Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oiling up the Tape Players out in Montrose.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Ok. three things

1 So no Ronan Collins on Christmas morning. What do you go with instead? Who would you get as your guests to drive out to Montrose on Christmas morning to be interviewed? Would you get up and go out to partake in an early morning show in the knowledge that not many people are listening and not many people really care what you have to say. Its Christmas for Gods sake!

2 So give me your ideal Christmas day line up. Pretend you are Cathal Goan. What is your fantasy Christmas day Radio One line up, subjects, guests etc. And remember for every live prog, you need a team so you end up with a whole load of staff in also.

3. What is worng with tape records. Why does it have to be live. If a good documentary is made or a prog pre recorded two days before Christmas, what is really wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I work as a pub singer part time, and I understand that part of my job is playing when everybody else is out drinking. RTE is meant to be a service, and they should be providing that service when people want it, not when it is convenient for their staff.

These presenters get HUGE holidays anyway during the summer. The station
    pretty much runs the second string staff during this period. I mean we're meant to get some value for money for the 100k s of money we're paying them, arent we?

Give everybody Christmas Day & Stephen's Day off, but every other day is fair game. They should have to work those days unless they take them out of their already excessively generous holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Derryleigh wrote: »
    Ok. three things

1 So no Ronan Collins on Christmas morning. What do you go with instead? Who would you get as your guests to drive out to Montrose on Christmas morning to be interviewed? Would you get up and go out to partake in an early morning show in the knowledge that not many people are listening and not many people really care what you have to say. Its Christmas for Gods sake!

2 So give me your ideal Christmas day line up. Pretend you are Cathal Goan. What is your fantasy Christmas day Radio One line up, subjects, guests etc. And remember for every live prog, you need a team so you end up with a whole load of staff in also.

3. What is worng with tape records. Why does it have to be live. If a good documentary is made or a prog pre recorded two days before Christmas, what is really wrong with that.

I'm not f******g talking about Xmas Eve/Day/Stephens day.

I'm talking about the other 10 f****g days up to the 4th of Jan!!!!!

Easy on the bad language. Are ye this angry all the time? Its only radio!

Is your desire to have these people in providing YOU with a full service when Ireland is more or less on wind down driven more by jealously over their wages than anything else. I pay my licence fee but I dont think that suddenly I OWN these people.

I am not going to win this arguement with you but what SERVICE do you talk about exactly. As I said earlier, Ireland is a little different to other countries. Whether we like or not, the country including our politicians goes on two week holiday. People in all walks of life take time off to be with their children who are on hols. This is reflected in the sort of radio we hear, the sort of TV that is on (ie films etc), the sort of stuff that fills thin newspapers (ie reviews, 30 year state papers, quotes of the year etc etc).

And once again, you need guests as well as presenters for this full service you talk about. I bet it would be so much harder to put together a daily live, current affairs prog as normal on Dec 27-28-29-30-31 than it would be at any other time of year. Would you not agree.

As I said, until we ditch the whole Christmas holiday thing and go like the US where they dont do the whole two week holiday thing, then I think you will have to put up with a 3rd gear media service.

Anyway, you must be hard up when you want all this serious NAMA, recession, politics, debate, liveline strand to brighten your day at a time of year when most other people just chill for a while!!

Easy on the bad language. Are ye this angry all the time? Its only radio!

Is your desire to have these people in providing YOU with a full service when Ireland is more or less on wind down driven more by jealously over their wages than anything else. I pay my licence fee but I dont think that suddenly I OWN these people.

I am not going to win this arguement with you but what SERVICE do you talk about exactly. As I said earlier, Ireland is a little different to other countries. Whether we like or not, the country including our politicians goes on two week holiday. People in all walks of life take time off to be with their children who are on hols. This is reflected in the sort of radio we hear, the sort of TV that is on (ie films etc), the sort of stuff that fills thin newspapers (ie reviews, 30 year state papers, quotes of the year etc etc).

And once again, you need guests as well as presenters for this full service you talk about. I bet it would be so much harder to put together a daily live, current affairs prog as normal on Dec 27-28-29-30-31 than it would be at any other time of year. Would you not agree.

As I said, until we ditch the whole Christmas holiday thing and go like the US where they dont do the whole two week holiday thing, then I think you will have to put up with a 3rd gear media service.

Anyway, you must be hard up when you want all this serious NAMA, recession, politics, debate, liveline strand to brighten your day at a time of year when most other people just chill for a while!!

