Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

neris wrote: »
    went to seabank in malahide last week for the OHs birthday, went mid week so it was quiet with only 2 other tables occupied which was good as the place is tiny inside and the tables are on top of each other, food was good but bit thought theyd have a lot more seafood on the menu. not a place i,d be rushing back to especially on a Friday or Saturday night when its likely to be busy.

I've often wondered what it's like, it looks tiny.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've often wondered what it's like, it looks tiny.

Is that the place across from the big car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

Stheno wrote: »
    Is that the place across from the big car park?

Yep. Leaving malahide heading towards Portmarnock it’s just after the Grand hotel on the right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Was in gourmet food parlour in Northwood on a Monday evening. Vowed id never return to the swords one.. Service always really bad and staff running around and no one doing anything.... Low point was getting a portion of sweet potato fries we ordered WITH the bill.
    GFP Northwood, food was good but service really a shambles and considering we were only 4 and the place was empty enough
    Usual, ask for water 3 times and never got it. One starter ordered, time between starter arriving and it being cleared and burgers arriving, 50+ minutes... Unreal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

BKWDR wrote: »
    Was in gourmet food parlour in Northwood on a Monday evening. Vowed id never return to the swords one.. Service always really bad and staff running around and no one doing anything.... Low point was getting a portion of sweet potato fries we ordered WITH the bill.
    GFP Northwood, food was good but service really a shambles and considering we were only 4 and the place was empty enough
    Usual, ask for water 3 times and never got it. One starter ordered, time between starter arriving and it being cleared and burgers arriving, 50+ minutes... Unreal

I've always found the service slow in the Swords one too - and a while back we were in the Dun Laoghaire one and it was no better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭robbe

Malahide one similar - plenty of staff running around but not really anyone running things.....this experience similar to many friends who have eaten there quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Been to the new Joyous gardens twice recently which is part of Martins bar in Rush. Mind you I am not the most adventurous when it comes to eating out.

On each occasion the food was excellent. There was 16 of us on one visit and everyone was very happy with the food and service.
    We had a wide selection from the menu from tradition chinese food to seafood and steaks. It was reasonably priced also and afterwards out in the bar there was live music nothing hectic but a decent 3 piece band.

Well worth a visit and will go back with OH in few weeks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I've always found the service slow in the Swords one too - and a while back we were in the Dun Laoghaire one and it was no better.

I eat fairly often in the Swords and Santry ones and although the food is very good, they can be very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I tried Pomodorino in Swords at the weekend.

I didn't like it. The vegetables on the pizza were huge. Whole mushrooms instead of sliced which weren't cooked fully.
    I asked two Italians guys I know who run an Italian cafe in town (one of them is a pizza chef) was there anywhere in Italy that made pizzas like this & they said no. We also got a Margherita pizza & there was very little mozzarella on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

PWEI wrote: »

I didn't like it. The vegetables on the pizza were huge. Whole mushrooms instead of sliced which weren't cooked fully.
    I asked two Italians guys I know who run an Italian cafe in town (one of them is a pizza chef) was there anywhere in Italy that made pizzas like this & they said no. We also got a Margherita pizza & there was very little mozzarella on it.

Ah I've always enjoyed it! Only pizzas though, made the mistake of getting pasta before and the portion was tiny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Daraa wrote: »
    Ah I've always enjoyed it! Only pizzas though, made the mistake of getting pasta before and the portion was tiny!

Aye they are defo the nicest Pizza available in Swords and surrounds, have heard the new Italian in Malahide is very nice though, That's Amore!

PWEI wrote: »

Sounds like a bad night, I hope you complained because that doesn't sound right at all. I've been there a couple of times and never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Went to Pomodorino with the OH last night.

First time there and I will definitely be back. Pizza was delicious and the Peroni was even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

We got a voucher delivered from Camille in Swords the other day with a special offer code but I seem to have thrown it in the bin by accident, anyone know what the code was by any chance??

