Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Donagh Station Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

pegasus1 wrote: »
    What kills off retail in Kilkenny high st. Is the traffic.....shopping was a lot safer and pleasant when the one way flow system was trialed...then the shopowners complained about that and brought 2way traffic back...
    Rubbish. Traffic was never a problem for High St shopping before and still isn't. The one-way system decreased traffic on High St, and as a result made it abominable everywhere else. Especially the road around Market Yard towards Xtra Vision and not being able to turn right - whose dumba$$ idea was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

New shop open there I see called "Only". Another Ladieswear shop, yawn :mad:
    Place is pretty much full, no empty units as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Well Mfitzy we at least know your gender. Have a nice christmas sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Hopefully will survive. Am I the only that still buys CDs and DVDs and from an actualy shop? Best shop in Kilkenny and would be sorely missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

This time 5 years ago Kilkenny had 5 record stores and now it looks like we could be down to 1. Hopefully HMV will rally through and the store in McDonagh Junction will stay up and running.

If the company goes belly up, I doubt the Kilkenny store would survive...
    Good shop for a Dealz I think. But I hope HMV stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Tbh I dogo into hmv an awful lot but I rarely buy as I find most of the stuff is over priced. Yes the games are usually 10e cheaper than gamestop but shopping online gets you such better deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Is it simply overheads and advertising that means a store like HMV can't compete on price with an online retailer?

the short answer must be no, the music business, dvd's etc have changed as a result of the internet, apart from it is easier and in most cases cheaper to buy on the internet, why would one travel to the shop.
    It is very similar to the small trader going out of business as a result of supermarkets, how long before we see supermarkets concentrating on on-line sales.
    We are in a world of change, all sorts of businesses have packed up, wh would have though the cigarette shop come papershop would disappear.
    Sad but that is progress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I buy most things online i do my banking online i top up my mobile from my mobile i buy my albums from Itunes everything is gearing towards that way of business, its a shame to see shops going out of business because of it but its the way of the world now. Im not saying its a good thing but in truth its the reality and its only going to get worse with regards of actually going into a shop to buy something as id say most shops will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

S28382 wrote: »
    I buy most things online i do my banking online i top up my mobile from my mobile i buy my albums from Itunes everything is gearing towards that way of business, its a shame to see shops going out of business because of it but its the way of the world now. Im not saying its a good thing but in truth its the reality and its only going to get worse with regards of actually going into a shop to buy something as id say most shops will be gone.

Wait till 3D printers take off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

It is very similar to the small trader going out of business as a result of supermarkets, how long before we see supermarkets concentrating on on-line sales.

HMV vs Internet Retailer is only slightly comparable to Supermarket vs Grocery Store. The grocery store can't compete on margins against a supermarket because of volume. Somewhere like HMV should be well able to compete on the volume front, that's why my query was about overheards. They are selling the same stock but going to HMV is going to be more of an experience than anything. Upward only rent is a huge problem for retail chains that had big expansion in the 10 years prior to the global credit crunch.

After watching a program on BBC about HMV and others going out of business they reckoned it was time for the stores to offer something that online retailers couldn't. Have to say there is hardly difference between being in a shop now than 5-6 years ago (except for the never ending 'Sale'). Of course this is mainly down to just surviving and lack of credit and resources to initiate a change that would allow them offer something online retailers don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I do feel sorry for the staff, on the other hand hmv ireland is seperate from The uk and not in administration so they should legally have to honor all gift vouchers. IF the store closes I can't wait for the new dunnes stores to open

So from what i hear on the radio HMV in the UK is gone into administration and HMV in Ireland is in receivership. How come they would do it like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

So from what i hear on the radio HMV in the UK is gone into administration and HMV in Ireland is in receivership. How come they would do it like that?

In the UK it's called administration and in Ireland its called receivership, but it's pretty much the same thing.

Dymo wrote: »
    In the UK it's called administration and in Ireland its called receivership, but it's pretty much the same thing.

Really? i thought they were different processes. Its a shame to see it happening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Really? i thought they were different processes. Its a shame to see it happening.

Administration covers both receivership and examinership. I was in a company that closed down and had the same receivers as HMV. They paid us everything.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Chances of HMV Kilkenny re-opening are very slim I take it? Who would even take on the business?
    Quite a loss, it's a shop Im very fond of.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

We didn't even have a chance to take advantage of a clear out. That was the best aspect of Zavvi closing.

Obviously the worst aspect is the people who have lost their jobs. Considering that most of the staff there were in their 20's and 30's it's another blow to an age group who are getting less and less job opportunities in Kilkenny. We're now down to one record store in the city. Great news for Rollercoaster Records but if you want variety, it's not great news at all.

• Advertisement

Wonder who will take up the vacancy, assuming HMV are gone now.
    Perfect size for Dealz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

mfitzy wrote: »
    Wonder who will take up the vacancy, assuming HMV are gone now.
    Perfect size for Dealz.

Away with ya with your pound shops...stupid shops...;)

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Away with ya with your pound shops...stupid shops...;)

LOL..you mean €1.49 ;). Seriously, beter than laying vacant. Unless by some miracle HMV is saved and re-opened, but would not hold my breath.

HMV definitely not reopening. Sad times for the staff involved.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0212/367382-hmv-ireland-jobs/

it is a disaster for those employed at HMV, pity it was not half the Dail they are in the main dead weight.
    Unfortunatel y it is a sign of the times, Internet, Ebay must have taken their toll on many shops and no doubt more to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

It is a sad time alright and i'll miss it for the bargains :(

I think we all agree it is sad for the staff, it is also a blow for kilkenny and any of the towns who had an HMV, whilst it is quite easy to write it is a sign of the times we must never forget the cost in human loss, in this case the so called recession or government rip off has little to do with the closure, it is progress the culprit.
    We laughed at Orwell's 1984, are we laughing now? Nothing can stop the onward march of technology, do we want to?
    The banks are forcing us to give up cheques, companies tell us to check their web site, newspapers are on line, but I do not see anyone giving me a computer to do all these things.
    Book on line get money off, get the best deals on line, forget the poor bastard who cannot afford a computer, progress indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

We laughed at Orwell's 1984,

Orwell's magnum opus certainly is a is a damming indictment of the effects and ramifications of oligarchical collectivism but I can't say I found much humour in there myself.

Maybe I missed something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Sky King wrote: »
    Orwell's magnum opus certainly is a is a damming enticement of the effects and ramifications of oligarchical collectivism but I can't say I found much humour in there myself.

Maybe I missed something.
    I certainly didn't see any humour in it, satirical tragedy certainly.

• Advertisement

What's the story with old Hmv unit? Appears to be in the process of clearing it out at the moment? Anyone know?

Advertisement