Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Donagh Station Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Speaking of Dunnes. Always check your receipts, I have been charged for full items that were reduced. Other day cashier didn't put through €12 in vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

femur61 wrote: »
    Speaking of Dunnes. Always check your receipts, I have been charged for full items that were reduced. Other day cashier didn't put through €12 in vouchers.

Ah,the old Supervalue trick;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Times are hard. They have to keep two stores going you know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Seen as there seems to be a bit of a Dunnes thread going here I shall tell my wee tale. Bought a six pack of cola (in a tin) in Dunnes on Kieran's St. Put it into my small shoulder bag and headed up to High St. Was in Porters when I thought I heard dripping. Sure enough one of the cans was leaking. There was the tiniest perforation in one of the tins. My bag was soaked and my jeans were covered in the near the end at my shoes. Well I went back to Dunnes and spoke to a manager. "How do we know something in your bag didn't perforate the can?" Well talk about putting a match to an oil tank. There genuinely was nothing sharp in my bag. The tin didn't spill until put in my bag because the piercing was so slight but once it wasn't upright it began to seep. He offered to replace the tin but I was livid and walked off. I wanted a new pair of ironically Dunnes jeans and a replacement 6 pack. GRRR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I would have thought that any perforation would have been obvious as the gasses would have forced out the cola leaving a sticky surface to touch. Any chance that by accident your bag might have knocked off something. Just thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Catbear the pack was wrapped in plastic and wasn't sticky to the touch. The perforation was so slight that unless the can was tilted it was unlikely to leak. However I put it height ways in my bag. I really can't think of anything that would have caused a perforation in a tin can. Plastic bag maybe but not tin. Very strange and an unsatisfactory encounter with Dunnes customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I was in there the other day on Saturday and it was very busy. Macdonagh Junction seems to be doing quite well now. Practically all the units are full which is quite an achievement in the times we are in.
    The H&M looks like a fine shop, seems to have an upstairs as well.
    Any word on the Easons shop? Good to see Stone House re open in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 maiby

I was recently in Dunnes in McDonogh Junctin in kk & got groceries. Bill came to about fifty/sixty euro . I used my own bags to pack the groceries. I had bought some sweets & crisps & asked for a paper bag to put them in to leave in to a house with children & was told I couldnt have a paper bag as I hadnt bought any clothes.
    :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

FYI the poster who said H&M was opening on the 20th was spot on.

http://www.macdonaghjunction.com/_fileupload/HM%20TO%20OPEN%20IN%20KILKENNY%20ON%2020%20OCTOBER.pdf

maiby wrote: »
    I was recently in Dunnes in McDonogh Junctin in kk & got groceries. Bill came to about fifty/sixty euro . I used my own bags to pack the groceries. I had bought some sweets & crisps & asked for a paper bag to put them in to leave in to a house with children & was told I couldnt have a paper bag as I hadnt bought any clothes.
    :mad::mad::mad:

Yep, customer "service" in that place takes the bleedin' biscuit alright. Superquinn ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

perhaps you could have got some new jeans for our friend, no joke is it, nearly as bad as our supervalu, eh do you have any free range chickens, no, oh pity, well they don't sell, mm one will never know if you don't have any, no matter they sell them in Aldi and they are Irish, good night and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

now that H&M are just about to open there door's to there new store and eason are going to open a store in the main mall area, the only empty unit will be where stone house books used to be in the restaurant area, i wonder will they develop the rest of the shopping centre phase 2 of it, down past dunnes where the row of exit doors are, another mall was suppose to go there with a big pennys, wish full thinking now i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

There was actually going to be two more phases to the whole the development that were laid out but never started. There was to be a residential block between dunnes and Nolan park and a hotel where the car park at the front it now.

linny wrote: »
    now that H&M are just about to open there door's to there new store and eason are going to open a store in the main mall area, the only empty unit will be where stone house books used to be in the restaurant area, i wonder will they develop the rest of the shopping centre phase 2 of it, down past dunnes where the row of exit doors are, another mall was suppose to go there with a big pennys, wish full thinking now i suppose

I doubt it anytime soon. I don't see the need. Though we'd all love an M&S ;).
    Actually think it would be a great location for a small/medium sized hotel. They were to build one out front (remember "opening 2009" :D) where the tarmac car park is. I think it would nicely complete the development as it looks unfinished out front and to a stranger you would not know MacDonagh was there.
    I know it has had it's knockers (including myself I have to admit) but MacDonagh Junction has been a very welcome addition to Kilkenny.

What brilliant news for Kilkenny and I guess residents as well, yes it is so easy to knock these things, and to a point it has deserved it, especially when see's Market Cross, held together by Superquinn or Valu, if Penney's moved to the station you would say that was the end, our High St well that looks a bit sorry for itself,. it is not a vibrant place to shop, might be if there was no traffic, has nobody asked why shoppers flock to Malls and why do so many stores prefer them.
    For any trader large or small there is a big financial commitment and lets hope they all get the money back, pity about the car park charges, but can't have everything, looks to be a happy ending regards to all Foxy

What brilliant news for Kilkenny and I guess residents as well, yes it is so easy to knock these things, and to a point it has deserved it, especially when see's Market Cross, held together by Superquinn or Valu, if Penney's moved to the station you would say that was the end, our High St well that looks a bit sorry for itself,. it is not a vibrant place to shop, might be if there was no traffic, has nobody asked why shoppers flock to Malls and why do so many stores prefer them.
    For any trader large or small there is a big financial commitment and lets hope they all get the money back, pity about the car park charges, but can't have everything, looks to be a happy ending regards to all Foxy

The Market Cross is not that bad at all and is still the heart of the city in retail. Some decent tenants there and 3 big names Superquinn, Penneys, Heatons etc. I'd imagine Penneys would stay where they are as well as open a new store in MacDonagh. The Market cross store is well located and does good trade. I disagree, I love shopping on High st and surrounds; if you think it's not vibrant then you need to visit some other towns up and down the country and even some of our close neighbours and it's buzzing in comparison. There's room for 2 decent shopping centres in KK, but not sure about a 3rd such as planned in the old mart site.

fair comment, you could well be right, and yes some of our neighbours are not exactly buzzing, I am told New ross is almost dead, haven't been for a long time, Carrick looks okay when you drive through but shopping apart from shoes a disappointment, Athy very similar, was never a fan of thurles, and Carlow well town planning is not good but plenty of shops all over the place, so in that sort of aspect you are right, keep it up regards foxy

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Easons opens there tomorrow (Tuesday 22nd) according to a notice on the outside of the shop. Looks all set... split level at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Easons opens there tomorrow (Tuesday 22nd) according to a notice on the outside of the shop. Looks all set... split level at the back.

They had the lights on in there just now. It looks like its going to be a very nice shop by the looks of it.

good Luck to Eason's, it usually takes me ages to get out of their stores.
    Thanks for the info, appreciated.
    Regard Foxy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

good Luck to Eason's, it usually takes me ages to get out of their stores.
    Thanks for the info, appreciated.
    Regard Foxy

They need to improve their exit signage.

very subtle, have a goodish day regards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

opened yesterday at 2pm. I believe it's a brilliant shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

patrickc wrote: »
    opened yesterday at 2pm. I believe it's a brilliant shop

Popped in yesterday....what a waste for a shop...the queue line takes up a lot of space...what are they expecting...they don't hold enough stock..

It's another Byrnes world of wonder...without the toys...and the stairs...it's like climbing a ladder...

Easons is/was meant to be a bookshop...stonehouse had a better selection...in a smaller shop:rolleyes:...have yet to pop into the new stonehouse but I know it will be better than easons..rant over...

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

I wasn't impressed - very small, dubreys would have a better range

Well, by the sounds of it I won't bother to make the journey to Kilkenny. Great pity as there is nothing better than a decent book as a present. The shop in Clonmel is a fine big store, and Dungarvan brilliant.
    Must make an effort to go to Stonehouse new store. Book shops need patrons, imagine a world without books, though in time no doubt E.books will take over, one good thing it will save the trees. Regards and a Merry Christmas to one and all. Farewell Foxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Agree with what has been said above. I found Easons to be terribly disappointing. Also don't understand how they can put a 'Half Price Special' label on books which are the same price in every single bookshop in town.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Agree with what has been said above. I found Easons to be terribly disappointing. Also don't understand how they can put a 'Half Price Special' label on books which are the same price in every single bookshop in town.

Legally they can if they priced the book for 28 consecutive days within the last six months at the price they're claiming it was. The last company I worked for was terrible for doing this but with furniture it's hard for the ordinary punter to know if something really was worth it. Since I started in retail, the whole way I shop is different, I never look at Was Price, Recommended Retail Price or After Promotion Price, the only way is to shop around, or so you'd think as sometimes what you think you're buying, you're not actually getting the same quality, sometimes I think being a criminal is more honest than working in retail.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

It was Paul Carberry's book 'One Hell of a Ride'. And the price on the 'Half Price - Price shown includes reduction' sticker was €19.99.

Now the book was never priced at double that anywhere as far as i'm aware. I'm sure they'd say it was just a 'mistake' (and perhaps they have changed the sticker), but i'll never set foot in the place again that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It was Paul Carberry's book 'One Hell of a Ride'. And the price on the 'Half Price - Price shown includes reduction' sticker was €19.99.

Now the book was never priced at double that anywhere as far as i'm aware. I'm sure they'd say it was just a 'mistake' (and perhaps they have changed the sticker), but i'll never set foot in the place again that's for sure.

Even the standard price on their website is €19.99, they aren't even good at skullduggery! Link to Easons site

Advertisement