Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oiling up the Tape Players out in Montrose.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Yeah, it's crazy what they get away with at Montrose. They could easily cut a good 30%-40% of most of the top salaries there without any fear of their 'talent' being poached as even with that size of a cut most of them would still be out of reach of Today FM/Newstalk/4FM and the others. The holiday allocation could do with some attention as well. It's about time the minister for communications and the RTE authority grew a pair and sorted it out. Terry Wogan was earning less per hour than either Pat Kenny, G. Ryan, Ryan Tubridy or Joe Duffy during his last few years at BBC Radio 2's Breakfast show. And he was pulling in almost nine million listeners.... Go figure!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Finucane off, Tubridy off, Kenny off, Collins off, O'Rourke off, Duffy off - all at the same friggin time?
    I know we're all entitled to our annual leave, but Radio One is not a secondary school. It's supposed to be the flagship national radio station.
    How can they all go at the same time? Do they not have one of those big calender charts in the boss's office so the leave can be staggered?
    Honest to God, these people have zero moral authority when it comes to questioning the pay, perks and conditions of those in the Oireachtas.
    When Wogan was working full time on BBC Radio 2 and reaching c. 8 million people every morning, he had plenty of leave, but it was staggered so he was never off for a month or more.
    I notice I pay for a twelve month licence fee, not a 10 month one. Once again, the licence fee payer gets it up the ass with no lube.
    RTE management still has no cojones.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Finucane off, Tubridy off, Kenny off, Collins off, O'Rourke off, Duffy off - all at the same friggin time?
    I know we're all entitled to our annual leave, but Radio One is not a secondary school. It's supposed to be the flagship national radio station.
    How can they all go at the same time? Do they not have one of those big calender charts in the boss's office so the leave can be staggered?
    Honest to God, these people have zero moral authority when it comes to questioning the pay, perks and conditions of those in the Oireachtas.
    When Wogan was working full time on BBC Radio 2 and reaching c. 8 million people every morning, he had plenty of leave, but it was staggered so he was never off for a month or more.
    I notice I pay for a twelve month licence fee, not a 10 month one. Once again, the licence fee payer gets it up the ass with no lube.
    RTE management still has no cojones.

And when they are there, all ye do is give out and moan about them.

And when they are there, all ye do is give out and moan about them.

If you think it's okay that around 3 million euro p.a. "worth" of presenters should all be off at the same time, good for you Derryleigh.
    I happen to pay my share for that and am not happy. I believe some of em are very fine professionals and some of them are useless.
    If you're not happy about the tone of criticism of some of these very well paid public people, there's an 'x' on the top right hand corner of the page that you could click.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

If you think it's okay that around 3 million euro p.a. "worth" of presenters should all be off at the same time, good for you Derryleigh.
    I happen to pay my share for that and am not happy. I believe some of em are very fine professionals and some of them are useless.
    If you're not happy about the tone of criticism of some of these very well paid public people, there's an 'x' on the top right hand corner of the page that you could click.

it doesnt bother me simply because in life in general, I am not and never was a begrudger. But I understand that to make the world tick, we need begrudgers thrown into the mix or it would be a very boring place.

This craic about "my hard earned money paying them", have you worked it out, is it 0.1 cent or 0.2 cent of your hard earned money that goes into Pat Kennys back pocket every week?

But my nit picking aside, my real point with all of the negativity and bile directed towards radio presneters, is the fact that all other aspects of the work they do and entertainment they provide it TOTALLY blinded by peoples jealousy over money. By all means, be critical of items, but I just feel that jealousy over what they are paid blinds peoples judgements.

If they were not getting paid the sort of money you would kill for in the morning Tommy, would you be as upset? Be frank, does it boil down to jealousy over what they are paid??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Derryleigh wrote: »
    If they were not getting paid the sort of money you would kill for in the morning Tommy, would you be as upset? Be frank, does it boil down to jealousy over what they are paid??

Whatever about it being an issue of jealousy or not, it's a hell of a way to run a radio station.. I thought there was a female head brought in a few years ago, who had prevented them all from taking their holidays at the same time.

Personally, if Tubridy and Collins fukd off for good I wouldnt be unhappy, but the rest of them are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Personally, if Tubridy and Collins fukd off for good I wouldnt be unhappy, but the rest of them are pretty good.
    Tubs is fcking off to 2FM....do you listen to that station? :p

You can see it as an issue of jealousy if ya want to , Derryleigh. I see it as an issue of value for money for an organisation that I must help pay for - if I choose not to I could be jailed.
    You can belittle my 160 euro which I pay over for a licence fee if you wish but actually I believe in Public Service Broadcasting and am happy to pay it. There is much about RTE I enjoy e.g. Lyric, 2 orchestras and other cultural groups, sports programming and some fine broadcasters.
    It's because I believe in Public Service Broadcasting that it boils my urine to see a situation where the majority of the top level broadcasters on leave at the same time.
    Whether I like or dislike some of all of them is not the point nor is jealousy - at that level the salary scale seems to be still out of whack in relation to what the private sector can afford.
    It's this kind of abuse of largely public money that will threaten the bits of PSB that I love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Mr Tarmac, you are speaking sense.

Not that any of the leather elbow brigade with the wispy beards out in Nutley Lane give a fook.

They know they are untouchable.

Finucane gone AGAIN this weekend... Dont know why they call it The Marian Finucane Show anymore... they should be done for false advertising...

For the 100th time... get rid of Finucane and give the job to Rachael...

• Advertisement

And will be gone for some time to come.

Note the amount of 'Charity' operators operating out of RTE

Finucane

Tracey Piggott

Collins

Cahill.

These people are pissing down our necks, and there is little we can do about it.

But do we know where she actually is, Flut? They dont mention her being "on holidays" or anything..

Normally she disappears from 01 June to end August.

Chicago area is destination of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Joe O Shea's contributions over the space of a few years could be scrawled on the back of a fag box. Has there ever been a man more adept at delivering platitudes?
    He seems a well meaning sort but he should stick to his Star column.

Turned on the radio at 9.45 to hear what I think was Gavin Duffy (sounded like him anyway) standing in for Kathryn who was standing in for Turgidy. It was truly horrific. Now, I dont blame Gavin Duffy for this, he has zero experience at presenting and is usually just a contributor on these shows.

But why do RTE think it's okay to just throw in anybody to fill the position? These same RTE heads tell us that Tubridy, Kenny, Finucane are worth a fortune to present theirs radio shows, and that if supposedly we didnt have them there either i) RTE would lose advertising revenue or ii) somebody would offer the presenter better remuneration to coax them away from RTE. Yet, RTE consider that a guy with zero hours experience in radio presenting can adequately fill the position of our supposedly hugely talented stars.

I mean will someone in RTE get the story straight, for radio presenting do you need to be hugely talented/experienced/overpaid or can anybody walk in off the street and do it (as seems to be their opinion this morning)

Gavin Duffy was an RTE presenter of 'Marketplace' - a business show on TV in the 1980's and went on to be the first CEO (first, I think) of local radio station LMFM. He is a media trainer.
    Didn't like it much myself this morning but, in fairness, he is not inexperienced in radio.
    It'll be a nice warmup and profile boost for him ahead of taking over the less profiled Lunchtime slot on Newstalk.
    Talk about RTE helping out it's competition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't believe that Pat Kenny is still clocking off at 11.30. The kids are back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Gavin may be a media trainer & he's good as a panelist but he's a God awful presenter ... you know what they say 'Those who can do ... those who can't teach'

mike65 wrote: »
    I can't believe that Pat Kenny is still clocking off at 11.30. The kids are back!

Excellent point Micheál

That means 1.30 of Collins's shíte and the off button being hit kinda rapido.

They sneaked that one up on the listeners a Mhicheal.

:confused: What a crock!!

That means 1.30 of Collins's shíte and the off button being hit kinda rapido.

Leaves a hole in my schedule as well flut... Usually switch over to Newstalk at 12 for more talk radio, when Kenny is over. Now the dive for the radio is a half hour earlier, and what do I get .... boring Tom Dunne Show...

• Advertisement

That's where my Roberts internet Radio comes in .

Got it as a present, I will be forever in debt to the fooker who gave it to me;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Callan57 wrote: »
    Gavin may be a media trainer & he's good as a panelist but he's a God awful presenter ... you know what they say 'Those who can do ... those who can't teach'

"And those who can't teach, teach PE!"

Know its off-topic, but couldn't resist it.

Saturday View cannot be seen yet! Still Balfes schtik

Normal working day for everybody else... Tubridy off, Kenny off, Collins off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Turgidy was on Today FM this morning with Ian Dempsey... promoting his book

paid day off?

Kenny cried off with a bug at some point last week, I'm sure he's grand now.

Barname wrote: »
    Turgidy was on Today FM this morning with Ian Dempsey... promoting his book

Are you serious.. ? That really is ridiculous.. For a million quid a year, you would at least expect his full attention for the year.. It's about time RTE stopped pampering their golden boy and give him a bite of a reality sandwich..

Did he have the balls to address with Dempsey what he said about him a few months ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Small blessing fgor those that still listen to the mid morning slot of 2FM to have avoided another couple of hours of allegiance peldging to the Kennedy clan.
    I actually listened to some of Dave Fanning's show this monring...he's head and shoulders above Tubridy in terms of having some connection with his callers and isn't painful to listen to...I know not everyone can stand our Dave but I never minded him and I actually liked him when he filled in for G Ryan way back when.

Wertz wrote: »
    I actually listened to some of Dave Fanning's show this monring...he's head and shoulders above Tubridy in terms of having some connection with his callers and isn't painful to listen to..

Yeah I said the same thing on the other thread Wertz, he was far better than Tubridy... But it's unlikely that anybody in Ryan Tubridy Enterprises will notice..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement