Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to connect to Xbox live through a pc/laptop using wifi

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

make sure u bridge ur connections, also make sure ip for lan and wifi is set to auto, then auto for xbox aswell, if that doesnt work u should try set it up static for lan and use same in the 360.

i just tried it today and it works fine

http://www.instructables.com/id/SVW2W7GFAQEDOCX/

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

9 times out of 10 an ip address fail is because ICS is not enables. Follow the first half of the guide and see if you can get it to work.

I doubt its a problem with the router settings, if it was it would fail at Xbox live or NAT test.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

One thing you have to remember is that your pc or laptop are also powered on while playing the xbox 360 on live.
    So you ESB costs are going to increase.
    For the sake of €64 euro it's worth it to get the wireless adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

how much more electricity would one be wasting? i like to alternate between pc and gaming anyway as they will be side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭smndly

Can anyone give a step by step for doing this on a Macbook?? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Placebo wrote: »
    how much more electricity would one be wasting? i like to alternate between pc and gaming anyway as they will be side by side.

All depends on your pc.
    For mine below I'm currently using it connected to my xbox for live.
    It'll cost well over twice the wireless adapter to run this at idle over 6 months easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Think i might invest in the wireless adapter. It works well through the ICS just having the PC on for that, seems like a bit of a waste, even tho its is my HTPC and is sitting very close to the xbox.. need to evaluate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I bought a wireless adaptor and have Eircom broadband but for the life of me cannot get it going. I searched the Xbox live forum and everything and still no joy.

Is there any helpline i can ring so someone can talk me through setting it up.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Do you not get a wireless adaptor with the elite?

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    Do you not get a wireless adaptor with the elite?

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Had this working last night so cheers.

Thing is though that when I unplugged the lan cable from the lappy I got limited/no connectivity. Kept messing around with the ip addresses on each and now can't get it work.

Can't remember the original settings I used anyway so anyone know the correct addresses for BT?

I'm also using the bt modem connected to a US robotics router if that'll change the settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭beardo81

Hi, I just bought a Wireless Router (IEEE 802.11n/g/b Wireless Router) and was wondering will it be compatible with the Xbox Wireless adapter or the Belkin 802.11g Wireless Ethernet Adapter? I bought an N rated adapter 'cos I thought the more speed the better but then noticed the Xbox and Belkin adapters are G rated. Will they still be compatible? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I've gone through the guide to the best of my ability but it would seem I'm still messing up somewhere as I cant get my xbox IP test to pass. I'll keep on trying though.

Am I right in thinking that the setup I need is something like this:
    Eircom wirelss broadband >> Laptop >> Linksys wirelss-G router >> xbox 360?

Thanks for any (more) help provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Hi,

I've followed all of the steps in the first post and still no joy. The Xbox will connect to the Internet but it won't connect to Xbox Live. :confused:

I never set up a Silver Account or anything when I first got the Xbox so this is my first time trying it. Would that have anything to do with it??

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Hi,

I've followed the guide and everything was going fine until step 6, where I have to test my Xbox Live connection again. I have already bridged the connections and done everything else as detailed and it all worked but now it fails at the first step in connecting and it says it cannot obtain an IP Address...I've tried to go back back into 'Manage Network Connections' and make sure that the internet sharing connection is enabled but the Sharing tab has disappeared for some reason and now I'm stuck!

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :pac:

Hi,

I've followed the guide and everything was going fine until step 6, where I have to test my Xbox Live connection again. I have already bridged the connections and done everything else as detailed and it all worked but now it fails at the first step in connecting and it says it cannot obtain an IP Address...I've tried to go back back into 'Manage Network Connections' and make sure that the internet sharing connection is enabled but the Sharing tab has disappeared for some reason and now I'm stuck!

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! :pac:

If you bridged the connections then you cant use the sharing tab. Delete the bridge and it should reappear. Make sure its disabled before you create the netwrok bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SASR

I can't even use ICS, I just get an error message when I try. Bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 McKennsy

I'm using the wireless adaptor and I'm having trouble connecting to live. I've gone through a number of online guides and most of them say the same thing

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
    Click the local area network (LAN) connection , and then under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
    On the Advanced tab, click to select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.

The problem is I cant find the Network Tasks button, and therefore the Allow other network users to connect option. Every guide says to do the same thing so I cant understand why I cant find the option.

One of the guides told me to download an update from xbox.com and update my xbox. The problem is that the xbox doesnt seem to recognise the update. It tells me there is a mixed media disc in the try, but it wont access it.

When I run through the test page I get through the IP Connection and the other options, when it gets to the second last test, marked X-Box live it tells me that there is an update available for live and if I dont download it now I will be signed out of Live ( I didnt even realise I was signed in to it without a connection ). It goes to an page which has a status bar that should show the update being downloaded but nothing happens and I get a message saying to check my network connections ( which I had just done ) and then refers me to the xbox.xom/support website.

Very frustrating.

Any opinions?

McKennsy wrote: »
    I'm using the wireless adaptor and I'm having trouble connecting to live. I've gone through a number of online guides and most of them say the same thing

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
    Click the local area network (LAN) connection , and then under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
    On the Advanced tab, click to select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.

The problem is I cant find the Network Tasks button, and therefore the Allow other network users to connect option. Every guide says to do the same thing so I cant understand why I cant find the option.

One of the guides told me to download an update from xbox.com and update my xbox. The problem is that the xbox doesnt seem to recognise the update. It tells me there is a mixed media disc in the try, but it wont access it.

When I run through the test page I get through the IP Connection and the other options, when it gets to the second last test, marked X-Box live it tells me that there is an update available for live and if I dont download it now I will be signed out of Live ( I didnt even realise I was signed in to it without a connection ). It goes to an page which has a status bar that should show the update being downloaded but nothing happens and I get a message saying to check my network connections ( which I had just done ) and then refers me to the xbox.xom/support website.

Very frustrating.

Any opinions?

Instead of clicking into local area network (LAN) connection at the start, go into 'Wireless Network Connection' and uncheck the box that says 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection'.

Now when you go back to your LAN connection you should be able to enable ICS.

As for the xbox live test failing you need to set your firewall to low:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055207579

Let me know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 McKennsy

Let me know how it goes.

I'm not sure how I did it, but I managed to get online with it. It had something to do with the PPPE code ( or whatever it's called).

Thanks for the help anyway. Losing your achievements is a balls, starting with 0 is a bit annoying. I'm not to pushed about them myself, but by checking some forums people seem obsessed with them.

On a related note, where is the best place to buy points?. I was told to avoid shops like crazy because they cost so much.

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement

mgsrocks wrote: »
    If you bridged the connections then you cant use the sharing tab. Delete the bridge and it should reappear. Make sure its disabled before you create the netwrok bridge.

But so I not need ICS enable to play online no? This whole thing has me very confused! I tried a different method that I read online, which involved port forwarding and stuff and I totally messed up the internet for a few days so I'm afraid to go near it now! Thanks for your help tough :o

On a seperate note, I have Xbox live running via the ethernet cable into my router however I can't get Halo 3 to play online now, it worked before but now whenever I go into matchmaking it loads everything up fine, lists the other players (I can even chat to them for a second), loads the level and then says "Restarting search.." and goes back to the matchmaking screen and tries to find new players. Now, I've heard abou this happening the odd time for whatever reasons but I've tried everything and can't get a game! I also can't even play the solo campaign offline now so I'm wondering if it's my disc maybe? :confused:

But so I not need ICS enable to play online no? This whole thing has me very confused! I tried a different method that I read online, which involved port forwarding and stuff and I totally messed up the internet for a few days so I'm afraid to go near it now! Thanks for your help tough :o

On a seperate note, I have Xbox live running via the ethernet cable into my router however I can't get Halo 3 to play online now, it worked before but now whenever I go into matchmaking it loads everything up fine, lists the other players (I can even chat to them for a second), loads the level and then says "Restarting search.." and goes back to the matchmaking screen and tries to find new players. Now, I've heard abou this happening the odd time for whatever reasons but I've tried everything and can't get a game! I also can't even play the solo campaign offline now so I'm wondering if it's my disc maybe? :confused:

If you set it up via ICS then you cant open the NAT settings. If its set up via a network bridge then the NAT can be set to open, however a bridge cant be set up if ICS in enabled.

I had the same networking problem with Halo 3 since the NAT settings werent open, but since you cant play single player it must be the disc.

EDIT: A lot of guides about port forwarding tell you to set up a static IP address. This is not needed (but helpful to have), if you mess it up it will knock out your internet connection which is propably what happened to you. Just leave everything automatic (on your xbox and pc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭zoos

Does anybody know how to do this on a mac to make this work?

If you set it up via ICS then you cant open the NAT settings. If its set up via a network bridge then the NAT can be set to open, however a bridge cant be set up if ICS in enabled.

I had the same networking problem with Halo 3 since the NAT settings werent open, but since you cant play single player it must be the disc.

