Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowboy Gardai

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

An Citeog wrote: »
    Afaik, Coppers is owned by an ex-guard and the policy is to let guards in for free. If a guard goes flashing his badge to get into any other nightclub, he's asking for trouble.
    not at all its common place, im good buddies with 2 cops and been out with em in cork,limerick galway(only been to coppers in dublin with em:() and a few more places and its the same criac.
    sure they call the badges disco passes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

It makes good business sense for a nightclub to be Garda friendly, as in the case of Coppers/Flannerys, the places are packed throughout the week due to the numbers, odd hours/time off, and chicks wanting to **** Guards.

It also makes good business sense for the newsagent to throw out a free cup of coffee, because other guards from the station will use the shop, buy loads of stuff EVERY day and the chances of being robbed are lower, since the crim will know that the shop is full of Guards.

Multinational employees get discounts in many places for these reasons. Business acumen.

Get over it people, it's a cup of coffee for **** sake. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Xavi6 wrote: »
    only today I've been informed he is on his way to Limerick by train with his buddies on the piss. Did he pay for the ticket? Did he f*ck. Quick badge flash and he's off.

if an off duty garda flashes his badge to get onto public transport/use a toll bridge for free, hes obliged by law to step in and act if anything occurs in contravention with the law

if he pays, hes entitled to completely ignore any law breaking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Kernel wrote: »
    It makes good business sense for a nightclub to be Garda friendly, as in the case of Coppers/Flannerys, the places are packed throughout the week due to the numbers, odd hours/time off, and chicks wanting to **** Guards.

It also makes good business sense for the newsagent to throw out a free cup of coffee, because other guards from the station will use the shop, buy loads of stuff EVERY day and the chances of being robbed are lower, since the crim will know that the shop is full of Guards.

Multinational employees get discounts in many places for these reasons. Business acumen.

Get over it people, it's a cup of coffee for **** sake. :rolleyes:

Exactly

Have a look at statoil onn the dock rd ive seen guards in their the whole time in for FREE coffoe and pay then for sandwich paper or bottle of water whatever.

They are only getting free coffoe, they are paying for everything else

Why wouldnt statoil give out free coffoe. it equals free security. No security staff needed.

Whens the last time u heard a statoil getting robbed?

I'll admit its not 100% pc but it isnt the worst thing in the world

I think companies adopt this "free " policy, dont think the gardai make them give out freestuff.

If people think its so great to get ALL THIS FREE COFFOE why dont they join?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

yayamark wrote: »
    Exactly

Have a look at statoil onn the dock rd ive seen guards in their the whole time in for FREE coffoe and pay then for sandwich paper or bottle of water whatever.

They are only getting free coffoe, they are paying for everything else

Why wouldnt statoil give out free coffoe. it equals free security. No security staff needed.

Whens the last time u heard a statoil getting robbed?

I'll admit its not 100% pc but it isnt the worst thing in the world

I think companies adopt this "free " policy, dont think the gardai make them give out freestuff.

If people think its so great to get ALL THIS FREE COFFOE why dont they join?

My God man the word is coffee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

It is true about the free public transport, the free coffee and usually free into niteclubs.

theres nothing cowboyish about it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

The Guards used to buy petrol from the Statoil I worked in, ****ing **** never got anything free from me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

TheNog wrote: »
    It is true about the free public transport, the free coffee and usually free into niteclubs.

theres nothing cowboyish about it

What do you call it so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

At least the yanks have to pay for their doughnuts!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Rob_l wrote: »
    its criminal for a garda to do it
    so its very different
    I want my police force clean too, but there's a difference between free coffee and a bribe.

If a shop/petrol station feels it would benefit from having a regular stream of cops coming through, that's fine, everybody wins.

If a nightclub owner wants the local cops to feel they owe the owner a favour, that's a whole other story.

There's a fine line here, something we as a society do not do well with.

• Advertisement

I want my police force clean too, but there's a difference between free coffee and a bribe.

If a shop/petrol station feels it would benefit from having a regular stream of cops coming through, that's fine, everybody wins.

If a nightclub owner wants the local cops to feel they owe the owner a favour, that's a whole other story.

There's a fine line here, something we as a society do not do well with.

Seems like the line is pretty bloody obvious to me.

If a politician did it, what would you say? Maybe the filling station wants politicians round because they are known figures and may help business. There is nothing wrong with giving politicians free coffee and if they get a few favours from it, sure where is the harm?

Nonsense, its a bribe, it maybe a stupidly small bribe but its still a bribe. If they got the sack for accepting any size of a bribe then they would be pretty stupid to risk their job for a free cup of coffee but they don't.

Do they get sacked for any level of corruption? Is there anybody watching to see if any guards are accepting bigger bribes? When was the last time you heard of guard getting done for accepting bribes or doing favours that brought to light by the guards themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I wonder do they pay tax on their Benefit In Kind?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

I used go out with a Guard and all of what the OP said is true. Plus they get free passage across the toll bridge without having to pay the toll. Or at least they did when I went out with him.

I don't begrudge them tho, the amount of absolute sh1t they have to put up with is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

maple wrote: »
    I don't begrudge them tho, the amount of absolute sh1t they have to put up with is unreal.

That's not much of an excuse though to be fair. A lot of people have to put up with sh1t in their job and don't get freebies.

Put simply, it's an abuse of power. We all know guards get a bigger set of balls once they have a badge in their pocket. I know it's just the way things are but that doesn't make it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

An Citeog wrote: »
    Afaik, Coppers is owned by an ex-guard and the policy is to let guards in for free. If a guard goes flashing his badge to get into any other nightclub, he's asking for trouble.

I think nurses get in free some nights too! And nurses also get in free to some pubs which are near hospitals...such as mcgowans in phibs....quick flash of the nurses badge and they're in free! I'd imagine it's for the same reason that the gardai can get in free to some places.... handy to have a nurse or garda around if there's trouble. Personally, I've no problem with that.

And as for gardai taking "bribes".... Do people honestly think that the gardai can be bought of by a free cup of coffee or a sambo? Cop on!

Also, someone said they've never heard of the gardai having trouble getting a mortgage....just cos you've never heard of it, doesn't mean it's not the case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

A few days ago I saw the owner of a cafe shop bring out a cup of coffee to a Municipal Policeman* who was on duty minding the kids at the school bus pick-up point. It was a freezing cold morning and the cop was grateful for the hot drink; now was that corruption at work or just a kindness to a fellow human being?

* Sorry but I'm not in GardaLand

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That's not much of an excuse though to be fair. A lot of people have to put up with sh1t in their job and don't get freebies.

Put simply, it's an abuse of power. We all know guards get a bigger set of balls once they have a badge in their pocket. I know it's just the way things are but that doesn't make it right.

i'm in work now and i'm on the internet surfing aimlessly. i also made a personal call to my sister in London earlier this morning and now i'm about to call my dad.

nowhere in my contract does it say i'm entitled to the above, its a perk of my job.

free coffee is one of theirs. and besides Coppers is a sh1thole, do you really begrudge them free entry there?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

maple wrote: »
    free coffee is one of theirs. and besides Coppers is a sh1thole, do you really begrudge them free entry there?

You think its just Coppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Hagar wrote: »
    A few days ago I saw the owner of a cafe shop bring out a cup of coffee to a Municipal Policeman* who was on duty minding the kids at the school bus pick-up point. It was a freezing cold morning and the cop was grateful for the hot drink; now was that corruption at work or just a kindness to a fellow human being?

* Sorry but I'm not in GardaLand

Filthy corrupt bastards!

He was obviously making the kids hand over their lunch money too, and threatening to burn down the shop if his caffeine needs were not fulfilled!

The scum!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    You think its just Coppers?

Anywhere else in Dublin apart from Flannery's and Coppers that you know of? Any guards I know would never use their badges to get into any other nightclub because it causes so much more hassle than it's worth. They can't really enjoy their night or get plastered because you can be sure the bouncers will be straight over if they need any help/have to call the guards for any reason.

It's not like they go around flashing their badges everywhere, looking for as many freebies as they can get. It's mostly the lads in uniform that get the free coffee thrown in with the sandwich that they pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bking

A lad i know is on the Dublin senior football team, and they (and there mates) get into Coppers free and skip the queue all the time. It's just one of those things. It's known for it, and as a Garda and Nurses hangout. I only go up with either him or my Garda mate cos i wouldn't be bothered to queue for half the night to pay 15 quid into that firetrap. Lots of people will though, cos they want to score a Guard or a nurse. Just sayin' is all...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Do they get sacked for any level of corruption? Is there anybody watching to see if any guards are accepting bigger bribes? When was the last time you heard of guard getting done for accepting bribes or doing favours that brought to light by the guards themselves?

1.Yes or the Garda ends up resigning..
    2.Have you ever heard of Garda Ombudsman?
    3.Yes as the vast majority of Gardai are decent people,who know right from wrong!
    They are only human,so if you can get a free cup of coffee,so what??
    Personally I would pay,but it is not a form of corruption ffs!!

People on this thread have been watching 'the Departed' too much...

Once again,could people please come down off their high horses?NOBODY is perfect,Gardai are HUMAN too you know......*shock horror:eek:*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

eroo wrote: »
    3.Yes as the vast majority of Gardai are decent people,who know right from wrong!

Once again,could people please come down off their high horses?NOBODY is perfect,Gardai are HUMAN too you know......*shock horror:eek:*

Here here, well said!

Personally I couldnt do the job they do. Bravo to them ;)

eroo wrote: »

I have heard of the garda ombudsman, I've just never heard of them doing any work.

Its corruption if a crime occurs in two locations and he goes to help the guy who gives him free coffee from being robbed instead of going to another more crime say a woman being raped for example.

At some point the scenario is going to occur where a guard will choose the guy who gives him free coffee over the other person in which case they have got a favourable treatment for free coffee which is wrong. Should we all go around giving the guards free coffee in the hope that if we need them, they'll turn up in the hope for more free coffee in the future?

Its not much to get free coffee but that doesn't mean its right which is what the thread was about. Its wrong but most people don't give a crap and most people would do it if in the same situation IMO.
    Cathooo wrote: »
    Personally I couldnt do the job they do. Bravo to them ;)

A lot of guards can't or won't do the job their being paid to do either.

Our local gaurd used to regularly walk into the kitchens of the local pubs and make himself a sandwich.

double post

At some point the scenario is going to occur where a guard will choose the guy who gives him free coffee over the other person in which case they have got a favourable treatment for free coffee which is wrong. Should we all go around giving the guards free coffee in the hope that if we need them, they'll turn up in the hope for more free coffee in the future?

No offence brim,but that is one of,if not THE,most ridculous posts I have ever seen.Gardai are trained to prioritise calls.They wouldn't respond to a car window being smashed if there was a rape in progress,common sense.
    But to say a Garda is going to respond to the owner of the petrol station,who has just had his window broken,over a rape is ridiculous mate!Seriously,there is not one single Garda who would do something like that....common sense in future posts please!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 moemar

I had to register just to give my opinion on this.

I worked with consultant engineers who were trying to win multimillion euro contracts from big multinational companies. They used to bring the companies representatives out for meals, drinks, to shows etc... while trying to win the contracts. Was that bribery or corruption? :confused: It's not as if there are brown envelopes being passed out or anything (which would of course be totally indefensible), it's a cup of coffee or maybe the odd sandwich. This type of thing happens in all walks of life. It's just that the gardaí are more visible that people see and hear about it.

Also the ****e about tackling big criminals - my uncle was responsible for bringing down some of the most high profile criminals this country has ever seen, so don't even say that the gardaí don't tackle the big criminals. In the process he has stared down the barrels of a number of criminals guns. As a result he had to have CCTV fitted around his house and a panic room fitted under his stairs in case of reprisals. Yes he can park in the castle and he has gotten a few perks but he earned it. When you put your life on the line in the course of your job then you deserve a few perks.

I am sick of all the garda bashing. Just because there are a few bad apples that abuse their power and act like dickheads people white wash all the force. I know of some terrible nurses who are supposed to visit old people in their houses. Daily, I see one of them walking to work at ten when she should be in at nine and on a saturday morning can be found spending three or more hours at outlet sales when she says she is out with patients. Do I say all nurses are bad as a result, or go on boards and start talking crap about cowboy nurses and how all the taxpayers money is being wasted on the thousands of nurses who do nothing, No I don't, because I know the majority of them do a good job and I'm not going to sully their name or judge them because of a small number of bad nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

moemar wrote: »
    I had to register just to give my opinion on this.

I worked with consultant engineers who were trying to win multimillion euro contracts from big multinational companies. They used to bring the companies representatives out for meals, drinks, to shows etc... while trying to win the contracts. Was that bribery or corruption? :confused: It's not as if there are brown envelopes being passed out or anything (which would of course be totally indefensible), it's a cup of coffee or maybe the odd sandwich. This type of thing happens in all walks of life. It's just that the gardaí are more visible that people see and hear about it.

Also the ****e about tackling big criminals - my uncle was responsible for bringing down some of the most high profile criminals this country has ever seen, so don't even say that the gardaí don't tackle the big criminals. In the process he has stared down the barrels of a number of criminals guns. As a result he had to have CCTV fitted around his house and a panic room fitted under his stairs in case of reprisals. Yes he can park in the castle and he has gotten a few perks but he earned it. When you put your life on the line in the course of your job then you deserve a few perks.

I am sick of all the garda bashing. Just because there are a few bad apples that abuse their power and act like dickheads people white wash all the force. I know of some terrible nurses who are supposed to visit old people in their houses. Daily, I see one of them walking to work at ten when she should be in at nine and on a saturday morning can be found spending three or more hours at outlet sales when she says she is out with patients. Do I say all nurses are bad as a result, or go on boards and start talking crap about cowboy nurses and how all the taxpayers money is being wasted on the thousands of nurses who do nothing, No I don't, because I know the majority of them do a good job and I'm not going to sully their name or judge them because of a small number of bad nurses.
    Well said.

I wonder would some of the people here have begrudged a cup of tea for the bike Garda who was shot recently in Dublin when he pulled a car over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

moemar wrote: »

I agree. kill the nurses.

Advertisement