The way I see it the Public Service Broadcaster has an obligation to provide the paying public with a little better than bland mundane music and tapes over the extended Xmas period.

A small bit of imagination and foresight would do that.

Guests are not a prerequisite for discussion panels.

Are there no enough qualified people out in Montrose to sit down and have a discussion?

You see, I regard RTE to be in the entertainment business,and in the entertainment business, the staff and workers are most busy when others are on holiday.That's the nature of things.

If they don't realise that, they should be in another business.

• Advertisement

I can just imagine the bile and outrage which would be here if you had RTE people interviewing RTE people instead of real guests who are on holidays. You just will not get journos, politicians and others to contribute to programmes at this time of the year. They are away or entertaining their school going children. Fact of life when kids are on hols. Its hard work. I have three myself and took hols to co-incide with this.

And what is wrong with tape. Some of the best radio you will hear anywhere is on tape via documentaries, one on one interviews, features etc. I heard some really good stuff over the past week that you simply wont get listening to live radio.

And its via these taped pieces that you get imagination. That is the very epitome of imagination, whereby you sit down and put together a documentary with links and interviews. Live radio is cheap and lazy by comparison.

Anyway, just proves there is no pleasing ye whip crackers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

You just will not get journos, politicians and others to contribute to programmes at this time of the year.

I don't think that's true. The Christmas period could be a very valuable time to bring new blood to the various panels and guests spots. Don't tell me the newspaper business isn't full of ambitious young 'uns who would step over six slaughtered reindeer to get a slot on primetime.

I've been reading this from a neutral position, and I have to say I find the arguments of Flutter and Jonathan pretty convincing. There is a tradition that RTE all but shuts down over the Christmas fortnight, but it's not a good tradition. They could use those weeks better.

Even if they don't call in all their A-list presenters, it could be an opportunity to give flight time to the up-and-coming.

The lack of any system in RTE for training and blooding new presenters is one of the reasons the talent pool is so dangerously shallow that they have had to overpay, and overwork, the same few people all these years.

I can just imagine the bile and outrage which would be here if you had RTE people interviewing RTE people instead of real guests who are on holidays. You just will not get journos, politicians and others to contribute to programmes at this time of the year. They are away or entertaining their school going children. Fact of life when kids are on hols. Its hard work. I have three myself and took hols to co-incide with this.

And what is wrong with tape. Some of the best radio you will hear anywhere is on tape via documentaries, one on one interviews, features etc. I heard some really good stuff over the past week that you simply wont get listening to live radio.

And its via these taped pieces that you get imagination. That is the very epitome of imagination, whereby you sit down and put together a documentary with links and interviews. Live radio is cheap and lazy by comparison.

Anyway, just proves there is no pleasing ye whip crackers!

You are making some very good points.

However the whole mindset needs to change.

I wouldn't have a major problem with decent documentaries, interviews,but I do not want some geezer playing music from 0600 to 0900, then Tubridy on tape and then Collins 1100-1300.

Get a bleedin' grip buddy.

By the way the politicians are not on holidays, the Dail is not in session, but they are not on holidays.

Do RTE think that the news stops for 12 days.?

The Tsunami in the far east woke them up a few years ago.

Didn't learn their lesson it would appear.

Regarding the Tsunami or any such event, they can happen anytime and when they do, RTE and all other media must react accordingly whether its on Christmas Day, a Sunday or just an ordinary middle of the week day. I dont think wakening them up is the appropriate way of putting it.

Regarding new blood, dont make me laugh. I have been reading this threat on numerous occassions in the past and whenever a new person is brought in to relieve some of the main presenters, they get lashed out it by the likes of us who know nothing about them. But I put that down to the fact that we hate change on our trusty radios. No matter how good stand in's are and who probably dont get paid well, they get harshly criticised here.

And with regards to politicians, I shoul1d clarify that the Dail is not sitting so the vast majority of TDs are gone out of Dublin back home to constituencies. So they are not within easy reach of studios but I am sure if there was a big story in their area, they would be happy to take a phone call. But has there been any real big regional story that should have been covered but wasnt over the 10 days of Christmas on RTE.

As I said, they have a duty to provide us with proper news coverage and give us correct and up to date newsof importance and relevance to us, but the idea of us baying wolves just wanting Pat Kenny to go into studio on such a slow week and talk about, well, not much really, just because he earns 600k, it just does not make sense to me.

