Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to connect to Xbox live through a pc/laptop using wifi

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Hey MGS, I've the same problem as my router has no custom services icon, any chance you could help? My router is a BT Voyager 2110 and there's a few screenshots of the router page here http://portforward.com/english/route...10/default.htm .

Cheers in advance!

Cant test this bacause iv never done it with that router....

Click the Advanced link near the left side of the page.

Click the Configuration link near the left side of the page.

You should now see a new menu. In this new menu, click Virtual Server.

Click the Port Forwarding link near the top of the page.

Click the Add button near the right side of the page.
    Put a dot into the User Defined radio button.

Name it XBox Live Games.

Forward from: ALL

Forward to: IP of xbox (find it in your xbox network settings...192.168.1.xxx)

Protocol 1 TCP/UDP Enter 3074 for all boxes on that line
    Protocol 2 UDP Enter 88 for all boxes on that line

Click apply/save and i hope that does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shanebrk

Can anybody shed some more light on the MTU issue. I have the usual eircom wireless router. the 2247-nwg. Xbox live needs a minimum setting of 1364 but i cant find how to change the setting in the routers setting page. i have all the ports forwarded and i'm so close getting this to work

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Scotchie

Hey Whipping Boy,
    this page shows where to access the MTU setting for your router:

http://www.newnet.co.uk/onlinehelp/bt-voyager-2110.php

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cayenne2002

Guys, i'm having a terrible time trying to connect my xbox to xlive. i've connected xbox and laptop with wireless, enabled ICS in LAN with Wireless Network Connection - xbox fails tests and writes it can't obtain IP from router or modem. disabled ICS in LAN, went to Wireless Network Connection and enabled ICS there - same problem with no IP. rebooted lap and xbox many times and still no luck. please, help

Guys, i'm having a terrible time trying to connect my xbox to xlive. i've connected xbox and laptop with wireless, enabled ICS in LAN with Wireless Network Connection - xbox fails tests and writes it can't obtain IP from router or modem. disabled ICS in LAN, went to Wireless Network Connection and enabled ICS there - same problem with no IP. rebooted lap and xbox many times and still no luck. please, help

spent 3 hours and solved it by putting IP manually, passed into internet but now it doesn't connect to xlive saying current network configuration (type of IP addresses conversion) has to be changed to open configuration for conversion. tried to switch of firewall but it didn't help. any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Scotchie

cayenne2002,

have you "bridged" the wireless & local area connections on the laptop?
    If so, you need to make sure the IP you have assigned to the XBox is in the same subnet as the IP address for the bridge. Then forward the ports on your router to the IP Address of the XBox.

Also, make sure your router has "NAT" enabled.

I had a similar problem, turned out to be corrupt firmware on my router, resetting to factory defaults and re-configuring it fixed it.

when i enabled ICS on laptop it automatically assigned itself to 198.168.0.1 and i accordingly entered 198.168.0.2 on xbox. it worked and i passed through internet until Xbox Live test. now when i assign 198.168.0.2 in enabled NAT (DMZ at my D-Link router) it says only addresses within 198.168.1.1-124 can be assigned. but when i put any address within this range in xbox it doesn't enter internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

2. Right-click on your wireless connection, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Sharing tab and enable the 'allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection' option. Click ok.

when i right click on properties it does not give me this option on eircom broadband netopia wireless router help

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Still have no joy on this...:(

I have enabled Sharing internet ..but still the IP comes up as failed??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 timmyG

Is it possible to connect your xbox 360 to your router using a ethernet cable and connect to xbox live? Is is easy to set up?

• Advertisement

timmyG wrote: »
    Is it possible to connect your xbox 360 to your router using a ethernet cable and connect to xbox live? Is is easy to set up?

Thats prop the easiest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

Still have no joy on this...:(

I have enabled Sharing internet ..but still the IP comes up as failed??

Try bridging the connections. it worked with my ds. then i ruined it somehow.:( i'll get it working again someday!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

i tried the guide and using got it working using the bridging fine for the internet, all of the tests pass on the xbox. However the main thing i want this working for is to stream music/videos from my laptop to the xbox but then laptop isnt being detected.

In wmp the xbox comes up and ive allowed sharing but its still not working, is it possible to do this with an ics/shared connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I can sign online to buy and download stuff but I cannot play online. Did I do something wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I'm in the middle of doing this now with my Macbook.. Every step is causing me huge hassle!

My latest (and I'm nearly proud to get this far) problem is with the MTU.. I've adjusted my router, apparently needs 1365, gave it that, then 1400, then 1500, it still fails the test.. What am I missing? I think maybe the port forwarding is my only option?

Can't wait to see how hard the next level is, I love this 'gaying' experience!

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I can sign online to buy and download stuff but I cannot play online. Did I do something wrong?

Think its your NAT settings, whats it coming up as during the network test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Will any Ethernet cable do the trick or is there a specific 360 cable? I didn't get one with mine, it came second-hand :/

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Will any Ethernet cable do the trick or is there a specific 360 cable? I didn't get one with mine, it came second-hand :/

Any will do, I think on the old xbox it had to be a crossover cable, but not the case with the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Any will do, I think on the old xbox it had to be a crossover cable, but not the case with the 360.

You're right, any cable will do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

I just had a quick read. So you can hook up your xbox totally wireless with out buying the XBOX 360 WIRELESS ADAPTER?

• Advertisement

As long as you got a pc or laptop with wifi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

mgsrocks wrote: »
    Think its your NAT settings, whats it coming up as during the network test?

Hi. Thanks for your help. I have it working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Right, a few questions:

1. Do I enter the ip/dns stuff manually or leave to automatic (where there are 4 boxes, two on each page which you can switch between when setting up the network)

2. I tried before, got as far as connecting to XBL and it came up about the nat type and it being static? Went onto the Netopia router, set-up XBL in the custom service and then clicked static nat and thought it would all run smoothly (it didnt) I followed all the steps... bridging and all.

No I cant even get it to connect to the network because I kept mucking around with the network settings :(

Is there anyone who can help?
    If at all possible it would be a damm sight handier to message me on msn about it during the day (only time I can set it up, work at nights)

davidjamesmcginley@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whenever I try to do this:
    3. Click the Sharing tab and enable the 'allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection' option. Click ok.
    It tells me I have to choose an option from the drop down menu, so I choose Local Area Network because that seems the most appropriate, the only other options are to do with VMware, then I get an error that says "Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled, a LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing"

I have no idea what to do, can anyone help please.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

not completely related to this but

where is the cheapest and best place to get a 360 internet wireless adapter?

Trilla wrote: »
    not completely related to this but

where is the cheapest and best place to get a 360 internet wireless adapter?

Smyths for €50

http://www.toys.ie/Wireless-Bridge-Xbox-360-!C08082-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=b192206f-b67f-4698-a020-33739fb5f565

Reserve online for free, then pick it up instore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DavidMcC1989

Thanks very much to the OP for this walkthrough, it's works great for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I'm having trouble setting up my Xbox live connection via my laptop and Vodafone 3G modem. The failure in the "Test Xbox live Connection" occurs at the MTU test.

I don't know if this is related to the MTU issue but for the Media test connection it fails at PC selected. I do have Media player 11 setup to share via the library and the firewall settings have taken Media player into account on this too. Even when i removed the Xbox from Media player and tried adding an extender via Media Cente it still didn't work.

But I am at a loss what I need to change for the MTU part to work. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ordin73

I had my xbox running through my laptop... but then it stopped working..:(
    I have tried to reset and get it working again but with no success.
    I was wondering if I could reset my laptop wi-fi settings back to where they started I could follow the guide again and get this working?
    Can anyone help???

My Thanks to anyone who thinks they could help me out with this!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Alright lads and lasses.

I've been wanting to try this for some time but as I'm not great with computers I'm abit paraniod about security risks etc with trying this method.

Is there anyway of resetting everything if things go wrong?

To anyone who says I should just buy the adapter if I'm so worried about it, €80 is too much for me to fork out.

Thanks for any replies.

Advertisement