Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Donagh Station Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Do you seriously think free parking would be the answer, answer this, how would you stop train passengers taking all the spaces, then where would you park? If people are bitching at the cost of parking now where would they put their cars?
    I personally would not park in Market cross even if they gave me 2 euro an hour; and come to that supervalu in loughboy is a pain in the rear end.
    We really have only one dec ent place to park, "The Ormonde" and that is useless for the weekly shop.
    Right Doff you gave the reasons for going to Carlow, Dunnes is not town centre, nor is Lidl, the Fairgreen might be free; at the weekends it can be really clogged up; and yes a walk down the main street; sorry mate MacDonagh and High Street leave the place standing.
    There are times our city needs knocking, apart from Clonmel there is virtually no competition .
    The people whom I speak with, talk very highly of our city, is this a case of the grass being greener on the otherside.
    Have a nice weekend Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The free parking issue would be solved by all shops offering free two hours parking for every €10 spent.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Bravo, Captain Havoc, you solved the problem in one foul swoop, is it any wonder Ireland is in such a financial state.
    You are spending 10 euro and expecting a 25% discount, not from one store but every store in MacDonagh, well done.
    So who is paying for you to park the 25,000 bat mobile for free, because at that rate all the stores are going to have to jack up prices, which in turn will send all the shoppers to the discounters and less worthy supermarkets.
    I haven't a car so what discount do I get? Oh dear; no you have to pay for us more wealthy types to park for free; why are Kilkenny people being so mean?
    You have a shopping mall which is brilliant in the winter and it has a fair number of shops, at least Dunne's is Irish, and it appears you are prepared to drive to Carlow or perhaps even further, some might try the rally course to Clonmel with the apparently bad roads, four by fours only should attempt such a journey.
    If you prefer infinity and beyond Dungarvan has free street parking after 4pm, the Dunnes store gives one hour free parking in multi story.
    I really think none of you are really serious about this issue, so what about Market Yard what discounted parking there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The centre offers the parking for free, no shop is actually handing money over so it won't affect the shops themselves, I can't believe you didn't cop that, I also doubt Dunne's actually pay the parking. It may make MacDonagh more attractive to shoppers which would make it more attractive to business. Maybe the place is doing fine without free parking, I don't know, I was basing my last answer on previous poster's perception that it is not fine. Not all wealthy types have cars, I'm not in the wealthy bracket and have a modest car. You get zip foxy, tough titty for not owning a car but what do I get? I don't get nowt either foxy as I don't drive in town due to the traffic. The demand for parking outweighs the spaces, until such time as it reverses, there will be a charge for parking. I don't drive to any town for my shopping, I cycle into Kilkenny pick up my things and go. If it's after seven I'll drive in as it's quiet but Paddy Mullins is closed then and I generally tend to be able to pick up everything else in Eurospar. I do drive out of Kilkenny for my entertainment though, I do go to the cinema in Waterford, the dogs where ever someone has one running and I go a few times a month to League of Ireland soccer matches. I also use the car to get to cycling events around the country.

Is it an issue if none of us are serious about how an enterprise wishes to run it's affairs, MacDonagh is handy for me but it closes early? Dunne's in town has free parking after 6pm or so.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

You are right of course, it is hardly a serious problem; in fact one wonders who picks up the tab for the free hour! Market Yard, of course the Corpo.
    As the economy picks up we will of course gain more car's, so in essence the situation will never resolve itself; you will pay parking for life.
    Does the new cycle shop in Patrick St need a new thread? Then, one must take it you are well acquainted with Dungarvan.
    Happy pedalling, Foxy

What has happened to the cinema for MacDonough? It has suddenly gone very quiet on the subject.
    I know our other cinema has been up-graded, well so informed sources tell us.
    Though my recent visits makes one wonder whether or not the cinema will survive the next decade, as the number of patrons wasn't exactly pushing to get admission.
    The only reason of late was the Andre Rieu concert, which used two or three cinema's in the Dungarvan Complex.
    Will we get another cinema in the new mart complex, gotta be a good reason for our bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

What has happened to the cinema for MacDonough? It has suddenly gone very quiet on the subject.
    I know our other cinema has been up-graded, well so informed sources tell us.
    Though my recent visits makes one wonder whether or not the cinema will survive the next decade, as the number of patrons wasn't exactly pushing to get admission.
    The only reason of late was the Andre Rieu concert, which used two or three cinema's in the Dungarvan Complex.
    Will we get another cinema in the new mart complex, gotta be a good reason for our bridge.

You should start a petition for it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

What has happened to the cinema for MacDonough?

Plans for it were rejected. It was discussed in the following thread previously though no details on why:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056718151&page=8

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I see the A-Wear shop has all the stock removed. Barretts Shoes also have a Closing Down sale sign up too.