End of...

Regarding the Tsunami or any such event, they can happen anytime and when they do, RTE and all other media must react accordingly whether its on Christmas Day, a Sunday or just an ordinary middle of the week day. I dont think wakening them up is the appropriate way of putting it.

Regarding new blood, dont make me laugh. I have been reading this threat on numerous occassions in the past and whenever a new person is brought in to relieve some of the main presenters, they get lashed out it by the likes of us who know nothing about them. But I put that down to the fact that we hate change on our trusty radios. No matter how good stand in's are and who probably dont get paid well, they get harshly criticised here.

And with regards to politicians, I shoul1d clarify that the Dail is not sitting so the vast majority of TDs are gone out of Dublin back home to constituencies. So they are not within easy reach of studios but I am sure if there was a big story in their area, they would be happy to take a phone call. But has there been any real big regional story that should have been covered but wasnt over the 10 days of Christmas on RTE.

As I said, they have a duty to provide us with proper news coverage and give us correct and up to date newsof importance and relevance to us, but the idea of us baying wolves just wanting Pat Kenny to go into studio on such a slow week and talk about, well, not much really, just because he earns 600k, it just does not make sense to me.

End of...

How am I not making sense here??

Why am I so poor at putting my point across?

I just want a fairly normal presentation of events over the dog days.

Are there not plenty of qualified punters available.?

Do the BBC Sky news Cnn Al Jazeeerah all turn over to tape players in this period.

Now don't come on and say we Irish are unique in that we go 'underground' for the Xmas period.

RTEs effort is shyte. that's what I said shyte.

Ronan Collins on for two hours for the week...... FFS

• Advertisement

How am I not making sense here??

Why am I so poor at putting my point across?

I just want a fairly normal presentation of events over the dog days.

Are there not plenty of qualified punters available.?

Do the BBC Sky news Cnn Al Jazeeerah all turn over to tape players in this period.

Now don't come on and say we Irish are unique in that we go 'underground' for the Xmas period.

RTEs effort is shyte. that's what I said shyte.

Ronan Collins on for two hours for the week...... FFS

BBC SKY AL JAZEERA CNN = News Channels!

I thought it was entertainment you were after and here you are now comparing a relatively small radio station in a very small country to the worlds largest news outlets.

Backs up my point that RTEs biggest problem is that it is constantly compared to the BBC, an worldwide organisation. Bit like comparing Bohemians to Real Madrid. They will never win.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭bossdrum

I don't think it's too much to expect that the national broadcaster, subsidised by the taxpayer can't have live output 24/7 nevermind at christmas.

Why do they think that because alot of people are on holidays they don't want live output on the radio.

RTE are in the entertainment business so they should cater for when people are not working. It's the only time some people get a chance to listen to the radio as they are working for the rest of the year.

They seem to schedule their time tables to suit themselves and not their audience.
    Nightclubs, cinemas etc don't close down over christmas because it's holiday time.

They really are a pathetic shower but unfortunately nothing will change.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Just looking in here and to be fair to both Derry and Fluttering; Derek Mooney, Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy were live over most of the Xmas and gave us some live programming. Admittedly it was not very in depth but they did something live and reasonably up to date and yes, we don't need another 23 hours of NAMA or clerical abuse. Yes, there is less staff to research and locate subject and guests but there is still news being made and news needs to be covered to a certain standard. But overall it will slip over the holidays and compared to both Newstalk and TV3, RTE were overstaffed over the season gone.

That said, I am also one who is tired of much of the rethreaded and repeated programmes; not so much the fact that they are on over the season but more so some of what was chosen to be replayed. There is a fantastic library of archive shows and talent that could and should be replayed and aired (Some of it was, in fairness) and much as I like them both, Ronan Collins and John Creedon could have had somebody fill in for them in order to freshen and break in a new voice or two.

BBC SKY AL JAZEERA CNN = News Channels!

I thought it was entertainment you were after and here you are now comparing a relatively small radio station in a very small country to the worlds largest news outlets.

Backs up my point that RTEs biggest problem is that it is constantly compared to the BBC, an worldwide organisation. Bit like comparing Bohemians to Real Madrid. They will never win.

Ok I lost the run of myself a bit there, bottom line, they can, and should, do better than they are doing. What they are offering is to me an insult to the public.
    bossdrum wrote: »
    I don't think it's too much to expect that the national broadcaster, subsidised by the taxpayer can't have live output 24/7 nevermind at christmas.

