Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Snow Storm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭arctictree

dedon wrote: »
    Good chance of snow down south tonight so??? There is sleet at the moment in Mallow

I was just about to rubbish this as last time I looked it was 10c in Cork.

Now, it seems there is a huge temp variance across Cork:

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

5.2c in Macroom and 11.0c in Middleton and Dungarvan.

Looks like that front is really marking the line between the temps...

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭homosapien

arctictree wrote: »
    I was just about to rubbish this as last time I looked it was 10c in Cork.

Now, it seems there is a huge temp variance across Cork:

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

5.2c in Macroom and 11.0c in Middleton and Dungarvan.

Looks like that front is really marking the line between the temps...

A

Cork airport reported 4.0C at 14:00 today with heavy hail..wind picked up too died back a little now...thats a minima for the country as a whole for 14:00

Theres also thunder and lightning being detected now in the centre of the front in the heaviest precip through the north midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

squonk wrote: »
    Weathercheck, is there a good site out there that allows us to track the storm via synoptic chars or anything?

http://wind.met.fu-berlin.de/wind/main.php?lId=700

Click on satteliten on the left then film and play around with the dials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Eumetsat RGB airmass loop shows this thing in all it's rage. The huge push of high stratospheric cold air in red pushing under the lower warm air/cloud (green) and the thicker, higher cloud in colder air (blue) ahead of it...can see why ther'e some t-stomrs breaking along that front.

http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/SDDI/cgi/listImages.pl?m=prod,a=0,sa=9,pr=RGB,f=1,c=AIR,se=2,n=6,d=1,v=400,pp=0,t=200801081400#controls

It's the red air that will bring any wintry stuff....but the wind that's going to be produced as it tightens up is my main concern (lost a slate the other night)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Meteoalarm has all of Ireland on Awareness Level: Red

72Mph gust at Marathon - http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Thunder and lightning in Clondalkin. Couple of strikes.

Temp dropped from 9.2c to 4.3c in minutes as the rain fell.

988 hPa and falling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

When i started reading this thread i thought the weather was hardly that windy in Dublin and given that the forecasts were for this evening i wasn't expecting much. But in Swords anyway in the last 15 minutes the wind has picked up suddenly. Perhaps this is going to be a bit bad afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Nice day out there! :D, just had a 15 minute walk in lashing rain and wind, while trying to manage a big unmbrella at the same time :rolleyes:

Bucking down rain here. Temp 3.5c and 992.4hPa.

Wind doesnt seem all that bad here at the moment.

Just listening to the local radio and two people have text in to say there are massive hailstones falling in Borris......hmm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The temperature is dropping rapidly behind the front. Feels colder here then it did an hour ago. Wintry showers and very strong winds into the west soon. Snow showers inland later.

Temperature difference is 4C in Cork and still 10C in parts of the East. Thats an impressive drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Cold front passing through.

Severe winds will star arriving from 6pm, worst winds in the Dublin area around 11pm

latest GFS output show rapid intensification of a low pressure system coming at us for Thursday too..one to watch...at T +48hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Sleet mixed in with the very heavy rain, 2.5c

Harr she blows folks,

Look at the wrap of convection around the south of the core.

Thats where the severe winds and Blizzards will be :eek:

ukir_sat_200801081600.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Our second drenching of heavy rain showing as red/pink/white on the radar in 8 hours here in the north east. Streets are running with water. Seems to be a small hook shape in the 4pm image on the UKmet's doppler...here's hoping there's some fireworks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

We have sleet here now.

:eek::eek:
    Unbelievable temperature drop in last 15mins- now only 1.2c and it's snowing proper-no rain!
    I hope my thermo isn't broken but that's an amazing dip. I think the front is clearing and the really cold air has reached here.

Great stuff RC

Rain has turned icy here now, to sleet i would reckon.

Now 1.0c and the snow is still falling.However, the ground is so wet that it's only starting to stick to car rooves. The snow is a nice surprise though.

EDIT:Now 0.6c!:eek:

those convective showers just hitting western seaboard now..see met.ie radar...Valentia reporting hail shower at 16:00. Best of luck some of the temp drops sound promising for those of you hoping for snow later!

• Advertisement

Just to give people a heads up.

This storm has intensified much more than expected winds tonight are going to be very severe, gusts locally to 90mph and widely to 75mph, power outage and structural damage is likely.

Please take care.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still rain/sleet here yet rc28 is seeing snow and only a few miles away!!!

When is the temp going to stop dropping- it's now 0.1c and still snowing.The ground is totally sodden with flooding on the road and in the fields- any accumulation later tonight is very unlikely, here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Just to give people a heads up.

This storm has intensified much more than expected winds tonight are going to be very severe, gusts locally to 90mph and widely to 75mph, power outage and structural damage is likely.

Please take care.

Is there any update on where the most severe band of wind will be?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

3.1c here - sleet and rain.

Gonzo wrote: »
    still rain/sleet here yet rc28 is seeing snow and only a few miles away!!!

That's odd, i am in the middle of the countryside- perhaps urban heat effect near dunshaughlin? It's fully snow though and is doing it's best to stick to the cars but it's getting lighter now. What temperature are you at? I'm 0.2 currently- the temp drop has eased off it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Just looking at Mothmans graphs and the temperature drop looks pretty dramatic, it's not reflected in any of the MET's sites yet, presumably because their last update was 4 o'clock. Anyone want to share why it drops so dramatically, is it just that big low pulling in cold air ??

Thanks, it's interesting to follow these patterns and things :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

3C here and rain/sleet, im the countryside as well, about 1.5km east of dunshaughlin

Gonzo wrote: »
    3C here and rain/sleet

3c?? Maybe my thermo is broken but over on NW someone in dublin near the coast is reporting sleet turning to snow and 2c. How can Dunshaughlin be so warm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭squonk

Rain/Sleet here now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement