Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Same menu as all their other branches, bar the cut down one in Game Stop in Swords.

I've had tapas in the main Swords one twice in the evening. It was fine but nothing memorable.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I've never been to Gourmet Food Parlour for dinner, I see it more as a coffee/lunch type restaurant. There's no way I'd pay €8 for granola though!

Well if you ever do, & if you like red wine, whatever you do, avoid the "Doppio ", I'm the only one who's allowed drink it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

After a couple of bad experiences, GFP has become a little favourite of mine recently l. Go with family bout once month and we order 2 tapas each and share along with a side of potatas bravas (delish). They do a good old fashioned too which is important for me :)

Only thing about the one in Swords is the acoustics. It's incredibly loud I find which isn't great for a chat with friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Uriel. wrote: »
    After a couple of bad experiences, GFP has become a little favourite of mine recently l. Go with family bout once month and we order 2 tapas each and share along with a side of potatas bravas (delish). They do a good old fashioned too which is important for me :)

Only thing about the one in Swords is the acoustics. It's incredibly loud I find which isn't great for a chat with friends and family.

Aye I went with my Wife on Friday and we shared 3 Tapas dishes and a Patatas Bravas with a couple of Glasses of wine each, price was good, food was a nice amount and the vibe was good. There is alot of echoey background noise, I would agree on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

See here...
    https://www.gourmetfoodparlour.com/restaurants/skerries

A menu full of burgers & wings & other dishes done well & cheaper in Ollie's/The Windmill, Blue Bar, 5Rock, The Salty Dog & The Brick House makes me wonder if we've hit peak "Bar & Grill" in Skerries?

And €8.50 for Granola?! The Tiger's back, baby!

Best of luck to them.
    I went to the new one in Skerries with my daughter today. The place was mobbed - we had to queue for a table. Very good food and the service was quicker than I expected. A bit expensive for regular use but nice for a treat.

(My only gripe is that nonsense of serving food on a chopping board. I'd much prefer it on a plain white plate.)

Made a reservation for dinner on Friday night also.

• Advertisement

(My only gripe is that nonsense of serving food on a chopping board. I'd much prefer it on a plain white plate.)

Maybe Skerries isn't ready for this sort of "Nouvelle Cuisine" shipped out from the Swords Metropolis, to the boondocks yet! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I went to the new one in Skerries with my daughter today. The place was mobbed - we had to queue for a table. Very good food and the service was quicker than I expected. A bit expensive for regular use but nice for a treat.

Made a reservation for dinner on Friday night also.

When my food is served on a plank/floor board I always return it and request a plate!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

...A bit expensive for regular use but nice for a treat.
    For me, just eating out these days is a 'treat'. God be with the days when it was 'regular'. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

For me, just eating out these days is a 'treat'. God be with the days when it was 'regular'. :o

We eat out more regularly now the kids have grown up and left, but the feeling of it being a treat has remained :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Gourmet Food Parlour has always been a let down for me. I would go, be annoyed , swear to never go, then go again and then either the same thing would happen or something else that is just basic requirement to eating in a restaurant.

The portions got smaller and the prices went up.
    One time in Swords breakfast finishes at 12 , arrived at 1145 and told breakfast had finished by a rather uppity waitress and only after a too and fro from the kitchen she said 'fine' and went through. Then the dishes arrive at seperate times, sometimes 5 mins apart.
    Another time, ordered sides of sweet potato fries, asked for twice never arrived, came down to the table with the bill.
    The wait staff all seem to be at a loss to who serves what area.

In the santry one we went on a very quiet tuesday evening and ordered starters and main, some value menu they had running. Over an hour before between sitting and they cleared our starter plates .

I only ever really get coffee in the malahide one so dont know anything about it but generally refuse to go now to any of them.

I messaged them about poor service on facebook and they were very good to come back and say they were training new staff (they werent) and offered to look after us if we popped in but i refused it as it wasnt the point of using contacting them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Homer

Didn't want to start a new thread just for this but I see that Empire in swords has closed its doors! Was hit and miss there with the menu for a while but not good for that end of the town especially with new restaurants either side of it just opened!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Homer wrote: »
    Didn't want to start a new thread just for this but I see that Empire in swords has closed its doors! Was hit and miss there with the menu for a while but not good for that end of the town especially with new restaurants either side of it just opened!

Really? Hadn't heard. Is it permanent and is it the full venue?

I'm going to guess that the opening of Chalk has helped push that along. Given what I've heard about empire's tactics against other venues I can't say I feel too sorry for them. Hopefully the staff can find other work ASAP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's shocking about Empire - it seemed so popular :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm going to guess that the opening of Chalk has helped push that along. Given what I've heard about empire's tactics against other venues I can't say I feel too sorry for them. Hopefully the staff can find other work ASAP.

permanent

staff arrived in yesterday to locked doors.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Their facebook page says receivers have been appointed. Very sorry for the staff.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I can’t even see their Facebook page, has it been deleted? My sister is meant to be at an event there in 2 weeks or so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

The GFP in Malahide by Gannon Park is dreadful. The service is truly appalling. I cannot understand how such a small restaurant is so poorly managed. Like below poster, we have visited a number of times over the years. We kept telling ourselves that we would give them another go. But it is the same each and every time we visit. I am very surprised it is still there.

To give an example, a friend was left waiting 40 mins for his lunch only to be told they had run out and did he want to order something else. I mean FFS, the rest of us had nearly finished our meal. Repeatedly having to ask for items etc. I did make a complaint on my last visit and the response was basically "ok thanks!".
    BKWDR wrote: »
    Gourmet Food Parlour has always been a let down for me. I would go, be annoyed , swear to never go, then go again and then either the same thing would happen or something else that is just basic requirement to eating in a restaurant.

One time in Swords breakfast finishes at 12 , arrived at 1145 and told breakfast had finished by a rather uppity waitress and only after a too and fro from the kitchen she said 'fine' and went through. Then the dishes arrive at seperate times, sometimes 5 mins apart.
    Another time, ordered sides of sweet potato fries, asked for twice never arrived, came down to the table with the bill.

In the santry one we went on a very quiet tuesday evening and ordered starters and main, some value menu they had running. Over an hour before between sitting and they cleared our starter plates .

I only ever really get coffee in the malahide one so dont know anything about it but generally refuse to go now to any of them.

I messaged them about poor service on facebook and they were very good to come back and say they were training new staff (they werent) and offered to look after us if we popped in but i refused it as it wasnt the point of using contacting them

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

BKWDR wrote: »

Rude staff reported at the branch just opened in Skerries - must be contagious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

what tactics??

pity it closed i always liked it as late venue and had a decent selection of beers and spirits.
    in fact it was probably my favourite place....late opening and close to home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Went to GFP in Skerries last Thursday for breakfast, I thought it was nice. Service was good too.

We went again at 9am on Saturday morning with another family - we were told no chance unless we had a booking - they had 150 booked in before 12!!! Madness

• Advertisement

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Went to GFP in Skerries last Thursday for breakfast, I thought it was nice. Service was good too.

We went again at 9am on Saturday morning with another family - we were told no chance unless we had a booking - they had 150 booked in before 12!!! Madness

In Swords you have to reserve a table for brunch in order to be sure of one.

what tactics??

pity it closed i always liked it as late venue and had a decent selection of beers and spirits.
    in fact it was probably my favourite place....late opening and close to home too.

Well according to the jungle drums you may not have to wait too long for it to be back up and running.. not by the previous owners but rumour has it that somebody has approached the landlord about taking over the lease. Makes sense really as all the interior work has been done!
    My money is on the new name being “The Empire Strikes back” :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I’m going out for lunch today and haven’t been out in a while! Looking for some recommendations :)

I’m going out for lunch today and haven’t been out in a while! Looking for some recommendations :)

Lunch where? Malahide? Skerries? Swords?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Homer wrote: »
    Lunch where? Malahide? Skerries? Swords?
    Can recommend Rockabill in Skerries, directly opposite the church. You can park for fee in Supervalu and walk by side of church. Very handy. Has an inside and outside, and generally not too busy. Relaxed atmosphere. Never crowded.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Popped into The Grill House in Swords on recommendation on here in another thread.

I got a take-away of the mixed grill for 2 with humous extra (40 quid all in and comes with 1.5l of pop, flat breads, rice, salad, sauces etc.). Best kebab/Lebanese food I've had in quite a while.

It really reminded me of Habibi that was on George's St. in D.2.

I don't know if I'd have it as a destination place for an evening meal out as while the room is ok they could do with splashing out on an interior designer to bring it up to the level that matches the food and the prices. Oddly enough this was one of Habibi's failings too.

The food can't be faulted and if I was on a night out in Swords I'd be itching to go there with a bottle of plonk under my arm (no corkage fee) but with the intention of moving on to a pub.

humberklog wrote: »
    Popped into The Grill House in Swords on recommendation on here in another thread.

I got a take-away of the mixed grill for 2 with humous extra (40 quid all in and comes with 1.5l of pop, flat breads, rice, salad, sauces etc.). Best kebab/Lebanese food I've had in quite a while.

It really reminded me of Habibi that was on George's St. in D.2.

I don't know if I'd have it as a destination place for an evening meal out as while the room is ok they could do with splashing out on an interior designer to bring it up to the level that matches the food and the prices. Oddly enough this was one of Habibi's failings too.

The food can't be faulted and if I was on a night out in Swords I'd be itching to go there with a bottle of plonk under my arm (no corkage fee) but with the intention of moving on to a pub.

Aye the food is great but it needs a lick of paint and is relatively poorly located, I hope it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye the food is great but it needs a lick of paint and is relatively poorly located, I hope it lasts.

The BYOB is a massive plus as well.

Adds to the chilled out vibe of the place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I had dinner in Empoli in the plaza 2 weeks ago, I have to say, it was a grand meal. very cheap, good portion sizes, great service. I think there were 8 people in it on a Friday night which is not a good sign but I would go back.

• Advertisement

Give Silk's in Malahide a miss, seems they have had a small fire that has caused some legal issues :)

http://www.thejournal.ie/silks-restaurant-cannabis-grow-house-4236535-Sep2018/

Advertisement