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I posted in the 'Restaurant Quarter for the Pavilions' thread just now. There is a new Italian restaurant called Cafe Tara in the Swords Main street near the Castle - only had time for a coffee but menu reasonably priced - house wine reasonable, beers, big jugs of squash €2, little ones €1 and the decor (real table cloths!!) was restful and stylish. Staff were welcoming to all who arrived. Opened last week. Support.

Folks were out for dinner last week and went into the new restaurant that used to be Fratelli/Dowlers/Mint leaf and said it was superb! Cannot remember the name of the top of my head. Anybody else been? Its an Italian by the way. Best of luck to them and hopefully somebody can break the curse that has befallen all the previous eateries that went before them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Homer wrote: »
    Folks were out for dinner last week and went into the new restaurant that used to be Fratelli/Dowlers/Mint leaf and said it was superb! Cannot remember the name of the top of my head. Anybody else been? Its an Italian by the way. Best of luck to them and hopefully somebody can break the curse that has befallen all the previous eateries that went before them!

Shaker and vine

Same owner as the blind pig.

I'd be interested to hear about the menu. Their website, which isn't very developed gives a sort of wine and tapas feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Not sure if 3 Italian style cafes in a row can compete there. But good luck to them if they're good.

Uriel. wrote: »
    Shaker and vine

Same owner as the blind pig.

I'd be interested to hear about the menu. Their website, which isn't very developed gives a sort of wine and tapas feel about it.

That’s the other side of empire and not opening till this weekend. I was onto the folks and it’s called Wine House restaurant. I absolutely agree though that between them, pomodorino and Shaker it’s going to be tough for them all to survive!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Homer wrote: »
    That’s the other side of empire and not opening till this weekend. I was onto the folks and it’s called Wine House restaurant. I absolutely agree though that between them, pomodorino and Shaker it’s going to be tough for them all to survive!

ah right, didn't realise there'd be three in such close proximity.
    does that mean S&V are going in where PokPok is/was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Was in Gourmet Food Parlour in Swords for their early bird on Friday night.
    €23 for 2 courses and a glass of wine is not bad.

The food was delicious and service was nice and fast which is a change from the last time I was there for brunch. Will definitely be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Has anyone else noticed a deterioration in the food quality from Moti Mahal Indian in Balbriggan? I forgave them the first time but it's beginning to become a trend. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Pipmae wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed a deterioration in the food quality from Moti Mahal Indian in Balbriggan?  I forgave them the first time but it's beginning to become a trend. :(
    Haven't eaten from there in a while. Hope it hasn't gone down hill as it was always very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Pipmae wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed a deterioration in the food quality from Moti Mahal Indian in Balbriggan? I forgave them the first time but it's beginning to become a trend. :(

Could it be a different chef? I have noticed some orders are better than others and I put that down to whoever is working that night.

Could it be a different chef? I have noticed some orders are better than others and I put that down to whoever is working that night.

Funny, I have never had takeaway from there but have eaten in on numerous occasions and have always enjoyed the food. The interior wouldn't win any awards for sure :D but the food makes up for it IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Ate in the https://www.theitaliankitchen.ie/ over the weekend (its in the Clayton) and it was really nice I have to say, wasn't waiting too long for food to come out (which is always handy with little ones!!) and decent portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

A little bird told me that Gourmet Food Parlour was about to open in Skerries.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Had a meal in Beef & Lobster in Malahide. They share a kitchen, and owner, with Bon Appetit. Very nice, though obviously limited menu, and pricey. We saw a few walk-ins turned away so glad we had a reservation. Music was a tad too loud although they turned it down when asked.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

See here...
    https://www.gourmetfoodparlour.com/restaurants/skerries

A menu full of burgers & wings & other dishes done well & cheaper in Ollie's/The Windmill, Blue Bar, 5Rock, The Salty Dog & The Brick House makes me wonder if we've hit peak "Bar & Grill" in Skerries?

And €8.50 for Granola?! The Tiger's back, baby!

Best of luck to them.

• Advertisement

I've never been to Gourmet Food Parlour for dinner, I see it more as a coffee/lunch type restaurant. There's no way I'd pay €8 for granola though!

Advertisement