Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oiling up the Tape Players out in Montrose.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

This issue really bugs me.. Kenny, Duffy, Tubridy and the rest all away for the two weeks, when the RTE minions like PBH and Myles "do I ever stfu up about history" Dungan are still in working. Is seems to substantiate my own belief that we have this elite in our public service that are treated like royalty.

On the radio now, Joe Duffy's boring interviews from the Arás.. with Joe emphasizing on tonight New Year's Eve... I was really fooled by that Joe, so he's up there now is he.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pat Kenny was in a couple of times this week but nothing tomorrow needless to say. Morning Ireland is the worst - 8 am start and no actual programme to speak of - just loads of "themed" nonsense.

Recorded interviews with Miriam now, Des Bishop's brother. Why dont they just announce at the start of the christmas that RTE radio is effectively closing down for the next two weeks?

was hoping somebody would be on DriveTime, but looks like its The Right Hook with Ger Gilroy... At least a sign that one person has borrowed the keys and opened up the station for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I'll have to say I enjoyed the Miriam interview with the Bishops.

Fcuking Ronan Collins on for two hours is what gets me.

Is it a coincidence that the prog. is sponsored by Odlums

Never varies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I must say I quite liked Ronan Collins these past few days. Maybe its because I am usually forced to listen to chart sh!te played ad nauseum in work, Ronan's show was a breath of fresh air. IMHO anyway!

• Advertisement

yeah OK... different strokes and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Exactly.

Everybody was pretending that it was New Year's Day in the Aras (probably studio 3) today. More nonsense, usual Mary Mcaleese bullsh1t, a person who gets paid multiples of the average working wage.... telling us all that things will be positive in the future, that we've come through hard times, the Irish people are great..... load of sh1te from her same as usual.. I have huge respect for her personal achievements, but none for her pontificating ..incidentally, has anybody got Alan O'Brien's mobile?

Least Mooney is making some effort. Seems to be a live show today. Actually started to like Mooney's show last year. He's a down to earth guy, asks direct questions, and cracks me up sometimes with his off the wall humour. Wonder why they never considered him for the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

I enjoyed Miriam O'Callaghan's interview with the Bishops (not the clerical sort), todays repeat is her interview with Brian Lenihan and Mary O'Rourke.

yeah,me too, thats the kind of thing you need if they HAVE to put the kip on automatic pilot for the two weeks.

Not that mindless fcuking music we got up to 0900 and then between 1100 and 1300.

For fcuks sake at least try to make it interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

These are all available to listen to on the Radio 1 site or download as podcasts, should our license fee be used to broadcast re-runs all over Christmas.

robo wrote: »
    These are all available to listen to on the Radio 1 site or download as podcasts, should our license fee be used to broadcast re-runs all over Christmas.

Yeah I meant to make this point before. I've listened to many of the programs already on the podcast.

That program with Brian Lenihan and Mary O'Rourke really annoys me. Accepting no responsibility for the situation the country is in. Thinking its good enough to say that "we'd do a better job than the other lot".. Mary O'Rourke is a pompous, arrogant, and condescending person. Sooner she retires or loses her seat, the better.

Off the ball seems to be live on Newstalk.. Different tape running on Radio now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I'm surprised Ronan hasn't joined Larry in 2fm's fab "new" lineup.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Tuned in too for the 2nd time around for the the Bishops. Good, decent radio. Still struck me as interesting and entertaining.

I found myself enjoying Tubridy too?! I'm not a fan at all but thought him a bit more relaxed and personable than I had previously. He turned in a good interview with Gavin Jennings on News at One aswell. Hmmm...could be the grog but I still couldn't help enjoying the bits of him I caught.

Thing about that Conversations programme that really annoyed me was the Pres's intros. Telling us that we're a wonderful, honest, strong, proud, decent, courageous, moralistic nation just stuck in my craw. Looking back on such a year of exposed self imposed financial and social abortions over a long period of time I really don't think she's doing her seat any justice by ignoring the more obvious...that these are values we need to gather in. Learn to form, understand at depth. She picked a peculiar year to stick such tags on a nation as opposed as using them as sign posts of where we should be going.

humberklog wrote: »
    Thing about that Conversations programme that really annoyed me was the Pres's intros. Telling us that we're a wonderful, honest, strong, proud, decent, courageous, moralistic nation just stuck in my craw.

She sounded like a christmas card and a get well card all in one. Arbitrary, painfully non-offensive drivel... same as her and Mary Robinson always deliver.

Yep, you have a point there.

Gratuitous rhetoric with no substance of any kind.

Jeez I nearly bust my buns this morning!!!

RTE coming on all aghast and po faced over the lack of gritting over the Xmas and New year period.???

Where were they????:eek:

Playing fokking records.

Talk about hard neck!!

Jeez I nearly bust my buns this morning!!!
    RTE coming on all aghast and po faced over the lack of gritting over the Xmas and New year period.??? Talk about hard neck!!

I never even thought about it like that, but it's a very valid point. It's similar to when the RTE presenters were giving out today about the higher level public servants not taking the 15% pay cut. Most of them are well over the 200k mark.

Like ffs, the Liveline presenter job was done last year by Damian O'Reilly and Derek Davis, and requires little or no experience. There is NO way Joe Duffy should be getting over 400k for this job. He should 60k and be happy with it. And if he doesnt like it, stick him in the archive department.

I never even thought about it like that, but it's a very valid point. It's similar to when the RTE presenters were giving out today about the higher level public servants not taking the 15% pay cut. Most of them are well over the 200k mark.

Like ffs, the Liveline presenter job was done last year by Damian O'Reilly and Derek Davis, and requires little or no experience. There is NO way Joe Duffy should be getting over 400k for this job. He should 60k and be happy with it. And if he doesnt like it, stick him in the archive department.

Auld Harry with the Dub accent you could sew a button on wouldn't be too happy with that ;);)

Auld Harry with the Dub accent you could sew a button on wouldn't be too happy with that ;);)

He will be if we give him Joe's job for 60k a year. Though being an RTE employee he's probably on that already.

• Advertisement

And the frikken rest:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Hi I am a new boards member but have been brousing these pages for some months now. And I have always wanted to ask Flutterinbantem, why cannot you not type proper English? For someone so concerned about how radio presenters speak and use diction, your weird posts here dont seem to add up. Eg, what does, bust my buns mean in your world?

Derryleigh wrote: »
    Hi I am a new boards member but have been brousing these pages for some months now. And I have always wanted to ask Flutterinbantem, why cannot you not type proper English? For someone so concerned about how radio presenters speak and use diction, your weird posts here dont seem to add up. Eg, what does, bust my buns mean in your world?

You spelt his name wrong.. ;-)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Eg, what does, bust my buns mean in your world?

At a guess and with little stretch of the imagination I'd say that it's a polite way of expressing that it gives him a pain in the hole. Perfectly acceptable terminology I'd have thought.

Well all the class appear to be returned to their desks and back sitting on their highly paid council gritters, with the exception of Wilson. Wilson!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

I'd rather go to jail, than pay a licence to those f*ckers.

There is no way RTE could continue with "normal" broadcasting over the Christmas. Where would they get the guests? Its not just RTE which virtually shuts down or takes holidays at Christmas.

When you consider how thin newspapers have been both local and national over the past couple of weeks and in some cases not publishing at all, I dont see why people are so upset that Pat Kenny is not on every day trying to fill two hours with topical debate when there is no Dail, no schools, no civil service operating, ie: not a whole lot of material to work with.

We tend to forget that each of those highly paid presenters are backed up by a team of relatively poor paid civil servant type researchers and producers. Like most other people, are they not entitled to some time off over Christmas especially if they have children who are also on hols.

In the US, the holiday lasts about two days and that is it, everyone is back to work, but until we go that way and shorten the 12 days of Christmas to 2, we should not expect all guns blazing on the radio or in the workforce generally.

Alot of people in other walks of life, take holidays and alot did not return to work until yesterday after being off since before Christmas.

The difference my friend is that RTE is a Public Service Broadcaster!!

It's specific task is to provide a service to the Irish public.

Did Aer Lingus all take holidays over Xmas?
    Did the pubs, the theatres?
    Did the Guards, the Firemen, the Hospitals, the Ferries??

Why do ALL the "top stars" at RTE piss off for the full nine yards at Xmas.

Surely they can do better than some faceless dude playing records from 0600 to 0900 then 2 hours of tapes and another boring geezer playing records from 1100 to 1300!!!!

That's putting the two fingers up to the public.

Don't give that poorly paid stuff, everyone in Montrose is relatively very well paid. Time they started earning it.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

The difference my friend is that RTE is a Public Service Broadcaster!!

