Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading Speed checks

Options
  • 11-12-2007 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

Saw a news piece on tv3 last night about, garmin nuvi's being able to download speed camera checkpoints off the internet. Are these free, any info would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

€35 per year only available for garmin at the mo

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Ther are tools on the net which will convert the Garmin files to other formats ..

Look here : http://tomtom.gps-data-team.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

My list is free... Just pm me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you..
    You can see it here.

Doesn't include any mobile camera locations, just fixed cameras and raised Garda platforms, but it's free... and if I'm feeling generous, I'll even convert it to another format for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

€35 per year only available for garmin at the mo

So they're flogging the information that visitors to the site gave for free...FFS

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

Well, it's a business model that has worked in the past in other countries. They have gone to a lot of trouble, have a content rich website, and do promise regular updates, so on that basis (and assuming we ever get our promised additional speed cameras) it could well be worth the 35 euro per year..

I just happen to prefer to the sharing/open-source philosophy. Having said that, I've handed out my locations file to hundreds of e-mail addresses so far, and have never received a single location from anyone in return. At least their concept may encourage more contributions from the public (in order to avail of a free subscription for a year).

Still don't know how you can copyright a longitude and latitude though!

And as the new speed cameras come online , it is possible that we could have a thread here to share information about their whereabouts !

sharkman wrote: »
    And as the new speed cameras come online , it is possible that we could have a thread here to share information about their whereabouts !
    Cracking idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sevenie

Good Stuff Krusty, nice to see someone going to a bit a trouble for no return. But I must say I live in the South East and have yet to see a Fixed Speed Camera, loads of cops in their cars but no permanant ones.

Might get a copy for my Garmin from you if you'd be so kind.

Thanks

Sevenie wrote: »
    Good Stuff Krusty, nice to see someone going to a bit a trouble for no return. But I must say I live in the South East and have yet to see a Fixed Speed Camera, loads of cops in their cars but no permanant ones.

Might get a copy for my Garmin from you if you'd be so kind.

Thanks
    Sure. Just pm me your e-mail address. ...and it's no trouble. I've collected them for personal use. So an e-mail here or there isn't any bother..

Do you really want more fixed cameras in the South East? :)
    You should start a petition!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sevenie

Ha Ha, God no the last thing I want is more. Thanks I'll pass on my email.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Sharkman, the link to that file on filefactory you sent me a while ago has discontinued but I have it on my laptop, so if anyone is looking for one for TomTom, I can send it out by email, just PM me your email. TT users only please.

on a side note, did anyone hear Ciaran from Irishspeedtraps.com on Matt Cooper last week? I thought he did well

Didn't catch it. Anyone have a link?

Did they happen to cover the subject of the legality of any device that indicates the existence of...<snip>...apparatus used to...<snip> <detect speed>?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I thought the speed checking was being privatised in the new year ,surely this will make the current speed camera locations obsolete ?

Yes, but part of the tender stated that all locations must be highly visible and be published .

_Brian_ wrote: »
    I thought the speed checking was being privatised in the new year ,surely this will make the current speed camera locations obsolete ?
    Sure. Then we scrap it all and start over! Think how much fun it will be! Like geo-caching, only with speed cameras... I can't wait. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Thats awesome fair play, now only if I had a GPS :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Thanks for the info Krusty, much appreciated ;)

Costs shoot up for Govt's speed-cameras plan21/12/2007 - 07:49:52

The Government's plan to outsource speed cameras has reportedly run into more difficulty.

Reports this morning say the cost of the project is much more that the original €25m estimate made last March.

The contract went to tender late last year and six bidders were shortlisted, but five years after the Government first announced plans to privatise speed cameras, the process still has not been completed.

Six hundred accident blackspots will be targeted once the project is implemented.

© Thomas Crosbie Media 2007

Did they happen to cover the subject of the legality of any device that indicates the existence of...<snip>...apparatus used to...<snip> <detect speed>?

the podcast link is gone....

the question was asked about its legaility but there is nothing wrong with it. All it is, is a sophisticated map of telling you where they are

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    the question was asked about its legaility but there is nothing wrong with it. All it is, is a sophisticated map of telling you where they are
    I'm well aware of of what it is! What I'm specifically wondering about is the legislation that suggests that any device that indicates the location of a speed measuring device is illegal.
    I'm guessing that it has never been challenged in the courts. I just wondered if the IrishSpeedTraps guys (who post here occasionally) had done any research or had an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There was a thread here not too long ago (can't find it for the life of me) on that very point, and someone, who I believe had looked into importing something like the RoadAngel into Ireland, was trying to claim that devices that indicated the position of speed traps, as opposed to detecting their signals was "indicating the existence of ..." or whatever wishy-washy terminology was used in the legislation. I reckon that's complete bullsh!t myself, and indeed, the head of the Traffic Corps who was on the radio with the guy from IrishSpeedTraps never mentioned anything about it being illegal. My argument was that if these devices were illegal, then markings on a paper map would be illegal too, which would be ludicrous.

I'd have imagined also that the IrishSpeedTraps people would have done their research first too ... any comment there IrishSpeedTraps ???

Alun wrote: »
    My argument was that if these devices were illegal, then markings on a paper map would be illegal too, which would be ludicrous.

exactly Alun....why would they have a problem with people obeying the speed limits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I wanted to buy them downloads for 35e but I'm abit paranoid about it....Incase some garda trys to pin me for having them.... I would like to see
    some law enforcement person say their legit before I buy them otherwise I'll wait around and see if anyone else gets done for having them on their satnav.

Timothy

exactly Alun....why would they have a problem with people obeying the speed limits
    That's not really the point. The point is that the Road Traffic Act suggests that they might be illegal. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bothered by the whole thing. I've collected these locations myself, and will proudly store and use them on my GPS receiver and send them to anyone via e-mail.. I'm just curious if the IrishSpeedTraps guys have done their homework, given that they're selling the data for 35 quid a year.

Here's that thread Alun.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Here's that thread Alun.
    That's the one, thanks!

As I see it, it all still hinges on the exact legal interpretation of ambiguous words and phrases like "device" and "indicates the presence of".

well, after today its going to be very much impossible to police this seeing as nearly every man in the country probably got a sat nav for xmas.

they can't stop everyone and check their sat navs. They are not an illegal device to have in the car, so what are they gonna do?

If you need to you can always delete the POI category instantly from teh unit if thats what you want to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Hi Lads,

Regarding the legality of our download we don't believe that it is illegal. We are not detecting the locations of speed cameras, we are notifing you of the most frequent locations where the Guards set up. We are not notifing you in real time, we are showing where the locations are based on historical data. All of this is a red herring anyway as the Guards, National Safety Council and Government said they will be notifing drivers of where the 600 new cameras are themselves. We have been on the radio with Guards who said they have no problem with our download. If there was a problem with legality then I think the the head of Garda Traffic Corps would have raised it when he was on Morning Ireland with us.

Ciarán

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

You can get the interview on our site irishspeedtraps.com

• Advertisement

Ciaran, do you think you'll be making the download available for TomTom's at any stage? I've heard of some programs that can convert the file types for various platforms, so I might look into that.

I currently have a POI category that has all the current locations for the TT, but I'll be needing to get the new updated file when these new privately operated cameras come into operation

Advertisement