Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions: December 2007

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Just had a sleet shower in Rathmines/Churchtown. Any flakes melted after a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Had a very heavy shower here around anhour ago, temp fell from 8.2C to 5.2C and there were a few flakes starting to get mixed in.
    I see it went lower away from the coast though, down to 3.8C on the Bray bypass
    http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm
    M11 Bray Bypass Dec 07, 14:06 3.8° C. 6.5° C. Wet 89% 12.2 km/h North-westerly Heavy rainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

Cold here in LK, reading 5.7c and falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its the 7th of December and finally temps are dipping below 4.2°C here!!, flippin' amazingly mild start to the month.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just had a sleet shower in Rathmines/Churchtown. Any flakes melted after a second.

Enjoying college?

We have the whole of December now to hope for some snow:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

3.3c here ATM. Breezy and clear.

cool, just got a 3.9c reading here in Limerick. Nice and calm before the big event. This could easily fool people into thinking : "ah yes looks like a calm crisp night........." (thats if they havnt seen a forecast of course)

Damomanye wrote: »
    cool, just got a 3.9c reading here in Limerick. Nice and calm before the big event. This could easily fool people into thinking : "ah yes looks like a calm crisp night........." (thats if they haven't seen a forecast of course)

Yep, tonight is the proverbial "calm before a storm".
    Some people will probably die tomorrow night as a result of the storm coming. Tonight they are going about their business ..posting on forums, putting up xmas decorations, grumbling about work, wondering what to buy loved ones as presents for xmas etc etc etc

All I can say is, boardsies...dont be that person..don't drive if you dont need to tomorrow night, don't go walking by the shore, don't be driving that windy road beside the cliffs..this is a bad time of year to loose someone, tomorrow night could be the worst weather in years in many places...

If you are heading out tomorrow night :-
    • Tune into the weather forecast on the car radio home from work
    • Check http://www.met.ie forecasts for your area
    • Check the boards weather forum for up to the minute updates on the developing situation
    • If its windy...please slow down..gusts will be severe, just get home safely, your loved ones would prefer that you arrive alive.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Longfield wrote: »
    Yep, tonight is the proverbial "calm before a storm".
    Some people will probably die tomorrow night as a result of the storm coming. Tonight they are going about their business ..posting on forums, putting up xmas decorations, grumbling about work, wondering what to buy loved ones as presents for xmas etc etc etc

All I can say is, boardsies...dont be that person..don't drive if you dont need to tomorrow night, don't go walking by the shore, don't be driving that windy road beside the cliffs..this is a bad time of year to loose someone, tomorrow night could be the worst weather in years in many places...

If you are heading out tomorrow night :-
    • Tune into the weather forecast on the car radio home from work
    • Check http://www.met.ie forecasts for your area
    • Check the boards weather forum for up to the minute updates on the developing situation
    • If its windy...please slow down..gusts will be severe, just get home safely, your loved ones would prefer that you arrive alive.

Wind picking up slightly now. Still a mere puff though. Good advice in the quote above. Take heed people.

Current Conditions for Galway:

Partly Cloudy. Cool. Light Variable Breeze.

3.4c / 90%rh

1010 mb falling slowly.

Today's Max: 6.2c

Non-discript day here today. A few showers in the morning and afternoon, with the odd heavy one coupled with gusty winds. Calm and cool in the evening. Temp feel to 2.2c earlier. Rising slowly again. The Calm before the storm.

Very wet morning here. 16.8mm rain so far and still raining.
    Had a period of very wet snow early this morning around 05:30, cyrrently all rain though and temperature 7.3°C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

And to add to Longfield's report, pressure falling 4mb/hr with the rate of fall increasing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Very wet overnight, clearing and sun popping out.

Mike.

Just took a walk to my local shop. Blustery gusts at times but nothing major yet. Currently 12.0c and slight rain

Pressure down 30mb since midnight.
    Temp 13C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sun gone and damp in the air.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Mothman wrote: »
    Pressure down 30mb since midnight.
    Temp 13C

Yes amazing drop alright.

Getting quite hairly out there already as the first lp moves through.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Pressure rising now (temporarily?) up to 982mb from a low of 980mb. Only 12.3mm so far today.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Pressure rising now (temporarily?) up to 982mb from a low of 980mb. Only 12.3mm so far today.

The pressure rose here from around noon till 2 but is now falling away again. Wind is gradually coming up here as well, just had a gust of 40mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Currently 7.7c
    Pressure 984.4hPa and falling slowly.
    W'ly wind gusting up to 20mph, seems to have quitened down a little, was a lot windier earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Pressure 979.8mb and falling slow.
    My all time low pressure is under threat and might go at 968.1mb on the 23/11/06

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote: »
    My all time low pressure is under threat and might go at 968.1mb on the 23/11/06

I think there is a good chance of you breaking your low record tonignt as the center of the low looks like passing close to you tonight.

23rd November 06 is also my record low. 964 mb. but I doubt that will be broken tonight with low a bit too far north. So far!!

Snowbie wrote: »

Even if the centre is right over you i don't think the central pressure will be lower than. My record is 969.2mb on the same day.

just had two very scary gusts here. They sounded very strong, like nothing iv heard all day. someone hold me...

My Latest reading:

Temp: 7.0
    Pressure: 984

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

4.8c here at the moment - cold and windy!!

A

My record low is 963mb in Dec 1999.

The last time I've seen a comparable pressure drop of 30mb in 12hrs was 26th/27th Oct 2002 when pressure fell and rose 30+mb within 24hrs.

This was the last of what I consider to be a storm with 70+mph gusts. I've scarcely seen 60+mph since.

trogdor wrote: »
    Even if the centre is right over you i don't think the central pressure will be lower than. My record is 969.2mb on the same day.

You are right Trogdor. I said earlier it might go lower, but Met Eireann now showing this low filling substantially as it crosses over the country.

Lows of around 973 mb in the east if they are right.

Pressure here at the moment is 981.0 mb. Not varying much from this afternoon. Wouldn't expect it to fall an awful lot lower than this as low passes to the north of me tonight.

But who knows what may happen.

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Lows of around 973 mb in the east if they are right.
    Some cat1 hurricanes dont have a central core pressure that low.

Current Conditions for Galway East.

Cloudy. Heavy Rain. Mild.

Strong to Galeforce WSW.

6.1c / 91% rh

972.0 mb falling rapidly.

Today's max: 11.5c

Today started with torrential rain that continued from the early hours. Bright, windy and sunny in the afternoon with a few passing showers. More prolonged and heavier showers in the evening with some very howling winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Marathon gas platform recording 91mph winds :eek:

• Advertisement

971.4mb and falling.
    6.9c and is dead calm out.

Advertisement