Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

speed meter detector

Options
  • 22-01-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

So, according to S.I. No. 50/1991 — Road Traffic (Speed Meter Detectors) Regulations, 1991, speed trap or radar detectors are illegal to use in Ireland.

The statute in question calls them a "speed meter detector" and defines it as 'any device which is capable of being used to indicate the existence of, ....., electronic or other apparatus being used to give indications from which the speed at which a person was driving can be inferred.'

The statute further states that: 'A person shall not use in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle to which is fitted, or in or on which is carried, a speed meter detector whether or not such device is actually in use'.

Maybe we have had this discussion before, but where does that leave Satnav devices (such as Garmin or Navman), not to mention a Nokia with TomTom on it…. Seems that having an N80 (with TomTom and the speed camera maps loaded) in a car, even if it is in a bag in the trunk, is a crime?

Anyone any experience of this out of date legislative nonsense?

(Mod move this to legal if doesn’t work here).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Its a grey area alrght. I for one have all the fixed cameras or The ROI and NI stored in my GPS and have a waning set. Although i know where most of them are. PM me if you'd like the co-ordinates;)

I doubt a cop is going to start rummaging through your GPS system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Yeah, PDAs etc. with speed camera databases loaded are illegal under the act quoted. I believe, the way it is worded, technically a map with X's on it where the cameras are is also considered illegal.

Out with the Tipp-ex!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

TJJP wrote: »

The statute in question calls them a "speed meter detector" and defines it as 'any device which is capable of being used to indicate the existence of,

A GPS doesn't detect speed cameras, it simply give a location where one was at some point in time, if it's still there thats a bonus for the user:)

Same as a map with an X marked on it really...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Nah, the excuse for that is that you are a pirate with a lot of "contacts" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

milltown wrote: »
    Yeah, PDAs etc. with speed camera databases loaded are illegal under the act quoted. I believe, the way it is worded, technically a map with X's on it where the cameras are is also considered illegal.

Out with the Tipp-ex!

As cookie-monster says.

And 17 out of the 20 fixed cameras locations are just empty grey boxes at any given time. There are only 3 actual cameras which are rotated between the 20 locations (according to the guards). Your GPS loaded with these locations is not indicating the existance or detecting a speed camera, it is just alerting you to possible locations.

In any case this is a red herring as both the National Safety Council and the Guards say they are going to publish the locations of all the new cameras. They are hardly going to prosecute themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

In any case this is a red herring as both the National Safety Council and the Guards say they are going to publish the locations of all the new cameras. They are hardly going to prosecute themselves!

Yikes, so if I access the Safety Council site on my lappy and explorer cashes the site to disk and I put the laptop in me boot I could get done... or not.. really.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A GPS doesn't detect speed cameras, it simply give a location where one was at some point in time, if it's still there thats a bonus for the user:)

I'd agree with this. With as satnav you're not detecting the use of the speed detector, but you are simply being made aware of it's location. So in a way, it's a lot similar to the 'speed check ahead' road sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

crosstownk wrote: »
    I'd agree with this. With as satnav you're not detecting the use of the speed detector, but you are simply being made aware of it's location. So in a way, it's a lot similar to the 'speed check ahead' road sign.

pretty much correct. the same as a road sign or local word of mouth except the new technologies available now can carry this knowledge much further than before.

the satnav has no electronic radar or laser detection systems on board so it does not actually detect anything, therefore legal. all it does is remind you where the camera is because it knows where you are in relation to the fixed speed camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The one out side the Spa hotel in Lucan is always working.

There are a number worling on the M50.

If i hypothetically *cough* had one of these radar dector buzzer thingies bought in andorra for €249, they would show this *cough*

Hypothetically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

I have seen that Irishspeedtrap.ie got a contract with Garmin and will provide radar locations to them.
    So hopefully we will get this update soon.

Oh and thanks to all the contributors :-) But you won't get any penny. mouaoauoauoauoauoa!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

We don't have as many static speed cameras as other countries so they are only half useful. The speed detector devices are ok but if you are travelling well above the speed limit you won't have time to break down to the correct speed, if you really want to avoid speed traps by guards on the side of the road get a jammer but these are all illegal so buyer be warned

mick.fr wrote: »
    I have seen that Irishspeedtrap.ie got a contract with Garmin and will provide radar locations to them.
    So hopefully we will get this update soon.
    Wrong there Mick, we are not providing locations to Garmin. We are making them available as a download from our site. They will not be sold from Garmin's site and will not be included in any updates from Garmin.
    mick.fr wrote: »
    Oh and thanks to all the contributors :-) But you won't get any penny. mouaoauoauoauoauoa!!
    Wrong again Mick! We gave a free one year subscription to all our contributors.

We are now offering a €10 discount to boards.ie users. This is limited to the first 25 customers. Details here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055231678

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

BTW please remove them from your car when you park, I saw one being robbed form car in Eccles street in Dublin on saturday. He did it 10 meters in front of me. He was unable to get the lead though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

We are now offering a €10 discount to boards.ie users. This is limited to the first 25 customers. Details here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055231678

Perhaps you could use the €10 to start your own thread or pay boards.ie for some advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

A GPS doesn't detect speed cameras, it simply give a location where one was at some point in time, if it's still there that's a bonus for the user:)

Exactly, that's the problem. The law defines a "speed meter detector" as "any device which is capable of being used to indicate the existence of" a speed camera, not "detect the existence of".

I don't think it's been tested in court, but from the looks of it a Sat Nav with fixed cameras marked does indeed "indicate the existence of" a speed camera. The fact that it doesn't detect them doesn't matter, as the law doesn't state that "detection" is the issue.

Although as IrishSpeedTraps pointed out, the fact that there's currently only 3 cameras for 20 boxes means that you actually have a 75% chance of indicating the existence of a fortified bird box, which AFAIK isn't illegal yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Don't forget that GPS-based warnings are currently useless in this country, as our speed checks are almost all mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I got my 1yr free subscription but its useless to me as I have a TomTom. Any idea when you plan to supply one for this unit?

Also on the speed detectors, if you get caught with one, you will be prosecuted. I'm testimony to that

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I got my 1yr free subscription but its useless to me as I have a TomTom. Any idea when you plan to supply one for this unit?

End of next month hopefully. And your one year subscription will start from the time it becomes available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Guell72

Someone should make an Mobile phone App that you click when you pass a mobile speed trap. Then anyone running the app when they are near that area gets a warning signal. Kinda like a GPS, speed trap, Twitter :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I have these downloads from irishspeedtraps and their grand but I'm not in a hurry to renew the subscription as their just isn't enough speed camera movement going on right now to bother with it. When these new cameras are installed if ever I will renew the download.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

i have aradio in the car... just a normal radio.... FM Am CD player... nothing exciting...

it picks up a local station down here BEAT 102/103 one of the big ones in the south east...

anyway they brodcast speed trap locations daily.. where the cops have set themselves up.....

so by having this radio... am I now in breach of the law ???? :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This is a bit of a zombie thread lads, i'm going to close it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement