Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to connect to Xbox live through a pc/laptop using wifi

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭hello_there_jim

ive set the firewall to low, clicked "allow users to share this connection blah blah" and done the serbice name thingy, ive connected to XBL a few times but then it cuts off int he middle of the game....when i do the test it says the NAT is set to strict..how do i change it, even though i thought it changed to open when you change the service name?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

ive set the firewall to low, clicked "allow users to share this connection blah blah" and done the serbice name thingy, ive connected to XBL a few times but then it cuts off int he middle of the game....when i do the test it says the NAT is set to strict..how do i change it, even though i thought it changed to open when you change the service name?

Did you bridge the connections?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Since none of the steps here[or elsewhere]worked for me, I was thinking:
    My internet connection is going into a router, which then supplies wireless internet around the house.

I have a spare router. Is there anyway I can get xbox live to work by, pluging an ethernet cable from my computer to my spare router, then one from my spare router to the xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

Is there anyway you can connect to xbox live by using an ethernet cable into the laptop and then using the laptop as a wireless modem and I have the wireless adaptor for the xbox. For various reasons I can't connect it straight using the the ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭he man rugger

Hi, I'm with Eircom and have the router set up to play xbox games. I had it set up without the bridge but my online play was limited. When I put both the wireless and LAN connections onto a bridge however the internet on my laptop won't work in any shape or manner and xbox live won't connect at all. Any suggestions? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭he man rugger

Hi, I'm with Eircom and have the router set up to play xbox games. I had it set up without the bridge but my online play was limited. When I put both the wireless and LAN connections onto a bridge however the internet on my laptop won't work in any shape or manner and xbox live won't connect at all. Any suggestions? Thanks

Anyone? Please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Mark92

Anyone? Please!

have a look through this and see if it helps. http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/support/xbox360/connecttolive/icsconnection.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 controlfreak83

I really think i have tired everything now. I ended up buying xbox's wireless router for 80 euro. (for the black N one) It still wont connect at all!

So i will tell you all what i have done, and see if there is anything left.

Right so, Connecting to my pc first. My pc is connected up to my tv. Thats how we use it. Its a dell, with Vista on it. It is connected wirelessly by a linksys N adapter that is connected by usb.

I enabled ICS and the xbox never connected at all, not even half way, nothing!

I disabled it and tried to enable a bridge between my lan and wireless connection. nothing!

Reagrds my router its a Netgear wgr614v9 , my interent is with UPC.

i have disables the SPi firewall and turned the NAT filtering to open.

I have ports 3074, 88 and 53 open.

My xbox360 is an elite, it sees my UPC wireless router as its name comes up , it just wont connect wirelessly. My Wii and PS3 all connect ok.

I have connected it via the pc by both usb and ethernet.

I will do ANYTHING at this point to get it fixed... buy a new router (only if i know its going to work 100%) Will pay someone to fix it (if only i knew someone) I am desperate. I have 2 12 months xbox live memberships sitting there.

If it was possible to connect it directly from router to xbox, i would do this, but its in an attic and i am down two flights of stairs. The xbox cables are going through my chimney breast and have been platered over, its not so easy to move the xbox to it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

If any of you have an old / spare linksys router lying around you can change the firmware so that you can just plug it directly into your Xbox with an ethernet cable and use it as to "receive" your wlan connection.

Saves you a few quid on buying the wirelss adapter and works like a charm. Hated having a cable trailing across the room or else parking the laptop next to the Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Gallus

Hey looking for some help from someone.

I used this setup, laptops wifi, to connect to live. But I have changed over to UPC from eircom and now it doesn't work.

On the new router I have enable UPnP and forwarded ports
    * TCP 80
    * UDP 88
    * UDP 3074
    * TCP 3074
    * UDP 53
    * TCP 53
    and checked them with a portchecker.

But I can't connect. In the xbox connection test it doesn't even connect to the network.
    I am I missing something???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Here is what I did.

I went into Network and Connection Settings on Windows 7 (Same would apply to Vista and XP)

Highlighted both the LAN and the WLAN and right-clicked and clicked "bridge connection"

Then I went to the router page (I am using Eircom's Gray/Silver Box that they provide) at 192.168.1.254 and I went into Expert Mode.

I click "Configure", then "Advanced" and then "NAT".

I selected "Xbox Live 360" and then "Enable",

If you are going to be playing any FPS (Such as Halo3, CoD4 or MW2), I would also enable "Call Of Duty" as this opens the NAT. I used to be on a Strict before enabling the Call Of Duty NAT. Now I can get into games that are less than 65ms ping on Modern Warfare 2.

You should get some good results from this. If anyone is stuck, feel free to PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dodohert

Handy tip for mobile BB users.....

Check this out, a cheap wired/wireless router that allows direct connection of your O2, 3, Vodafone etc.. USB BB dongle to it thus cutting out the need to use your laptop or PC as your internet gateway.

Up until a few weeks ago I was using Windows ICS to connect my XBOX to internet now I dont need my laptop to do this anymore! Yahoo.

