Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Snow Storm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Temp is actually rising here! :rolleyes: From 3.3c 30 mins back to 3.6c now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Nice day out there! :D, just had a 15 minute walk in lashing rain and wind, while trying to manage a big unmbrella at the same time :rolleyes:

Bucking down rain here. Temp 3.5c and 992.4hPa.

Wind doesnt seem all that bad here at the moment.

Just listening to the local radio and two people have text in to say there are massive hailstones falling in Borris......hmm.

In Borris I hope my house is ok:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

spideog7 wrote: »
    Just looking at Mothmans graphs and the temperature drop looks pretty dramatic, it's not reflected in any of the MET's sites yet, presumably because their last update was 4 o'clock. Anyone want to share why it drops so dramatically, is it just that big low pulling in cold air ??

Thanks, it's interesting to follow these patterns and things :D
    Cold air being dragged down in the downdrafts along the front,but this time its a severe drop in temp,you dont see this too often nor the 120 viewers viewing this forum:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Stopped snowing completely now. Temp has actually risen to 0.6c
    Spits of drizzle in the air.

Carpenter wrote: »
    In Borris I hope my house is ok:confused::confused::confused:

So I heard on KCLR anyway, one texter said the hailstones were as big as golf balls (probably an exageration)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Harr she blows folks,

Look at the wrap of convection around the south of the core.

Thats where the severe winds and Blizzards will be :eek:

weathercheck, whats the chance of the snow hitting the bray area.(if there is any)

regards
    silverski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

No snow here down south. Dry in Mallow. Getting cold though.

viewimage.pl3.png
    Great squall line approaching west wales/cornwall now. Being discussed here
    The following thread might interest people too-http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=44565&st=170

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭homosapien

rc28 wrote: »

Classic!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

The wind is picking up here now, and it has turned colder. There is also some very heavy showers of rain falling as well, but seem to be bypassing my house at the moment, so i dont know if they are dropping sleet as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

silverski wrote: »
    Harr she blows folks,

Look at the wrap of convection around the south of the core.

Thats where the severe winds and Blizzards will be :eek:
    weathercheck, whats the chance of the snow hitting the bray area.(if there is any)

regards
    silverski

There's a chance everywhere tonight but it depends on where and how intense the showers are. Certainly not an impossibility:)

Ok I actually don't think my thermometer is broken as I've checked with two other people whose cars say 0-1c too. 0.6 still according to mine. Local variations are amazing considering Gonzo is still at 3c and I'm about 4 miles away from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭squonk

The Last Word **** stirring at the moment... or trying to. Looking to blame the storm now on global warming. Fair play to the chap they're interviewing, he shot it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ryanoneill2006

Very windy here now, still raining very heavy.. Bits of snow in the rain earlier. It's pretty wild out there already and this is the beginning!! Tonight should be interesting. Just caught Sky News weather and they are forecasting rain/sleet/snow for here tonight and they even mentioned blizzard conditions, You don't hear that very often. There are one are two things that are confusing me, maybe somebody could clarify why...

1. Met Eireann are only forecasting wind and occasional wintry showers later, when Sky News are saying Blizzard conditions in some areas.

2. Snow in the UK is only forecast for Scotland, rain for England/Wales, Don't they usually do better when it comes to snow than we do??

Sorry if they're obvious but I'm only a keen observer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

So I heard on KCLR anyway, one texter said the hailstones were as big as golf balls (probably an exageration)

Thats going to mix up the golfers up on the hill I am in Kilcoltrim plenty off cover there LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

According to this image snow should be begiining to fall from some of those showers already

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=53556

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭squonk

Looks like the front has gone through. Seeing a clearance here now with a touch of blue sky and a slack breeze, the calm before the storm obviously!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thunder Sleet at Casement at 17.00. Nice:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Emm I think some people think we have had the worst, I just called the Father to make sure he had petrol in the gennie and he said "ah sher the worst has passed now it awful for the last two hours", I explained it was going to get a lot lot worse.

Snowbie might be an idea to start a new thread or change the title of this to reflect the serious weather threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Villain wrote: »
    Snowbie might be an idea to start a new thread or change the title of this to reflect the serious weather threat.

Agreed.

Gone strangely quite here, rain stopped, sky somewhat clear and little or no wind. Temp not falling here, 3.8c

(I wish the dj on the radio would shut up with his 'terrible storm currently blowing through Carlow' :rolleyes:...........save it for later mate! :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Was whiteout conditions here for a while as the front passed. Higher fields beside me are white as is Scarr, its very nice to look at have to say. I'd guess the snow line here is approx 275 meters or so.
    Temp risen a couple of degrees since the front passed though , now 3.2°C

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Where is that Longfield?

Temp has risen here too- back up to 1.5c
    i think a new thread should be made to highlight the wind threat rather than snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm in Wicklow, Annamoe..at about 204 metres.

rc28, nothing stopping you or anyone starting a new tread if ye like ya know!, nothing ever never stopped WC in the past for sure ;)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Lads give us a mo,i'm just in the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

angry angry angry . . . I'm not in Ireland at the moment. . . anyway, apart from my whines I'm impressed with this AMAZING fall of temperature in the Midlands/East (some areas went from 10 to just above zero). For substantial snowfall wait for the subsequent colder air to enter (the -5 to -7 deg at 850)-with that the dew points will drop a good bit...then you can hope for accumulations even at ground levels...and p.s. the showers coming in from the west seem to be massive biat''es!:D Farewell from Rome (my second home....today an amazing max of 17,0 with clear blue skies)

• Advertisement

Ok new thread up http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54815734

Snowbie feel free to edit title etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement