Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions: December 2007

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Oh as for current conditons, you know that :(
    No hole today and temp is 5.6C

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Great my favourite type of weather, Anticyclonic nothingness with gloom. And get used to it folks, gonna be around for a good few days, probably 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Thanks for that Mothman, I'd never realised you could have such large differences over such small areas, but I've only been watching actual figures for a few months now.

As a biker I actually like this nothingness, no sun in the eyes and no breeze makes for good winter riding conditions! Temp here now 6.7C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Mothman wrote: »
    A bit late into Dublin AP vs surrounding area discussion.
    For a start it won't be a typo, as its all automated. Yes the station is manned, but that to me means that the instruments are unlikely to be faulty. So an incorrect readings would be the bottom of my list for explaining 6C difference across couple miles.
    Dublin AP min was 0.8C

So rather than assume its wrong, lets start with theories as to why it could be right.

I think distance from sea and clear skies above Dublin AP, Snowbie being closer. This difference not usually mattering, and Dublin AP is fairly exposed, but maybe for once it did. Perhaps it was cloudy east of Snowbie and although Snowbie reported clear, radiation cooling was perhaps not happening, but a mile or 2 away, it was. It can be that local!

Past experience has led me not to doubt differences of readings across small distances, no matter how improbable it seems.

For example
    Clear sky, 1.2m temp +2C, 0.05m grass temp -6C. 8c difference in temp, distance 4ft. I do realise, that one temp is air and another an object, but I'm just highlighting a large range of temp over a few feet.
    Thats a good sum up MM and you make sense. Pardon my ignorance,a bottle of veno contributed to that:o
    With the AP asl will be generally 0.5c colder than here for a start.Distance from sea,being exposed and no UHI to interfere with local temps will be an additional .5c or 1c. So i think the AP is generally 1c or maybe 1.5c chillier than here ie:under this stratus muck today its 1c colder than here(unknown to be exact as the degree is rounded to the closest).

I have never saw before the extreme difference in such a short distance and probably unaware of the happenings if the posters on here didn't point this out.

I can just see the AP from here and the gradual increase in height up the N32. With this mile stretch of road from Clarehall shopping centre to the island of the M1/M50 roundabout the climate can be such different.Experienced sleet down here one year while the top of the N32 had lying snow,(thundersnow of Oct 2003 been a good example).

With all other possibilities taken into account,it was a fine tuning of climate to produce such temps last night there or hole if you will and makes sense but i never observed a vast 6c difference before over a close distance.Very Interesting.

On a side note,a certain continuous ENE sea breeze wind before,temp was 2c with a slight 5-6mph wind while AP reporting a 25mph at 4c why the difference? Well Howth cuts off the flow here and blocks the warmer sea breeze and temp dipped here under clear skies while the AP is more exposed even with the altitude and distance from sea i was 2c colder.
    Happens only in this setup and is also fine,(probably 1 mile north or south it would have been milder)as i did think at the time the AP or my equipment was faulty as i'm never colder than the AP. Just my theory but was consistent over 3hrs.

Mothman wrote: »
    Oh as for current conditons, you know that :(
    No hole today and temp is 5.6C
    Same here,temp fluctuation between 5.9c and 6.2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Dont forget about air movement too. Several times in Scotland I have stood in the same place and the air temp has dropped by 5c in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

Temp not rising very much here today. Currently at 3.8c from a high of 4.4c earlier. The cold air from the continent has reached us I think. Seems to be a few degrees colder on the east coast than points further west.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

arctictree wrote: »
    Temp not rising very much here today. Currently at 3.8c from a high of 4.4c earlier. The cold air from the continent has reached us I think. Seems to be a few degrees colder on the east coast than points further west.

A

Definitely looks like that. Temp here has been falling since early this morning, currently at 4.0°C
    Hopefully some of the clear air over there makes it here and gives some nice frosty nights. I really hate these cloudy nothingness days.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

5C and a very dark cloudy day. Temps still 9C over in the western areas.

Cold air is sure filtering under this stratus above us,temp is 5.7c and falling.
    Winds are SSE 5-10mph.
    Dp is 2.2c
    RH 78%
    1033.1mb

• Advertisement

Despite this stratus muck, its given the temp anomaly between Snowbie and Dublin AP, so there can be interesting events, though they are much more local.

The temp at Dublin AP rose 3 or so degrees shortly after midnight. This coincided with a slight strenghtening of the breeze that I assumed mixed up the cold air at gound level with the warmer air above.

All these things happen with me very often, but I suppose unexpected and baffling at Dublin AP compared to surrounding areas, because it is somewhat elevated and so cold air should not pool there.

I wondered this morning will the max and min be same temp today with 5.6C. I'm talking about a 9am to 9am Met day where observations are taken once a day at 9 GMT.
    Not quite as temp got to 6C during early afternoon.
    Now down to 5C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Currently 5.6c here, dark and dull too.

5.3c, cold and breezy. I know its boring but id prefare this to mild and damp any day.
    Gets me into the festive mood. More veno me thinks later on.

4.2C here, falling slowly all afternoon. Bit of a breeze too, 5-10 km/h.

Temp seems to be stuck now around 2.5c. Fully cloudy and a light southerly breeze.

The mild air came back around 2am this morning, now 4.7°C and overcast (again).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Same here,temp down to a low of 4.7c and gradually rose to 6.8c

4.5c here up from a low of 2.3c last night. TBH, I dont think we'll go much higher.

Max at 9am of 6.8C, seems likely to stay below that all day.

Dull as dishwater :(

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

much warmer over here in the mid wesht..8.3c with 69% Rh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Horrible. 100 grey, pretty still and chilly.

Mike.

Has dropped back to 6.3c from a high of 6.8c

5.8c overcast and chilly in the wind.

Sun has been out here for the last hour or so, but the temp has dropped from 6.7C back to 4.9C in that time with a slight SE breeze.

No sun here, currently 3.3°C, following the same pattern as yesterday.

Looking at the satellite images it seems that clearer air is on the way. My very rough guestimate is by 10 or 11 tonight it may have reached here. Tomorrow could be quite a nice day if it makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

5.3c here at the mo'

Overcast with a light SE wind.

No sun today
    4.8C, but up from 4.1C an hour ago.
    Grass min last night was a high 3.0C.
    Half way through month, I've recorded only 4 grass frosts. I recorded 12 in Oct...

Temp was down to 1C half an hour ago under a clear sky but has since clouded over and is now back up to 1.9C.

Seemed to be a clear patch overhead around Tallaght/Saggart all afternoon, was down in the Square earlier and cloud all around except overhead.

Fell to 4.5c at 1700 but back up to 5.3c.
    Cloud is alot more broken now drifting in off the sea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

4.5c and falling 64% RH
    1033 hpa and steady. Midlands

Advertisement