The company that supplies these routers is based in Ireland too, I purchased mine including VAT for €47.00

http://www.irishwireless.eu/shop/item.aspx?itemid=342

Anyone have any tips on how to get NAT settings to open using a macbook and a netopia 3347?

I managed to get the NAT from strict to moderate with a bit of tweaking. I could always turn the firewall completely off on the router, but would this be a bad idea?

^^

• Registered Users Posts: 18 crowbar27

my computer wont let me bridge what could the problem be

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kavanaa1

hey,

im planning on buying an xbox and want to play on xbox live except where Im living has no fixed phone line so was planning on getting the o2/vodafone/3 broadband usb dongle thats like 20 euro a month.

Is it possible to use this to connect the xbox to xbox live using one of these?

Thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

kavanaa1 wrote: »
    hey,

im planning on buying an xbox and want to play on xbox live except where Im living has no fixed phone line so was planning on getting the o2/vodafone/3 broadband usb dongle thats like 20 euro a month.

Thanks very much!

Used the 3 dongle the other night connected to the laptop, it worked seamlessly, but only because my new xbox is hooked up by ethernet to the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 djhesh

:mad::mad:gonna try this tonight. hope it works. been trying a few ways without success. Keep getting problems with my sharing. Cheers!:rolleyes::o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Gallus wrote: »
    Hey looking for some help from someone.

I used this setup, laptops wifi, to connect to live. But I have changed over to UPC from eircom and now it doesn't work.

On the new router I have enable UPnP and forwarded ports
    * TCP 80
    * UDP 88
    * UDP 3074
    * TCP 3074
    * UDP 53
    * TCP 53
    and checked them with a portchecker.

But I can't connect. In the xbox connection test it doesn't even connect to the network.
    I am I missing something???

Needs to be TCP 88, not 80. That might be the problem. Plus, you don't really need to open port 53, at least I never had to.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Alright lads. Long story short, the little brother bought q 360 over the weekend. Now, as someone who has played all his gaming on the dark side for the last 10 years ;)... I really have no clue really about setting up a 360 online.

Anyway, I'm just wondering after you do the bridging malark, is it just a case of sticking in an Ethernet wire from a mini netbook/laptop/pc (the former of which he owns) to the 360 to get it working?

I use the Ethernet for the PS3 but I'm sure I have another wire somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Alright lads. Long story short, the little brother bought q 360 over the weekend. Now, as someone who has played all his gaming on the dark side for the last 10 years ;)... I really have no clue really about setting up a 360 online.

Anyway, I'm just wondering after you do the bridging malark, is it just a case of sticking in an Ethernet wire from a mini netbook/laptop/pc (the former of which he owns) to the 360 to get it working?

I use the Ethernet for the PS3 but I'm sure I have another wire somewhere.

Cheers for the replies *facepalm*

Sorted it out myself eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 R4

i have vodafone usb broadband will this settings work for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

R4 wrote: »
    i have vodafone usb broadband will this settings work for me

I'm interested to know this too. I was trying to connect using vodafone usb broadband a few weeks ago using windows 7 on the laptop. Gave up after a few hours. The instructions in this thread don't work. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭derv60

just wondering is it poosible for me to connect my xbox to an 02 plug in network, using a xbox wireless adaptor?? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

kavanaa1 wrote: »
    hey,

Thanks very much!

Howdy,

I used to wonder the same myself. I had a Vodafone dongle into pc - ICS connection - xbox to pc wi-fi network - xbl. This worked fine, xbl rarely dropped and no problem with exceeding 10G with Vodafone.

Then i bought a Dovado 4gn Router and in order to get a better signal i placed it up in the attic. Doubled the signal strength of Vodafone usb dongle and I have a wifi network throughout house.

I think i have read in this forum that there can be some issues with the 3Bb and xbl, not 100% sure thou.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Hi does anyone know if you can use sky player on more than one xbox. Both my sons have an xbox but it seems like i can only use sky player on one. Seems a bit stupid if you ask me. Has anyone any answers. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Hi does anyone know if you can use sky player on more than one xbox. Both my sons have an xbox but it seems like i can only use sky player on one. Seems a bit stupid if you ask me. Has anyone any answers. Thanks in advance

Only one xbox and 4 computers I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Centre and then, on the left, click Manage network connections.

2. Right-click on your wireless connection, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Sharing tab and enable the 'allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection' option. Click ok.

Now connect the Ethernet cable to your pc and to your Xbox. Give it a minute to connect and then on your Xbox go to the system tab and click network settings. Next click 'test Xbox live connection'
    Just tried this and yes it works to the above point.I then get message saying system update is available,so when I try to update I get an update failed message and go to the usual support etc can anyone help thanks in advance.
    using 3 dongle and windoows xp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Will this not create a serious amount of lag though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Will this not create a serious amount of lag though.
    hi in relation to my pevious post I just turned off x box and on again and connected to xbox live updated console and its working perfectly very impressed because I had tried many times before without success and this time all seems to be perfect ,also able to use pc at same time and no change to speed etc etc thanks again

Advertisement