It's specific task is to provide a service to the Irish public.

Did Aer Lingus all take holidays over Xmas?
    Did the pubs, the theatres?
    Did the Guards, the Firemen, the Hospitals, the Ferries??

Why do ALL the "top stars" at RTE piss off for the full nine yards at Xmas.

Surely they can do better than some faceless dude playing records from 0600 to 0900 then 2 hours of tapes and another boring geezer playing records from 1100 to 1300!!!!

That's putting the two fingers up to the public.

Don't give that poorly paid stuff, everyone in Montrose is relatively very well paid. Time they started earning it.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Firstly I am not your friend. I havent a clue who you are.

I am not so sure ALL the stars went away. I heard most of them at various stages over Christmas. Again, you miss the point. Its Christmas. Aer Lingus, fire men etc provide an essential service. Why is it essential to have live political or topical debate on air at a time of year when most of us are chilling out. I like to hear Morning Ireland and Pat Kenny and Liveline on a nomral week. But do you not think it would be a little weird to wake up to a full blown Morning Ireland on St Stephens Day or listen to a full on Liveline on New Years Day, state broadcaster or not.

As long as they are covering the main news issues that break, that is their duty. Just because they get paid so much does not mean that they should be in there every day just to keep you satisfied.

Guarantee you that if Pat Kenny or Ryan Tubridy was on over Christmas trying to cobble together programmes with few or no guests and little by way or topical debate apart from reviweing 09 and predicting 2010, there would be people on here complaining about wasting licence money etc.

And you obvioulsy know absolutely nothing about the workings of a radio station if you think that young reserachers and secretaries are paid well. I know people who worked in RTe and local radio here in the country where I live and they dont get as well paid as you think.

They are the BA's, sound ops etc that NEED to be on duty for a programme to go to air or do you think that Pat Kenny and Joe Duffy walk in off the street, walk into studio, talk on the mic, switch it off and go home again?

ANd no I dont work in RTE. Only ever been in there once in my life but I do know how radio programmes work as I do bother to find these things out before coming on here like so many others spouting rubbish about something they seem to know very little about apart from what they hear via their transisters in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

BBC Radio 4 seems to carry on pretty much as normal over the Christmas period.

• Advertisement

Firstly I am not your friend. I havent a clue who you are.

I am not so sure ALL the stars went away. I heard most of them at various stages over Christmas. Again, you miss the point. Its Christmas. Aer Lingus, fire men etc provide an essential service. Why is it essential to have live political or topical debate on air at a time of year when most of us are chilling out. I like to hear Morning Ireland and Pat Kenny and Liveline on a nomral week. But do you not think it would be a little weird to wake up to a full blown Morning Ireland on St Stephens Day or listen to a full on Liveline on New Years Day, state broadcaster or not.

As long as they are covering the main news issues that break, that is their duty. Just because they get paid so much does not mean that they should be in there every day just to keep you satisfied.

Guarantee you that if Pat Kenny or Ryan Tubridy was on over Christmas trying to cobble together programmes with few or no guests and little by way or topical debate apart from reviweing 09 and predicting 2010, there would be people on here complaining about wasting licence money etc.

And you obvioulsy know absolutely nothing about the workings of a radio station if you think that young reserachers and secretaries are paid well. I know people who worked in RTe and local radio here in the country where I live and they dont get as well paid as you think.

They are the BA's, sound ops etc that NEED to be on duty for a programme to go to air or do you think that Pat Kenny and Joe Duffy walk in off the street, walk into studio, talk on the mic, switch it off and go home again?

ANd no I dont work in RTE. Only ever been in there once in my life but I do know how radio programmes work as I do bother to find these things out before coming on here like so many others spouting rubbish about something they seem to know very little about apart from what they hear via their transisters in the kitchen.

My jaysus !!!!

You lanced a fairly big arse grape there my friend.

I'm perfectly aware how 'the system' works out in RTE.

I don't expect full blown MI on Stephen's day.

However, for my licence fee I do expect something better than Ronan Collins for two hours for a week after Xmas and constant repeats.

This organisation ,in my opinion, wants to be taken by the scruff of the neck and shaken into 2010 and all the changes and operating procedures that accrue from that should be implemented by a flaccid management who will reap the rewards of inactivity much like the councils those who run this country got caught out in this cold 'snap'.

Get the finger out Goan.

Advertisement