam down to us a few times for a chat - not overbearing but you could see he was really interested in our feedback and experience which is a good sign. We go to the blind pig now again (same owner) and we were having a chat about that, as my wife likes a specific house special cocktail there. He couldn't make it in S&V cos he didn't have the ingredients but said he'd be able to make it soon which is why I believe they've applied for a full licence.

The place was only about half full for a Saturday evening and I'm pretty sure Mastersons was closed, so I'm concerned if the place will survive (nothing seems to survive in that part of the main street in Swords). Though they do a wine club and cocktail events etc so perhaps there's enough of an alternative model to be successful.

Only other downsides, and they are minor - music a little loud for the type of restaurant /environment - I like to be able to chat with the people I'm out with, especially when it's post 9pm sitting on a Saturday night. Table/floor staff need to be a little more attentive - they are lovely and very friendly - just a couple of little things, like bringing a bottle of wine and glasses to the table and just leaving it there and not opening it and pouring it etc.

Uriel. wrote: »
    The place was only about half full for a Saturday evening and I'm pretty sure Mastersons was closed, so I'm concerned if the place will survive (nothing seems to survive in that part of the main street in Swords). Though they do a wine club and cocktail events etc so perhaps there's enough of an alternative model to be successful.

I went with the missus for a lovely meal there a few weeks ago, have recommended it to a few friends who visited and also really enjoyed the meal. I do agree that that particular area of the main street has been a graveyard for restaurants in recent times, despite being just across the road from the highly successful Mastersons.

I am glad Mastersons has been shut during their opening spell as hopefully it gets their foot in the door, so to speak. To my mind it is head and shoulders a better dining experience than Mastersons and I wish them all the best. One of the best new restaurants to open in Swords in a long while.

We went on a Friday and had the early bird, tried the flight of Red myself before settling on a nice Rioja by the glass afterwards, and my wife did the same with the white flight, definitely a novel concept, I have seen it in the US with beers many times in the past but not with wines before. Anyways as I say I wish them all the best, a lovely, well run, restaurant.

Inquitus wrote: »
    I went with the missus for a lovely meal there a few weeks ago, have recommended it to a few friends who visited and also really enjoyed the meal. I do agree that that particular area of the main street has been a graveyard for restaurants in recent times, despite being just across the road from the highly successful Mastersons.

I am glad Mastersons has been shut during their opening spell as hopefully it gets their foot in the door, so to speak. To my mind it is head and shoulders a better dining experience than Mastersons and I wish them all the best. One of the best new restaurants to open in Swords in a long while.

We went on a Friday and had the early bird, tried the flight of Red myself before settling on a nice Rioja by the glass afterwards, and my wife did the same with the white flight, definitely a novel concept, I have seen it in the US with beers many times in the past but not with wines before. Anyways as I say I wish them all the best, a lovely, well run, restaurant.

Mastersons used to be my go-to restaurant in Swords for a fancy dinner on a Saturday evening. I had a couple of bad experiences in close succession about 3 or 4 years ago and it turned me right off the place. I went back earlier this year for a meal after that long absence and I don't think I will be back. I have thought for a long-time that they'd lost the run of themselves and my trip earlier this year confirmed that for me.

I like my steaks and I regularly go to the likes of FX Buckley, Marco Pierre Whites, Fire etc. for dinner. Mastersons charge similar prices and are not in the same league at all. In my view their steak main courses are about €5 overpriced given the location, quality and reputation. Their steaks for two are easily €10 over priced. I got a chateabriand for 2 (wife and I) when in there the last time and the quality and size was appalling.

Place was looking really run down too. I know there are closed for renovations at the moment so maybe it will get a good fresh look. I'll probably give it a final shot if it reopens but I won't have much by the way of expectations.

When you compare the food and service with the restaurant upstairs in the Old School House there's really no comparison. I am actually to the schoolhouse restaurant next weekend and am looking forward to it.

I've been to Shaker & Vine 3 times now - twice for just drinks and once for a full meal last week. Also agreed with the music being too loud on the first 2 times but it was just right the last time.

Its food is very good. I had a vegetarian main which was a little on the small side but delicious. I think they're a head and shoulders above Mastersons.

I'll definitely be back.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

First visit in a while to Hogs and Heiffers yesterday evening Food and service excellent fantastic Wings and Ribs good value kids menu , nice vibe lots of couples and family's would go more often but the location is a killer if you like a few drinks when you get out.

I see some activity going on in Empire or "Return of The Empire" as I prefer to call it this week. Would appear that a deal has been agreed with the landlord and will be back open soon! This side of Christmas I would wager if they want to get a few quid in!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The Empire Strikes Back? :D

pinkypinky wrote:
    Its food is very good. I had a vegetarian main which was a little on the small side but delicious. I think they're a head and shoulders above Mastersons.

Just walked past what was Mastersons, sign over the door says "Kosan", a Thai gastro take out etc.

rushfan wrote: »
    Just walked past what was Mastersons, sign over the door says "Kosan", a Thai gastro take out etc.

Their FB page is gone, anyone any idea what happened, last time I walked past it was closed for refurb until Oct.

Their FB page is gone, anyone any idea what happened, last time I walked past it was closed for refurb until Oct.

Did some digging, apparently it's being re-opened as a Thai by the current ownership

• Advertisement

Did some digging, apparently it's being re-opened as a Thai by the current ownership

Cant see it surviving tbh. Pink elephant is just around the corner and is dead during the week. There's a Chinese (plaza) that does Thai

Uriel. wrote: »
    Cant see it surviving tbh. Pink elephant is just around the corner and is dead during the week. There's a Chinese (plaza) that does Thai

I agree, and the takeaway market is also very competitive with 2 excellent Thai's in Sanuk and Camille. Seems like a strange decision, also the restaurant is far too big now with the 2nd floor added, can't see a Thai supporting that much floor space, especially as you say with the Pink Elephant round the corner.

Really odd marketing decision.

Pink Elephant has survived a long time against the odds and is run by actual Thai people.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jorda 12

Does this mean I can use a voucher in the new restaurant that was bought from Mastersons ?

Jorda 12 wrote: »
    Does this mean I can use a voucher in the new restaurant that was bought from Mastersons ?

I don't know, it depends I guess if they have liquidated the old business and sold the assets onto the new one, or if it's just a re-branding. Hope they don't shaft you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Jorda 12 wrote: »

Yes you can. Someone on a Swords based Facebook page asked the owner and he said they're honouring all vouchers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Shred

That's a real shame about Mastersons, I thought it was superb for at least the first 3-4 years after it opened but had unfortunately gone seriously downhill the past couple of years.

Shred wrote:
    That's a real shame about Mastersons, I thought it was superb for at least the first 3-4 years after it opened but had unfortunately gone seriously downhill the past couple of years.

Agreed, it was our go to place for Communions, Confo, & Xmas eve for a few years when the kids were younger. Haven't been there in a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Went to the grillhouse beside Castle shopping centre for lunch last week.

Had a few different small plates and it was lovely. Got a chicken burger for my son and was pleasantly surprised to see it was a full chicken fillet.

Tasty and different with great service.

• Advertisement

The Betsy opening this coming Friday 23rd November!

Advertisement