Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to connect to Xbox live through a pc/laptop using wifi

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭danteXXI

Would I be able to connect to Xbox live using a USB modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Anyone tried gaming over mobile broadband? I thought it would be an absolute joke, and tried it for a laugh yesterday, i had an almost totally lag free game of bad company online! It works great!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

0ubliette wrote: »
    Anyone tried gaming over mobile broadband? I thought it would be an absolute joke, and tried it for a laugh yesterday, i had an almost totally lag free game of bad company online! It works great!

A friend of mine does it with o2. Most of the time it works ok but there will be random disconnects...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 clusterfuk

I am hoping that someone can help me with connecting xbox elite to window Home Edition to use as a media centre idea, or do i need the window media edition computer?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Bit of a different situation here.

My bro keeps using this however he just downloads everything he sees because he can. So what ports does this use because I'm gonna have to block it before he zooms past our download cap :(

Thanks

• Advertisement

Which ISP are you with? Some of them dont enforce the cap, i have never been charged for going over it with eircom.

Xbox live uses:
    * TCP 80
    * UDP 88
    * UDP 3074
    * TCP 3074
    * UDP 53
    * TCP 53

Or you could just set your router firewall to high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭naughto

0ubliette wrote: »

i have xbox live through 02mobile broadband its works great as long as u are inside the coverage area i just use the einternet port on my laptop and the same on the xbox,clicked on the tab to share the internet through this computer clicked ok to every thing that comes up.reset my connection with 02 so the new setting would kick in.connected up again and it worked a treat.

i see a lot of people are afraid of having ther firewall so low.i have mine turned off as i do not see the point of it.there is a more of a chance of people geting your infomation when u pay for any thing with a credit card in a shop resturant that there is from hackers geting it from through your laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Just to say tried this on an Eircom broadband connection and it worked perfectly so thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 maryjohn

Hey all..

This is perfectly work no matter.. i have try it and get complete satisfaction,
    hey before this i get another way from some websites it's also good, both are working well and satified.. Now, it's depend on u from which way u wanna go.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

maryjohn wrote: »
    Hey all..

This is perfectly work no matter.. i have try it and get complete satisfaction,
    hey before this i get another way from some websites it's also good, both are working well and satified.. Now, it's depend on u from which way u wanna go.. ;)

notlolwutpearuw5_2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Is there any way to avoid lag using this setup? I have my 360 connected to my PC via ethernet and I'm using Internet Connection Sharing, communicating with the wireless router downstairs

I usually get intermittent lag spikes when playing games which is quite annoying. Anything I can do?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭X_X

I am able to connect my xbox to the internet... but when i try and get onto it... It says that I need to update the console...

I know that this update is for the new dashboard that was introduced last year, but when i try to download it it doesn't let me...

Any ideas on how to bypass the download and get onto Live??

X_X wrote: »
    I am able to connect my xbox to the internet... but when i try and get onto it... It says that I need to update the console...

I know that this update is for the new dashboard that was introduced last year, but when i try to download it it doesn't let me...

Any ideas on how to bypass the download and get onto Live??

Are you with eircom? Have you set your router firewall to low?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭X_X

I was but now we have changed companies... I haven't tried since we changed

X_X wrote: »
    I was but now we have changed companies... I haven't tried since we changed

Its a common problem with the eircom router. If the firewall is not set to low then the live updates cuttout just as it starts.

Change your firewall settings and see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭tribesman44

hey there. can this be done with satellite internet? i have no modem or router. the wire is dropped from the roof and connects to a power supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Soullessaxe

Im in student accommodation and whenever i try to connect to xbox live it says my MTU settings are too low, but i have no access to the router other than the ethernet plug in the wall (the network is not wireless). Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

i just found out my internet is wireless. for some stupid reason i thought it was satellite. the issue i think is firewall or NAT settings. im going to mess with it in a few. ill let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tentpole

mgsrocks wrote: »
    I thought I would write a step by step guide on how to connect to Xbox live through a pc/laptop since many people are having trouble with it. There are many advantages to using this method but my favourite is that I can connect to Xbox Live wirelessly using my laptop. No need to fork out €80 euro on a wireless adapter.

This method will be explained using windows vista and eircom broadband with a netopia router. If your are using XP this guide will still work however the layout for your internet connections will be different.

You will need: An Ethernet cable (like the one included with your Xbox), a pc/laptop connected to the internet via wifi, and of course an Xbox.

Your first step will be to set your firewall to low. This is simple and was already explained here by Timans.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055207579

Next is to enable ICS.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Centre and then, on the left, click Manage network connections.