Why do they think that because alot of people are on holidays they don't want live output on the radio.

RTE are in the entertainment business so they should cater for when people are not working. It's the only time some people get a chance to listen to the radio as they are working for the rest of the year.

They seem to schedule their time tables to suit themselves and not their audience.
    Nightclubs, cinemas etc don't close down over christmas because it's holiday time.

They really are a pathetic shower but unfortunately nothing will change.:mad:
    Exactly my points raised earlier.Suit yourself and screw the listener, anything will do for them.
    Hamndegger wrote: »
    Just looking in here and to be fair to both Derry and Fluttering; Derek Mooney, Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy were live over most of the Xmas and gave us some live programming. Admittedly it was not very in depth but they did something live and reasonably up to date and yes, we don't need another 23 hours of NAMA or clerical abuse. Yes, there is less staff to research and locate subject and guests but there is still news being made and news needs to be covered to a certain standard. But overall it will slip over the holidays and compared to both Newstalk and TV3, RTE were overstaffed over the season gone.

That said, I am also one who is tired of much of the rethreaded and repeated programmes; not so much the fact that they are on over the season but more so some of what was chosen to be replayed. There is a fantastic library of archive shows and talent that could and should be replayed and aired (Some of it was, in fairness) and much as I like them both, Ronan Collins and John Creedon could have had somebody fill in for them in order to freshen and break in a new voice or two.

They were glorified continuity announcers.

Good time to break in some new blood and give them something to work on.

Where was Marzie last Sunday??

John 'I'm a Doob' Murray stood in.

Not another break on €450k+ pa surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

That's not so bad IMO - I had to listen to Marty Morrissey :eek: as part of the rugby commentary Saturday
    :mad: FFS I can't even listen to him doing GAA commentaries.

Marty Morrissey doing rugby commentary :( - no wonder they lost :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Well it wasn't a sicky FB as they were advertising The Business earlier on in the week being presented by someone other than Murray, so it must've been planned annual leave or large fag break.

I like Murray a lot when doing The Business but I didn't think much of him when keeping MF's seat warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

humberklog wrote: »
    but I didn't think much of him when keeping MF's seat warm.

Probably afraid of getting cross contaminated, TBH I'd be afaid of that too :eek: - trying to keep MF's seat warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

do you think Finucane could get her act together?

I read she pulls down €450 k pa

she has 2 shows a week

a few hours with breaks

AND YET

I have to listen to her clearing her throat, slurping tea, chipping tea cups, dropping spoons, rustling paper

jeebus fricking hoist ! €450k for production qualities / values that wouldnt pass as community radio in NYC

Ireland is bankrupt in more ways than one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

John Murray isn't so bad. I think he deserves a better programme than The Business. Though Rachael English usually stands in for Marian, I thought?

Rachel English was doing the News at One - replacing someone else, probably. Is it something to do with teachers' holidays - if it's mid-term, or the Easter/Christmas/Summer break then they don't work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Barname wrote: »
    do you think Finucane could get her act together?

I read she pulls down €450 k pa

she has 2 shows a week

a few hours with breaks

AND YET

I have to listen to her clearing her throat, slurping tea, chipping tea cups, dropping spoons, rustling paper

jeebus fricking hoist ! €450k for production qualities / values that wouldnt pass as community radio in NYC

Ireland is bankrupt in more ways than one.

Sure its just like being in her kitchen, having natter over a pot of Lyons. What more could you ask for 450,000 a year then to feel like you are in her very presence?

/pass the rich teas there, would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mike65 wrote: »
    What more could you ask for 450,000 a year then to feel like you are in her very presence?

The Deeds to her house maybe?
    pass the rich teas ashtray there, would you?

Fixed it for you.

*cough* :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Plowman wrote: »
    Yellow.

Just heard Pat Kenny reference his programme will be running 9-11 next week so Tubbers is off somewhere (as is Tom Dunne on Newsquawk)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Just heard Pat Kenny reference his programme will be running 9-11 next week so Tubbers is off somewhere (as is Tom Dunne on Newsquawk)

could just be extended for the election - either way, tbh is a happy bunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Tubbers is off somewhere (
    The Jane Austin convention is on in Ibiza

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

tbh wrote: »
    could just be extended for the election - either way, tbh is a happy bunny.

didn't realise that they were just moving it back an hour rather than extending it. //shakes fist at God

Advertisement