Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading Speed checks

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Ciaran, do you think you'll be making the download available for TomTom's at any stage? I've heard of some programs that can convert the file types for various platforms, so I might look into that.

I currently have a POI category that has all the current locations for the TT, but I'll be needing to get the new updated file when these new privately operated cameras come into operation

We'll be doing a download for TomTom early next year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

We'll be doing a download for TomTom early next year.

You should consider doing a discount for boardsies, considering a large majority of Boards users gave you that information for free - the least you could do is do some sort of discount saying "Thanks". I certainly didn't think it would be sold on. *shrrugs*

Sully wrote: »
    You should consider doing a discount for boardsies, considering a large majority of Boards users gave you that information for free - the least you could do is do some sort of discount saying "Thanks". I certainly didn't think it would be sold on. *shrrugs*

We went one better than that and give a free subscription to anyone who submitted a location.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

We went one better than that and give a free subscription to anyone who submitted a location.
    I didn't get one yet?! :D

I didn't get one yet?! :D

There will be an email going out next week telling you what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well, I like that plan. It does give back to those who gave to you. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I got an email telling me about a free subscription, have been waiting for the link to it though:cool:

mondeo wrote: »
    I got an email telling me about a free subscription, have been waiting for the link to it though:cool:

Guess mine got lost in the mail? :P

mondeo wrote: »
    You'll get an email telling you what to do next week once I've eaten and digested all the turkey sambos!

You'll get an email telling you what to do next week once I've eaten and digested all the turkey sambos!

Groovy:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Has anyone else had trouble creating an account on irishspeedtraps.com?

I entered my details in the new user part of the page, the page refreshes and I get the following error 'Invalid email or password combination, please try again' under the existing user section.

Nephew wrote: »
    Has anyone else had trouble creating an account on irishspeedtraps.com?

I entered my details in the new user part of the page, the page refreshes and I get the following error 'Invalid email or password combination, please try again' under the existing user section.
    Hi,

It looks like you are entering your details in the "Existing User" section. You need to enter them in the "New User" for creating a new account.

As per a previous posters suggestion we now have a €10 discount for boards.ie users. Details here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055231678

• Registered Users Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can I just get this straight - a Garda pulls over into a farm entrance in August 2007, runs a speed trap for 45 minutes, someone passing by notices, tells irishspeedraps.com and then they charge us for a database with this and other waypoints marked. The vast majority of waypoints marked on their map are listed as being the site of a mobile speed trap months ago, surely the advice should be for people to just observe the speed limit rather than have their Garmin unit beeping at them constantly about nonexistent speed traps all the way from Dublin to Cork based on out of date information?

What about the 'static' Gatso camera in Sligo reported by somone last October? According to another contributor last December it was erected by a contractor as part of a roadworks project, is obviously a dummy and is pointing into a field, all this is on the irishspeedtraps.com web site under 'sighting history' yet they still have it marked as a static camera and are charging people for the 'information'.

coylemj wrote: »
    I'm not affiliated with IrishSpeedTraps in any way (and in fact give out my own list of Gardai cameras and raised platforms for free to anyone who wants it). If you don't like their service, why don't you not subscribe to it? It's a commercial offering, and people have the choice to either buy it or walk away.

I've tried their product and think it's pretty good in terms of value add and functionality (correct speeds for the road, appropriate warning distances, updates every other week, and the speed camera locations are also directional (I think?) but don't think I'll subscribe as I have my own list, and I don't think there are enough fixed speed cameras in Ireland to warrant a subscription (yet).

When my Garmin beeps, I glance at it briefly to ensure that my speed has not crept just over the speed limit (I do like to drive right up to the upper limit, if the conditions are suitable).

Don't forget that speed traps are supposed to be visual deterrents, rather than hidden. They are supposed to slow drivers down in targeted areas. Sadly the reality is often quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If Mr Byrne's get his funding they will be deployed on every motorway / primary road. How's that site going to keep up with them then if there mobile gatzo's / cams?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Alun wrote: »
    That's the one, thanks!

As I see it, it all still hinges on the exact legal interpretation of ambiguous words and phrases like "device" and "indicates the presence of".

One here too:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055222200

Hal1 wrote: »
    If Mr Byrne's get his funding they will be deployed on every motorway / primary road. How's that site going to keep up with them then if there mobile gatzo's / cams?
    I guess that's where their bread and butter will have to come from.. If they can keep up, they'll get a lot more subscribers. If they can't they'll lose them all.

I'd imagine a lot of people will be willing to identify the location of a camera (or mobile location) in order to get a free subscription for a year. I did. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deadlobster

Can anyone tell me whether database will work with any sat nav. Thinking of getting a nuvi 200w or maybe 250, or must I purchase a 710 or some other with camera alerts preloaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it's a POI (Points of Interest) database it will work with any Garmin unit, most subscrption services for this data offer a Garmin version of the file. You will need to download the POI Loader s/w from the Garmin website, it's free....

http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

• Advertisement

So the 2xx nuvi range are ok then for the database (poi) system? just to clarify since i'm the paranoid prat that locks his car, takes ten steps away then goes back to recheck even though he knows its locked.

thx mate

So the 2xx nuvi range are ok then for the database (poi) system? just to clarify since i'm the paranoid prat that locks his car, takes ten steps away then goes back to recheck even though he knows its locked.

Your like me:rolleyes:

Its nuts but I just can't help myself, everyone else thinks i'm a nut, I also wait for everyone to get out of the car so i can check everything myself before getting out. Girlfriend throws a wobbler, she reckons its a snub against her or summit.

Advertisement