Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to connect to Xbox live through a pc/laptop using wifi

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

madred006 wrote: »
    hi in relation to my pevious post I just turned off x box and on again and connected to xbox live updated console and its working perfectly very impressed because I had tried many times before without success and this time all seems to be perfect ,also able to use pc at same time and no change to speed etc etc thanks again

So you are using the new type of xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Hi senor......... no my xbox is 3 years old just have ethernet cable from console to desktop and dongle on always on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 flaminace123

im in a big pickle. when i right click the LAN or high-speed connection thing and then click properties there is no 'sharing' tab. i cant find a sharing tab anywhere. any suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

going mad here!
    last connected to xbox live a few months ago, via o2 usb dongle to pc, ethernet cable from pc to xbox 360, all fine and dandy.

since then i have changed to 3, and its a no go. 3 are no help, microsoft say it wont work via usb BB!

cant even connect to network nevermind internet.

help help help!!!!

console says its an ip prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭beardo81

jamesbil wrote: »
    going mad here!
    last connected to xbox live a few months ago, via o2 usb dongle to pc, ethernet cable from pc to xbox 360, all fine and dandy.

since then i have changed to 3, and its a no go. 3 are no help, microsoft say it wont work via usb BB!

cant even connect to network nevermind internet.

help help help!!!!

console says its an ip prob.

Nope the USB dongle won't plug straight into the xbox and work.

Did you change the 3 broadband settings to shared in your network and sharing settings? Should work then with a bit of messing round.

• Advertisement

not trying to plug usb modem into xbox, but connect via ethernet cable to pc which is connected to internet with usb dongle, worked before.
    sharing centre says its shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

jamesbil wrote: »
    not trying to plug usb modem into xbox, but connect via ethernet cable to pc which is connected to internet with usb dongle, worked before.
    sharing centre says its shared.

i had nothing but problems trying to get this to work...in the end my solutuion was:

- Use XP! it just works no problems.....plug it in, click on sharing, connect xbox - Done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 steaming

mgsrocks wrote: »
    I thought I would write a step by step guide on how to connect to Xbox live through a pc/laptop since many people are having trouble with it. There are many advantages to using this method but my favourite is that I can connect to Xbox Live wirelessly using my laptop. No need to fork out €80 euro on a wireless adapter.

This method will be explained using windows vista and eircom broadband with a netopia router. If your are using XP this guide will still work however the layout for your internet connections will be different.

You will need: An Ethernet cable (like the one included with your Xbox), a pc/laptop connected to the internet via wifi, and of course an Xbox.

Your first step will be to set your firewall to low. This is simple and was already explained here by Timans.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055207579

Next is to enable ICS.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Centre and then, on the left, click Manage network connections.

2. Right-click on your wireless connection, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Sharing tab and enable the 'allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection' option. Click ok.

Now connect the Ethernet cable to your pc and to your Xbox. Give it a minute to connect and then on your Xbox go to the system tab and click network settings. Next click 'test Xbox live connection'. If everything worked as it should the test should finish ok except the NAT settings will be set to strict.

This is the point where most people get stuck. Strict means that your router is not letting certain information through. You can still connect to Xbox live and play some games but other features will not work (voice chat, ranked games ECT...)

The only way to set NAT to open is to open certain ports on your router so the information will be allowed through (this is called port forwarding), however port forwarding will not work when you are connected through this method. The only way it will work is to bridge your wireless connection and you Local Area Connection.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Centre and then, on the left, click Manage network connections.

2. Right-click on your wireless connection, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Sharing tab and DISABLE the 'allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection' option. Click ok.

A NETWORK BRIDGE WILL NOT WORK WITH ICS ENABLED.

4. Disconnect for your internet connection (or switch of wifi if your laptop has a switch for it). YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BRIDE A CONNECTION IF YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET.

5. Highlight the Local Area Connection and the Wireless Network Connection, right click and either of them and select ‘bridge connection’. When complete you can reconnect to the internet.

6. Open any webpage just to make sure you can still connect to the internet.

Test your Xbox live connection again, just to make sure it is connecting. You NAT settings will still be set to strict, so now you must open the correct ports.

1. On your pc go to your router homepage (open internet explorer/firefox and go to 192.168.1.254).

2. Click custom services on the left and in the ‘service name’ dropdown box select ‘Xbox live games’. It will be near the bottom of the list. Click enable and in the ‘select host device’ dropdown box select the pc your Xbox is connected to. Click enable.

And you’re done. Test your Xbox live connection again just to be sure but your NAT settings should be set to open.

Let me know if your having any problems and ill try help.

Enjoy Xbox live!!!

Hi got wifi from 3 for my son for xmas & for d life of us we cant get it to work , it kept looking for a gateway , wat d hell is gate way & ip .. were totally lost , i have just read through what u have wrote, we will try it 2moro & hopefully we can get it 2 work , its all my son asked for for xmas .. cheers tanks for d step by step help ..

Hi got wifi from 3 for my son for xmas & for d life of us we cant get it to work , it kept looking for a gateway , wat d hell is gate way & ip .. were totally lost , i have just read through what u have wrote, we will try it 2moro & hopefully we can get it 2 work , its all my son asked for for xmas .. cheers tanks for d step by step help ..

That was exactly my prob, following the link i posted fixed it immediately.

James

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Hey sorry for the generic question but I'm having trouble connecting my xbox to my laptop for some reason today. Basically, my gold subscription expired a few months back so I haven't connected since, tried to connect again today but to no avail.

I've got a standard connection using an ethernet cable and 3 dongle. Its always worked in the past without any problems but I tried today and no matter what I do I keep getting an IP address error so it doesnt even get past the network test.

I tried some of the steps here like manually setting an IP on the xbox and I've messed about with various network settings on the laptop but still nothing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

FOR WINDOWS 7

to get to the allow other users to connect through this connection thing

When you get to network and sharing..left click on wireless network connection (your connections SSID) [Its in blue writing on the right side beside a green signal strength pic] then click properties..then sharing tab...............

ps... there will be wireless properties and properties.....make sure to click the properties not the wireless properties

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I can't even get the console to connect to the Internet! Driving me crazy. I get to the available networks screen on the Xbox and I get a message telling me that I have to connect the Ethernet cable, which I'm 90 per cent certain is connected. Any ideas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

this is odd....i tried this a while ago....couldnt get it to work.......

ive been using a cable to connect from my router to the xbox......and the nat settings wer bad...but it still worked

then today i plugged the cable into my xbox from my laptop
    then checked the connection
    it didnt work but suggestions came up on my xbox to restart the router then allow the xbox to change my ip (either from or to static...cant remember which)
    then i checked connection..and it worked perfect......

its a windows 7 laptop.....so maybe all you need to do is plug the cable into the laptop/360 and follow the on screen troubleshooting instructions.......or maybe im just lucky:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Isentropic102

:( How do I get this to work? Disaster.

Windows 7, ethernet cable, allow others to share connection.

Eircom router a few years old.

Advertisement