Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 padger

The Thai restaurant in balbriggan, karma Thai, is lovely , delicious food and friendly people

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I couldn't agree more. The only issue that I have with Karma Thai is that they have different menus for the restaurant & for takeaway. And my fave dish is only on the takeaway menu.

That said, the food is super & the service is great. The restaurant is very family-friendly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 padger

Didn't realise they had separate menus, can't beat the pad Thai though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Dinner at sale e Pepe Friday always a lovely experience.

Nice food and good service

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

A place I never would have thought was the restaurant in the Carnegie Court. Had a really nice early bird on Paddy's day. Food was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

plodder wrote: »
    A place I never would have thought was the restaurant in the Carnegie Court. Had a really nice early bird on Paddy's day. Food was excellent.

We had our wedding meal there and got the early bird. Everyone had what they wanted and were happy!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, I've never had a bad meal in the Courtyard.

Genealogy Forum Mod

We went for a trip to Skerries this afternoon having not been there in a few years.
    We ate in the Blue Bar. I have to say, I was very impressed with the quality of the food.

Had 1 starter, 2 mains, 1 side , 2 deserts and a coffee for 65 euro.
    It would be on my repeat visit list...if i kept one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

In Oscar Taylors last night and it was good.

3 starters, 5 mains (1 Child) and 4 desserts glass of wine and 4 soft drinks around €125 so reasonable.

We had a good selection from menu, wings, (have had better), HK Chicken and fish cake as starters. The Salmon, Chicken and Steak as mains and they were good. Desserts were 6/7 out of 10.

Will go back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I think we're very fortunate to have the pick of great eateries in the north county. A few of my favourites:

Swords: Indie Spice and D'Chili Shaker for Indian, Gourmet Food Parlour for Tapas.

Donabate: Pasta Castello and Chungs for Italian & Chinese respectively.

Skerries: Blue, Stoops, Red Bank and Raffs. The latter does an excellent voucher deal for steak on the stone for two. Booking that with a live band playing is a really good night out!

Special mention for my favourite coffee shop which does nifty food which is at The Seamus Ennis centre in the Naul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yes the Seamus Ennis centre cafe do a decent full meal and a french or italian theme night when they show a french or italian film.

Had a grand bacon and cabbage there st. Patricks day. For the day that was in it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've never warmed to gourmet in swords since the purple revamp last time we went there for tapas it was so dark we couldn't read the menus.

I often get a takeout sandwich there and love going for brunch in their malahide branch but the swords gourmet is no longer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

During the week - office hours there is also the gourmet food parlour in the estuary business park -right by the new post office depot. Parking isn't much better though, since they went nuts with the double yellow lines in there about a year ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've never been in the Gourmet Food Parlour in the evening, we usually go for breakfast or lunch - or for coffee and their huge warm scones that come with cream and jam :)

I've never been in the Gourmet Food Parlour in the evening, we usually go for breakfast or lunch - or for coffee and their huge warm scones that come with cream and jam :)

Brunch is still good there I've been a few times on my own and it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Michael8000

Yes the Seamus Ennis centre cafe do a decent full meal and a french or italian theme night when they show a french or italian film.

Had a grand bacon and cabbage there st. Patricks day. For the day that was in it.

C77Lqa1W4AAZXV9.jpg

Am being treated to the early bird in Bon Appetit tonight, anyone been recently?

Stheno wrote: »
    Am being treated to the early bird in Bon Appetit tonight, anyone been recently?

Yum!!!

Stheno wrote: »
    Yum!!!

Now that I'm out of my food coma, I can be a little more expansive.

Lovely service, with a great waiter who got my OHs sometimes obscure humor.

Last time we ate here it was when it was still Le Restaurant, then the bistro, and the tapas, so a lot fancier.

They've really changed the style of the bistro as it was.

Great bread to chew on while we perused the menu, I'd spatchcooked quail for starters, then pork belly with egg, and black pudding in a veg broth.

I wasn't too sure how to eat the quail, so didn't get the best of it, and later saw another diner just pick it up and suck the meat off the bones.

Either way, both courses were gorgeous.

OH had a spare rib croquette, and roast chicken (he's a fierce plain eater, last time we were there he thought the best part of the meal was the bread :eek:)

He said both were just divine.

Two courses each, two glasses of wine, a soft drink and a coffee came to 50 euro which I thought was shockingly good value.

They've completely changed from how they were a few years ago, they do brunch now, and a steak special on Sundays where a steak is 15 euro.

I'm still sat here and my tummy is still going "omg, omg, that was good" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

the guy who runs it had the newstalk business show in there doing a live event last weekend and was saying how he,d done the whole michelin star thing and found it to be a pain in the backside and now just wanted to serve decent food and give good service and wasnt bothered with the whole snobbery around the high end restaurants

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I was there last week: very nice food but portions are quite small. I had a lovely crab starter and vegetarian gnocchi dish for my main but was left a bit hungry. Staff were attentive but not overly. 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 glasses of wine for €130.

One small complaint: it was mother's day and their offer of €15 steaks didn't apply. That's fine: but take down the signs advertising it on those occasions.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I was there last week: very nice food but portions are quite small. I had a lovely crab starter and vegetarian gnocchi dish for my main but was left a bit hungry. Staff were attentive but not overly. 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 glasses of wine for €130.

One small complaint: it was mother's day and their offer of €15 steaks didn't apply. That's fine: but take down the signs advertising it on those occasions.

I like the small portions :)

On the likes of mothers day I can see why they don't do the offer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Swords Main Street now has an Italian with wood fired pizza called "Pomodorino" and it's excellent.

Very small place (next to the now defunct Pok Pok) with only a couple of tables but offers takeout (which is considerable cheaper than the dine in prices).

Great food, service could have been better but I was on the 2nd day of them open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

Went to Bon Appetit for the tapas on Saturday. The food was fantastic but my god the woman serving us was a nightmare. Between forgetting every order we gave her (drinks and food) to standing at our table bitching about the owners. I wont go back again if she's there in future, i'll turn and walk out. Someone in my job was there the same night and had the same complaints about her. Appalling behavior.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's very off-putting, I doubt she'll be working there for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Just seeing the mention of the Seamus Ennis centre in Naul and I have to highlight just how consistently delicious their roast meals are. The missus and I used to go there for breakfast from Balbriggan and while I wouldn't rate the breakfasts, their roast lamb and beef meals are absolutely divine. It's not somewhere to make an 'event' of but if you happen to be in the area and are feeling peckish, it's well worth it.

We went to Fifty50 in Ashbourne a few weeks ago. Had 3 course early bird for €16.
    the food was exceptional. Parking in Tesco just opposite. Booking is essential

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

We went to Fifty50 in Ashbourne a few weeks ago. Had 3 course early bird for €16.
    the food was exceptional. Parking in Tesco just opposite. Booking is essential

Now as local to the area I would have to point out that it is in Meath but yes the food is exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Not dinner but went to Seasons in Skerries for breakfast on Saturday and I must say it was delicious. Service was excellent and they dealt with the power cut very well. Plenty of options available but the Breakfast of Champions was top notch

• Advertisement

Went to the Seamus Ennis art centre for brunch today, it was lovely. I'm convinced they did themselves on the bill, a breakfast, a blt, two coffees, three lattes and a slice of brack came to 19.90. They checked it a couple of times and said the extra coffees went down as refills rather than full price and seemed happy with it.

Will be checking out some of their events they seem to have a great programme

Advertisement