Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying voice on radio

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to listen to any radio these days - that vowel shift from /ou/ to /ai/ is almost complete now. It's become standard, received (on this side of the Irish Sea) pronunciation to say 'ite' instead of 'out', 'tine' instead of of 'town'. It grates on my nerves so badly that I sit in the car in the morning swearing and shouting in protest.

The defining instance is that girl on Newstalk who does the voice fills - "fyeetir preef" she screeches (I think she's saying 'future proof', whatever that means)

I'm nearly 40 years old and I'm already a grumpy old man.

I don't know what I'm going to do when Marty Whelan retires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Lucy Kennedy, Weekend Breakfast with Baz & Lucy, she is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mattser

That female whispering RTE Radio 1 just before the ads. Isn't is about time they changed the tune at the start of the news. They used to do it every few years, but the present one, and that annoying whisper, seem to be there for 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

The DJ's. Always yammering on and on, just play the fcucking song!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Ray "fcucking" foley

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Mark Coleman from Newstalk. A man who can't complete a single sentence without hacking up a buckletload of phlegm. Truly stomach-churning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I can't stand that Marty Whelan fella, the guy really gets to me. He's being sacked on multiple occasions but RTE insist on finding him a new gig each time. It's disgraceful really, is the fella on some sort of life contract or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

This is an old thread, so I've probably mentioned it before, but George Hook. I think he's deliberately mispronouncing vowels and over-emphasising syllables, but my god, is he annoying. His constant references to his wife are beyond cringey. A twat of the highest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ray Shah - mother of god! :eek:

Any of those gimps that do ads with a posh accent, even for something mundane like bread. And the auld fella who does the latest Dairygold ad - a kind of nasal sneering bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

the morning djs on nova need removing.

they make it infuriatingly impossible to listen to that station.

FFS who picked them?

Sean moncrieff is not allowed to be sick or absent anymore, if i hear twink on that show again i may derail......

Ivan is annoying me now too, one trick pony that he is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

This is an old thread, so I've probably mentioned it before, but George Hook. I think he's deliberately mispronouncing vowels and over-emphasising syllables, but my god, is he annoying. His constant references to his wife are beyond cringey. A twat of the highest order.
    I read that EnTOIRE post in Georrge Hook's vOICE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Stephen P wrote: »
    When I've no choice but to listen to Gerry Ryan I find his voice very monotonous. Especially if his show is on in a doctors waiting room. It feels like an eternity!! :mad:

Good to know you don't have this problem anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pick from either Joe Duffy, Baz or that Hector guy for 3rd place.

1st place and 2nd place is a toss off between Nathan Murphy and Michael McMullan.

I think McMullan just pips it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Johnny fookin Lyons on 98fm (mentioned on page 35)
    Ray D'arsehole
    Ray fooknuts Foley
    Colm dumb cnut Hayes
    .......the list goes on

{rant over} :)

(Oh, yeas, I do realise this is a 2 year old thread lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Paul Claffey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Nicky Whatshisface on 2FM. He sounds like the cretin to end all cretins.

Advertisement