EDIT: A lot of guides about port forwarding tell you to set up a static IP address. This is not needed (but helpful to have), if you mess it up it will knock out your internet connection which is propably what happened to you. Just leave everything automatic (on your xbox and pc)

Ok cheers, so I'm going to give this another bash as I'm having Halo withdrawal symptoms. I've bridged the connections as explained and now I'm stuck on the last step where I go to the router page on my browser as I'm using a different router to the one used in your example.
    I'm using a BT Voyager 2110 Router (there's a few screenshots of its router page here http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/Voyager2110/default.htm ) and there's no otpion for Custom Services so I'm a bit lost..anyone used this router successfully?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Anyone have any idea how to change the MTU? I think I need to increase it but have no idea as to how to achieve this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shutturface

im on my router website and i cant find what i need to do please help me there is no custom services thing

im on my router website and i cant find what i need to do please help me there is no custom services thing

Whats the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 heist00

I thought I would write a step by step guide on how to connect to Xbox live through a pc/laptop since many people are having trouble with it. There are many advantages to using this method but my favourite is that I can connect to Xbox Live wirelessly using my laptop. No need to fork out €80 euro on a wireless adapter.

This method will be explained using windows vista and eircom broadband with a netopia router. If your are using XP this guide will still work however the layout for your internet connections will be different.

You will need: An Ethernet cable (like the one included with your Xbox), a pc/laptop connected to the internet via wifi, and of course an Xbox.

Your first step will be to set your firewall to low. This is simple and was already explained here by Timans.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055207579

Next is to enable ICS.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Centre and then, on the left, click Manage network connections.

2. Right-click on your wireless connection, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Sharing tab and enable the 'allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection' option. Click ok.

Now connect the Ethernet cable to your pc and to your Xbox. Give it a minute to connect and then on your Xbox go to the system tab and click network settings. Next click 'test Xbox live connection'. If everything worked as it should the test should finish ok except the NAT settings will be set to strict.

This is the point where most people get stuck. Strict means that your router is not letting certain information through. You can still connect to Xbox live and play some games but other features will not work (voice chat, ranked games ECT...)

The only way to set NAT to open is to open certain ports on your router so the information will be allowed through (this is called port forwarding), however port forwarding will not work when you are connected through this method. The only way it will work is to bridge your wireless connection and you Local Area Connection.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Centre and then, on the left, click Manage network connections.

2. Right-click on your wireless connection, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Sharing tab and DISABLE the 'allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection' option. Click ok.

A NETWORK BRIDGE WILL NOT WORK WITH ICS ENABLED.

4. Disconnect for your internet connection (or switch of wifi if your laptop has a switch for it). YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BRIDE A CONNECTION IF YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET.

5. Highlight the Local Area Connection and the Wireless Network Connection, right click and either of them and select ‘bridge connection’. When complete you can reconnect to the internet.

6. Open any webpage just to make sure you can still connect to the internet.

Test your Xbox live connection again, just to make sure it is connecting. You NAT settings will still be set to strict, so now you must open the correct ports.

1. On your pc go to your router homepage (open internet explorer/firefox and go to 192.168.1.254).

2. Click custom services on the left and in the ‘service name’ dropdown box select ‘Xbox live games’. It will be near the bottom of the list. Click enable and in the ‘select host device’ dropdown box select the pc your Xbox is connected to. Click enable.

And you’re done. Test your Xbox live connection again just to be sure but your NAT settings should be set to open.

Let me know if your having any problems and ill try help.

Enjoy Xbox live!!!

Hey guys, all your help has been awesome. you are all so savvy. I have a xbox wireless connector and i have my laptop connected through the bridge discussed above. However, on both my MTU keeps failing.

I live in a condo with free wireless internet. they use a local ISP and Cisco 1811 router. My IT guy has plugged in MTU numbers from an offsite location from 1365-1500 and currently has it on the ISP recomandation of 1454. I know that some routers are incompatiable with xbox live, but Cisco doesnt know the answer when i call them about this particular router. Cisco makes Lynksys so i could only imagine it would be ok? Because he is offsite there is only one thing we have not done and that is to power cycle the router. Does anyone think this will be the answer?

I was hopin for some reason I would be able to get MTU confirmed by bridging but it seems like I am running into the same problem with the bridge as I am the xbox wireless connector.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do to make MTU work?
    Does anyone think the modem/router power cycle will work? help help help, thank u

Whats the router?

Hey MGS, I've the same problem as my router has no custom services icon, any chance you could help? My router is a BT Voyager 2110 and there's a few screenshots of the router page here http://portforward.com/english/route...10/default.htm .

Cheers in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Dunno if it's been posted before but I found these videos very handy.

Connecting using a Mac :

or

Advertisement