2. Right-click on your wireless connection, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Sharing tab and enable the 'allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection' option. Click ok.

Now connect the Ethernet cable to your pc and to your Xbox. Give it a minute to connect and then on your Xbox go to the system tab and click network settings. Next click 'test Xbox live connection'. If everything worked as it should the test should finish ok except the NAT settings will be set to strict.

This is the point where most people get stuck. Strict means that your router is not letting certain information through. You can still connect to Xbox live and play some games but other features will not work (voice chat, ranked games ECT...)

The only way to set NAT to open is to open certain ports on your router so the information will be allowed through (this is called port forwarding), however port forwarding will not work when you are connected through this method. The only way it will work is to bridge your wireless connection and you Local Area Connection.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Centre and then, on the left, click Manage network connections.

2. Right-click on your wireless connection, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Sharing tab and DISABLE the 'allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection' option. Click ok.

A NETWORK BRIDGE WILL NOT WORK WITH ICS ENABLED.

4. Disconnect for your internet connection (or switch of wifi if your laptop has a switch for it). YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BRIDE A CONNECTION IF YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET.

5. Highlight the Local Area Connection and the Wireless Network Connection, right click and either of them and select ‘bridge connection’. When complete you can reconnect to the internet.

6. Open any webpage just to make sure you can still connect to the internet.

Test your Xbox live connection again, just to make sure it is connecting. You NAT settings will still be set to strict, so now you must open the correct ports.

1. On your pc go to your router homepage (open internet explorer/firefox and go to 192.168.1.254).

2. Click custom services on the left and in the ‘service name’ dropdown box select ‘Xbox live games’. It will be near the bottom of the list. Click enable and in the ‘select host device’ dropdown box select the pc your Xbox is connected to. Click enable.

And you’re done. Test your Xbox live connection again just to be sure but your NAT settings should be set to open.

Let me know if your having any problems and ill try help.

Enjoy Xbox live!!!

nice guide, nice lesson

tentpole wrote: »
    nice guide, nice lesson

cheers. i got mine working. was in touch with airwire and they installed some stuff on their end and now im able to plug directly in. i thought i had satellite, but turns out it was wireless :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Im in student accommodation and whenever i try to connect to xbox live it says my MTU settings are too low, but i have no access to the router other than the ethernet plug in the wall (the network is not wireless). Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

which service provider do you use for broadband, and which router? if it's a Netopia router, try going to 192.168.1.254 on your laptop when plugged in, and enable Xbox Live Games under Custom Services (although you will have to have Xbox plugged in to ethernet and turned on to do this, so you'll need to use an ethernet hub or something)

Also, set your router firewall to Low then, save changes and off you go. Hope this works for you! Although, being in student accommodation, I can foresee problems!

edit: tentpole's post above explains the NAT setting also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 morriford

I am currently using a BT Voyager 2110 for wireless Internet around the house.
    I have seen ads for a new Xbox 360 Wireless N Adapter & I am thinking of getting a new N Router, unfortunetly I am pretty ignorant in all things PC.
    Can anybody tell me will I be able to connect the router straight into the Voyager (it is a modem/router combo) or will I need to get a new modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭moikey

I am getting a XBOX for xmas and i have an extra wireless router, will i be able to connect the xbox to that and then to my laptop or my wireless downstairs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The ip address in the OP won't work for me, I'm using Vodafone wireless, anyone have any other IP address' that will bring me to the homepage thingy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 controlfreak83

I am having loads of trouble with my xbox360 and UPC (like everyone else it seems) wireless connnection. I will try this with the laptop first and then come back if it doesnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 controlfreak83

Right i get this far in the step by step and i cant go any futher

"Click the Sharing tab and enable the 'allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection' option. Click ok"

There is no share on my UPC connection. Are there anything i am missing?

Right i get this far in the step by step and i cant go any futher

"Click the Sharing tab and enable the 'allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection' option. Click ok"

There is no share on my UPC connection. Are there anything i am missing?

Instead of clicking into local area network (LAN) connection at the start, go into 'Wireless Network Connection' and uncheck the box that says 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection'.

Now when you go back to your LAN connection you should be able to enable ICS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

How do I change my NAT settings? The number in the OP for it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Falling at first hurdle here, when I, in Wireless Network Connection Properties, click the 'allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection' , the following message appears when I click ok:
    ''An error occured while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.
    Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled.
    A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing.''
    Can anyone help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 awbenny

this is the best info i could have asked for..
    JUst joined boards.ie today and already think its quality

Advertisement