Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Snow Storm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

its snowing ere in donegal at the moment..too wet for it to ly though unless it gets heavier

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

shiibata wrote: »
    its snowing ere in donegal at the moment..too wet for it to ly though unless it gets heavier

Considering the cold air hasnt really arrived yet, that sure is a good sign:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Where in Donegal are you?

I'm at work in Letterkenny and the rain seems to be turning to sleet.

Considering the cold air hasnt really arrived yet, that sure is a good sign:D

Ye think its gonna get worse when cold air comes in:eek:, its got heavier now and it is lying now, whats left of snowman from saturday will be happy:D

smashey wrote: »

Gleann fhinne

• Advertisement

Gleann fhinne

There will be plenty of snow there. :)

was expecting a smart one, once i put that up

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Gleann fhinne

could it come down as far as sligo

was expecting a smart one, once i put that up
    Not at all. Manys a morning I have been there and noticed snow when the rest of us had rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Gleann fhinne
    That high ground then?

• Advertisement

I take it,thats on high ground?

Snowbie wrote: »
    That high ground then?
    I take it,thats on high ground?
    Fairly high alright.

It's snowing here in Letterkenny but not sticking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Between midnight and 9am seems to be the favoured time for snow. Heavy showers in the west with one or two getting across to the east. A dusting likely almost anywhere really. Dont expect much snow today during daylight - any snow atm should turn back to rain quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

I take it the midlands isn't looking likely for snow so....

God i love snow...make me feel like a child again!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭squonk

What time are we looking for the wind to rise at? It's breezy here right now but nothng spectacular. There's heave rain now in the west. Is that corresponding to the track of the low right now? I expect if it's a tight gradient that conditions might turn bad in the space of about a half hour later. What's happening in other parts of the country at the mo?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Storm really tightning up off the northwest coast.

A swathe of severe winds from Galway --> Dublin Northwards with gusts to 85mph will move in from the west towards late afternoon/evening.

Looks like a really vicious storm now.

Fairly high alright.

Stopped snowing well over an hour ago:(, whatever lay is not thawing away.. I live in the lowlands of the area:D..very calm ere, maybe too calm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

This should make interesting viewing through the day -
    http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=gb

offaly1 wrote: »
    I take it the midlands isn't looking likely for snow so....

God i love snow...make me feel like a child again!!!:p

The midlands is actually the most likely place to see snow tonight. Heavy showers and cold temperatures away from the coast. You probrably will see a dusting. Isnt Offaly the coldest county in the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

are you on high ground by any chance?
    this storm is going to be really vicious judging by how quickly it's intensifying. Scotland and Northern Ireland are in for a hammering

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭squonk

Weathercheck, is there a good site out there that allows us to track the storm via synoptic chars or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭homosapien

you would be somewhere between 60 and 100 metres above sea level going by the ordnance survey map Shiibata taking Welchtown as a reference!

homosapien wrote: »
    you would be somewhere between 60 and 100 metres above sea level going by the ordnance survey map Shiibata taking Welchtown as a reference!

I live 3 miles and rising past Welchtown..Was outside this last while putting sandbags on top of an old roof on a house beside ours.. sure is calm though ere

Seems to be a thunderstorm moving NE-ward, over Tipp at the moment. Surprised we haven't seen any posts about it yet.

Edit : looks like it's fizzled out.

Latest from MET :

08 January 2008 11:49

Today

Further rain this afternoon, heaviest and most persistent in parts of Munster and Leinster, with thunder in places. Scattered wintry showers following. Highest temperatures 4 to 10 degrees in a strengthening southwesterly wind. Becoming extremely windy or even stormy later this evening and tonight, with gusts between 100 and 150 km/hr.

Tonight

Continuing extremely windy for much of the night, with further showers - some of hail, sleet and snow, with some lying snow in places. Lowest temperatures 0 to 3 degrees.

RTE News
    Weather alert ahead of stormy conditions
    Tuesday, 8 January 2008 12:05
    Met Éireann has issued a weather alert warning of stormy conditions later today which will continue for much of tonight.

The most severe winds will be in Ulster, Connacht and north Leinster.

Gusts of 100 to 150km/h are being forecast, along with heavy rain in places, followed by showers of hail, sleet and snow.

AdvertisementMotorists are being advised that current extremely wet weather is making driving conditions very slippery.

Journey times are likely to be lengthened and drivers should give themselves plenty of time to get to their destination.

AA Roadwatch strongly advises motorists to reduce speed and drive with extra care.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

darkman2 wrote: »
    The midlands is actually the most likely place to see snow tonight. Heavy showers and cold temperatures away from the coast. You probrably will see a dusting. Isnt Offaly the coldest county in the country?

Birrrrrrrrrr:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Good chance of snow down south tonight so??? There is sleet at the moment in Mallow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

darkman2 wrote: »

Yep!! and i seem to be the coldest creature alive at the moment!!!:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement