Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Snow Storm

Options
  • 07-01-2008 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Tuesday night is beginning to look vicious,

Winds in the East coudl be sustained 50mph gusting 80mph with 850hpa temps
    @ -6c, dewpoints at -1c or 0c....

Rtavn481.png
    Rtavn482.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's still very borderline for snow, and me with a small advantage for snow in Louth. I can't see blizzards at sea level anyway. Cavan/Monaghan will get the snow if anywhere will I think.

The wind speeds could well be very high, and it's a night to stay in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It's still very borderline for snow, and me with a small advantage for snow in Louth. I can't see blizzards at sea level anyway. Cavan/Monaghan will get the snow if anywhere will I think.

The wind speeds could well be very high, and it's a night to stay in for.

The wind will be a good factor for bringing that snow to sea level.

Yes i agree will be borderline.

Temps expect to be 1/2 with dews of 0/-1c

Wind Speeds could be very high.

I have the damn flu:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Damn WC beat me to it. A very interesting rare setup tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Looks like high ground will have some very interesting weather!

Villain wrote: »
    Looks like high ground will have some very interesting weather!

Indeed, tomorrow night is a night to be on the Wicklow Mountains if you like whiteout conditions with gusts to 100mph :eek:

Looking at the latest data.

Wind gusts could reach 85mph at least tomorrow night, and a large swathe of
    70mph + gusts are likely.

Snow probably restricted to above 200m but certainly not excusively.

With such strong winds and temperatures of 1/2c and dp's of 0/-1c the snowline will be lower still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Be interesting to see what way the Met forecast this tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

UKMO have the low over scotland at midnight tomorrow, GFS have the low over NI at the same time. Maybe GFS is more accurate as its a later run? Conditions should be interesting anyway...

arctictree wrote: »
    Maybe GFS is more accurate as its a later run?
    Hard to say if it verifies.I'm tending towards a mix of all three myself
    Conditions should be interesting anyway...
    You know this already but you are in with a better chance than most on this forum.
    Lugnaquilla is certainly very white today too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think thre will be snow from this for Wickow Mountains, maybe hilly parts of north midlands and parts of Northern Ireland as well as alot of Scotland and Northwest England. I think most of us at lower levels will see cold rain and bits of sleet and wet snow mixed in with rain on coastlines. The wind will be more of an issue I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lugnaquilla is certainly very white today too.

Can you see it from your position?

The problem is that on days like today, the sun is very near the summit from my position, so all I see is the outline. Very hard to distinguish colors etc...

• Advertisement

Theres a beautifull view of it artictree as you drive along the cemetary road aka emoclew road in Arklow where the Bolands hardware store and the NCT car test centre is.
    (Mine passed \o/)

Anyhow,yes you can plainly see about two thirds of it is perfectly white.
    The bottom third isn't.

GFS paints a seriously worrying picture.

A vicious swathe of winds across the middle-northern portion of the country.

Rtavn361.png

If the 12z were to prove correct.

Across North Leinster/ Ulster/ North Midlands.

Windspeeds of mean 50/60mph gusting above 90mph.

Driving snow and Blizzards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Woohooo, bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,652 ✭✭✭squonk

LOL! Mind you I got little enough sleep last night with the high winds, wondering if one of my slates was thininkg of going walkies, not sure I could take another night of it, though if there was the white stuff involved, I'm sure it'd take my mind off of it though. Probably not much change in Skerries however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

That is lookin very vicious for parts of Ireland:eek:. Would be some damage done if that came off.

Also chance of blizzard conditions. What a great winter this is turning out to be. Love it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ryanoneill2006

Anybody catch lunchtime forecast on RTE? What are Met Eireann forecasting on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The weather at 1pm, but the 5pm is on now. And where did that new weather girl spring from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ryanoneill2006

Thanks for that Hal.. Never seen Ursula before, might tune into the weather more often!!! I've noticed that they are talking about rain, sleet & snow mainly in the Northeast. What do you guys think that the chances are of some sleet/snow in Dublin? We missed out last week and would love to see some snow!! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sky news gave rain, sleet and snow mainly for the northwest (higher ground) as well, better dryness towards the east, but a risk of tornado's so its gonna be very windy. I think the wind will be a much bigger feature than the temperature or the precipitation. BBC is giving rain for Dublin and wintry weather in the north west.

• Advertisement

UKM 12z is placing the low further north than the GFS

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Exact path will be hard to tie dwn but I'd think the more northerly track is likely.
    Thats mild, wet and stormy here though, snow very unlikely apart from the far north I think unless the models start putting it back south again (unlikely imho)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote: »
    Exact path will be hard to tie dwn but I'd think the more northerly track is likely.
    Thats mild, wet and stormy here though, snow very unlikely apart from the far north I think unless the models start putting it back south again (unlikely imho)

Untrue IMO

The closer the low is to us the more chance of the mild core to be over us.

For myself, the best postion would be over ulster with the mild core there and the cold air here.

There will be more chance of snow outside Ulster than in Ulster tomorrow night ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another false alarm frankly

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

There will be more chance of snow outside Ulster than in Ulster tomorrow night ;)
    Yeah, Scotland:p.

An interesting set up but again i think its a nowcast type (which have been interesting of late)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

mike65 wrote: »
    Another false alarm frankly

Mike.

such negativity:p

i'm confident there will be snow in the north west tomorrow night:D

saw the TV3 forecast, they are going for semi mild conditions tomorrow, 9C for Dublin and the South, 5/6C for the North West and Northern Ireland with showery outbreaks of rain and quite windy. BBC also giving us 9C for 2moro. Going by the TV the only area with a risk of snow is Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

These wild weather systems are always hard to forecast accurately, definitly will be a nowcast situation (just a nowcast of mild or milder here imho!).

I need a nights sleep..please let the wind settle a bit tonight!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I dont think i have ever seen such an inaccurate forecast from the Irish Met, were they using 5 day old data?

They had the center of the low over Dublin at midday tomorrow!!

About 12-18 hours early!

Absolutely terrible stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

hmm interestin weather report on bbc newsline goin for the severe winds and snow showin for Armagh and Down though still some uncertainty surroundin the snow. Probably just be hill snow with sleet to lower levels I would reckon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement