Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions: December 2007

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Max. here of 15.1c as well now falling away (14.5c at the moment).

Looking forward to a wet afternoon! Have only had 22.5mm here in the last 7 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Both the screen and AWS maxed out at 16.4C

Falling slowly, now 15.2C and the first drops of rain

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes exceptionally mild today, very pleasent even in the wind.

Very windy at the coast this morning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Wind gusting to about 40kmh, lots & lots of rain, possibly wettest day of the year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Very dark, very wet and very miserable! You'd swear it was later in the evening, darkest evening I've seen in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very extensive rain now - nice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Yup dark here too and heavy-ish rain has arrived here now. Judging by the radar there's plenty more to come.
    Off topic but if anyone is in the area of the n3 near dunboyne/fairyhouse avoid it like the plague- an absolute nightmare today with tons of diversions on the small side roads;http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=91209

Edit; Very heavy rain now-almost as dark as night and it's not even 4pm yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

5mm of rain so far and 12.8c atm and falling

Heavier now in east Wicklow. 4mm so far, but 1mm was early this morning

Shannon had 9mm one hour and 5mm the next, certainly very wet in places

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote: »
    5mm of rain so far and 12.8c atm and falling
    7.8mm and 10.6c since last post 25mins ago
    20.6mm/hr max rate

A clear shot has moved across here in the last few mins and you could see a moonlit sky for a tad but the rain is approaching here again.
    8.6mm and temp 10.7c

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

10.7c here atm. with 98rh. i couldnt believe me eyes when i saw 14.3c at 7.30 this morning. My max for the day so far is 14.6..in winter...in december...on a lashing rain day.......sheesh!

i want snow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just gone dead calm here all of a sudden - its eerie! 9.0c ATM from a high of 13.8 earlier.

A

Main rain band has cleared now. 6.9mm this afternoon - 9.9mm for the day (to date). 9.8c now.

9.7c and rain has stopped.
    8.9mm

An inch at Shannon this afternoon.

13.8C max at Cork AP is highest December temp there since records began in 1962

Currently 9.4C here and nearly calm

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Mothman wrote: »

Indeed it was very mild (and wild!). But when is a record a record? The current met site is in a different location to the original one and is now very close to a busy dual carriageway (20-25 metres away from the thermometers). the 1962 site was in an open greenfield site!

Mothman wrote: »

Was that your location shown on the 9'o clock RTE weather? She mentioned Croney Keerey in Ashford reaching a record high!!

A

Has anyone else noticed the crazy radar echoes from northern ireland in the last hour(21:30 image)http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html? On the 9pm weather evelyn cusack was keen to emphasise the threat of severe weather tonight with risk of thunder and gusts up to 130km/h
    Are these gusts supposed to be part of squalls because it's pretty calm here at the moment.
    Severe weather warning for NI too-http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

• Advertisement

Just had VERY heavy shower. Wind getting up now too.
    9.1c

Squalls will have more energy behind them and last for longer than gusts.They tend to happen in the fast moving atmosphere or within showers like this situation and dragged along the ground.Gusts are sudden sharp downdrafts from showers hitting the ground and spreading out in all directions(wind shear to planes or microbursts in TS)

Had a short heavy shower with small hail thrown in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Pouring down In Achill all day, i fear we will be washed out to sea. As bad as i have seen it in a long time. It just sounds so heavy with no let up. Will be intereting to see how many mm fell today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Rain lashin down here now. Just had a gust of 38mph

arctictree wrote: »
    Was that your location shown on the 9'o clock RTE weather? She mentioned Croney Keerey in Ashford reaching a record high!!

A

Don't have television so didn't see it, but that's me.
    Cronykeery to be exact.

I emailed the observation once I confirmed the screen reading. I formally send the observations after each month's end, so they wouldn't know till well into January.

I don't know what kind of record high it is, because It was as recent as 2001 when I started taking reading for Met Eireann. I read some where that 18c was recorded in 1948.

Cork AP temp today certainly is a station record, for either old or new site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Current Galway Conditions.

Occasional Showers. Mild. Breezy.

6.2c / 90% rh

996.9 mb rising rapidly.

Today's Max: 13.1c .

Today started cloudy and damp. Heavy showery rain for the afternoon. Cleared to showers in the evening, which brought a couple of short-lived cloudbursts. Became stormy for a couple of hours tonight with some severe gusts. Winds now a moderate westerly. A typical December day I would think.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

-2C (feels like -7 with windchill) in central Illinois right now (9:30pm). Light snow with 1-2 inches expected.

Windy and Bright here. Temp has been up and down for the last few hours. Now at 5.1c

A

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

pretty wild in Sligo today:

Thunder and lightening at 7.30, winds about force 7, very hefty showers and just now a very strong SLEET shower

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A bit lively last night for a while, some heavy showers. Today is bright and cooler, moderate winds.

Mike.

Advertisement