• Advertisement

Isn't that sad news, more stores closing, well I haven't been to the centre in about nine months, so that is never going to help; I ask why, firstly I have to drive through the city, or take the ring road, secondly I think parking is a pain, thirdly I can't get a coffee and find I need the loo without going on a route march and by the time you get back the coffee has gone; and worst of all it hasn't any shops I need.
    Anyone else add to this, but it is still a shame for those who work there, one could ask did we need it in the first place?
    How many days to Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Isn't that sad news, more stores closing, well I haven't been to the centre in about nine months, so that is never going to help; I ask why, firstly I have to drive through the city, or take the ring road, secondly I think parking is a pain, thirdly I can't get a coffee and find I need the loo without going on a route march and by the time you get back the coffee has gone; and worst of all it hasn't any shops I need.
    Anyone else add to this, but it is still a shame for those who work there, one could ask did we need it in the first place?

breathe foxy,breathe!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,291 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What kind of shops would you like to see opening? In lots of shopping centres you have to go on a bit of walk to get to the toilets. You should also go to the toilet before you sit down to have a cup of coffee.
    road_high wrote: »
    I see the A-Wear shop has all the stock removed. Barretts Shoes also have a Closing Down sale sign up too.

I don't know about a-wear they are meant to be a few left open in Dublin. The receivers might still be able to save another few stores in the country. I've often seen Barretts having closing down sales and they seem to never clothes.

Apparently Barrets shoes closed now. Shame, i thought they were very good for middle of the road shoes.
    Escpecially with no Clarks in Kilkenny it's a bit of void. 2 shops gone in MacDonagh in a few weeks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Apparently Barrets shoes closed now. Shame, i thought they were very good for middle of the road shoes.
    Escpecially with no Clarks in Kilkenny it's a bit of void. 2 shops gone in MacDonagh in a few weeks.

Barratts is in receivership and is up for sale, effectively. It applies to the UK & Ireland. Not the first time the company has hit choppy waters IIRC.

EDIT: Also worth noting that it has also closed in Waterford, and its been there for years.

See the Health Store has closed now as well? Not a great start to '14, gone from full to 3 empty units in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

Will be a few empty in market cross soon also. That clothes shop where heartbeat city was is selling up and the calendar shop will be gone soon. If not already.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

When I was there a bit before Christmas, ye seemed to have a few 'pop up' shops that only stay around for the busy period and then go. We have em down here in Waterford too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Rents have come down a bit in the last few years and landlords generally will accept less but the council rates are criminal. I looked at taking a shop on William street a few years ago but I just couldn't get past the €4,000 p/a rates figure. It just wasn't worth it. I suspect that most of these shops that are closing down feel the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

emeldc wrote: »
    Rents have come down a bit in the last few years and landlords generally will accept less but the council rates are criminal. I looked at taking a shop on William street a few years ago but I just couldn't get past the €4,000 p/a rates figure. It just wasn't worth it. I suspect that most of these shops that are closing down feel the same.

4000 per year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Kilkenny County Council’s average rate of Valuation is the lowest in the Country and is significantly lower than that charged by most other Local Authorities i.e. 21% lower than the national average.

Source:
    Long may it last.

See Boots are opening a new store- speaking to a staff member in Health Express, they got the bullet as they wanted Boots instead. Seems to be a MacDonagh pattern, ditch the smaller guys in favour of bigger names.
    Presume theyre keeping the High St store? Always mad busy there.

See Boots are opening a new store- speaking to a staff member in Health Express, they got the bullet as they wanted Boots instead. Seems to be a MacDonagh pattern, ditch the smaller guys in favour of bigger names.
    Presume theyre keeping the High St store? Always mad busy there.

Health Express isn't a bad store, I thought. Can there not be any room for two pharmacies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Sully wrote: »
    Health Express isn't a bad store, I thought. Can there not be any room for two pharmacies?

Yep plenty of space for pill popping outlets...have a look down high street...most popular breed of shop...multiplying like wabbits they are...

Are you outa your mind???;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Aging population needs more pills. My mother in law takes so many drugs even Pete Doherty would be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

But what other country is there a one in ten chance of passing by a shop and its a chemist...sorry make the one in five or less in some towns..

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Was on today and seen another shop fitted out between Eason and the health food store. Anyone any idea what is going in to it.

See a Regatta shop due to open beside H&M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

pegasus1 wrote: »
    But what other country is there a one in ten chance of passing by a shop and its a chemist...sorry make the one in five or less in some towns..

I think there's 4 in Callan alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Dymo wrote: »
    I think there's 4 in Callan alone.

Callan is obviously a very sick place :P

Advertisement